Samsung 50Inch Plasma

maipompui

Have been offered a 50 inch plasma samsung p550430alxxt model1109..one year old for a fair price.

I heard that the larger models are problematic...any info from owners of such beast or reliable facts regarding this model , much appreciated...thanks..

Edited by maipompui

Have been offered a 50 inch plasma samsung p550430alxxt model1109..one year old for a fair price.

I heard that the larger models are problematic...any info from owners of such beast or reliable facts regarding this model , much appreciated...thanks..

I owned a similar model for three years before I sold it. I never had any issues other than being very hot. Sold it for a LED model last year.

I'm using a Samsung 43" at home right now, no issues.

In the pub my 50" was a Hitachi but all the 42's (x4) were Samsung - again no issues - and they got a fair amount of abuse (running up to 24 hours a day for years).

The biggest problem with 2nd hand is you have no recourse if the thing dies after 3 months, but you pays your money and takes your chances. If it's enough of a bargain I'd go for it...

Make sure you know what a reasonable price is too. Prices are plummeting... E.g. an LG plasma 50 inch 3d TV can cost NEW as little as 17000.

Plasma do not suffer with short lifespan like they used to either.

Imho, plasma is better picture and value, than LCD. LED is pricier but better pic... But they are a LOT pricier.

Plasmas have gone out of favor in US, but a lot of them are still sold worldwide.

The average plasma refresh rate is something to be admired, especially if you watch fast moving sports/action TV or movies.

Also, plasma USED to be the king of black - meaning that they offer the best color.

My advice would be to go into say... Siam TV and find the closest plasma you can to that model and do side by side viewing of comparably priced LCD and LED tvs....

BTW...searched for that model, just to see specs, and cannot find it anywhere... so make sure it is 1080p, not 720p as many cheaper plasmas are..

Plasmas have gone out of favor in US, but a lot of them are still sold worldwide.

The average plasma refresh rate is something to be admired, especially if you watch fast moving sports/action TV or movies.

Also, plasma USED to be the king of black - meaning that they offer the best color.

My advice would be to go into say... Siam TV and find the closest plasma you can to that model and do side by side viewing of comparably priced LCD and LED tvs....

BTW...searched for that model, just to see specs, and cannot find it anywhere... so make sure it is 1080p, not 720p as many cheaper plasmas are..

Yes, good advice... thanks to all for the info..The model no;i got a little wrong, but this is as given

model ps50c430a1xxt. .also researched it and nothing came up??

Do a search just for 'ps50c430a1' - the last three characters are usually the country code; in this case 'xxt' being from Thailand. There are very few regional differences between models, although occasionally there can be some big differences.

A search on Samsung's Thai website, brings up this.

My initial Google search on just the model number took me to the UAE site.

Do a search just for 'ps50c430a1' - the last three characters are usually the country code; in this case 'xxt' being from Thailand. There are very few regional differences between models, although occasionally there can be some big differences.

Thanks for that link...sounds all OK to me..one thing i'm not sure of is ..is it 1080 or 720 and is there a noticable difference...i guess it refers to pixels...i'm still looking at my old 29 in big box set so anything will be an improvement for me..

the difference between 720P and 1080P is not detectable by the human eye on a 50" device.

Thanks for that link...sounds all OK to me..one thing i'm not sure of is ..is it 1080 or 720 and is there a noticable difference...i guess it refers to pixels...i'm still looking at my old 29 in big box set so anything will be an improvement for me..

The plasma in your link is 720P,in secondhand a deal only if it is less than 10.000 Baht,otherwise you better buy new with higher spec for 17000 Baht as another poster mentioned already.
  • Like 1

The resolution of this model is 1365 x 768 (1365 pixels wide and 768 pixels high). HD, or 720p, is 1280 x 720; and Full HD, or 1080p, is 1920 x 1080 - so it will be able to display HD (DVD quality pictures) but not Full HD (which is Blu-Ray quality). You'll definitely notice the difference!

the difference between 720P and 1080P is not detectable by the human eye on a 50" device.

Absolute <deleted>.

The resolution of this model is 1365 x 768 (1365 pixels wide and 768 pixels high). HD, or 720p, is 1280 x 720; and Full HD, or 1080p, is 1920 x 1080 - so it will be able to display HD (DVD quality pictures) but not Full HD (which is Blu-Ray quality). You'll definitely notice the difference!

Absolute <deleted>.

A 1080p resolution on a 50" plasma screen is only noticable if you sit closer than 7 feet from the screen and you play a genuine 1080p bluray movie of course using a certified hdmi cable, most people I know sit further from their screen.

Do a google for 720p vs 1080p and you will get plenty research reports which confirm this.

By the way dvd has a maximum resolution of 720 x 480 pixels ,which is far from HD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video

in case you would want deny this also

Edited by pipo1000

A 1080p resolution on a 50" plasma screen is only noticable if you blah blah blah...

So it is noticeable? clap2.gif

By the way dvd has a maximum resolution of 720 x 480 pixels ,which is far from HD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video

in case you would want deny this also

Nope, can't deny this - you are right, I was wrong. wai.gif

Edited by jamesbrock

From CNET.com review section, I consider a very reliable source.

"Whether you're dealing with 1080p/24 or standard 1080p/60, doesn't alter our overall views about 1080p TVs. We still believe that when you're dealing with TVs 50 inches and smaller, the added resolution has only a very minor impact on picture quality. In our tests, we put 720p (or 768p) sets next to 1080p sets, then feed them both the same source material, whether it's 1080i or 1080p, from the highest-quality Blu-ray player. We typically watch both sets for a while, with eyes darting back and forth between the two, looking for differences in the most-detailed sections, such as hair, textures of fabric, and grassy plains. Bottom line: It's almost always very difficult to see any difference--especially from farther than 8 feet away on a 50-inch TV."

CNET

"The main things that will affect whether you can see a difference between a 720p and a 1080p HDTV is the size of the TV and the viewing distance, i.e. the distance you sit at when watching TV. For example, the only way human eyes can discern a difference between a 720p and 1080p 42" TV is if you sit closer than 5 feet from the TV. If you sit farther than 5 feet back, then it is physically impossible for almost all people to see a difference. The distance changes with the size of the TV. For example, for a 50" TV, the viewing distance where you could begin to tell the difference moves back to about 6.5 feet. The general rule of thumb is that it is almost impossible to tell the difference between a 720p and a 1080p TV at closer than 1.5 times the diagonal screen size."

CNET

• Like 2

So what was "the difference between 720P and 1080P is not detectable by the human eye on a 50" device" now becomes, from a very reliable source, "the added resolution has only a very minor impact on picture quality" and "almost always very difficult to see any difference" under a certain distance, and that "you could begin to tell the difference moves back to about 6.5 feet".

I never said the difference was mind-blowingly staggering, I just argued that pipo1000's emphatic statement was <deleted>, as was proven by CNET above. Had he said something along the lines of "The general rule of thumb is that it is almost impossible to tell the difference between a 720p and a 1080p TV at closer than 1.5 times the diagonal screen size." We wouldn't be having this discussion.

Edited by jamesbrock

Make sure you know what a reasonable price is too. Prices are plummeting... E.g. an LG plasma 50 inch 3d TV can cost NEW as little as 17000.

Plasma do not suffer with short lifespan like they used to either.

Imho, plasma is better picture and value, than LCD. LED is pricier but better pic... But they are a LOT pricier.

I bought a Toshiba 42 inch LED The salesman told me that the plasma was the best for viewing sports but for regular programs the LED was the way to go. as the mallmagician says watch the price on the new ones.

have a Panasonic Plasma, still perfect 5 years on.....

Did notice in Classified a 50" plasma For Sale, said was 1 year old 30,000, cost new 135,000........... sounds cheap ?

Mostly depends on its specs. You're going to be able to pick up a bog-standard Series 4 (such as the OP has been offered) for a lot cheaper than, say a Series 8 or 9. If the one in the classifieds is a Series 6 or higher, it's not a bad price; but for it's "new" price, I'd say it'd be a Series 8 or 9; in which case it's a great price. Such a big drop, though, would have me suspicious...

Interesting basic guide. When I was looking to purchase my TV, I did some pretty extensive research, and was pretty much sold on a Plasma for the reasons stated in this guide - I wanted the most cinematic picture possible. This meant nought when I was standing in front of a bank of TV's though as the picture on the LED TV's was far and away better (for my eyes at least) than any LCD or Plasma. Although not a consideration for the purchase, their ultra-slim form factor is very pleasing on the eye.

I wasn't at all fussed about 3D, but I did want a Smart TV - and it turns out that, as I moved up through the ranges (I had decided on Samsung), looking for the Smart features I wanted, all TV's from Series 6 up were 3D. So I didn't really have a choice between 3D or not due to some clever marketing...

Nevertheless, I absolutely love the TV I ended up buying; my lounge room is the perfect size for my screen size, and everyone who has been interested enough for a demonstration can definitely see the difference while watching a Blu-Ray. The Star Wars Saga on Blu-Ray was stunning! (I even almost enjoyed Episodes 1 & 2!) I bought the Toy Story trilogy 3D box set, but other than watching to for ten minutes or so, just to check it out, I haven't used the 3D functionality at all.

Interesting basic guide. When I was looking to purchase my TV, I did some pretty extensive research, and was pretty much sold on a Plasma for the reasons stated in this guide - I wanted the most cinematic picture possible. This meant nought when I was standing in front of a bank of TV's though as the picture on the LED TV's was far and away better (for my eyes at least) than any LCD or Plasma. Although not a consideration for the purchase, their ultra-slim form factor is very pleasing on the eye.

An LED tv is basically an LCD tv,and as we all know from the posted basic guide and own experience is that the picture of an lcd never can compete with that of a plasma,especially in the case of movies.

The only exception are the full array backlit led's but in that case we are talking about the Samsung 9000 series with a price tag starting from 100.000 Baht up.The back lit led's are also thicker than a plasma in the same range.

Edge lit led's are coming down in price very quickly and are these days competetive with plasma and conventional lcd's.

The reason that they look better in the shops is because they have a " Choosen" range of movies that are played on them with the best available equipement connected.

Ignore the previous comment above. LED is NOT LCD... LED is far and away the best picture, but LIKE LCD, they currently don't beat plasma for motion ...

Really?

How about this

47" BORDERLESS™ Design FULL HD 120Hz Edge-lit LED LCD TV

Taken from the LG thailand website

http://www.lg.com/th/tv-audio-video/led-tv/LG-led-tv-47SL90QR.jsp

But I'm sure you know it better than LG.

Bottom line: It's almost always very difficult to see any difference--especially from farther than 8 feet away on a 50-inch TV.
as we all know from the posted basic guide and own experience is that the picture of an lcd never can compete with that of a plasma,especially in the case of movies.
The consensus among A/V enthusiasts generally seems to be that plasma displays still have a slight edge over LCDs in terms of overall picture quality and are capable of delivering a more film-like experience.

Wow, you really like misquoting, don't you! You must be a hoot at parties!

Somehow "almost always very difficult" from certain distances becomes "not detectable", full stop...

And - I like this one - that the consensus of some 'enthusiasts' "generally seems to be that plasma displays still have a slight edge over LCDs" translates to "the picture of an lcd never can compete with that of a plasma"!

Have you thought that, perhaps, the fact that consensus only "generally seems to be" that way, is because everyone's visual acuity differs, and some AV enthusiasts believe the LCD and/or LED produces a better image? You may watch all your TV in darkened surroundings, and you may not "have the best equipment connected", so your own experience gels with what seems to be a general consensus of some enthusiasts - good for you, but that does not make your opinion fact.

As I wrote - for my eyes at least, the picture on the LED TV's was far and away better than any LCD or Plasma on display, but it may have been some deceitful trickery, and they were playing special secret LED optimised video... crazy.gif

Ignore the previous comment above. LED is NOT LCD... LED is far and away the best picture, but LIKE LCD, they currently don't beat plasma for motion ...

Really?

How about this

47" BORDERLESS™ Design FULL HD 120Hz Edge-lit LED LCD TV

Taken from the LG thailand website

http://www.lg.com/th...tv-47SL90QR.jsp

But I'm sure you know it better than LG.

Wow...

Can we ALL agree that TV’s that utilise LCD screens with LED edge lights, are still known - to laymen and technophile alike - as LED TV's? And that they utilise different technology than standard LCD screens, and produce - as is the general consensus - a far better picture than standard LCD TV's?

Good. That's better...

Edited by jamesbrock

Definition of EDGE

d: a favorable margin : advantage <has an edge on the competition>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/edge

So I guess that is sorted out already.

And no they don't play special secret LED optimised video,but take a look at what they are playing. Avatar 3D by any chance?

A movie which was the first that was filmed to be presented in 3D with it's bright colours.

Play the same movie side to side on a 3D plasma and look who's the winner.But that will never happen in a shop,as they are instructed by the manufacturers how to present their products.