Megaupload Founder Dotcom 'Relieved' To Get Bail In New Zealand

webfact

Dotcom 'relieved' to get bail in NZ

Sarah Robson

AAP

Megaupload.gif

File photo. Source: wikimedia

AUCKLAND: -- Kim Dotcom is looking forward to reuniting with his family after spending a month in a New Zealand prison.

Dotcom, the 38-year-old founder of file-sharing website Megaupload, was granted bail in the North Shore District Court on Wednesday.

On his release, he told media outside the court that he just wants to go home.

"I am relieved to go home to see my family, my three little kids and my pregnant wife. I hope you understand that's all I want to say right now."

Dotcom has been held in custody since a spectacular police raid on his $30-million mansion north of Auckland on January 20.

He and three co-accused face charges in the US of racketeering, copyright infringement and money laundering.

Dotcom had previously been denied bail on the grounds he presented an "extreme flight risk" but Judge Nevin Dawson said this was no longer a sufficient concern to keep Dotcom in custody.

The Crown has indicated it will [more...]

Full story: http://news.smh.com....0222-1tn9x.html

-- news.smh.com.au 2012-02-22

footer_n.gif

This guy has been on and off of the radar for years and has had numerous legal entanglements. How he has managed to avoid time behind bars this long has been a mystery to me. I'm sure there will be those with anti-American and web freedom sentiments voicing their support (mostly because they miss downloading copywrited goodies from MegaUpload) but google this guy and his schemes (of which there are many) and you'll see he doesn't have internet freedoms in mind when he does what he does.