Thai Govt's Agricultural Price-Pledging Policy Has Failed

webfact

The production cost of Thai rice farming is Bt6,000-Bt7,000 per rai, while the cost of Vietnamese production is Bt4,900-Bt5,000 per rai. Vietnam has an average yield of 862 kilograms per rai, against a Thai yield of 448kg.

So, how many billions of baht is the government going to spend to improve Thai farming practices to become more competitive?

I guess that there's no corruption money to be made off of that sort of thing, so the current government isn't interested. dry.png

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The production cost of Thai rice farming is Bt6,000-Bt7,000 per rai, while the cost of Vietnamese production is Bt4,900-Bt5,000 per rai. Vietnam has an average yield of 862 kilograms per rai, against a Thai yield of 448kg.

So, how many billions of baht is the government going to spend to improve Thai farming practices to become more competitive?

I guess that there's no corruption money to be made off of that sort of thing, so the current government isn't interested. dry.png

To be fair it will require some cooperation from the farmers. It has been shown where on smaller rice farms it is cheaper to use the buffalo and there is ways of composting instead of burning for farmers to make get a higher production on their land.

The government should spend the money in educating the farmers rather than supporting them.

• Like 1

To be fair it will require some cooperation from the farmers. It has been shown where on smaller rice farms it is cheaper to use the buffalo and there is ways of composting instead of burning for farmers to make get a higher production on their land.

The government should spend the money in educating the farmers rather than supporting them.

Having tried to do it, there is rarely a person to be found anywhere in the world as stubborn as a Thai farmer. Of course even harder would be for the Thai agriculture ministry to admit that possibly their neighbouring countries do something better than they do.

Edited by Thai at Heart

look at this link, jump to Thailand

http://en.wikipedia....es_and_colleges

Just one agricultural college in Thailand, now look at other countries, say Indonesia.

Hmmm, the Asian Institute of Technology in Bangkok.

Wikipedia seems to have missed our local Mae-Jo University, for one, perhaps there are also other agricultural colleges here too ? cool.png

Just one agricultural college in Thailand, now look at other countries, say Indonesia.

Wikipedia seems to have missed our local Mae-Jo University, for one, perhaps there are also other agricultural colleges here too ? cool.png

Just a guess but perhaps they differentiate between an agricultural college and a technology college with an agricultural department.

This scheme had only two goals in the beginning and still remains. 1. Vote buying. 2. The piggies at the trough becoming richer through corruption.

Also to bring back the "real" PM. and give him back the confiscated billions he robbed from the Thai pople.

The taxpayer in general didn't vote this govt in, and the govt can win the next election without their support, so they don't really care. I guess they think of themselves as modern day robin hoods.

Really? The poor pay consumption tax on basic essentials. You have heard of the VAT right? It's 7%.

I anticipate that someone will say, yea but they don't collect it at the markets, but the beauty of VAT is that somewhere along the line it was paid, whether it be the poultry supplier when he buys supplies for the chicken sold at market or the clothing retailer when he/she purchases from a wholesaler that purchased from the factory. The tax gets passed on to the consumer.

The taxpayer in general didn't vote this govt in, and the govt can win the next election without their support, so they don't really care. I guess they think of themselves as modern day robin hoods.

Really? The poor pay consumption tax on basic essentials. You have heard of the VAT right? It's 7%.

I anticipate that someone will say, yea but they don't collect it at the markets, but the beauty of VAT is that somewhere along the line it was paid, whether it be the poultry supplier when he buys supplies for the chicken sold at market or the clothing retailer when he/she purchases from a wholesaler that purchased from the factory. The tax gets passed on to the consumer.

The taxpayer? Who is he? I think he hangs out in Sukhumvit and Rayong from time to time, wondering what value he gets for contributing his 10%. Now, Mr. High Rate Taxpayer, I think he is a farang.

Oh him. No if ever there was an unrepresented minority in this country, its him.

I really feel for the farmers. It is tough work and not much income. The statement: " the government should support the development of farming, marketing and trading to allow the market mechanism to do its work." is spot on. The government should have looked into why Viet Nam can produce twice as much rice per rai and do the necessary research to pass on to the farmers to increase production. A lot of Universities here in the US do exactly that and it is one of the greatest reasons the US has such high food production.

The money spent was a mistake. Put it into research and pass it on to the farmers at no cost.

The price of Thai Jasmine Rice has increased by 300% in some places here in the US. That really hurt our little restaurant. Now we have to charge for Thai Jasmine Rice.

Do you know where the majority of Vietnam's rice is grown? Here's a hint: it's called Vietnam's rice bowl. Need another hint? Lots of water and minimal drought conditions. Give up? It's called the Mekong Delta. Do you know what the difference is between the Mekong Delta and Thailand's rice growing regions? Thailand had to invest billions in irrigation with locks and canals and waterways. Vietnam did not. Thailand's rice production is more susceptible to weather conditions than Vietnam's. Despite those conditions, Thailand has managed to increase its yields decade after decade.

Do you know another difference between Vietnam and Thailand? Vietnam uses pesticides and herbicides that Thailand tries to avoid. This is because three of Thailand's main export markets (Hong Kong, USA and Singapore) have tougher regulations on the presence of toxic substances and carcinogens. Although the largest markets of Nigeria and iran may not care, unsafe findings in the 3 important markets would decimate Thailand's rice exports. Thailand has to play it safe.

Vietnam rice markets are more directed at the "low end" market whereas Thai rice is skewed to higher quality.Vietnam's key markets in Bangladesh, the Middle East and Africa don't have the same standards as Singapore or the USA.

Are you aware that jasmine rice has a lower yield than other varieties and that Thailand is a large jasmine rice producer? Would you rather Thailand lower its quality so that it has higher yields and more chemical residues in its product just so that it can claim a higher yield per rai to satisfy you? if Thailand did that, the price of jasmine rice would skyrocket and you could charge an additional 15-20cents vs the 5-10 cents it costs you now to buy the rice to serve with your chop suey.

Did you know that Vietnam is now dealing with surging production costs to the extent that the benefits gained by increased production are now wiped out by those costs? Are you aware that the Vietnamese devalued the dong and this gave Vietnam a price advantage? it is one of the reasons why the Thai rice exporters would like to see the baht devalued.

The agricultural pledging scheme is not intended to provide a magical solution. Rather, it is intended to mitigate the negative impact of recent weather conditions, the Indian dumping of rice on the market at allegedly below cost prices, and the ongoing problem of chinese dumping of agricultural products into the market. Thailand is face with some nasty unfair agricultural trade practices from India and China and the pledging scheme is one of the few tools available to thailand to try and protect itself. Ideally, the government should just hand out direct subsidies to farmers, but this would violate WTO obligations. I suggest those that are critical of Thailand's policy, consider the market conditions and world trade structures must work with.

One thing the Thais do right is rice growing and sales of rice.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

I really feel for the farmers. It is tough work and not much income. The statement: " the government should support the development of farming, marketing and trading to allow the market mechanism to do its work." is spot on. The government should have looked into why Viet Nam can produce twice as much rice per rai and do the necessary research to pass on to the farmers to increase production. A lot of Universities here in the US do exactly that and it is one of the greatest reasons the US has such high food production.

The money spent was a mistake. Put it into research and pass it on to the farmers at no cost.

The price of Thai Jasmine Rice has increased by 300% in some places here in the US. That really hurt our little restaurant. Now we have to charge for Thai Jasmine Rice.

Do you know where the majority of Vietnam's rice is grown? Here's a hint: it's called Vietnam's rice bowl. Need another hint? Lots of water and minimal drought conditions. Give up? It's called the Mekong Delta. Do you know what the difference is between the Mekong Delta and Thailand's rice growing regions? Thailand had to invest billions in irrigation with locks and canals and waterways. Vietnam did not. Thailand's rice production is more susceptible to weather conditions than Vietnam's. Despite those conditions, Thailand has managed to increase its yields decade after decade.

Do you know another difference between Vietnam and Thailand? Vietnam uses pesticides and herbicides that Thailand tries to avoid. This is because three of Thailand's main export markets (Hong Kong, USA and Singapore) have tougher regulations on the presence of toxic substances and carcinogens. Although the largest markets of Nigeria and iran may not care, unsafe findings in the 3 important markets would decimate Thailand's rice exports. Thailand has to play it safe.

Vietnam rice markets are more directed at the "low end" market whereas Thai rice is skewed to higher quality.Vietnam's key markets in Bangladesh, the Middle East and Africa don't have the same standards as Singapore or the USA.

Are you aware that jasmine rice has a lower yield than other varieties and that Thailand is a large jasmine rice producer? Would you rather Thailand lower its quality so that it has higher yields and more chemical residues in its product just so that it can claim a higher yield per rai to satisfy you? if Thailand did that, the price of jasmine rice would skyrocket and you could charge an additional 15-20cents vs the 5-10 cents it costs you now to buy the rice to serve with your chop suey.

Did you know that Vietnam is now dealing with surging production costs to the extent that the benefits gained by increased production are now wiped out by those costs? Are you aware that the Vietnamese devalued the dong and this gave Vietnam a price advantage? it is one of the reasons why the Thai rice exporters would like to see the baht devalued.

The agricultural pledging scheme is not intended to provide a magical solution. Rather, it is intended to mitigate the negative impact of recent weather conditions, the Indian dumping of rice on the market at allegedly below cost prices, and the ongoing problem of chinese dumping of agricultural products into the market. Thailand is face with some nasty unfair agricultural trade practices from India and China and the pledging scheme is one of the few tools available to thailand to try and protect itself. Ideally, the government should just hand out direct subsidies to farmers, but this would violate WTO obligations. I suggest those that are critical of Thailand's policy, consider the market conditions and world trade structures must work with.

One thing the Thais do right is rice growing and sales of rice.

Whilst most of what you say is the case, in terms of avoiding certain pesticides because of rules and regs isn't the case, it is more a case of using the products in the right way at the right time. Most pesticides has been around for a long time in Thailand, and residues are present in all Thai produce it is just a matter of when you apply as to what remains at export to make sure they are not present at export.

As far as I know the average Thai farmer hasn't made any great efforts to change away from one pesticide to another purely because of cost. As for herbicides, it seems the humble match is quite popular these days.

And of course, if you can't beat them, you can always join them

STC ploughs its way into Cambodia Joint venture to help reduce local risk

Published: 6/02/2012 at 12:00 AM

STC Group, Thailand's biggest rice exporter, has become the latest company to explore rice investment opportunities in Cambodia.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1474853&page=4

Edited by Thai at Heart

This government are reverse Robin Hoods, stealing from the people to give to the rich

And this policy has not failed, because it designed from the beginning to be corrupt and benefit the middlemen, a budgetary handout to the powerful. Working as designed. Benefit to individual farmers or the nation as a whole is not the goal

• 3 weeks later...

Thailand's Ill-Advised Rice Subsidy Program

Increasing the subsidy the government pays to farmers is pricing exporters out of global markets

Thailand may be about to about to lose its pre-eminent position as the world’s biggest rice exporter because of an ill-advised policy on the part of the incoming Pheu Thai government in 2011, when it promised to raise the price the government pays farmers by almost 50 percent.

The result was that the rice pledging scheme, as it is known, caused farmers to increase their plantings exponentially – “from fence to fence,” as one economist said. Rice occupies 55 percent of Thailand's arable land.

Continues:

http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4435&Itemid=437

Asia Sentinel - April 19, 2012

Just a guess but perhaps they differentiate between an agricultural college and a technology college with an agricultural department.

Could be, but Wikipedia also describes it (in a seperate entry) as "the oldest agricultural institution in the country", founded in 1934 as 'The Northern Agricultural Teachers Training School', and it certainly focuses mainly on agriculture & fish-farming.

Edited by Ricardo

Could be, but Wikipedia also describes it (in a seperate entry) as "the oldest agricultural institution in the country", founded in 1934 as 'The Northern Agricultural Teachers Training School', and it certainly focuses mainly on agriculture & fish-farming.

Well I have no wish to make an argument out of this, shall I simply say that for a country with a large agricultural base it is poorly served academically.

• Like 1

Remark from the countryside.

We have an agricultural cooperative outside T. influence. Manager studied in Denmark for his job.

The farmers, member of the coop have 8000 to 9000 Baht per ton of rice guaranteed.

Not very much, but they have support for bio-farming fertilizers, for agriculture engines sharing, for seed-bearing instructions, a saving bank with no loan-sharks interest, a school for biofarming......

The ricemill of the coop exports to retailers of other departements and provinces where T's ricemill-lords corrupt the price.

My daughter just made her MA at Mae-Jo University with distinction ( bio-farming).

I'm just trying to entice her for a job in this coop.

Edited by lungmi
  • Like 1

Well I have no wish to make an argument out of this, shall I simply say that for a country with a large agricultural base it is poorly served academically.

Didn't mean to come over like that, I just live nearby, and thought it strange that MJU hadn't made the list, nothing more. wai.gif

Didn't mean to come over like that, I just live nearby, and thought it strange that MJU hadn't made the list, nothing more. wai.gif

No problem, perhaps the list is based on papers published, just a guess.

• Like 1

Increasing the subsidy the government pays to farmers is pricing exporters out of global markets

Thailand may be about to about to lose its pre-eminent position as the world’s biggest rice exporter because of an ill-advised policy on the part of the incoming Pheu Thai government in 2011, when it promised to raise the price the government pays farmers by almost 50 percent.

The result was that the rice pledging scheme, as it is known, caused farmers to increase their plantings exponentially – “from fence to fence,” as one economist said. Rice occupies 55 percent of Thailand's arable land.

Continues:

http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4435&Itemid=437

Warning bells are being sounded today by experts quoted in the other paper regarding the ruinous rice policy.

The warnings are two-fold in that the higher prices are adversely effecting exports as well as huge costs to the taxpayers for these government-subsidized purchases.

The kicker is that fugitive ex-PM Thaksin is insisting the policy continue.

Continues:

http://www.asiasenti...4435&Itemid=437

Warning bells are being sounded today by experts quoted in the other paper regarding the ruinous rice policy.

The warnings are two-fold in that the higher prices are adversely effecting exports as well as huge costs to the taxpayers for these government-subsidized purchases.

Somebody will eventually notice your post and comment, I'm sure..............

Edited by phiphidon

Are you aware of the geographic differences between Thailand and Vietnam? You do understand what the Mekong Delta is, right?

Thailand has steadly improved its yield over time. Would you like Thailand to just stop farming rice because the Vietnamese can grow it for less? Thai rice fetches a decent price because of its quality and because the world needs Thai rice. It's called supply and demand. As long as hundreds of millions of people need to eat, there will always be a market for Thai rice.

Are you aware that Thailand puts alot more emphasis on the higher quality rice grain than does Vietnam? The higher quality types such as Thailand's famous jasmine rice sell for much more than the low end vietnamese rice.

Be fair. Read up on the rice industry. Understand the factors that govern crop yields.

Continues:

http://www.asiasenti...4435&Itemid=437

Somebody will eventually notice your post and comment, I'm sure..............

You just did.

Are you aware of the geographic differences between Thailand and Vietnam? You do understand what the Mekong Delta is, right?

Thailand has steadly improved its yield over time. Would you like Thailand to just stop farming rice because the Vietnamese can grow it for less? Thai rice fetches a decent price because of its quality and because the world needs Thai rice. It's called supply and demand. As long as hundreds of millions of people need to eat, there will always be a market for Thai rice.

Are you aware that Thailand puts alot more emphasis on the higher quality rice grain than does Vietnam? The higher quality types such as Thailand's famous jasmine rice sell for much more than the low end vietnamese rice.

Be fair. Read up on the rice industry. Understand the factors that govern crop yields.

I guess Thai rice is just as 'Thai' as Japanese rice is 'Japanese'. In both cases the uniqueness can hardly be appreciated by those who are not part of either human population. In other words, if you don't like it go back your home biggrin.png

in the USA i buy it at Sam's Club. Thai wife says it tastes great and confirm 100% it is Thai Jasmine as labeled. 25lb for $17.29

We have 12 bags sitting in the pantry.

It will be interesting to hear in comparison what price you pay there when your supply of 300 pounds of Thai Jasmine is depleted.

Edited by Buchholz

Thailand not worried by rice mountain, but should be

There is a mountain of rice piling up in Thailand as a result of the government’s subsidy scheme, threatening not only to blow the nation’s budget but also raising the risk of instability in the global market. Thailand’s unmilled rice stocks jumped to a record high of 11.7 million tonnes, according to government and industry officials.

This is more than double what they were some seven months ago, when the government first started paying farmers 66 per cent more for their crop than what they would get on the open market. The huge build-up of stocks is no surprise as Thailand’s rice exports can no longer compete with those from Vietnam and India, and the situation is likely to get worse in coming months.

The government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is officially putting on a brave face, predicting increased revenue from rice exports this year and saying it will be able to sell its massive stockpile of the grain. But this is looking increasingly like blind optimism and unless the government changes its policies, Thailand will lose its status as the world’s top exporter of rice and the government’s budget will be put under severe strain.

Continues:

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/sideviews/article/thailand-not-worried-by-rice-mountain-but-should-be-clyde-russell/

Malaysian Insider - May 1, 2012

• 2 months later...

Thai ministry accused of secret rice sale

Thailand's Commerce Ministry has secretly sold 3 million tonnes of the government's rice, with Siam Indiga, which is close to the government, taking a big lot, according to rice-trading sources.

The traders claim that the current government has created huge losses for the country as the stocks are sold at far below cost and that the Foreign Trade Department has allowed only a few companies to buy rice from the government at a very special price.

However, Commerce Minister Boonsong Teriyaphirom yesterday denied that rice was released from government stocks, saying the ministry had only disposed of rice under government-to-government contracts and sold some broken milled rice.

The ministry has never allowed any officials to contact rice exporters to sell rice from state inventories, he said. If any did, they would be an unlawful gang.

The ministry is now checking rice stocks so that it will know exactly how much to offer under G2G deals to be made soon, Boonsong said.

A source said the government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra had released almost 3 million tonnes in the first half of this year, of which 1.9 million tonnes were old supplies carried over from the previous government. The rest was from the recent harvest season under the Yingluck government's rice-pledging scheme.

However, the government and buyers have not indicated the prices, as they are below the current market price of US$610 per tonne. The government's price is predicted at $100 per tonne below market. It is also much lower than the pledging cost, which has been quoted at more than $700 a tonne.

The source said Siam Indiga had been allocated the biggest slice of up to 2 million tonnes. The company then arranged contracts with rice millers and exporters to buy its rice and profited from the difference between its low cost and the market price.

New-crop rice has also been released to giant exporters, whose major markets are Iran and Iraq. The price was also undisclosed, but was expected to be very low. The Foreign Trade Department had to purchase the rice on behalf of the rice company from the Public Warehouse Organisation. This way, the company's name will not appear on the invoice and it will be hard to investigate.

Siam Indiga is also responsible for distributing government rice to other exporters under the G2G project.

The source said ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra had told Indonesian and Malaysian importers that if they would like to purchase rice from the Thai government's stocks, they should contact Siam Indiga.

Siam Indiga is known as the new marketing arm of bankrupt President Agri Trading, the country's biggest rice exporter during the Thaksin administration, when Wattana Muangsook was commerce minister.

The top executive of President Agri Trading, Apichart Jansakulporn, has close relations with the ousted prime minister.

Sompong Kitireanglarp, president of Ponglarb, one of the leading exporters, said he was contacted by an official from the Commerce Ministry who offered to sell government rice.

However, Sompong said he refused as did not want to get involved in shady deals.

The official told Sompong said that if his company was interested in buying rice from the government's stocks, the firm could specify which rice stocks the firm preferred and then the firm could negotiate the price later.

Ponglarb directly contacted the ministry to buy 20,000 tonnes, but was turned down.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-25

• 3 weeks later...