Sausage Making Supplies - Where?

GG-

Sorry for the second post on this topic.....just don't know why the text didn't come through on the first one. Anyone know where I might find large diameter sausage casings and sodium nitrate (preservative) here in Pattaya. Would like to make a few nice batches of sausage for the festive season.

Cheers

Sorry for the second post on this topic.....just don't know why the text didn't come through on the first one.  Anyone know where I might find large diameter sausage casings and sodium nitrate (preservative) here in Pattaya.  Would like to make a few nice batches of sausage for the festive season.

Cheers

you could have a very nice business making good sausages in Thailand, they are hard to get.

Sorry for the second post on this topic.....just don't know why the text didn't come through on the first one.  Anyone know where I might find large diameter sausage casings and sodium nitrate (preservative) here in Pattaya.  Would like to make a few nice batches of sausage for the festive season.

Cheers

Are you planning to make sausages for personal consumption or commercial distribution?

Good English-style sausages are not difficult to find in Pattaya.

I think you mean Sodium Nitrite ... see below.

Most sausage formulas include sodium nitrite (NaNO2) as a curing agent. The addition of nitrite to a meat product inhibits the growth of the pathogen Clostridium botulinum. Also, nitrite is responsible for the pink color associated with sausage and other cured meats, such as bologna and ham. Third, a nitrite cure adds a particular flavor to the sausage.

In rare instances, sodium nitrate (NaNO3) is added during manufacture rather than sodium nitrite. One then relies on bacteria in the meat to reduce the nitrate to nitrite. It is more difficult to control the concentration of nitrite in a sausage by the use of this method. On occasion, excessive nitrate reduction will take place, resulting in overly high concentrations of nitrite in the product. The excessive amount of nitrite, in the presence of the lactic acid, will cause severe oxidation of the meat pigment (myoglobin), producing a green pigment (oxymyoglobin). This form of greening of cured meats is referred to as nitrite burn.

Naka :o

Cheers

Are you planning to make sausages for personal consumption or commercial distribution?

Good English-style sausages are not difficult to find in Pattaya.

For personal consumption at the moment, however it could turn out to be more later. I am from Canada; one side of my family originates from the UK the other side is of mixed European decent. The sausages I make would hardly be considered English style - smoked with plenty of seasoning - the type that go well with cheese and crackers or deli type sandwiches with good mustard.......still searching for the casings and sodium nitrite - Thanks to naka for the correction on my spelling error on "nitrite", you are quite right.

• 3 years later...

we used to make our own sausages in my restaurants in the states.

pork butt

plum tomato

provolone cheese chunks

fennel

spices

were the main ingredients and cooked in a good Italian tomato sauce with onions and peppers and oregano. I would kill for that over here

we used to make our own sausages in my restaurants in the states.

pork butt

plum tomato

provolone cheese chunks

fennel

spices

were the main ingredients and cooked in a good Italian tomato sauce with onions and peppers and oregano. I would kill for that over here

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Fennel is much overlooked in the typical sausage recipe. I shall be using fennel to improve the flavour.