British Royal Navy submariner charged with 'leaking secrets'

News_Editor

British Royal Navy submariner charged with 'leaking secrets'

2012-03-08 23:16:13 GMT+7 (ICT)

LONDON (BNO NEWS) -- A British Royal Navy submariner was arrested in southwestern England earlier this week and is being accused of leaking classified information, police said on Thursday. He has been charged with breaching the Official Secrets Act 1911.

A Scotland Yard spokesperson said Edward Devenney, 29, was arrested at about 8 a.m. local time on Tuesday at a base in Plymouth, a city on the south coast of Devon county. He was taken to a local police station and, after a number of searchers were carried out, charged on late Wednesday.

According to police, on January 28, Devenney communicated information to another person "which is calculated to be or might be or is intended to be directly or indirectly useful to the enemy." Other details were not immediately released, and Devenney was scheduled to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court later on Thursday.

A profile on the social networking website Twitter claimed to be Devenney and was later deleted after the arrest and charges were announced. In a tweet on January 27, Devenney apparently wrote: "Bomb Iran? Am not bothered, but I'll probably be in the Submarine that fires the missiles! #RoyalNavy #Submarines"

Officials did not say whether the charges are related to the tweet.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-03-08

I think just about anyone interested in weapon systems knows the Brits have Harpoon/SLAM missiles in their subs.

But I think the tweet isn't the whole story, unless his sub has orders to go to the Middle East at a specified time.