That Sickening Thai-hyena Laugh

Trevor

This occurs whilst being served at a counter, or just after, as you turn and leave. The two Thais on duty make a joke or quip about the farang, directly within earshot, and then descend into a scathing, mocking hyena-like laugh which they pretend the foreigner doesn't hear. I have never heard this condescending behaviour in front of a Thai customer.

It even extends to government officials. As I was exiting Don Muang immigration on the very last day of a 90-day entry, the guy stamping my passport actually showed it to his watching assistant and they descended into howls of laughter. The reason: I was leaving on the last permitted day. Absolutely weird.

I have not experienced this humiliating form of laughter directly to the customer's face anywhere else in the world.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This occurs whilst being served at a counter, or just after, as you turn and leave.  The two Thais on duty make a joke or quip about the farang, directly within earshot, and then descend into a scathing, mocking hyena-like laugh which they pretend the foreigner doesn't hear.  I have never heard this condescending behaviour in front of a Thai customer.

It even extends to government officials.  As I was exiting Don Muang immigration on the very last day of a 90-day entry, the guy stamping my passport actually showed it to his watching assistant and they descended into howls of laughter.  The reason: I was leaving on the last permitted day.  Absolutely weird.

I have not experienced this humiliating form of laughter directly to the customer's face anywhere else in the world.

:o

I normally get the laff when I say what happens if I don't pay the exit visa. :D

Can you speak Thai? I doubt they are making fun of you. More likely a mixture of their nervousness and a bit of paranoia on your part.

Thais love to laugh. Spend some time outside the Land of Smiles and in the Land of Scowls (Korea) and you will appreciate it more.

cv

Funny, I have never experienced it here, either. Perhaps it is because I am always polite, friendly and well dressed?

Nothing to do with that, perhaps the difference between Bangkok and the islands? :D

Best thing to do is to learn Thai as fast as possible and when they take the piss out of you, turn round and give it back to them in their own language. :o

This occurs whilst being served at a counter, or just after, as you turn and leave.   The two Thais on duty make a joke or quip about the farang, directly within earshot, and then descend into a scathing, mocking hyena-like laugh which they pretend the foreigner doesn't hear.   I have never heard this condescending behaviour in front of a Thai customer.

It even extends to government officials.   As I was exiting Don Muang immigration on the very last day of a 90-day entry, the guy stamping my passport actually showed it to his watching assistant and they descended into howls of laughter.   The reason: I was leaving on the last permitted day.   Absolutely weird.

You get that often , do you ?

There not laughing at you , their laughing with you . :o

Edited by Jeff1

Yeah, and while we are on the subject:

Whats up with that horrible French Body Odor?

What about those crazy ugly teeth everybody in Britain has?

Whats up with the mustaches on all those Greek women?

Whats up with Africans, why are they so poor?

What about those horrible American's. Why don't they just stay home!

Whats up with those Japanese. Why are they so obsessed with money.

Its called stereotyping. Just another dressed up form of racism.

Open your eyes and your ears, and spend time learning about individuals.

Peace

This occurs whilst being served at a counter, or just after, as you turn and leave.  The two Thais on duty make a joke or quip about the farang, directly within earshot, and then descend into a scathing, mocking hyena-like laugh which they pretend the foreigner doesn't hear.  I have never heard this condescending behaviour in front of a Thai customer.

It even extends to government officials.  As I was exiting Don Muang immigration on the very last day of a 90-day entry, the guy stamping my passport actually showed it to his watching assistant and they descended into howls of laughter.  The reason: I was leaving on the last permitted day.  Absolutely weird.

If you think they are laughing at you, try to figure out why. Check yo' self befo' you wreck yo' self. :o

Come on, really, didn't you know? Leaving on the last day of a visa? It's like touching a monk's head with your foot, or stomping on a ten baht coin, or giving a high forehead wai to child beggars on Sukhumvit for Pete's sake -- it's just not done! Farang bah!!

What about those horrible American's.  Why don't they just stay home!

Because even they don't want to be surrounded by 280million yanks :D

cv

I said before and I'll say it again, Yanks can't stand each other! :o

Speak for yourself... :D

Because even they don't want to be surrounded by 280million yanks :D

cv

I said before and I'll say it again, Yanks can't stand each other! :o

Speak for yourself... :D

Sure Boon, and all the people in Bedlam who agrue to Bush or not to Bush are all Brits. And Neo-hippies and Neo-Con hold hands while walking down the street, and anti-gunners and the NRA have sunday picnics together, and everybody loves Pat Robertson. Talk about rose-colored glasses Boon. :D

Yeah, and while we are on the subject:

Whats up with that horrible French Body Odor?

What about those crazy ugly teeth everybody in Britain has?

Whats up with the mustaches on all those Greek women?

Whats up with Africans, why are they so poor?

Whats up with those Japanese.  Why are they so obsessed with money.

Its called stereotyping.  Just another dressed up form of racism. 

Open your eyes and your ears, and spend time learning about individuals.

Peace

Hey! C'mon! Leave it out! Us Brits don't have bad...eh? Oh! Right... :o

Jez