What Is A Tactful Way To Tell Your Trad Thai Masseuse That 1 Hour Is 1 Hour ?

chubby

a tactful way to tell your trad thai masseuse that 1 hour is 1 hour ?

i speak a little thai, but don't want them to get upset , but i'd swear i'm getting shorted 20 minutes each time

thanks and joke as you like

The way to make sure is by being playful. Demanding/stern won't work, especially with a young Thai lass

(guessing Nok, let's call her Nok, is such). So, here's what you do from my own experience.

1. Praise her before she starts out: K. Nok, nuaat keng. Phom chob maak. (Smile, yes you.)

2. Then, ask for a full hour: Neng chuomo tem, naa! (it all hinges on how you say naa - should be

drawn out in a playful mock admonishing tone)

3. Keep the watch handy and if she stops short:

"Oow, neng chuomo yang mai theng!" Again the oow is critical - shouldn't be harsh.

If all this doesn't work, nothing will, buy a vibrating chair.

• Like 1

I own a spa and the only reasons the time could justifiably have been cut short are:

1. You arrived very late for your appointment without giving notice and the spa is otherwise fully booked so your treatment room / therapist may be needed before the 60 minutes

2. You acted inappropriately during the treatment (I can explain further if necessary) and hence the therapist felt unable to continue the treatment

Either way, receptionist or management should have explained the situation

In case neither of the above applied you should inform management who, in any reputable spa, will take such a complaint very seriously

I own a spa and the only reasons the time could justifiably have been cut short are:

1. You arrived very late for your appointment without giving notice and the spa is otherwise fully booked so your treatment room / therapist may be needed before the 60 minutes

2. You acted inappropriately during the treatment (I can explain further if necessary) and hence the therapist felt unable to continue the treatment

Either way, receptionist or management should have explained the situation

In case neither of the above applied you should inform management who, in any reputable spa, will take such a complaint very seriously

Sorry mate,but we're here talking about Trad, not London. Edited by pipo1000
  • Like 1

The way to make sure is by being playful. Demanding/stern won't work, especially with a young Thai lass

(guessing Nok, let's call her Nok, is such). So, here's what you do from my own experience.

1. Praise her before she starts out: K. Nok, nuaat keng. Phom chob maak. (Smile, yes you.)

2. Then, ask for a full hour: Neng chuomo tem, naa! (it all hinges on how you say naa - should be

"Oow, neng chuomo yang mai theng!" Again the oow is critical - shouldn't be harsh.

Couldn't have explained it better myself. The emphasis on the "Ow!" IS very important (should sound like when you hurt, but them it's a 'whoah, hold on a sec!)'.... and as was noted before, the smile while you do it is key.

Having and using the stopwatch on a smartphone can make it crystal clear.

You may be able to nip it in the bud diplomatically by asking the manager - before you begin so no masseuse can take it personally - when the actual hour starts, whether it's before or after you change clothes (granting the mgr's English is halfway decent). This sends a subtle but clear signal that you're mindful of the time.

Ignore the w11guy who said you won't get far in life in the post above, it's clear you're trying to sort out the cultural nuances here and that's not something you ought to be blamed for.

Edited by seminomadic

They are supposed to keep track of time themselves and not make it too long or too short. If it's that short each time, you need to say something. If she doesn't take it seriously, I *wouldn't* bother complaining to the management- do you really want an hour massage from someone who's just been FORCED to spend more time with you by threat of being fired? Find another masseuse or another shop.

Tact isn't called for here. They're breaking your exchange agreement, in essence stealing your money by giving you less time than agreed.

Couldn't have explained it better myself. The emphasis on the "Ow!" IS very important (should sound like when you hurt, but them it's a 'whoah, hold on a sec!)'.... and as was noted before, the smile while you do it is key.

Having and using the stopwatch on a smartphone can make it crystal clear.

You may be able to nip it in the bud diplomatically by asking the manager - before you begin so no masseuse can take it personally - when the actual hour starts, whether it's before or after you change clothes (granting the mgr's English is halfway decent). This sends a subtle but clear signal that you're mindful of the time.

Ignore the w11guy who said you won't get far in life in the post above, it's clear you're trying to sort out the cultural nuances here and that's not something you ought to be blamed for.

LOL. There aren't any cultural nuances. It's a complete rip-off. It's not Thai culture to cut a massage short. I've had plenty of massages in different places and they've all stuck to the correct time.

LOL. There aren't any cultural nuances. It's a complete rip-off. It's not Thai culture to cut a massage short. I've had plenty of massages in different places and they've all stuck to the correct time.

Agreed, it's not Thai culture generally to short change but there could be other factors. E.g., I usually go after a night

out dancing when my poor legs crave a good kneading. But what I've found is that the girls' social life often starts

when the parlor closes. And if I am one of the last customers, which I usually am, then (in an unthreatening way) I

stand between them and "naat kap fan" (or, I suspect, judging from the phone conversations I overhear, the

occasional paid assignation with an earlier customer).

That's exactly where I've found a little foreplay if you will in the form of playful banter, and the promise of

a fairly nice tip which I tend to pay, keeps them faithful to the hour.

As for the more forthright "demand what you paid for and consequences be damned" approach some are

advocating, from my (admittedly few) years of living in this country, I've found a lighter touch with the

natives usually more productive.

Traditional Thai massage takes at least an hour and a half to go through all the required steps. When I've gone for an hour it always feels very rushed. For the masseuse to cut that down to 40min, something has gone very wrong. Recommend changing shops asap

......thanks sorta what was looking for

Ask for an hour 20 minute massage the next time. You'll probably get an hour. My understanding was the hour long massage also includes the time they wash your feet and the time you take to change into the over sized pj's. So actual massage time might be between 45 to 50 minutes, with 10 to 15 minutes feet washing and others.

I don't think the hour is from the time she touches you until the time she stops. That is why most people get the two hour massage. But then again, I am not a big fan of Thai massage.

Ask for an hour 20 minute massage the next time. You'll probably get an hour. My understanding was the hour long massage also includes the time they wash your feet and the time you take to change into the over sized pj's. So actual massage time might be between 45 to 50 minutes, with 10 to 15 minutes feet washing and others.

I don't think the hour is from the time she touches you until the time she stops. That is why most people get the two hour massage. But then again, I am not a big fan of Thai massage.

starts from the time they first place their hands on you, which is after you change clothes

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from TV android app.