White Noise Machines

uptheos

My daughter is going to be visiting for a few months. She's a very light sleeper and all the other times she visited, various sounds disturbed her sleep. She accepts This is Thailand, but would like to get a good nights sleep when she can. She's not a moaner and has tried all the usual things to block out as much noise as possible whilst here. I've read that 'White Noise Machines' can be effective, but I have absolutely no idea how effective they are, apart from what I've googled. If they are any good I'll buy one for her.

I wonder if anyone has one or tried one?

Did it work for you?

What model is it?

Did you buy it in Chiang Mai?

If it works I can probably tell her to pick one up in UK and bring it if not available here.

Cost isn't an issue, if it's beneficial.

Cheers

Edited by uptheos

Why a machine? Just download an mp3 or some software and play it through your speakers?

EDIT: Here you go: http://simplynoise.com/

EDIT 2: I've been playing it for a couple minutes now and about to fall asleeppp.. ... ..

Thanks very much WTK, but I think they are 60 minutes....do they rewind or something?

The machine I've read about is digital and constant throughout the night without a break.

You asleep at 2015.....yeah biggrin.png

Edited by uptheos

I have the same problem and sometimes have to sleep in very noisy environments. I also become enraged when I hear people snoring. These ear plugs are absolutely brilliant and I have been using them for years, they cut out al kinds of ambient noise but you can still hear your alarm clock and smoke alarm. Highly recommended. http://earplugsonline.com/

I have the same problem and sometimes have to sleep in very noisy environments. I also become enraged when I hear people snoring. These ear plugs are absolutely brilliant and I have been using them for years, they cut out al kinds of ambient noise but you can still hear your alarm clock and smoke alarm. Highly recommended. http://earplugsonline.com/

Thanx TR, will look into it. cowboy.gif

• Like 1

Earplugs, Eyemask, Xanax (low dose). Now there's a happy sleeper.

Earplugs maybe, Eye mask won't help sound and 0.5 mg Xanax has a short half life.

I doubt very much if my daughter would want xanax anyway, but thanks for the tips.

Know anything about White Noise Machine's ?

'Muffles" wax earplugs from Boots. Not sure if they sell them here in CM. Definitely in UK. I've used them for 26 yrs. Can't sleep without them, even if it's silent.

Those aren't the ones I use but I do use earplugs. Slept onboard ships for decades with that low frequency engine going 24 hrs per day and never needed it. Here in Thailand it's necessary for me I'm afraid. I just use the foam ones.

'Muffles" wax earplugs from Boots. Not sure if they sell them here in CM. Definitely in UK. I've used them for 26 yrs. Can't sleep without them, even if it's silent.

Those aren't the ones I use but I do use earplugs. Slept onboard ships for decades with that low frequency engine going 24 hrs per day and never needed it. Here in Thailand it's necessary for me I'm afraid. I just use the foam ones.

Try the "muffles". They mould to your ear. Split one in half, good for a week or more. They might have them here. I've tried the foam ones, useless for me....

Why a machine? Just download an mp3 or some software and play it through your speakers?

EDIT: Here you go: http://simplynoise.com/

EDIT 2: I've been playing it for a couple minutes now and about to fall asleeppp.. ... ..

Thanks very much WTK, but I think they are 60 minutes....do they rewind or something?

That website simplynoise.com goes on forever. And you can make it go up and down in volume automatically. For mp3's just set it to 'repeat' the 'song'.

You asleep at 2015.....yeah biggrin.png

Don't get me started.. Everyone at my house is on the mend. I'm still relatively okay due to some Sang Som Therapy, which works great, but not for kids. :/ BTW Sang Som helps you sleep too. ;)

Thank you everyone for some good suggestions. I've got fans, air cons, foam and wax earplugs. I know she's got iPad, MP whatever, so there's some things she can do here. However she'll need to plan for moving around SEA. I'm still intrigued by this portable White Noise Machine and whether it's actually worth buying. It doesn't seem if anyone has experience of them, so maybe I'll just ask her to pick one up they're only about $50 according to consumer websites that rate them.

Cheers smile.png

Seriously, if she has an iPad, she can just download the App called "Whitenoise". It generates all sorts of sounds (rain, crickets, fan, air con, white noise and dozens more) and is programable to run all night or any amount of time you want. It's inexpensive. Why spend money on a stand alone box that probably does less...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/white-noise/id289894882?mt=8

Edited by kilt

Seriously, if she has an iPad, she can just download the App called "Whitenoise". It generates all sorts of sounds (rain, crickets, fan, air con, white noise and dozens more) and is programable to run all night or any amount of time you want. It's inexpensive. Why spend money on a stand alone box that probably does less...

Hmm, you do have a good point.

sounds to me like no one on TV has tried one.

If you have her bring one let us know how it works out.

Or you could stay in a guest house while she is here.offtopic.gif

I've given her the link to this post, so I guess she has lots of ideas now. If she brings one I'll certainly let you know how it works out. I like your idea of me staying in a guest house, but I might like it too much. wink.png