Buying A Guitar For A 13 Year Old Thai Girl In Cm

DavidMavec

Hello...

I am interested in buying a 13 year old Thai girl a guitar for up to 3000 baht in Chiang Mai. I am wondering if you could offer some suggestions of stores to go to. Maybe I will buy her a gift certificate and she can choose which one she wants. I understand guitars start at around 1400 baht so I am thinking a 3000 baht budget should be enough to get her something decent... but I don't really know much about musical instruments or guitars.

Thanks for any tips. Hoping to go around tomorrow (Saturday) and see if there are places to buy guitars.

depending how you define as decent, but at 3000 i doubt you could get any acoustic or classical with a solid top, just laminated tops i guess. any decent sounding guitar should at least have a solid top. but since its for beginner, just a guitar that have proper intonation and playability will works fine.

you could try the musical shop at kad suan kaew, the level before the cinema. they have acoustics for starting from like 1500 baht but just laminated tops, but playability is there, and keep in tune reasonably, frets nuts are all the usual cheap materials but surprisingly in decent setup. if the child is hardworking enough, within a year she will outgrow it, then i would say its time to purchase one acoustic with solid top.

My guitar shop of choice is Maximum Sound. The guy who runs it speaks decent English and is very helpful and not the type that will try to sell you any old junk at any price, he gives a fair assessment of the gear and it's up to you to choose according to your budget. I know most music stores in CM but Maximum Sound is the one I keep coming back to. It's on Chang Khlan Road, diagonally opposite the entrance to soi Chiang Mai land.

• Like 1

My guitar shop of choice is Maximum Sound. The guy who runs it speaks decent English and is very helpful and not the type that will try to sell you any old junk at any price, he gives a fair assessment of the gear and it's up to you to choose according to your budget. I know most music stores in CM but Maximum Sound is the one I keep coming back to. It's on Chang Khlan Road, diagonally opposite the entrance to soi Chiang Mai land.

Thanks, I did end up buying at Maximum Sound and was quite happy with the service and selection. They have a wide range of guitars and my budget was good for a beginner guitar which is what a 13 year old with only with minimal playing experience needs.

• Like 1