Pm Yingluck Orders All Budget Airlines To Fly From Don Mueang Airport

webfact

Makes you think that the Thai government may be favouring its national carrier especially if it is classing Bangkok Airways as a low-cost carrier. This would virtually ensure that the only airline from Thailand's regional airports to Transcontinental International flights would be Thai air.

Perhaps this is linked to the future as as a part of ASEAN

Who wants to fly Thai Air, an old fleet with antiquated in flight entertainment!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a sure way of making passengers fly Thai on domestic routes, for their international connections. Well done dictator-"thats the way to do it"   Just a thought, why not use all international flights at D.M.  and move domestic to Swampy ??  ha ha

I think one of the most efficient visa-security check throughs I have ever been through was at the international airport at Beijing China. The staff was no-nonsense, quick, and knew what they were doing. Unlike in the USA (where I am from) where they are shouting at you (wanna be's with power) and make u feel like 3rd class citizens (and once they see you have been to Thailand-OMG...more check ups on the single guy). In China it was fast and within 30 second a security officer had my water bottle out of my bag and zapped my coded destination tag and I was off. They were serious, but not shouting or making a big scene. The USA security guys even make the Americans upset..wonder what the poor Japanese or Chinese grandma thinks when she goes through such rudeness.

Are there any rail links planned between the two airports?

So what if there are rail links planned, you just snap your finger and there is the rail link?

In Thailand it takes years to build a rail link. Were you not around during the construction of the rail link to Swampy?

IMH(umble)O.....it would have made far better sense to have run the rail link between the 2 airports rather than Swampy to Bkk.

Bad, bad planning and foresight. I know of many cities who are crying out for moe runways. Imagine if they had another airport to play with!?

Ques for Thai passport holders is normally none. When feasible allow international passengers to exit via Thai passport immigration booths.

Its not like passengers aren't highly irritated when standing in line for an hour while Thai passport immigration officers are twiddling their pencils.

Bangkok Airways "low cost airline"??

First time an airline providing lounges, free wifi, meals on board, frequent flyer program, brand new fleet (and inform you of the total amount of your ticket from the first web page) is labeled "low cost".

But indeed, this may please the auntie TG that would love to be be left in peace. Competition is so easier to fight when you're left alone by gvt diktat.

• Like 1

Standard local business etiquette- bait and switch

Invest in an airline and then grant it an operating license with lucrative routes out of a major hub. Sell the shares, take a holiday in Dubai and then shift them into a second tier airport with no intercontinental connections.

As usual, it's great that collectively we have all the solutions but I can't help thinking "give it up, noone's listening!" IMO Try to accept the govt's incompetent self centered decisions and you'll be in a better place. Enjoy the weather, the food, and whatever else you're here for :)

As always is the Nation is a very unreliable newspaper. They go to great leant to manipulate the news for political purposes. The real header should have been: PM YIngluck gives incentives to those budget airlines WILLING to fly from and to Don Mueang Airport.

Incentives are either carrot or stick, or both.

Doesn't mean they should do it weither way, just means they are being manipulated.

"Somchai Sawasdipol, acting director of Suvarnabhumi Airport, said he had coordinated with immigration officials to solve the problem of long queues and would pay overtime to officials of Bt100,000 per day as incentive."

Is this correct? Bt100,000 per day as incentive

Swampy was poorly planned form the outset, it wasn't anything long term - it was on opportunity for the likes of DL and his cronies to get it done as quick as possible so they could get their snouts in the trough. Swampy is probably the worst modern airport that I've flown into, they haven't learnt anything from any of teh other airports such as Changi, Hong Kong or KL. I'm still trying to fathom out how BKK Airways is classed as a low-cost airline, but obviously someone from that company has upset DL and his clone is now barking out the orders. Muppets, the lot of them.

Are there any rail links planned between the two airports?

So what if there are rail links planned, you just snap your finger and there is the rail link?

In Thailand it takes years to build a rail link. Were you not around during the construction of the rail link to Swampy?

I'm well aware of how long it takes to construct infrastructure in this country. That does not mean it should not be done or planned for. Long term problems such as an overburdened airport in a regional aviation hub require long term solutions that do take time to implement. More helpful posters have already answered my question, thanks for your contribution.

Simply stupid idea. By sending budget/domestic airlines to DM the immigration traffic at Swampy will INCREASE, as passengers who would normally be in transit at Swampy will now need to clear immigration there before going to DM. Currently they clear immigration in Chiang Mai, Phuket etc. (and vice versa) Doh!! angry.png

But you cant check through baggage with any budgets (unless you call BKK air a budget and thats a hard sell)..

So you have to clear immigration and collect bags anyway if connecting on a budget airline no ??

There are so many things wrong with this that I don't know where to begin. First, this is the problem with not having participatory government. Had the PM's idea for this been discussed in public, it would have be DOA at the end of the first day. As one poster said, "What kind of democracy is this?" It is not a democracy, this is a feature of a planned economy, except without the planning. It has all the markings of the true Thai political and social structure: individuals and foreigners are the last priority. That is, the passengers and small airlines are being punished because the Thai government and authorities have set up and now operate a dysfunctional system at the airport. Why should the traveling public and small airlines take the brunt of the PM's order?

I've now heard three reasons for the current backlog at airport immigration: the renovations, the transfer of employees, and state exams for employees. All three are completely under the control the Thai and airport officials. Why must the public and the small operators be penalized?

In addition, the logistics of moving an entire airline operation are immense and certainly can not be accomplished quickly. Is this something that was in the works already, or is it a "plan" conceived of only recently? In either case, it simply isn't doable within any timeframe that will help the current situation. To move small operations means that passengers arriving at Swampy must collect their baggage and then commute 1-2 hours to Don Mueang to catch a domestic flight. No words can describe how utterly backward this thinking is. Thailand will actually degrade the overall level of its airport service if this occurs. Imagine all those visitors' responses when they hear they will have to commute across Bangkok. No words can describe the level of stupidity here.

A rail link between the two airports is a pipe dream and completely unrealistic. That kind and size of transportation system takes years of planning and more years of building. Thailand has much higher priorities for public works than a rail link between the airports.

This is a truly saddening glimpse at the thought processes of Thai officialdom. I want to cry.

• Like 1

If they could mann all the counters, I`m sure it would help.

I cannot understand how in the lords name they could close down two of the gates for renovation works at the same time. It has to be a drunk mans decision.

I agree. They should have only closed one at a time, since there are only 3.

I timed it. 2 min15 sec per passenger.

Slow computer.

TM card

Stamp Tm card/ Stamp passport

Date stamp TM card/Date Stamp passport

Web cam photo.

Compare with Heathrow. Swipe, check face, go --> less than 45 seconds.

Well it seems that the only people who are going to be happy are the taxi drivers!

Just what you want after a 12 hour flight from Europe and you are traveling on to a resort area. Immigration, collect bags, spend 40 mins in a taxi to go to Don Mueng, check in etc blah blah blah.

50-80% of all posts at the airport from aircraft technicians to air stewardesses to immigration staff are reserved for family members of current officers, often years in advance. Second-year university students have a place held open for them even though it is approx. 3 years till they graduate. It is hardly surprising the airport

a) is inefficient as it has many staff unfit for position and

B) is a money-making enterprise in which factions can hold the place to ransom

In almost all posts, posters are talking about incoming immigration, but the article is about the long immigration lines to leave Thailand. Only in Thailand have I seen such long lines. Some posters have commented about the US having long lines but they must be talking about entering the US because the US doesn't care much about who leaves. LAX is the only place where I have seen any sort of line due to immigration to enter departure gates and all the immigration officer did was make sure the passport matched the person. It took 5 seconds per person. The costs of moving airlines far outweighs the revenue of overstay fine collections.

Everybody seems to agree that the problems started during the past few months because two immigration gates have been closed for renovation... But the last time I left Thailand, in October 2010, I queued for more than an hour (no exaggeration) at Immigration... Luckily I had come early, but many people were worried about missing their flights... Had the renovation work already started back then??...

Explain to me how Thai Immigration has control over a 747 load of Chinese tourist arriving and none read or write Thai or English, good luck having your arrival card filled out and ready when you step in front of the officer. No matter how much the, all things Thai or wrong brigade complains there are just a few things that are beyond the control of immigration.

Yeah but was the renovation a sudden out of the blue occurrence or poor planning once again by those in charge?I think it was predictable and common sense that a reduction down to 1 immigration line from 3 previously was going to be a problem wasn't it?

Edited by WarpSpeed

Don Mueang should be closed all together and focus only on the Suvarnabhumi

I just don’t understand how one peson can order and dictate to business without any regard to anything, especially business conditions. What kind of democracy is she practicing

What kind of 'democracy' should she be practicing?

The CIA classifies the Government type as a 'constitutional monarchy' here:

https://www.cia.gov/...ok/geos/th.html

The only reference to 'democracy' on the CIA government page is under 'Political pressure groups and leaders':

Multicolor Group; People's Alliance for Democracy or PAD; United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship or UDD

Of couse, what does the CIA know or deign to tell us, anyway?