Looking To Buy A Decent Tandem Bike In Thailand

cmsoulbrother

I'd like to do some touring with my young son and I think the best way to do this might be to get us both on a tandem (he is 8), unfortunately, I can't find any tandems for sale in Thailand at all (except for one at probike which is too small for us). I am going back to Canada for a visit soon so I could try to get something over there to bring back with me but I am worried that I will get smacked down with a killer customs duty if I do.

We don't need anything to fancy, but it has to be decent enough to stand up to some touring. If anyone has any ideas on where to find a tandem around these parts I'd be very grateful to know about it. Many thanks,

Just a thought from someone who has been known to build much of his own stuff (including a very fast folding trimaran), have you considered having a decent welder in Thailand make one up for you from a couple of regular bikes?

Maybe you could find some specs on line.

Just a thought. Sure would be cheaper than importing.

Hey onion luke - do you know the name of that bike shop that had the tandem?

Mikecwm - getting one made is an option but I don't know much about this kind of stuff so I'd prefer to buy something already manufactured. May come down to this in the end though!....

I don't know the name of the shop . It is on Thepyoti rd around the corner from the hospital .

Hey onion luke - do you know the name of that bike shop that had the tandem?

Mikecwm - getting one made is an option but I don't know much about this kind of stuff so I'd prefer to buy something already manufactured. May come down to this in the end though!....

I saw a tandem on display at Probike in Bangkok last time I dropped by. But I'd be surprise if they had an inventory of them in different sizes, more likely you'd have to special order it and wait a long time for it to come in. Might be just as easy to get it custom made if there is really a good custom frame maker in Thailand.

What kind of touring are you talking about? I saw a new one in Chiang Mai for sale, but looked like the old style and heavy, more for just tooling around for fun. I could stop next time I go by and get shops name if your interested.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It all depends on where you are. There are a number of bike shops on Thepprasit Road, Pattaya, one of which had a couple of tandems for sale (5,000 - 12,000 baht) which the owner was happy to order to any spec (single speed, 10 speed, 21 speed, 24" wheels, 26" wheels, etc). They're nothing fancy (my last tandem cost about 400,000 baht to have made, and that was 25 years ago!), but I think they'd be up to what you want. If you PM me I'll check the name and phone number when I next go near, but it may be a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I'm quite late in the game, but will offer what we did.

I gave up trying to get a tandem here as there was not much that could meet our needs, especially with my 94cm inseam. We ultimately settled on a Cannondale, which are tops for value. Tried to order it via BKK dealer, but advised by her that the tax/shipping would be too great as Cannondale tandems would have to come from the US. So I picked it up on sale while on a trip to the US and brought it back with me via China Airlines. No excess baggage charge as bikes (tandems) still fly as one piece of standard luggage on CI. In BKK just told the customs folks that it was a bike and off I went no charge here either. Brought a new single bike over last year the same way.

While not quite as nice as the Cannondales, KHS tandems are also very good value, so if there are dealers here, probably the best option for getting started. Since KHS tandems are made in Asia, they are not subject to the same taxes as the Cdales. We're now looking at getting a new frame, possibly with couplers to facilitate traveling, and so that I can get a better fit with a bit more cush than those offered by the massive aluminum tubes Cannondale tandems are known for.