International Driving Permit

TerryLH

Getting an International Driver’s Permit with 5-year Thai Driver’s license

I secured a 5 year driver’s license on a student visa while studying at a Thai University. Since graduating, I have left Thailand returned on a tourist visa. I need to get an International Driver’s Permit (IDP) from the Department of Land Transportation, but I am not sure how to go about it. From what I have found online, I may need my proof of residency, copy of my passport info page, a non-immigrant visa, a copy of my 5-year driver’s license, two photos and the fee of 505THB.

I have problems with two of the above, proof of residency and non-immigrant via (work permit)

I have moved and don’t have a proof of residency document, though I have extended my tourist visa through my wife’s proof of residency through the Pathum Thani Immigration Office.

Will this do for proof of residency?

And as mentioned, I don’t have a non-immigrant visa any more, only the visa exemption with two month extension for staying with wife. Will they require this no matter what, or overlook it?

Finally, does anyone know if I can get the IDP without the two items mentioned above and just my 5-year driver’s license, photos, passport, and the fee?

To save time, I would prefer to do this in Pathum Thani then back up in Khon Kaen where I got my 5-year driver’s license.

A non imigrant visa doesn't have to be visa to enable you to get a work permit, you can get a non immigrant O based on marriage.

Why was your visa extended for only 2 months instead of 1 year?

Maybe you just have to leave the country and apply for an non immigrant O based on marriage and return and get a 1 year extension?

Edited by PattayaParent

Perhaps I'm wrong, but aren't international drivers permits a scam?

I can't vouch for every Country in the World,but in the UK International Drivers Licences are issued by the AA & RAC and are perfectly legal,and accepted by almost 3 quarters of the Worlds Countries.

I can't vouch for every Country in the World,but in the UK International Drivers Licences are issued by the AA & RAC and are perfectly legal,and accepted by almost 3 quarters of the Worlds Countries.

Really? Interesting.

No....only the ones advertised on line are.....no such thing as an internantional driver's license, as you have correctly stated its an IDP and if its issued by the likes of the AA, RAC, AAA etc then perfectly legal, valid 12 months.

In essence an IDP is mearly a legalised translation of your current valid DL.

In the OP's case...I got a IDP based on a Thai year DL at Mo Chit and they never wanted to see a WP etc (which i do have)....2 photos', 15 mins and THB 500 was all it took to get one.

If you have a new credit card type Thai DL, you may not even need a IDP as this license is in English, and is accepted

IDP can be isssued by any country as long as they have signed up to the international treaty on them.

It is only valid in countries signed up to the treaty and NOT in the country which issued it.

It is also only valid when supported with a licence which has signed applicable treaty.

You can apply online, and get one for up to 10 years all perfecctly legitimate.

Most countries have a limit for the time which you can drive in that country on a IDP and suitable foreign licence, That duration varies country by country

Edited by KNJ

No this would depend on the country....and not aware of a "legal" 10 year variety, typically 12 month validity only

Similar if not the same in OZ, 12 months max duration..

If you had a drivers license, why not just renew the thing. I dare to say you need little or no documentation now to renew the thing, but I have no idea really :-)

Can I nominate this post as the most insightful of the day ?clap2.gif

Edited by Soutpeel

No this would depend on the country....and not aware of a "legal" 10 year variety, typically 12 month validity only

Similar if not the same in OZ, 12 months max duration..

The only 10 year ones I have ever seen are the "funny" online varieties which are not "legal" anyway

Thanks to all for sharing info.

This is for a friend who for whatever reason couldn't post the question himself.

He is leaving for a job in the Middle East in about a week, and was told by his new employer that he will need an IDP to drive there. He will apparently be supplied with a vehicle, so wants to get this figured out asap.

Soutpeel, thanks for the info in post #8. That is very encouraging.

Terry

Many thanks to those who offered info.

My friend got his permit this morning. He said the info you all shared went a long way towards making the process easier.

As many here are aware, what is on a government website and what happens in person is often very different.

Another example of how we are able to help others with situations/processes we aren't sure about.

Good job TV posters!

Terry