Ex-Thai PM Thaksin To Address Rally In Cambodia

webfact

Ex-Thai PM Thaksin to address rally in Cambodia

Bangkok, April 9, 2012 (AFP) - Thailand's fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra will address thousands of "Red Shirt" supporters at a rally this weekend in neighbouring Cambodia, his followers said Monday.

After three days in Laos, Thaksin is due to visit the Cambodian city of Siem Riep to give a speech on Saturday evening at a gathering attended by several leaders of the Red Shirt movement, the organisation said.

"Tens of thousands" of supporters in total are expected to greet Thaksin during his trip to the two countries over the Thai New Year, said Red Shirt spokesman Worawut Vichaidit.

"They will probably travel together and rent buses by themselves," he added.

Mass rallies by Thaksin's supporters in the Thai capital in 2010 descended into the kingdom's worst political violence in decades, with more than 90 people -- mostly civilians -- killed in a military crackdown.

His sister Yingluck Shinawatra became prime minister last year after a resounding election victory by the ousted premier's political allies.

Thaksin, who maintains warm ties with Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen, was toppled by royalist generals in 2006 and lives in Dubai to avoid a two-year prison sentence for corruption that he contends is politically motivated.

Hun Sen said in a speech on Monday that "perhaps more than tens of thousands" of Thaksin supporters would visit to hear the ex-leader who "cannot enter his motherland".

Thaksin remains a much-loved figure for many poor Thais, but he is hated by much of the Bangkok-based elite in military, palace and bureaucratic circles who see him as autocratic and a threat to the monarchy.

The former leader, who frequently visits other Asian countries, has downplayed suggestions that his political allies are seeking to clear the way for his return to Thailand without going to jail.

After his speech, Thaksin is due to travel to the Cambodian capital Phnom Penh on April 16 to play golf with Hun Sen.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-04-09

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Mass rallies by Thaksin's supporters in the Thai capital in 2010 descended into the kingdom's worst political violence in decades, with more than 90 people -- mostly civilians -- killed in a military crackdown"

A frequent ploy by the media, is to ostensibly give a "quick backgrounder" exemplified by above quote, which in fact is always a 'quick bit of historical revision"...............The attempt to separate R'song from its intention, aim and determination to challenge the coup perps and their electoral minority 'power-grab', was the mission. This fact is never mentioned. What caused the worst political violence in decades, was when the coupists resorted to an armed defence of their coup d'etat................ The above statement misinforms through ommission, a person for whom such a 'quick backgrounder' is necessary............In addition, the 90 people killed were not generically 'civilians'. They were those who stood up to the coup supporters, protectors and 'crackdowners'.......Just a "quick backgrounder"

".............perhaps more than tens of thousands" of Thaksin supporters.........."

When the inevitable discussion arises next week, as to how many attended the rally in Cambodia, there will be those who wish to estimate diminished numbers and vice-versa....I suppose one accurate way would be to count busses, assuming they will be parked in a common area. Just multiply them times the average number usually on a bus, and voila, one has numbers that may be accurate, as opposed to being inconvenient for some.

Edited by CalgaryII
  • Like 1

CalgaryII, you have avoided commenting on Thaksin's close relationship with Hun Sen. Is it because Hun Sen's background is so dark that you are unable to weave it into your pro-Thaksin, pro-Pheu Thai and pro-Red Shirt propaganda?

Thaksin is due to travel to the Cambodian capital Phnom Penh on April 16 to play golf with Hun Sen
Edited by hyperdimension
  • Like 1

all these farlangs thinking they know better, it is for the thai people to decide the outcome of there own country, not just a hand full of farlangs that know nothing.

I wonder whether the Red Shirts actually know anything about the history of Cambodia, the Khmer Rouge, Hun Sen's background and how he came to power.

• Like 1

who "cannot enter his motherland".

What!!!!

He can come back to Thailand anytime.angry.png

Of course he can enter Thailand at any time,but more chance of stirring up the Red Shirts,by saying he can't.

I suppose one accurate way would be to count busses, assuming they will be parked in a common area. Just multiply them times the average number usually on a bus, and voila, one has numbers that may be accurate, as opposed to being inconvenient for some.

But how we gonna calculate that?A bus has 50 seats on average,but when I see those buses with Chinese tourist here in Pattaya, I can on average count 7 people and a horse head on each bus.

I suppose one accurate way would be to count busses, assuming they will be parked in a common area. Just multiply them times the average number usually on a bus, and voila, one has numbers that may be accurate, as opposed to being inconvenient for some.

But how we gonna calculate that?A bus has 50 seats on average,but when I see those buses with Chinese tourist here in Pattaya, I can on average count 7 people and a horse head on each bus.

I asked locals how many people to each bus, of the three going from here. They said 53 per bus, so your average of 50 is very close. Counting busses, doesn't factor in vans however. Not sure how many of those would be involved. Anyway, I'll check it out.

Hun Sen, the strongman who has been doing everything possible to stymie court proceedings for his Kmer Rouge buddies. So successfully, that two respected jurists have quit in frustration. What a great team, T and Hun Sen.

Note: instead of 'Ex Prime Minister Thaksin" You can say (probably more accurately); "Ex Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin" ....as that's the last official post he held in Thailand. There's a difference.

Edited by maidu

After his speech, Thaksin is due to travel to the Cambodian capital Phnom Penh on April 16 to play golf with Hun Sen.

It'll be good for the good ol' chums to hit the links together and relax and discuss their despotic ways. It's been a tough time of late and he went off his rocker...

Cambodia PM defends ASEAN tirade

Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen on Monday defended his outburst to the media during a regional summit last week in Phnom Penh, saying his critics treat him 'like a child'.

Hun Sen railed against domestic opponents and "stupid" analysts who misread his country's close ties with regional power China at a news conference following a meeting of leaders of the Association for South-east Asian Nations (ASEAN).

The tirade stunned international media, with a reporter for the Wall Street Journal later writing that Asia's longest-serving premier "seemed to forget" he was speaking as current ASEAN Chair.

Continues:

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/SEAsia/Story/STIStory_786906.html

Straits Times - 1 hour, 51 minutes ago

• Like 1

I asked locals how many people to each bus, of the three going from here. They said 53 per bus, so your average of 50 is very close. Counting busses, doesn't factor in vans however. Not sure how many of those would be involved. Anyway, I'll check it out.

This will be more like counting sheep.........

It'll be good for the good ol' chums to hit the links together and relax and discuss their despotic ways. It's been a tough time of late and he went off his rocker...

Cambodia PM defends ASEAN tirade

Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen on Monday defended his outburst to the media during a regional summit last week in Phnom Penh, saying his critics treat him 'like a child'.

Hun Sen railed against domestic opponents and "stupid" analysts who misread his country's close ties with regional power China at a news conference following a meeting of leaders of the Association for South-east Asian Nations (ASEAN).

The tirade stunned international media, with a reporter for the Wall Street Journal later writing that Asia's longest-serving premier "seemed to forget" he was speaking as current ASEAN Chair.

Continues:

http://www.straitsti...ory_786906.html

Straits Times - 1 hour, 51 minutes ago

Hun Sen and Thaksin do seem to be like two peas in a pod, which is a worry.

Do we know where this rally will take place - exactly ?

The Phnom Penh Post says the "swarm" of Red Shirts will be on about 15 hectares of land at Angkor Kjong Yu, near the Apsara Authority building in Slo Kram commune’s Banteay Chas village.

Siem Reap provincial hall official Ly Samreth said authorities are trying to collect the garbage and find unexploded ordnance in that area as well prior to the Red Shirts arrival.

The article didn't say whether or not the Red Shirt rank and file have been informed their camp area has mines in it.

all these farlangs thinking they know better, it is for the thai people to decide the outcome of there own country, not just a hand full of farlangs that know nothing.

Technically I agree with you! but the reality of your words are somewhat different.

I bet Calgaryll is getting all excited like a kid going to his first music festival.....!

Let us hope he does not turn out to be another Farang,seeking his 15 minutes of Fame.

There's still time to procure one of these to bring:

anpss14-animated.gif

AN/PSS-14 (formerly HSTAMIDS: Handheld Standoff Mine Detection System)

It probably would be beneficial for attendees to bring their own

• Like 1

I wonder whether the Red Shirts actually know anything about the history of Cambodia, the Khmer Rouge, Hun Sen's background and how he came to power.

hardly any Thais know what happened in Cambodia. None of my wifes university educated friends and none of her family or others who are a part of very poor, none of thais I know or any of the forang I know wives or their friends . Its truly amazing that the mass genicide that happened just over border is totally unknown im sure to 99% of thais. Its a perfect example of their blinkered view. We had a business in BKK and workers around did not even know what business 2-3 doors down did even though they worked there fro many years. SImply ask a Thai for directions to a place a 5 minutes away most dont know. I put it down to education system which totally suppresses any questioning or thought . That and ridiculous obsession with never loosing face. Maybe next generation will be better I certainly hope so for my families sake.

• Like 2