Education Visa - How Long Can You Keep Learning?

I searched on Google and on here, couldn't find the answer. Is there a limit to how many years you can continue staying with an educational visa? I'm talking about going to a legit school, and satisfying all the requirements of the educational visa. I know about the 90 day extensions, but after a certain amount of time do they cut you off? Is it consecutive or cumulative? As an example, could you come to Thailand for 6 months of school every year for 20 years? Could you get an ED visa and stay in Thailand continuously for 6 years while attending university?

Thank you

There is no limit. The limit is set by the school/course. But you can always go studying somewhere/something else.

6 years university is certainly possible. You would get 1 year extensions of stay for that, not 90 days. The last is more for courses.

For staying 6 months a year in Thailand it will for most people be easier and cheaper to just get a double entry tourist visa.

• Like 1

In addition to Mario's answer.

Each school obtains a certificate for a certain number of study years per student.

So if you study carving or dancing it might be no more than one year. A big university may offer six years or even more.

As per studying Thai language in a private school, I'm aware of three and five years certificates.

Formally, your study years are cumulative. In example above, if you study Thai in a school A for three years and decide to change to school B, your visa application may get rejected unless the school B is certificated for 5-years study.

I've heard of farangs diluted their 3-years "chunks" of study with a small tourist entry, but I cannot say if it's legal.

In addition to Mario's answer.

Each school obtains a certificate for a certain number of study years per student.

So if you study carving or dancing it might be no more than one year. A big university may offer six years or even more.

As per studying Thai language in a private school, I'm aware of three and five years certificates.

Formally, your study years are cumulative. In example above, if you study Thai in a school A for three years and decide to change to school B, your visa application may get rejected unless the school B is certificated for 5-years study.

I've heard of farangs diluted their 3-years "chunks" of study with a small tourist entry, but I cannot say if it's legal.

I'm confused by what you mean by this.

I believe the ED visa is tied back to the school you originally applied for. Is that right? So if you quit one school and applied to a different one, than you would have to apply for a ED visa through the new school?

Yes, it's tied to the school, and you have to be a full-time student (this is defined by a certain number of hours per week). When you stop attending, the school has to report you, and your extension of stay is revoked. Hence, if you change schools, you have to apply for a new extension of stay.

Hi Folks- I find these posts very informative and a big thanks to all of you who are willing to partake of your vast knowledge and experiences to us less informed and confused souls. With that said, I have a question pertaining to visa and the requirements. Next winter I am planning on staying in chiang mai for 3 months. With 3 months I understand that I need a tourist visa before I arrive in thailand and, once there, I will have to go to the immigration office in chiang mai at some point and pay approx 1900 baht to get my visa extended another 30 days, which will give me the needed 90 days for my stay. Where I am having trouble understanding is for a lengthier stay which is in my not-to-distant future. I am most likely looking at staying 6 months in thailand and my understanding is that for most people it is easier and cheaper to just get a double entry tourist visa. Where I need some assistance from all you knowledgeable and generous folks is a detailed explanation as to what exactly I need to do with this double-entry tourist visa. I am sure I have to do one or more visa runs but if you can give me a timeline as to what I need to do in order to utilize my double-entry tourist visa and successfully and correctly navigate the technical requirements for staying the 6 months in chiang mai would be most appreciated. Thank you for your help.

A tourist visa is good for 60 days, which can be extended by 30 day for 1,900 baht and then you have to leave the country. With a double entry tourist visa you would be able to return to Thailand (the same day if you want) again for another 60 days and extension of 30 days.

Don't apply to far in advance, as you must use both entreis within a certain time frame.

2 weeks before you travel should be more than enough time. Most consulates give a validity of 6 months, so that will be fine. (It means your 2nd entry must be made within 6 months, but if the visa expires and you already entered you can still stay the full 60 days and also get a 30 day extension).

Only a vey few consulates give only 3 months validity. Always good to check with the consulate where you will apply and also inquire about their mail in service for a visa.

From your original post this visit is only going to be 90 days so no two entry required so a visa will be valid 90 days from day of issue so a few weeks before travel will not be a problem. For the later two entry six month stay you mayl want to get close to travel date as some Consulates only provide 90 days (others provide six months) from date of issue for all entries to be made.