Bombs Kill Seven In Southern Thailand Town: Military

webfact

Bombs kill seven in southern Thailand town: military

YALA, Thailand, March 31, 2012 (AFP) - Three bomb attacks killed seven people and wounded dozens more Saturday in the main town in Thailand's insurgency-hit far south, the military said.

The blasts hit the centre of Yala around midday just minutes apart.

"Seven people are confirmed dead, more than 70 others were wounded in the Yala bomb blasts," Colonel Pramote Promin, spokesman for the southern army region, told AFP.

"There were three bombs that exploded, the first is a car bomb and the second and third bombs were hidden in motorcycles," the colonel said.

Several shop houses near the blast sites were on fire and many parked cars and motorcycles were damaged by the powerful explosions.

A Yala city policeman said more than 50 wounded had been taken to hospital.

"The bombs went off about 10 minutes apart," he said.

One policeman was wounded in a separate motorcycle bomb attack in Mae Lan district of neighbouring Pattani province, police said.

A complex insurgency, without clearly stated aims, has plagued Thailand's far south near the border with Malaysia since 2004, claiming thousands of lives, both Buddhist and Muslim, with near-daily bomb or gun attacks.

Struggling to quell the unrest, authorities have imposed emergency rule in the Muslim-majority region, which rights campaigners say effectively gives the army legal immunity.

The military last week admitted troops had shot dead four Muslim villagers on their way to a funeral due to a "misunderstanding" in late January after apparently fearing they were under attack from militants.

One of the region's deadliest incidents occurred on October 25, 2004, when seven people were shot dead as security forces broke up a protest in the town of Tak Bai, and 78 more suffocated or were crushed to death in trucks while being transported to a detention centre.

Rights groups have said the failure of Thai authorities to hold security forces to account over the deaths has fuelled further violence and alienation in the southern region.

The insurgents are not thought to be part of a global jihad movement but are instead rebelling against a long history of perceived discrimination against ethnic Malay Muslims by governments in the Buddhist-majority nation.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-03-31

reconciliation should include not only political division within thai society, but also religious conflict in the south. This conflict is not going to fade away by itself, it's as strong as it was before, back in 2004

Edited by londonthai

who's country is this, i am amazed, is it not thailand, are they legal thai residents, i dont understand why any country has to put up with these cowards that , if they dont get there own way , they just kill inocent people , with cowardly bombs

• Like 2

Maybe its somewhat overdue that The "security" services sought "outside help" as it would appear the Thai ones are clueless at stopping this modern day scourge to man kind ,indeed they seem to be alienating themselves more than ever after the"mistaken Identity" debacle only a few short weeks ago which NO ONE will be found responsible and punished., buying off the victims loved ones seems very much in vogue here in Thailand.

Religious conflicts are always the worst because both sides believe they are morally right. This did not start as a religious conflict but has now become so, so inevitably it will get worse.

Maybe its somewhat overdue that The "security" services sought "outside help" as it would appear the Thai ones are clueless at stopping this modern day scourge to man kind ,indeed they seem to be alienating themselves more than ever after the"mistaken Identity" debacle only a few short weeks ago which NO ONE will be found responsible and punished., buying off the victims loved ones seems very much in vogue here in Thailand.

Inviting "outside help" is only likely to exacerbate the problem and add a new dimension to the sense of grievances already felt on both sides.

When the British Police totally mucked up the recent riots in UK, they invited in an American to help them understand basic community relations and policing methods, but obviously Scotland Yard & Co felt a loss of face at the political interference and because it made their incompetence all the more obvious.

August 15, 2011|By Brian Paddick, Special to CNN

The problem for politicians faced with situations like the one in the UK over the past 10 days is the need to be seen to be doing something positive about it. Talk about long-term problems requiring long-term solutions just doesn't cut it with the voters, even if that is the answer.

British Prime Minister David Cameron's decision to import Bill Bratton to advise on British gangs is understandable considering Bratton's track record of success in the States, but it has more downsides than upsides.

Already bruised by politicians' criticism of the initial police response to the riots, Bratton's invitation adds insult to injury at Scotland Yard.

As a former senior officer trained to deal with riots and having been in the 1981 Brixton disturbances myself, I believe officers should have anticipated that the peaceful protest against a police shooting, which sparked the riots, would turn violent.

They should have had more officers available to deal with the demonstration in Tottenham, north London and the police policy of containment, with arrests only being made later on the back of CCTV evidence, should have been changed more swiftly than it was. Both public and looters misinterpreted the police approach as a green light for criminality.

http://articles.cnn....s?_s=PM:OPINION

Edited by Suradit69

the insurgents are muslims. they kill muslims and buddhists. nobody in that regions seems to stand up and protest against this indiscrimate and senseless killing of innocent people. when the thai army joins the killing of innocent people, the public stands up and cries foul. so much for double standards. and no, i do not think that anybody should try to find excuses neither for the insurgents' nor the army's killings.

who's country is this, i am amazed, is it not thailand, are they legal thai residents, i dont understand why any country has to put up with these cowards that , if they dont get there own way , they just kill inocent people , with cowardly bombs

It's their mandate. Thais will learn there is no neutrality for infidels.

• Like 1

Religious conflicts are always the worst because both sides believe they are morally right. This did not start as a religious conflict but has now become so, so inevitably it will get worse.

Unfortunately it's always with the same "religion" that such things happens. I'll not elaborate as I know how PC correct the mods are on this forum.

Edited by Cornichon88

So these are different bombings then the previous article here where there was an explosion in Hat Yai Hotel?

Somethings going on and it's not good. RIP to all the victoms and up-coming victoms I'm sure

Triple bomb attack kills nine in Thailand

YALA, Thailand, March 31, 2012 (AFP) - Three bomb attacks minutes apart killed nine people and wounded more than 100 on Saturday in the main town in Thailand's insurgency-hit far south, a hospital worker said.

The blasts hit the centre of Yala around midday as families were out shopping. Several shop houses near the blast sites were set on fire and many parked cars and motorcycles were damaged by the powerful explosions.

"There are nine dead now and 112 injured people sent to our hospital," a nurse in the emergency unit of Yala provincial hospital told AFP.

The public health ministry said 10 people were in critical condition with severe burns.

Colonel Pramote Promin, spokesman for the southern army region, earlier gave a toll of seven dead and more than 70 wounded.

"There were three bombs that exploded, the first is a car bomb and the second and third bombs were hidden in motorcycles," the colonel said.

A Yala city policeman added: "The bombs went off about 10 minutes apart."

Bomb squad officers were seen inspecting the mangled car wreckage at the site of the car bomb as firefighters doused blazes nearby.

Rescue workers helped bloodied victims and searched for other wounded people as smoke filled the street.

One policeman was wounded in a separate motorcycle bomb attack in Mae Lan district of neighbouring Pattani province, police said.

The Yala bombing was the worst attack since January last year, when nine people were killed by a bomb in a village in Yala province.

A complex insurgency, without clearly stated aims, has plagued Thailand's far south near the border with Malaysia since 2004, claiming thousands of lives, both Buddhist and Muslim, with near-daily bomb or gun attacks.

Struggling to quell the unrest, authorities have imposed emergency rule in the Muslim-majority region, which rights campaigners say effectively gives the army legal immunity.

The military last week admitted troops had shot dead four Muslim villagers on their way to a funeral due to a "misunderstanding" in late January after apparently fearing they were under attack from militants.

One of the region's deadliest incidents occurred on October 25, 2004, when seven people were shot dead as security forces broke up a protest in the town of Tak Bai, and 78 more suffocated or were crushed to death in trucks while being transported to a detention centre.

Rights groups have said the failure of Thai authorities to hold security forces to account over the deaths has fuelled further violence and alienation in the southern region.

The insurgents are not thought to be part of a global jihad movement but are instead rebelling against a long history of perceived discrimination against ethnic Malay Muslims by successive governments in the Buddhist-majority nation.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-03-31

quote:

The insurgents are not thought to be part of a global jihad movement but are instead rebelling against a long history of perceived discrimination against ethnic Malay Muslims by governments in the Buddhist-majority nation.

unquote.

And that is the real reason indeed. Thai officials are never responsible, no matter how big their mistakes are. They are never put on trial and they are never punished for the wrong they are committing almost every day in the South. I challenge every father and mother here on Thai soil to tell me if they would accept what's going on, after hearing that their child has suffocated on a military truck towards a prison, but that no one was found responsible for this "murder"... This is a despicable act of white-washing officials for their act and no one, believe me, no one will ever accept this. Even admitting that it may have been an "accident" (we heard of so many accidents during the Thaksin Government when drug dealers were shooting each other, killing more than 2,500 "drug-dealers" of their own rank) but no, even this has never admitted! Put yourself in their place... You would also call for revenge if compensation is not considered (following acknowledgment of guilt). This unrest and bombing will unfortunately go on for several more years to come until the Government and the military change attitude, admit guilt, punish the responsibles and compensate the families!!!

That is what I call a "state of law" showing maturity!

Of course yours is a powerful message ,the message of truth, which unfortunately will be completely Ignored ,and so the misery will go on and on, which will not be suffered by those in "high places"who "make the rules" but by poor people who have no voice as to their future, so sad, so sad!.
  • Like 1

Another sad day for Thailand, more innocent lives lost to a group of conscienceless indivduals who see killing the innocent as an ends to a means, that is the realisation of thier dream of separating from Thailand and establishing an indipendant state, they are willing to sacrfice to achieve thier goal (just not themselves).

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

An Arab muslim once told me "Not all muslims are terrorists but unfortunately most terrorists are muslim".

I know there are terrorists from all religions you only need to look at the NI problem the UK used to have. However the above thought has always stuck in my mind.

I agree it's cowardly and senseless killing but as to who's country it is, it's much more complicated than that.

Historically these provinces have had nothing to do with the rest of Thailand, culturally. They were just wanted by Thailand but were not always a part of the kingdom. About a hundred years ago they officially became part of the current Thailand area due to a treaty with the British, who basically controlled Malaysia at the time. The people in the area had no say and did not want to be part of Thailand since then. Recent generations have not forgotten. These things have their reasons, they just don't happen for no reason.

Edited by Jimjim

Muslim Thais feel quite rightly discriminated against - they end up with low paying menial labourer jobs because much of their education was spent learning to quote slabs of the koran in arabic, and their inability to read and write the language of their country.

A slightly better education in their enemies' schools would enable them a better chance at finding more remunative employment. That is why they are a major target of the terrorists. Any school that actually taught children to think rather than accept "faith" would need to be inside a fortress.