LPG Tanker Explosion On Bangkok's Pattanakarn Road

webfact

ACCIDENT

Three wounded in tanker explosion on Pattanakarn

The Nation

30178591-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Traffic around Pattanakarn 20 Road where a LPG tanker crashed into a bridge railing and exploded is still closed and people are suggested to evacuate from the site.

As of 10am, firefighters still could not put out the blaze which erupted after a tanker of Siam Gas Co Ltd crashed and exploded into flames at about 5.30am.

Nation Channel reported at least three people were injured from fire burnt in the accident and were being treated in hospital. The man who is severely burnt is in intensive care unit of Phetcharavej Hospital.

Firefighters may have to let the fire burnt down the vehicle as their earlier bid to put it out failed.

Police said the tanker crashed, causing it to overturn and causing gas leakage.

The leaked gas later exploded into flames, prompting nearby residents to flee from their houses.

The sounds of explosions were heard for a while and the blast shattered glass windows of seven houses nearby.

Police had to cordon off the section of the road for both inbound and outbound traffic for fire fighters to put out the blaze. Motorists were directed to use the local road along the railway in parallel of the Pattanakarn Road.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-23

I hope there were no more injuries. The last time this happened about 50 people were burned to death in their cars during peak hour traffic after a gas tanker rushed through a right turn. I don't know if any justice was meted out in this case. All the burnt out cars were parked on a street nearby for quite some time afterwards.

I hope there were no more injuries. The last time this happened about 50 people were burned to death in their cars during peak hour traffic after a gas tanker rushed through a right turn. I don't know if any justice was meted out in this case. All the burnt out cars were parked on a street nearby for quite some time afterwards.

Yikes... when and where did that happen? I don't have any recollection of that kind of incident.

Yikes... when and where did that happen? I don't have any recollection of that kind of incident.

1989? I remember driving past the cars, they were there for ages.

a reminder....

20th Anniversary of Devastating Bangkok Gas Explosion

phot2115.jpg

In 1990, a devastating accident involving a gas transport truck devastated 21 city blocks along the New Petchaburi Road in Bangkok, killing 59 civilians and injuring many more. Here we recount the news from that shocking event.

The accident occurred on the 24th of September 1990, a typical Monday night in Bangkok, however, the following 24hrs, weeks and months were anything but for those involved. Now a little over 20 years since that tragic night, when a gas transport truck crashed causing widespread destruction and death, the people involved still remember the incident as if it was yesterday.

Witness accounts from the accident state that the driver of the Siam Gas Company (registration number 71-0415) truck, Mr. Sutat Fackaelek, had been speeding to avoid stopping at a set of traffic lights at the time of the accident. Turning at the busy intersection, with two 20,000-liter gas storage tanks on the rear of the truck, the vehicle reportedly tipped over before sliding a significant distance across the New Petchaburi Road.

The situation that followed saw the two, later found to be unsecured, gas cylinders come loose from the trucks tray, rolling across the road at speed due to momentum. One of the cylinders, made of iron, cracked in the process, releasing its contents, which were then ignited by sparks from the crash. The second cylinder exploded shortly after, spreading the destruction and resultant fire to the opposite side of the major road.

Full story: http://www.pattayada...-gas-explosion/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2010-09-28

It was more than 20 years ago if I recall correctly - and a Siam Gas Tank again by the way.

One of their Trucks came down the Expressway Off Ramp onto Petchburi Road and tried to turn - he was going far too fast and the Trusk rolled, caught fire and ended up against a row of Shophouses opposite (on the North side of Petchburi Road). The Shophouses were used as low rent accommodation and in addition dozens of cars were waiting at the traffic lights to continue up Petchburi towards Klongtan.

Again if I recall there were actually 94 people who eventually died - residents in the Shophouses and those in many of the cars.

At least it appears the Truck in the most recent incident had proper safety valves fitted which allowed the contents to escape under controlled circumstances - the Truck in the earlier incident simply exploded.

Patrick

It was more than 20 years ago if I recall correctly - and a Siam Gas Tank again by the way.

One of their Trucks came down the Expressway Off Ramp onto Petchburi Road and tried to turn - he was going far too fast and the Trusk rolled, caught fire and ended up against a row of Shophouses opposite (on the North side of Petchburi Road). The Shophouses were used as low rent accommodation and in addition dozens of cars were waiting at the traffic lights to continue up Petchburi towards Klongtan.

Again if I recall there were actually 94 people who eventually died - residents in the Shophouses and those in many of the cars.

At least it appears the Truck in the most recent incident had proper safety valves fitted which allowed the contents to escape under controlled circumstances - the Truck in the earlier incident simply exploded.

Patrick

Around 1992...

LPG Gas Truck Explodes After Accident

BANGKOK: -- An LPG truck crashed into a bridge railing on Pattanakarn Road early this morning, causing a gas leak and subsequent explosions.

Early this morning at around 5.30 A.M., a six-wheeled LPG gas truck of Siam Gas Company with the license plate 75-3816 Bangkok, crashed into a bridge railing on Pattanakarn Road between Soi 20 and 22.

Gas leaked and exploded, causing a fireball as high as a five-storey building.

Explosions continued as the truck carried 4,000 liters of gas.

Those living nearby were evacuated out of their homes. Some seven shophouses sustained damage to their windows.

An unidentified male victim has been seriously injured from the blast and is undergoing treatment at Petcharawej Hospital.

Two more people injured from the blast have been sent to the Viparam and Paetpanya hospitals.

The Klongtan police closed off both the inbound and outbound traffic on Pattanakarn Road from the Klongtan intersection to Pattanakarn Soi 25 to put out the fire.

Klongtan Police Station Commander, Police Major Sittipap Baiprasert disclosed that the gas leak is now under control but traffic will remain closed until all the gas in the truck is burned off.

It has been reported that the truck driver escaped from the scene as soon as the accident happened.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-03-23

footer_n.gif

It has been reported that the truck driver escaped from the scene as soon as the accident happened.

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

And normal service has resumed..

• Like 1

On a somewhat lighthearted note , a friend of mine lived on Petchburi road in the 1990s and he was shall we say ,''indulging in his morning ablutions' when the gas tanker exploded.

Said blast blew him off of his pedestal in the bathroom, he told me later he wondered what the hell he had eaten to produce such a violent reaction.

Good Luck to the BKK Police/Fire fighters

From past experience training pipeline firefighting ones the genie is out the bottle you cannot get it back in the bottle. In other words, ones the gas has a free flow out of the container there is no way you can stop the fire. In this case either a valve or pipe broke off or ruptured giving the gas a free flow path. In the case of LPG, Butane, Propane all in liquid form for transportation and storage one (1) liter liquid form when released turns into 225 liter gaseous form. When out of control, pouring water on it aggravates the situation because it makes the fire float further and further away from the source. Foam is the only correct way to fight this type fire. Only refineries have large enough supply on hand, next are airport firefighting units. City? – LOL.

• Like 1

As of 10am, firefighters still could not put out the blaze which erupted after a tanker of Siam Gas Co Ltd crashed and exploded into flames at about 5.30am.

"Posted Today, 09:27" whistling.gif

"Posted Today, 09:27" whistling.gif

hahahahahahaha good one.... clap2.gif

it is very lucky that the fire can could not be stopped!!!.

In a gas fire or liquid gas fire (like this) : THE ONLY REMEDY IS: DON'T TRY TO STOP THE FIRE BUT LET IT BURN OUT AND CONTROL THE SURROUNDINGS. I am surprised that the fire brigade does not have those instructions??? The photo to me likes a small hole in the tanker, where the gas is coming from ,let it burn

The gas will burn out and the fire extinguish themself if gas is up. When you would stop the fire , stil the gas will spread in a big cloud and no doubt that will find an ignitrion source and the explosion that will follow is 100 timer worse as the fire now. (see 1990 where most likely a great gas cloud had formed and exploded later)

Good Luck to the BKK Police/Fire fighters

From past experience training pipeline firefighting ones the genie is out the bottle you cannot get it back in the bottle. In other words, ones the gas has a free flow out of the container there is no way you can stop the fire. In this case either a valve or pipe broke off or ruptured giving the gas a free flow path. In the case of LPG, Butane, Propane all in liquid form for transportation and storage one (1) liter liquid form when released turns into 225 liter gaseous form. When out of control, pouring water on it aggravates the situation because it makes the fire float further and further away from the source. Foam is the only correct way to fight this type fire. Only refineries have large enough supply on hand, next are airport firefighting units. City? – LOL.

One conciliation, no BLEVE scenario.

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

And normal service has resumed..

I'm confused now, are they still looking for the driver from 1990? rolleyes.gif

it is very lucky that the fire can could not be stopped!!!.

In a gas fire or liquid gas fire (like this) : THE ONLY REMEDY IS: DON'T TRY TO STOP THE FIRE BUT LET IT BURN OUT AND CONTROL THE SURROUNDINGS. I am surprised that the fire brigade does not have those instructions??? The photo to me likes a small hole in the tanker, where the gas is coming from ,let it burn

The gas will burn out and the fire extinguish themself if gas is up. When you would stop the fire , stil the gas will spread in a big cloud and no doubt that will find an ignitrion source and the explosion that will follow is 100 timer worse as the fire now. (see 1990 where most likely a great gas cloud had formed and exploded later)

Basically correct in this situation; because there is a finite amount of Product in the Truck.

However there is not a "small hole in the tanker" , this accident initiated a deliberate discharge of Product, as a safety measure, using a Pressure Relief Valve installed in the Truck, specifically designed to allow controlled release as the internal pressure in the Tank increases when incidents such as this occur, and as far as I can see from the various pictures the system seems to have worked quite well.

As Product in the Truck is released it will ignite on contact with flame from whatever outside source is present, but it is a release controlled by the mechanical properties of the Vent - as opposed to a situation where the Product has no escape route until pressure in the Tank builds up to the point where the whole thing explodes resulting a huge fireball and destruction - such as was seen in the earlier 1989 incident.

Patrick

on Pethchaburi Road under the Highway Bridge