Best Way To Bring Money For A Vacation

Pudgimelon

I see mentioned in this thread that they charge a rate of 3% and that $100 travelers checks get the best rate, but I don't recall the rate above the standard exchange rate being that much...more like 1% if I recall, but I didn't really pay close attention.  And I didn't see any mention of the denomination of travelers checks.  I did see a different rate for smaller denominations of currency, but not for travelers checks.  I'm planning on bringing in $1000 denomination checks.  Will this be good?

In Bangkok I've been able to cash TCs for 30 baht each at the bank (SCB), but in more remote places like Koh Tao they charged 3%. I am not 100 percent sure that $100 TCs get a better exchange rate like bank notes do.

I've never heard of a $1000 denomination TC, however it doesn't sound like a good idea unless you're planning on buying yourself a motorbike instead of renting... :D

I always bring a fair amount of travellers cheques in 200 pound sterling ( i guess 100 dollar if you cannot get sterling. ) higher denominations aren,t usually neccesary.

As a couple of posts point out the main reason being security and being able to

get replacements if they are lost/stolen.

I also have some cash to back it up but not to much as you can cash them anywhere normally.

If you need a certain amount for a trip /excursion you can easily cash a cheque for the amount you need.

In 13 years i have never had nor trusted a credit/ATM card and managed very well and leave them in the u.k.

Keep the receipt you get with your cheques in a safe place separate from the

actual t.cheques, don,t forget this point please.

I usually write the info down in code and a record of ones already used as well. and separate from my passport.

Also a bank or bank exchange unit will always give you a set exchange rate as recommended for that day, without extra charges above the standard rates.

I pay 30 baht fee and 3 baht stamp duty per 200 pounds cheque.

Remember this charge is for each cheque no matter how much it is worth so it,s important to get higher denominations. :o:D:D

marshbags

One further bit of advice for new users of T.C,s only sign it in front of the cashier when you go to the bank ect.

I replied for the benefit of all newbies regarding my personal experience only

DON,T send anyone to cash them for you either or flash them about.

Nice one Red eyes :o:D:D

marshbags