Bangkok Traffic Police To Get Tough On Cabs

webfact

In addition,, consistent with the same logic, if you ever had a problem with a taxi, YOU are an arsehol_e. ;-)

It's ok to complain about BKK Taxi drivers, but in my experience I think in general that they are not bad. Ok, I drive; but when I use taxis I never have, and never have had, a problem. They may not be trained, like black cabbies are, but they will genuinely get you from A to B in the best way they know how, and always use the meter - unless YOU are a prick, of course!

The police getting tough on cabs would be time better spent on police getting tough with motorcycle riders, and employing the laws that apply to them.

They only stop a few helmetless, car cutting and scratching, and road blocking cycle users when the lecky bills come in! As a driver, I find taxi's generally ok, and it's the <deleted> brainless and lawless motorcycle morons that need more policing - for their sakes plus mine!

-mel.

So"

- If the taxi driver tries to not use the meter. therefore I am a PRICK - anybody understand this logic?

- Car drivers / taxi drivers are all OK, motorcycle drivers are the sole cause of all the traffic problems?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they want to help ease traffic matters they should reduce the number of taxis. There are an extimated 70,000 taxis in a city that only requires about half that number. Another thing would be for the taxi driver to accept all fares who flag them. I am fed up with the crap of taxi drivers telling me they do not or will not go where I want to go. Failure to accept a fare should result in hack licenxse revocation. Now, why won't this ever happen? The taxi mafia.

Let them go blow smoke up someone else's ass.

Maaate! The transport dept. has said that if any taxi refuses to take you then contact the transport dept and give them the taxi number. When the owner of the cab goes to re- register the cab he will be fined B500 for every occurance! So it's up to you to report the taxi, pretty poor but that's all she wrote!

In addition,, consistent with the same logic, if you ever had a problem with a taxi, YOU are an arsehol_e. ;-)

It's ok to complain about BKK Taxi drivers, but in my experience I think in general that they are not bad. Ok, I drive; but when I use taxis I never have, and never have had, a problem. They may not be trained, like black cabbies are, but they will genuinely get you from A to B in the best way they know how, and always use the meter - unless YOU are a prick, of course!

The police getting tough on cabs would be time better spent on police getting tough with motorcycle riders, and employing the laws that apply to them.

They only stop a few helmetless, car cutting and scratching, and road blocking cycle users when the lecky bills come in! As a driver, I find taxi's generally ok, and it's the <deleted> brainless and lawless motorcycle morons that need more policing - for their sakes plus mine!

-mel.

So"

- If the taxi driver tries to not use the meter. therefore I am a PRICK - anybody understand this logic?

- Car drivers / taxi drivers are all OK, motorcycle drivers are the sole cause of all the traffic problems?

For being reasonable man, your logic here is illicit.

I wrote, in effect, in response to the previous poster, that if you get into a taxi that refuses to use a meter and you don't get out that, indeed more fool you, and yes, you're a prick unto yourself.

How that relates to your 'in addition, if you've ever had A PROBLEM with a taxi' beckons that you are an ars*hole is totally irrelevant, and illogical.

You widened the scope of one particular example I gave into all examples.

Get a grip man! (What was eating your beef when you posted in response? Where you in a Four Seasons hotel meeting, or something?)

-mel.

Interesting reading but doesn’t say anything constructive.

Under Dr. Anan I suggested to him taxi meters and in less than 3-months all taxis had meters and today years later they still do have meters. This proves things can be done in a constructive manner in Thailand.

In my suggestion for taxi meters was also the suggestion for Taxi Stands. This was also put in working starting at Malls and major office building. But of course with the Seri Thais syndrome that disappeared.

The BKK traffic can be reduced by stopping all the 70,000 taxis cruising around pumping carbon monoxide into the city atmosphere by them having drive to the nearest Taxi Stand after letting off its passenger. It works in Singapore, Seoul Korea, KL Malaysia, Tokyo Japan and the list goes on. But of course with Thais being better than other people maybe some authoritarian government will have to come in to being to knock the Thais in to their place. Don’t look to the Red Shirts because they are the Seri Thai free for all chaos.

If they want to help ease traffic matters they should reduce the number of taxis. There are an extimated 70,000 taxis in a city that only requires about half that number. Another thing would be for the taxi driver to accept all fares who flag them. I am fed up with the crap of taxi drivers telling me they do not or will not go where I want to go. Failure to accept a fare should result in hack licenxse revocation. Now, why won't this ever happen? The taxi mafia.

Seconded. What kind of crap taxi service refuses a fare? Have never seen this in any other country ever, it's ridiculous.

This used to really annoy the c-rap out me also until a mate told me what to do. Always open the back door when telling the driver where you want to go, if he refuses the fare, leave the back door open and walk away. This really p-isses them off especially if it is raining.

thanks, i'll remember that one!

• Like 1

It's not hard to follow the story to the source, last week (or was it two weeks ago already) a taxi driver was arrested for raping female customers on many, many occasions because he had AIDS. This is the typical and inadequate knee jerk response by the authorities in charge. It does absolutely nothing about the problem at hand and also does nothing to address the various legitimate complaints listed here in this thread. Incidentally, in the taxi I took today I noticed the number plates on the rear doors appeared to have been exchanged often. I am thinking female customer gets in at night, either records or notifies a friend of the number, he takes her to a dark and deserted alley, rapes her, drops her, changes out the plates....

Dangerous and scary to be honest. Don't let loved ones get in a taxi alone, especially after dark?

Additionally, more often than not the picture on the 'licensed taxi driver' plate in the front passenger window is not the guy driving when you get in the car...

Edited by EvolvingApe

Discipline about uniforms is a good idea. It makes them look more professional, and may get them to take a bit of pride in themselves. One of many steps needed.

As for traffic, my suggestions would be;

A congestion tax on private motor vehicles

Stop the police roadblocks for 'who-knows-what',stopping traffic that is 'on-the-move' as it should be. Police should not wave on, but should '0n-the-spot' fine cars/taxis stopped sitting in the left hand lane against the curb and obviously not going anywhere.

I agree with the comments about road-worthiness and seat belts. EG., An annual road-worthiness inspection for cars over 3 years old.

Seconded. What kind of crap taxi service refuses a fare? Have never seen this in any other country ever, it's ridiculous.

In the US cab drivers have the right to refuse any fare; if a refusal is bases on race then someone might have a civil suit.

There are places in American cities no cab driver would ever go.

I have no problem with taxi drivers, generally. It is easy to get a cab, they are cheap, and for the most part clean.

If you stop a cab and:

(a) he wont put the meter on

(b ) you don't like the look of him

( c) the cab is dirty, smelly, or looks dodgy or is not to your liking

(d) during your journey, you feel unsafe for whatever reason (speed, switching lanes, obvisouly insane or drunk, etc.).

(e) anything like these things.

It is your perogative to say "no thank you" close the door and walk away, or ask him to stop - maybe pay him a little extra over the meter to avoid an arguement for the sake of 10 baht, and flag down another.

I do however have a problem with them parked up along the side of the road, harassing people "you want taxi" etc. ..... having the audacity to put parking cones in "their spot" when they do get a fair, then I can't park my own car there.

I do have a problem with the taxi drivers that have fixed meters, and over charge as a result - these are most prevailent at the airport from my experience.

I do have a problem when they pretend to not know where they are going, get lost, and take you on the scenic route - generally if you pay attention and tell them the way you want to go, then this is not an issue.

For the most part - and the majority of the time - I think the cabbies are quite good. Sure, they are frustrating etc. but at least you can get a cab..... there are many capitals, including here in Asia, where cabs are both expensive and hard to come by.... Hong Kong, KL.... go to Australia or the UK ..... but most importantly, I give most cabbies great points for effort. I have often taken cabs not really knowing where I am going other than say "Sathorn" - then had the poor guy drive up and down the street like a lunatic, doing his best to udnerstand my crappy Thai ..... and they always get me there. Try that with cabbies back home and you get the attitude "listen mate, if you don't know where you're going how the bleedin' hell should I - get out and walk".

In conclusion, because cabs are plentiful, cheap, and generally cooperative it means you can live in and travel around bangkok quite conveniently and economically, without needing a car for most tasks. Yes, there are some horror stories - many (NOT ALL) are drawn on themselves however by being agressive with the cabbie or not using a bit of common sense. In over a decade in THailand, I have exercised prudence and never had any trouble whatsoever as a result.

Edited by corkman
  • Like 1

I always find these postings amusing, both the Thai governments viewpoint and the Thai Visa members.

1) I don't give a rats ass about how the driver is dressed, frankly I have never seen one that was dressed worse than any other Thai or foreigner for that matter. 2) I agree there ARE TOO MANY taxis, not only does this contribute to the traffic problem it also makes it difficult for a taxi driver to make a decent living (but then again it can't be that bad as they keep doing the job). 3) I accept and understand a taxis unwillingness to take a fare to some destinations. Lets see you want me to drive down Sukhumvit at 6pm to go to Robinson? Well it will take me one hour to drive you 5km and I will make 75 baht or I can sit here and take a fare that goes 1 km from the BTS to some blokes home which will take me 10 minutes and I make 35 baht and then I can do it again about five more times in an hour. No I don't want to take you to Robinson. Hmmm seems to me like capitalism at its best. 4) regarding the safety of the taxis, most seem to be new and in good order, but if you see a taxi that is in poor shape NOBODY IS FORCING you to get in it.

But regarding the bigger issue of the taxis causing traffic problems ... the CHIEF cause of the traffic problems is the POOR design and layout of the Thai road system. Drainage grates in the middle of the road (instead of along the curb), No proper grading of the road bed before the road is laid, so there are drastic undulations in the road. Stupid bridging of canals, other roads and what not, that are 20 percent higher than the road bed so there are drastic transitions and the drivers have to almost come to a stop to traverse the transitions. Manhole covers every 10 meters on major highways for thousands of meters, so the drivers have to drive slowly or beat the hell out of themselves and their vehicles. Entrances and exits from highways that are both poorly marked and also so short and abrupt that the drivers have to almost come to a stop to enter/exit the highway, causing massive slowdowns. Totally ridiculous tollbooth layouts and many tollbooths that are not open at peak times. Nope none of these things are the MAJOR causes of traffic congestion, its the taxis. 555555

Make that more than 100.000 according to BK Magazine recently.

And these are only the registered cabs.

There may be 100.000 registred cabs in Thailand, but that is not a single one too many on a rainy day! Have you ever tried to stand in the rain, getting more and more wet, when there are not any cab´s to get?

You make a valid point, up to a point. ;-)

But here we are discussing taxis, not the deficiencies of road construction and urban planning. Taxis contribute to traffic congestion, it seems widely agreed in this thread. There is a campaign to get them adhere to some minimum standards of behavior and improve traffic flow on existing roads. Discussions of urban planning are fascinating, but perhaps a little diversionary.

I always find these postings amusing, both the Thai governments viewpoint and the Thai Visa members.

1) I don't give a rats ass about how the driver is dressed, frankly I have never seen one that was dressed worse than any other Thai or foreigner for that matter. 2) I agree there ARE TOO MANY taxis, not only does this contribute to the traffic problem it also makes it difficult for a taxi driver to make a decent living (but then again it can't be that bad as they keep doing the job). 3) I accept and understand a taxis unwillingness to take a fare to some destinations. Lets see you want me to drive down Sukhumvit at 6pm to go to Robinson? Well it will take me one hour to drive you 5km and I will make 75 baht or I can sit here and take a fare that goes 1 km from the BTS to some blokes home which will take me 10 minutes and I make 35 baht and then I can do it again about five more times in an hour. No I don't want to take you to Robinson. Hmmm seems to me like capitalism at its best. 4) regarding the safety of the taxis, most seem to be new and in good order, but if you see a taxi that is in poor shape NOBODY IS FORCING you to get in it.

But regarding the bigger issue of the taxis causing traffic problems ... the CHIEF cause of the traffic problems is the POOR design and layout of the Thai road system. Drainage grates in the middle of the road (instead of along the curb), No proper grading of the road bed before the road is laid, so there are drastic undulations in the road. Stupid bridging of canals, other roads and what not, that are 20 percent higher than the road bed so there are drastic transitions and the drivers have to almost come to a stop to traverse the transitions. Manhole covers every 10 meters on major highways for thousands of meters, so the drivers have to drive slowly or beat the hell out of themselves and their vehicles. Entrances and exits from highways that are both poorly marked and also so short and abrupt that the drivers have to almost come to a stop to enter/exit the highway, causing massive slowdowns. Totally ridiculous tollbooth layouts and many tollbooths that are not open at peak times. Nope none of these things are the MAJOR causes of traffic congestion, its the taxis. 555555

I have no problem with taxi drivers, generally. It is easy to get a cab, they are cheap, and for the most part clean.

If you stop a cab and:

(a) he wont put the meter on

(b ) you don't like the look of him

( c) the cab is dirty, smelly, or looks dodgy or is not to your liking

(d) during your journey, you feel unsafe for whatever reason (speed, switching lanes, obvisouly insane or drunk, etc.).

(e) anything like these things.

It is your perogative to say "no thank you" close the door and walk away, or ask him to stop - maybe pay him a little extra over the meter to avoid an arguement for the sake of 10 baht, and flag down another.

I do however have a problem with them parked up along the side of the road, harassing people "you want taxi" etc. ..... having the audacity to put parking cones in "their spot" when they do get a fair, then I can't park my own car there.

I do have a problem with the taxi drivers that have fixed meters, and over charge as a result - these are most prevailent at the airport from my experience.

I do have a problem when they pretend to not know where they are going, get lost, and take you on the scenic route - generally if you pay attention and tell them the way you want to go, then this is not an issue.

For the most part - and the majority of the time - I think the cabbies are quite good. Sure, they are frustrating etc. but at least you can get a cab..... there are many capitals, including here in Asia, where cabs are both expensive and hard to come by.... Hong Kong, KL.... go to Australia or the UK ..... but most importantly, I give most cabbies great points for effort. I have often taken cabs not really knowing where I am going other than say "Sathorn" - then had the poor guy drive up and down the street like a lunatic, doing his best to udnerstand my crappy Thai ..... and they always get me there. Try that with cabbies back home and you get the attitude "listen mate, if you don't know where you're going how the bleedin' hell should I - get out and walk".

In conclusion, because cabs are plentiful, cheap, and generally cooperative it means you can live in and travel around bangkok quite conveniently and economically, without needing a car for most tasks. Yes, there are some horror stories - many (NOT ALL) are drawn on themselves however by being agressive with the cabbie or not using a bit of common sense. In over a decade in THailand, I have exercised prudence and never had any trouble whatsoever as a result.

Exactly. I have been visiting the Kingdom for 15 years and I have yet to have any issues with a taxi, other than the occasional taxi that drives way too slow. And I have taken a lot of taxis. What you don't want to use the meter? OK thanks there is another taxi behind you. Oh you don't want to go there? OK no problem there is another taxi behind you. Seriously the Taxis are not the blemish on the Kingdom, poor design and construction of roads is and all the garbage that Thais just dump on the side of the road.

• Like 1

In my opinion, the lack of decent public transport is a huge cause. I work in an office of 200+ people. Half of them drive to work. Sure, much of this is their pride (look at me, I have a car), but our office is 1km from any train (BTS, MRT, or otherwise) and I am sure the vast majority of my colleagues like a lot further from a train at their end.

So, they really have no other choice than to get in a road vehicle. Taxi, bus, min-van, private car..... whether that is a 20km journey across town, or a 2 km journey from a station to home / office.

The BTS is great - IF you live AND work near a station. BUT - have you tried getting it lately at rush hour. At the asoke station it took me 3-4 mins to get out through the turnstiles, much less how long it would take to pay, get in, stand in line to get on a train, and be squashed to death on the train. The BTS needs nore trains, bigger trains, better people flow (i.e. incentivise the use of travel passes, rather than charging you for a card) ..... and it needs more lines. Stop wasting your bloody money on Tablet pc's so farmers can become world class angry birds champions and spend it on trains..... same for MRT. And make it more affordable! Its too expensive for many Thais. I spend over 1000 THB per month on the BTS - for me its pennies - go to China and see the cost of their trains : they are practically free and 1000THB is a days wages or more to very many professional office working Thai's. For me its cheap, but for them it is not.

Dear people that have replied saying there are too many taxi's on the road:

(1) I bet you drive and rarely take a cab, so see them as a nuisance and not a resource?

(2) Have you ever stood in suit, waiting for a cab in either the pouring rain or blistering sun?

(3) Have you ever waited in line outside any major place of assembly such as Ratchaprasong or the Airport or anywhere else for that matter?

(4) In your home country, have you ever waited at night for an hour to get a cab due to the shortage?

If you answer Yes to any of the above, then why on earth are you complaining there are too many? Next time, instead of driving to Central World from your home on Thong Lor or Ekamai, take the BTS and maybe walk for a few hundred metres.

Edited by corkman
  • Like 1

But here we are discussing taxis, not the deficiencies of road construction and urban planning. Taxis contribute to traffic congestion, it seems widely agreed in this thread. There is a campaign to get them adhere to some minimum standards of behavior and improve traffic flow on existing roads. Discussions of urban planning are fascinating, but perhaps a little diversionary.

Actually no, I am spot on topic. Many posts complained about the traffic congestion being caused by the numerous taxis and by their driving habits. I am simply pointing out the reality. The roads are the cause of the traffic problems. Oh and the car companies are expecting to have something like a 12 percent increase in cars sales in Thailand this year. Nope gotta be the taxis causing the problem.

Clearly you are right, it has multiple causes. There is a campaign to address one of them, taxis, however effective it may be. If you think this discussion somehow is not about taxis/cabs, perhaps you should re-read the piece.

Actually no, I am spot on topic. Many posts complained about the traffic congestion being caused by the numerous taxis and by their driving habits. I am simply pointing out the reality. The roads are the cause of the traffic problems. Oh and the car companies are expecting to have something like a 12 percent increase in cars sales in Thailand this year. Nope gotta be the taxis causing the problem.

Dear people that have replied saying there are too many taxi's on the road:

(1) I bet you drive and rarely take a cab, so see them as a nuisance and not a resource?

(2) Have you ever stood in suit, waiting for a cab in either the pouring rain or blistering sun?

(3) Have you ever waited in line outside any major place of assembly such as Ratchaprasong or the Airport or anywhere else for that matter?

(4) In your home country, have you ever waited at night for an hour to get a cab due to the shortage?

If you answer Yes to any of the above, then why on earth are you complaining there are too many? Next time, instead of driving to Central World from your home on Thong Lor or Ekamai, take the BTS and maybe walk for a few hundred metres.

Yep the taxis are not the problem. The taxis are a business trying to cope with the conditions their business operates in. That being numerous drivers who are scared to drive but are driving anyway, poor roads and a huge number of vehicles on the roads.

But as another poster pointed out, there isn't sufficient, GOOD, public transportation. If you take a bus or mini bus you are stuck in traffic for hours in uncomfortable conditions and the BTS and MRT only cover about 5 percent of Bangkok and are becoming way overcrowded.

So you drive or take a taxi. Be happy there are as many taxis as there are.

Respectfully - while the roads and infrastructure are the problem, the aspects you describe are not really contributors to the problem. On the high-way, yes its a nuisance - but it doesn't hinder traffic flow. I agree with the toll boothes - the auto-booths should be incentivised, but its a nuisance to top up and its no cheaper. But undualting roads, man holes, etc. cannot account for the fact it takes an hour to get from Nana to Asoke - and double that to travel 1km through Pratunam.

But I agree 100% that taxi's are not the issue. So there's 100,000 of them..... how many other road users are there? What about morons who park on the side of the road on busy main roads reducing the lanes from 3 to 2 ..... or 2 to 1.

In the US cab drivers have the right to refuse any fare; if a refusal is bases on race then someone might have a civil suit.

There are places in American cities no cab driver would ever go.

Go to Las Vegas, you can only get a taxi at authorized taxi stands. You cannot flag a taxi on the street, a taxi cannot take more than 4 passengers and the taxi doesn't have to take the fair. But no, there isn't a law telling the taxi drivers to wear a uniform, name tag or shoes. Yes the taxis have to be road worthy, that is something the government should be concerned with but in my experience most taxis in Thailand are in pretty good shape. Again, you don't have to get in if you don't like the way the taxi looks.

Regarding the seat belt issue. Thais don't believe in using them. I tell my wife to tell her friends to put on their seat belts and they all look at me funny. So why would you think the government would do anything about missing seat belts. Most taxis in Thailand are used by Thais not by tourists.

I guess any businessman can refuse a customer. It is up to him to decide whether to take a plunge into a traffic jam, or to miss his deadline for returning the car.

what about the Police making it easy to report Taxi drivers who refuse to take you onboard by running the meter, ONLY by a set fee? There should be a number to call to report the taxi AND the police taking action against him/her. But like everything else you can whistle in your somtam for that to happen.

I just refuse the enter the cab if he refuses to use the meter. And yes, there is a number, ask 1113 to find out.

Whatever the number of taxis, why would anybody argue that there are too many? There more there are, the higher the chance you get one. Yes, I have had taxi drivers refuse a fare, only for the next one to come along and take me happily. When it rains, I often think there are certainly not enough taxis in town!

And taxis are certainly not only for hi-so people. Taxis are so cheap that I leave my car at home when I go out in the evening. For THB 60-100, there is certainly no need to drink and drive, as the taxi is cheaper than the parking fee anyway.