International Cycling Competition (01-10 April, 2012)

toybits

I have been taking photos of this race for a few days now and have posted a few shots under Images of Chiang Rai. I find it strange that nobody has even mentioned it here. The race is not on its 4th stage (today 05 April). Tomorrow, the last stage for the men's division will be held. Thereafter, the women's division will start. More than 20 teams from all over the world are participating (Kazakstan, Uzbekistan, Syria, Vietnam, Australia (winner of prologue), New Zealand (winner of 3rd Stage), Singapore, Malaysia, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Denmark, Chinese Taipei, Indonesia, Hongkong, Brunei.

• Like 1

Such is the state of our diminutive Chiang Rai forum. Everyone is hunkered down in their own little bunker. Quite a depressing environment if you ask me.

Driving to town yesterday we did notice some race signage but didn’t see a single bike all day. I thought how wonderful it must be to breath in our thick brown air while peddling as hard as you can. Now today is a different story, with the air clean enough after last night’s rain that I am considering going for a mountain bike ride myself.

Sorry others are not as thrilled as you to watch the boys in spandex go by.biggrin.png

I was stopped by the Police yesterday around 1pm on my way home and told to get off the road. He mentioned a princess and a Cycle ride, . I tried to zap him on the spot with my <deleted> Stare but it didn't work this time, I was the second Car to be stopped and did think to just ignore him and drive on but unfortunately I didn't . Spent about 1 hour waiting at the side of the road for this event. The cycles only took up one lane but the support vehicles where all over the road as where the Press. More like Wacky Races ........

I was stopped by the Police yesterday around 1pm on my way home and told to get off the road. He mentioned a princess and a Cycle ride, . I tried to zap him on the spot with my <deleted> Stare but it didn't work this time, I was the second Car to be stopped and did think to just ignore him and drive on but unfortunately I didn't . Spent about 1 hour waiting at the side of the road for this event. The cycles only took up one lane but the support vehicles where all over the road as where the Press. More like Wacky Races ........

WELCOME BACK!

No race today. Men's division races ended yesterday (6th of April). Women's division race starts on Easter Sunday.

Was in town again today and didn't see a single bike but the Songkran traffic is beginning to pick up.

There's no problem with the forum VR, apart from the usual moaners that is, the problem is that only one of the bicycle shops in town knew anything about this/these races going on and he was keeping quiet to maximize his income. Tha matter of this and other announcements is being taken seriously (?) by the Governor who is insisting that all future events be publicised in Thai AND English.

A question was asked though and that is "what is the best way to contact ALL expats throughout Chiang Rai Province?" My response is that would be very difficult. SOme read Thai Visa, some don't, some frequent the seedier side of town, some don't, ditto, the Expat club. There must be a way though, surely? Or is it that some just don't want to be found or take part?

Any ideas on a postcard to the usual address please

There now is a PATA (Pacific-Asia Travel Assoc) chapter in Thailand. Perhaps, next time they should be involved. Furthermore, there is a Chiang Rai Tourism Association. Why were they not involved? What was TAT not involved? Why did TAT NOT get involved. Just imagine all of these foreigners here in Chiang Rai for so many days!

I don't know if they (the athletes) were being kept away from the rest of us? Fear of getting spiked drinks that would disqualify them?

I really don't know how these competitions work.

There's no problem with the forum VR, apart from the usual moaners that is, the problem is that only one of the bicycle shops in town knew anything about this/these races going on and he was keeping quiet to maximize his income. Tha matter of this and other announcements is being taken seriously (?) by the Governor who is insisting that all future events be publicised in Thai AND English.

A question was asked though and that is "what is the best way to contact ALL expats throughout Chiang Rai Province?" My response is that would be very difficult. SOme read Thai Visa, some don't, some frequent the seedier side of town, some don't, ditto, the Expat club. There must be a way though, surely? Or is it that some just don't want to be found or take part?

There now is a PATA (Pacific-Asia Travel Assoc) chapter in Thailand. Perhaps, next time they should be involved. Furthermore, there is a Chiang Rai Tourism Association. Why were they not involved? What was TAT not involved? Why did TAT NOT get involved. Just imagine all of these foreigners here in Chiang Rai for so many days!

I don't know if they (the athletes) were being kept away from the rest of us? Fear of getting spiked drinks that would disqualify them?

I really don't know how these competitions work.

Toybits

All good and very pertinent questions. PATA's chairperson in Chiang Rai was also at a loss to know why they had not been informed. As for the Tourist Association here, what a dead loss that is.

In fact, the questions you raised and a few of my own were put to PATA the day the event started and they are following with the Chiang Rai Governor though where it will go and how far is anyone's guess.

Having been involved in the past with similar events I can only guess as to what the sponsors are feeling. The whole reason for sponsoring this and any event is the "quid pro quo" that comes with it. Lots of spectators see your product advertised and want to buy /try what ever it is. The problem then becomes a vicious circle, sponsors with no spectator's eyes to see, say no thanks next year. The event then either moves on to more favourable climes or just fades into non-existence. The only saving grace may be the Royal patronage. That's no excuse though.