Where To Marry, Thailand Or Uk? Pros And Cons Needed Please.

johnlk

Hi all,

I've searched and googled, and spoken with friends, but would like to hear your opinions on this question.

I've been with my gf nearly a year and a half, and have been travelling back and forth to Thailand to be with her. I just returned from a 4 months visit over the winter.

We are thinking of marrying, but since speaking with a French friend, now wonder whether it's better to marry in the UK, opposed to our first idea of marrying in Thailand.

This friend married in France, and he implied that the Thai marriage ceremony/certificate, "wasn't of any worth". or words to that effect. I am guessing he meant in the eyes of the French authoritys.

He also suggested his wife "would be better taken care of", which again, I took to mean by the French goverment should anything happen to him while they are together.

Any clarification of this would be helpful, but remember in my case it would be the authoritys in the UK.

On the other hand, I have read here on TV that when applying for settlement in the UK, after marrying first in Thailand, the process is different, ie. easier with less hoops to jump through.

My situation is such that I cannot live permanently in Thailand for now, I have commitments and ties in the UK, and also in Bulgaria, so my time is divided between all 3. By marrying and making things permanent, we are hoping that then we need not spend so much time apart, she can be with me at all times.

Neither of us have married before, I am 46 and she is 25, and we have no children.

For now we are not sure which route to take, so would appreciate any help or pointers - pros and cons finacially or otherwise.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks guys, you've answered that side of things

He isn't so good at English so I was't sure exactly what he meant.

So what about the pros and cons of marrying in either country?

I mean in respect of a visa/settlement application.

Can't tell you.

But if there are assets involved, it is best to confer with a lawyer to see which country would give the best protection with a pre-nuptial agreement if such is desired.

Marry in Thailand, no divorce settlement to worry about. If she stays in the UK for a long time you will probably be liable for 'commonlaw spouse' but if she is travelling with you and stays there less than 6 months a year, she won't be able to get her hands on your stash.

Given the age gap - I would bet a pound to a penny that is what she is after.

Thanks again for your replies.

As I've posted this in the Marriage forum, I can say that this part of my question has been clarified, and thank you for any of the helpful replies.

Marrying in Thailand was our automatic first thought, but this guy got us thinking, but now we can get back to that plan.

The other questions I have are all visa-related, so I guess I should start a new topic under a different forum heading.

Thanks again.