Thai Relatives

woody087

Sitting at home in chaibadarn having a few cold jimmy's with my 6 month old.getting a good conversation going.All of a sudden door swings open and in come about a dozen people closely followed by my wife."honey these family ,they stay few days ok".Should i be pissed off or am i overreacting

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you let this go any further get a firm answer to the question how long are they staying? And follow that with equally firm questioning to confirm that when they leave they ALL leave.

Once these points have been agreed make note to march out of the house clutching a wad of money in the direction of your nearest beer bars if the relatives overstay by more than thirty minutes.

• Like 2

Before you let this go any further get a firm answer to the question how long are they staying? And follow that with equally firm questioning to confirm that when they leave they ALL leave.

Once these points have been agreed make note to march out of the house clutching a wad of money in the direction of your nearest beer bars if the relatives overstay by more than thirty minutes.

stuff the overstay,good excuse to go the bars now
  • Like 1

Welcome to Thailand!

Let them help themselves but keep your bourbon hidden cause it is all fair game. They will leave when they feel like it. The more generous you are the longer they will stay!

Edited by maprao
  • Like 1

stop being so tight...get your bourbon out and have a party, share and share alike....be as welcoming as they would be if it were you just turning up on their door...heck even offer them your bed...

and whilst you are at it whats your husband say on the matter?

Indeed. Lock away your best booze and food, tell the wife you'll be back when they've gone and head to the hills (bars).

Frankly I'd be asking why your wife doesn't have enough respect for you as to ask you/tell you beforehand.

I'd guess you've been invaded for the duration...

Good luck. If I were you I'd have turfed the lot out already.

Yes you should be pissed off,as I would be,

Thais have to realise.we westerners also have a culture,

which does not always welcome unannounced guests without prior arrangement,

<deleted> isn't it obvious its B****y rude to say the least.

Is that so hard to understand???

Edited by MAJIC

If you don't kick them out, should at least do what you want, go to the bar, come home drunk, be an obnoxious farang, embarrass the wife, make the guests feel uncomfortable, etc, etc. Bottom line you make it clear to all that you are not ok with this. Then be ready to deal with the wife after they leave.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Get on your bike and start peddling as fast as you can, I am sure there will be a welcome for you in the local hospitality establishment.

Tell the wife she have the Thai style party, you are off for a farang party.

Go back when they have gone.

Have you ever met any of them before?

Once my spouse yoga friends and shopping companions (all thais) decided to drop by my apartment (both my spouse and me arent thai btw). attractive young ladies but hella of a crude people imo. They are really LOUD in their conversations, really annoying, kind of reminds me of barking poodle next door.

My biggest regret was actually to be friendly and prepare some snacks and food for them. God dam, those are barbarians in the making, making a hell out of a place. My computer mouse now smells like tomato ketchup and i actually found boogers around my computer desk.

How ever you handle the situation will set the precedent for next time it happens ... and it will happen, Thais being all open family and the like.

Don't be surprised that you are hit up for a 'loan' to help them travel back from whence the emanated from.

If you do leave your home, you do lose a portion of control over the situation.

But I would advise that you do go and hid the 'good stuff' and the 'cash stash' ... just in case.

Come back in a few days to here and let us know what happened ... drunk.gif

I don't think you should be giving your six month old cold jimmys, regarless of how good his conversation is.

As to the invasion, this is what Thai's do.

Retire to your secure area (you do have one I hope?) and wait it out, or evacuate after securing all valuables including trinkets, gadgets, tools and booze..

Edited by necronx99

This is what I do. They arrive, I sawadee to them, big smile, unplug my ipad, go to the bedroom, turn on the air and live life. Oh, and plug in the headset.

As to relatives staying a few days, put your foot down and say NO! OP, you are the man of the house, right?

Yes, just realised that he started this thread yesterday at 21:32, then at 07:14 today, 10 hours later claims to have just got back from 2 days away

Just got back from a few days away and walked in on my wife in bed making out with her brother.she jumps up and tells me no problem,everything ok,this what we do Thailand.was just wondering should I keep giving her money for her sick buffalo

So just a troll

Quite a number of negative comments here. Thais do visit each othet, family bonds are very strong. If uou don't like it, why do you liv here, I wonder.

Indeed, but the courtesy of being asked or informed of the impending visit would have been nice.

Well, his wife knew about it and I think she is house owner and can invite her relatives if she want. However I would do the bar beer trip, as suggested by others.

If you have locks, lock all rooms' doors that you don't want them to have access to.

It really bugs me when they go snooping around rooms uninvited

Many years ago I was listening to the Goon Show on the radio. Neddy was joining the army and when it came to the Regimental oath he was instructed , Open your wallet and say after me , HELP YOURSELF>

Yes, just realised that he started this thread yesterday at 21:32, then at 07:14 today, 10 hours later claims to have just got back from 2 days away
Just got back from a few days away and walked in on my wife in bed making out with her brother.she jumps up and tells me no problem,everything ok,this what we do Thailand.was just wondering should I keep giving her money for her sick buffalo

So just a troll

yep just a troll

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Quite a number of negative comments here. Thais do visit each othet, family bonds are very strong. If uou don't like it, why do you liv here, I wonder.

Indeed, but the courtesy of being asked or informed of the impending visit would have been nice.

Yes, as Westerners we would appreciate it. But this is not a Western country.