Word Of Warning

fiddlehead

Warning folks: I checked my banking today and saw that in the last 2 days, there was a total of 8 withdrawals of $237.60 each on my American bank's debit card.

I immediately called and cancelled and put in a claim.

They told me it was already under suspicion and had locked my card.

They said it was from Kazan in Russia. (ATM that they used)

I haven't used my debit card in 2 months!

So, of course I can't figure out how they got my number and pin.

If they had a scanner inserted in the last ATM i used it in, why did they wait so long?

Anyway, it might be a good idea to check your bank balances.

I used the K-bank ATM at the 7-11 near the light at Sai Yuan/Vichit road in Rawai. (in Feb.)

Hopefully this will get straightened out soon enough and my money is back in my account.

This is quite scary.

Some of the other people I've seen on YouTube and on here were victims of clever skimmers who managed to distract them and get hold of their card for a short period of time.

You're saying that this isn't the case with you? I suspect you're the same as most of us. Reasonably careful etc.

Have you used this card online? Do you pay bills in (say) a restaurant with it? Or do you only use if for ATM withdrawals?

I only use my Thai ATM card for ATM withdrawls, and i check the machine pretty carefully and use the mirrors on the machine to make sure no one is looking over my shoulder. Much more than that, I can't really do. Changing my account to being able to withdraw in person only is not viable as i work during banking hours.

Never use 7/11 atms or stand alone ones poking out of shops.

I only use bank atms and always the same two locations. One in Phuket town far from the tourist centre and another in Thalang.

These scams are aimed at tourists so just don't withdraw in a tourist area.

I only use bank atms and always the same two locations. One in Phuket town far from the tourist centre and another in Thalang.

What scams? Maybe better wait a bit till we, and I presume that includes the OP, know what happened.

7/11 ATM's are perfectly ok BTW. Just don't forget your card, because they won't be able to help you.

We usually go to the bank once a month and get the money direct over the counter

On the odd occasions i use a ATM card i use a bank ATM at a secure location

Never at a 7/11 to easy for someone to attach a card reader

It's all about risk awareness and common sense. Which is why i said the OP is scary !

For me, getting a months worth of money in cash is more of a risk than getting a couple of grand out of the ATM here and there.

• Like 1

I know and use the same ATM, which is not actually at 7/11, but is a standalone machine located next door. Thanks for the heads up fiddlehead. On a side note, last week in Kata next to Kata Sun my friend was suspicious of a scanner next to the mini mart and didn't use it. Coincidentally, he's Russian.

It's all about risk awareness and common sense. Which is why i said the OP is scary !

For me, getting a months worth of money in cash is more of a risk than getting a couple of grand out of the ATM here and there.

Not if you have your own home with walls around and gates and safes

Where we live i do not know anyone who has had there house broken

into and our safes are securely fixed to the building and cannot be moved

I can't find out more until I call the prevention center of my bank and they don't open until 8 PM tonight our time.

I always check for skimmers (try to pull apart the part where you put your card)

And I always hide my punching in of my PIN number.

I only ever use this card for cash withdrawals and never have used it a restaurant or shop.

I have NEVER told anyone else the pin number.

So yes, it is scary.

I will get a new card and pin.

I will probably not use that ATM again and use the one in front of the bank from now on.

Just hoping they are not going to make me pay any of the money that was taken out.

Thanks everyone for the advice and all.

For peace of mind I now have a Bangkok Bank Visa Debit Smart Card .

These are the ones with the "chip" and to quote Bangkok Bank......

"Whilst traditional cards with a magnetic stripe can only store data, the Be1st Smart card uses a highly-secure and innovative EMV microchip containing both data and security software to make your card nearly impossible to copy and keep your money safe.."

smile.png

Sanuk

Edited by sanuk21

I can't find out more until I call the prevention center of my bank and they don't open until 8 PM tonight our time.

I always check for skimmers (try to pull apart the part where you put your card)

And I always hide my punching in of my PIN number.

I only ever use this card for cash withdrawals and never have used it a restaurant or shop.

I have NEVER told anyone else the pin number.

So yes, it is scary.

I will get a new card and pin.

I will probably not use that ATM again and use the one in front of the bank from now on.

Just hoping they are not going to make me pay any of the money that was taken out.

Thanks everyone for the advice and all.

I presume also no one helping you at an ATM?

Edited by stevenl

Hmm..just saw this and thought id mention something that happend to me recently.

I tried to use my HSBC card a couple of weeks ago, and the ATM spat it out. I called up HSBC and was told the card was "flagged" as copied and that they had cancelled the card and are sending me out a new one.

Had not used my card in weeks. No suspicious withdrawals (so im lucky in that respect), but wondered how the hell anyone could copy it because i rarely use it. If i use it, it is only ever use at a Kbank ATM (attached to the bank where i hold a Kbank account). Never ever for purchases. Only for emergency ATM cash. The rest of the time its in a lock drawer in my apartment.

No idea if relevant to mention that...but thought i would. Struck me as strange how anyone could copy it thats all. Random generated numbers...????

Edit: Im in Chiang Mai

Edited by eek

Once the first withdraw was attempted in Russia, wouldn't your atm card be locked/flagged? My foreign atm card is only allowed to be used in Thailand. So if someone did actually skim it and use it in a different country, it would get blocked immediately.

for a holidayer this may not be possible.

living here i have 2 accounts with one account having only an ATM card. i am able to go online with online banking which i believe most thai banks have and can tranfer money when needed to the account with the ATM card. The ATM account i keep very small funds in it or the amount i will be needing with in a day. so if i my ATM card is breached i will only loose a small amount.

do not access your accounts from internet shops or other computers. also my online banking will work from my phone as well.