Uk Settlement Visa. Can Use Nhs? Allowed To Work?

I'd be very grateful for some quick help please!

I know all this info is to be found somewhere on the UKBA website, but I find it a bit of a maze, my eyes aren't 'up to it' and my wife and I are busy preparing to return to the UK on Friday.

My wife has recently been garanted a UK Settlement Visa.:

'VISA SETTLEMENT SPOUSE/CP(KOL REQ)' (Valid 27 months).

'No recourse to public funds'

On previous visits to the UK I have always got travel insurance for my wife to cover medical treatment. Does the No recourse to public funds include not elligable NHS treatment?.Do I need to buy insurance again?

Also is my wife allowed to work in th UK during this time?

An aside: Having paid VFS 470 Baht for 'courier service' I'm surprised that the passport & documents arrived in a non-padded plastic bag via ThaiPost after 2 days (Our most precious documents were battered & crumpled). There was no booklet, leaflet, letter, or even a compliments slip from UKBA to explain the meaning of the visa entitlement. Not everybody has internet access to the UKBA website or the help of ThaiVisa members!

Many thanks.

When she arrives in uk give job centre plus a call and get her sorted out with a national insurance card, if they ask her why she needs it (they did with us) tell them she needs it for when she starts to work; you've also got the card then if she does need to visit hospital/ doctors ect. Cheers

Guest jonzboy

actually, you don't need the NI card to visit the doctor, just make an appointment for your wife at your nearest GP practice to register and get her to take along her passport and something to prove her/your address in UK

your need an N I number to learn too allthough you have to be here a year first before taking an esol or equivalent course, oh when you travel keep the iom form in your hand luggage as they ask to see it at the uk border

you have to be here a year first before taking an esol or equivalent course

Not quite; a new resident can start a course of study immediately if they wish. However, as I understand it, they have to be resident in the UK for at least a year before being eligible for UK student fees rather than the usually much higher overseas student fees.

Obviously this does not apply to children under 16 who are entitled to free schooling from day 1 of taking up residence in the UK; indeed, LEAs are obliged to find a school place for them.

your need an N I number to learn too allthough you have to be here a year first before taking an esol or equivalent course, oh when you travel keep the iom form in your hand luggage as they ask to see it at the uk border

Check with the local college. Many will allow people on TLR to start ESOL courses at any stage. My wife started hers within a few weeks of arrival. With financial belt tightening things may have changed a bit and it could be the fee structure is different in the first year.

ESOL courses are a great way for people to gain confidence and learn a lot about the UK in a short time! They can be worth their weight in gold! My wife only had to show her passport and visa to be admitted on the course.

Clearly different local authorities view things a bit differently. Our local college was great!

Doctors may be a bit confused about the registration process especially in low immigration areas but again passport/visa and proof of address is required. Get your wife's name on your council tax bill ASAP because it is one of the few situations where there is no need for any form of credit check which is always difficult if you have no history in the UK. The council will write back confirming this.

Armed with the letter and passport many doors will now open. if possible get your wife's name on a utility bill or two. This is not always as easy as you may think!

From day one keep documentation at all stages and build up a file because you will need to send evidence that you are living together when she applies for ILR in two years time and the UKBA want this to cover the entire two years. It will make the ILR application a doddle (other than the vast amount it will cost you).

7x7 was clearly typing at the same time I was!

Edited by bobrussell
  • Like 1

As above both very easily sorted. One of the first things we did was register my wife at the local doctors surgery. Just filled in a form and took it into the doctors and a letter was sent a few days later with her NHS number.

Same for working. My mrs has been here 4.5months and just started her first job working part-time. A couple of moths ago when we started looking for jobs for her I sorted her NI number. There is a dedicated National Insurance telephone number on the Directgov website. They asked me my wifes name, what visa she was on, what date she entered the UK and why she wanted an NI number. They sent a form out in the post which we completed and returned with a copy of my wifes passport & visa. A couple of weeks later a letter arrived containing her NI number. Thats the easy part, finding work however........