Renewing My Marriage Visa - Some Questions

Hello everyone :)

The renewal of my marriage visa to my Thai wife is coming up next month and I have some questions. I already have the 400,000 Baht in the bank under my name for the past 3+ months, but I'm wondering if there are any significant changes from last year's renewal process that I should be aware of? Or do I just bring the same documents (passport, tabien baan, etc) again?

And another thing ...my wife and I live at our apartment (free, owned by her sister who is not living in Thailand) but she is registered in her own tabien baan of a house that she owns that's nearby. She rents that house to someone. Is that a problem? It's in the same city (Bangkok), just in a different street. I remember reading something like she needed to bring the tabien baan of where we live to the Immigration and that the addresses need to match or something.

Thank you :)

It sounds like what you are talking about is to renew your 1 year extension of stay based on marriage. This is not the same thing as a visa. It's best to get in contact with the office you plan to do the process with as they will have a list of requirements for you. I have included the list I was recently given from Jomtien immigration for the same thing.

1 yr extention requirements.pdf

Great! Thank you very much! One last thing ...how long before the expiration date of the current extension can you apply for the new extension? Is it possible to go say 10 days or 2 weeks before? I like to go early in case I'm missing some documents.

• 1 month later...

I recently changed from Retirement visa to "extension of stay based on Marriage " to save transferring so much money over (bt400K rather than 800 ).

I did this in Krabi ,and the process was a real performance ....the wedding certificates were not sufficient...they required actual photos of the ceremony . In addition to bills/letters showing that we live together ,they also required us to bring along a witness to verify this . This witness also had to be someone of both Thai nationality and registered as a Krabi resident . Totally unnecessary Information had to be supplied -almost down to my wife's shoe -size !

So. my question is ...in addition to the bank statements , will I be required to produce more photos etc etc next time around ? --Or is it just our particular Immigration people being their usual pedantic ..."how much tip you give me " selves ????

Photos are a normal requirement and may include on bed together with wardrobe with clothing hung together and in front of home with number visible. A check is required either with a home visit, visit to neighbors or having them appear with you to verify living together. Does not sound as if anything out of the ordinary occurred in your case and likely they will not be required next year but paperwork will always be much more than retirement. Another normal requirement at most locations is updated marriage ledger report so if that was not required it may be next time (to help prove a divorce has not taken place and marriage certificate is real).

^ The first time is always a bit of a "hassle" but the immigration official (in Pattaya that is) said to us this only needed for the 1st year. The next year's should be easier. But I will not take any risks. I already haven't touched my bank accounts and my extension is only up in July.

This is the documents I needed last year

1) Marriage Certification (Khor Ror 3)

2) Marriage Certification (Khor Ror 2) (Recent Copy from Amphur)

3) Tabien Baan Wife

4) ID Card Wife

5) Family Photos on piece of white paper

6) Map to the House / Condo

7) Condo Ownership papers

8) Letter from Condo that we Live there

9) Bank letter more then 400.000

10) Copy Bank Book First Page (Name)

11) Copy Bank Book Page before Last

12) Copy Bank Book Last Page (Last Updated Page)

13) TM 7 Immigration Form (3 Copies)

14) Photo Size 4x6 (3 x)

Everything Double Copy

Better be prepared or get send away.

Edited by MJCM

BTW Money in the bank for 2 months is the requirement.

Two months in the bank for first application. renewal requires 400k baht in Thai bank account for 90 days at time of application. Also don't overlook the PDF attached in this thread as mentioned photos of you and your partner required at your property in kitchen, bedroom etc etc. Pattaya immigration (Jomtien Soi 5) actively discouraged me from applying for Thai spouse visa; said it would be a very lenghty and painful process. Took the hint and applied for 'O' retirement visa & was processed in 10 minutes Seems to be a common experience at the moment

The requirement is 2 months for any application for Thai wife extension of stay per the rules (Police Order 777/2551)

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an

alien must have an average annual income of not less than

40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank

of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses

within a year.

BTW Money in the bank for 2 months is the requirement.

Two months in the bank for first application. renewal requires 400k baht in Thai bank account for 90 days at time of application. Also don't overlook the PDF attached in this thread as mentioned photos of you and your partner required at your property in kitchen, bedroom etc etc. Pattaya immigration (Jomtien Soi 5) actively discouraged me from applying for Thai spouse visa; said it would be a very lenghty and painful process. Took the hint and applied for 'O' retirement visa & was processed in 10 minutes Seems to be a common experience at the moment

I did it and many before me, but yes it's lengthy (I think we where in there for about 1.5 hours in total) and it can be frustrating at some times, when they want another copy of this or that or want it stapled like this and not like that, but I wouldn't call it painful. wink.png

Of course for them it's also more work, and what I understood everything has to be sent to BKK for approval, but this can also be hearsay, maybe a MOD could comment on this ?

Edit: //

Spelling

Edited by MJCM

Hi i went to apply for an extension of stay for my non o marriage visa today at jontiem, my Visa expires on the 01 Aug 2012.

I just came back into the country from working, so i have a 90 day stamp in my passport, i intended to go back to work outside of the country in June for approx 8-10 wks which will have taken me over the expiratory date of my multiple entry non o marriage visa, so i thought that i would apply for the extension of the 1 yr marriage early, only to be told that i cannot, because i can only do it 30 days before the end of the 90 days stamp in my passport.

I explained that i would be going back to work in June and coudnt wait until july to then apply for it 30 days before & then have to wait the additional 30 days for approval from Bangkok.

They explained that Bangkok would send it back because i had applied to early and more than 30 days until the stamp on my initail 90 days expires.

Can anyone tell me if this is true, that would mean that i would have to stay in country for 90 days???????????

bungy

True, you can not apply for an extension of stay till you have only 30 days remaining left. Often they will do it earlier if there is a reason such as need to travel. But as immigration said, an extension based on marriage is decided by a comite in Bangkok. That means it will go strictly by the book.

It does not mean that you have to stay in thailand for 90 days. It means you must be in Thailand in July and also must be in Thailand in August to get the final extension of stay. (You will get a date to return about 30 days later, but it happens that it takes more time and you will be told to come back again after some time).

A re-entry permit would allow you to leave and keep your permisison till August 1 alive. When you apply for the extension you get a new permision to stay (for 30 days) and you get a new re-entry permit and return just before that date.

If you often have to travel and don't plan to stay longer than 90 days at a time, a multiple non-O might be more convinient.

If i left in June and came back mid july, on entry would they not stamp me on entry another 90 days, thus putting me back to square 1 having to wait until the 90 day stamp runs out? or will they do it by looking at the original non o visa which runs out on the 1 Aug?

' quote;A re-entry permit would allow you to leave and keep your permisison till August 1 alive. When you apply for the extension you get a new permision to stay (for 30 days) and you get a new re-entry permit and return just before that date.'

I would not be able to have a re-entry permit before the extension because i am on a non o multiple?

You will get a new 90 day stay. If you travel often marriage extension of stay is not likely within your reach as you must be here for the 30 day under review pick-up and that can be extended by days or months at times. Much better to use multi entry non immigrant O visa as you currently have.

You could obtain a re-entry permit but it does not seem to do you any good as expiration date would be your current permitted to stay date and you do not return until after that by my count.