Blt Sandwiches In Thailand

now, bein' yanks and britishers we all agree that a nice BLT warms the palate and the heart...

but all they got widely available in Thailand are packages of American-style streaky bacon which when cooked is flexible like pasta...toast the bread, do the mayo then the toms, salad and streaky bacon and then devour...

a UK BLT uses bacon rashers that are not widely available in Thailand; what do the britishers do then? and what has been done to adapt streaky bacon to a traditional brit BLT...

come on, let's hear it...it ain't just yankee ingenuity that built the world...

but...then there is the sectarian aspect as the vicar of Suphanburi thunders from the pulpit...'Our Lord has put us here to endure heathen victuals and papist bacon whims which we shall resist to preserve our immortal souls...let us pray...'

meanwhile, the little niece sez: 'uncle tutsi, that bacon sarny tastes nice, can I have sum more?'...'sure ye can, sugar...sure ye can...'

evangelical missionaries tramping thru thai jungles when all anyone want's is nice BLT sandwich...'if you eat that BLT your soul shall roast in everlasting fire...' in Suphan de locals finish their BLTs then poke at the soft white flesh and say: 'he'll do OK fer supper...'

earlier in 1966 tutsi was en promenade with a beautiful woman in Cochabamba and an evangelical missionary of his acquaintance approached and said: 'I don't care how many BLTs you've had today but if you touch that woman you know what's gonna happen...'...'yeah there will be an exchange of bodily fluids and then we shall seek more bacon sandwiches...' and then he was afeared for my immortal soul...he was well intentioned, haveta admit...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

I had a great toasted BLT last week at Zen Cafe on Pratumnak. While I am American and would have preferred American Streaky bacon this was English bacon and very good, Oh yeah the price was B70 and canned soft drink another B40. Very good value and situated between a go-go bar (Eye Candy) and a gentleman's club "The Lounge" so if you are dining along easy to find company to join you.

• Like 1

I just don't eat them in Thailand.

ye gots to be flexible...just like the mess of cooked streaky bacon in the frying pan...and there is iceberg lettuce and suitable tomatoes and a sandwich loaf down at the local tescos...and, if yer lucky, Best Foods or Hellmans mayonnaise...

It's back bacon dude (smoked or unsmoked)

that dude, he knows what's happenin'!...great post!...but would he substitute streaky bacon if back bacon was not available? streaky bacon, when cooking smells more compelling in my view...and streaky is more volatile; ye gots to watch it and can't go back to yer cup of tea and News of the World...

when I got streaky thai bacon on the go the aroma permeates the house and the wife's folks (thai food fascists) filter down from upstairs and ask: 'whatcha got cookin' tutsi?'...'it ain't nothin' like you got upstairs inna goddam rice cooker, that's fer goddam sure...'

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

resolved...next time at tescos I shall by 4 packets of streaky bacon and take 2 upstairs to the family kitchen...then calmly slice the toms and shred the lettuce (toast the bread in my toaster downstairs as they ain't got no use fer a toaster) and then dramatically throw the whole sliced bacon slab into the wok with the pop and sizzle...

the step daughter who is the uber fuhrer of thai food fascism will observe, sceptically...

good mayo on the toast then assemble the BLTs (can get 2/3 out of a 250g pack of bacon) and slice into quarter sarnies...lay out on the dining table and then repair to my downstairs lair...

who wants to bet that when I emerge again 15 minutes later the plate of BLTs shall be clean...

of course, no one shall want to lose face and admit that they were the best thing that they had ever tasted...

BLTs rule the world...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

OK now you got me hungrylicklips.gif . I just added to my shopping list of what's for dinner tonight

yeah...that's the beauty of BLTs in Thailand; they are falang cuisine but all the ingredients are easily obtainable from the local supermarket...

all you have to do is to think: 'I shall have a BLT... TODAY!'...hurrah!...

try that when you want spaghetti with meat sauce or chili with beans and can't find no tomato sauce or ground beef...

don't let the bastids beat ye...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

ye gots to be flexible...just like the mess of cooked streaky bacon in the frying pan...and there is iceberg lettuce and suitable tomatoes and a sandwich loaf down at the local tescos...and, if yer lucky, Best Foods or Hellmans mayonnaise...

I like my bacon mai suk so streaky just doesn't cut the mustard.

The alure of bacon...

I worked for a Jewish fella many years back. He asked me to come in early one day so I said sure, if he grabs me a couple of bacon sandwiches on the way in. Next morning he handed me a couple of bacon sondwiches and the proceeded to tuck into one himself. Should you be eating that I asked, no he replied. Bacon is a very special thing I guess.

I like my bacon mai suk so streaky just doesn't cut the mustard.

The alure of bacon...

I worked for a Jewish fella many years back. He asked me to come in early one day so I said sure, if he grabs me a couple of bacon sandwiches on the way in. Next morning he handed me a couple of bacon sondwiches and the proceeded to tuck into one himself. Should you be eating that I asked, no he replied. Bacon is a very special thing I guess.

jews and their requirements are boring...most of the chews that I know like bacon and pork ribs but they are from LA so it's different...New York chews gotta make a display of everything...'that's an awful nice pastrami sandwich you got...'...'oh yeah? well listen; if it weren't fer jews around here then half of the local cuisine would go to shit...you see them kosher pickles?'

tutsi with his jewish girlfriend in bed with a mass of semitic dark curly hair...'got sumpin fer ye, honey, I'm gonna misceginate the jewish race...' 'look out, ye goyishe bastid...'