Scb Easy Mastercard

I'm curious about this card that's being offered by Siam Commercial Bank. It's a debit card, but looks like a real Mastercard, none of that Cirrus/Maestro crap. The clerk I asked about it said that it can be used to pay online...does anyone have any experience with this particular card?

I basically want to set up a savings account there and use this card to pay online for stuff...I'm a student here in ABAC, so that means a long-term visa but no work permit privileges.

Thanks in advance for any help :o

I dont have this card but i think its a mastercard debit card. The funds are deducted from your account straight away. The card is accepted everywhere the mastercard credit card is.

You can use these cards online, but i would discourage anyone from doing so. You are not afforded the same fraud protection as with a normal credit card.

Some useful info on debit cards here:

http://www.practicalmoneyskills.com/englis...utor/primer.php

Edited by tom yum goong

Thanks for the info...while not offering the same kind of protection, I think it would be good enough for what I mainly need it for, which is to book airline tickets or hotels (through the companies themselves, not dubious online travel agencies). I'm not sure if they would also give it for this card, but SCB even has support for "Securecode", MC's equivalent to Verified by Visa. Wouldn't that help with any kind of security issues?

I dont have this card but i think its a mastercard debit card. The funds are deducted from your account straight away. The card is accepted everywhere the mastercard credit card is.

You can use these cards online, but i would discourage anyone from doing so. You are not afforded the same fraud protection as with a normal credit card.

Some useful info on debit cards here:

http://www.practicalmoneyskills.com/englis...utor/primer.php

SCB's standard ATM card doubles as a MasterCard debit card. I've had one for years. It can be used to charge purchases in Thailand but I've never been able to use it online as the expiry date is longer than what's generally accepted for online purchases (my current SCB/MasterCard ATM/debit card expires in 2015, for example). Anyone with an SCB savings account can get one of these.

######...so, because of the expiry date it's as useless as a VISA Electron for such purposes? Have you guys tried using it to buy things or also for bookings & such?

sabaijai, do you mean that the expiry date is bad as it is, or that most web forms would not let you input 2015 (i.e. offering a list only going up to 2007 or so?)

sabaijai, do you mean that the expiry date is bad as it is, or that most web forms would not let you input 2015 (i.e. offering a  list only going up to 2007 or so?)

Exactly, no transaction service I've attempted online allowed dates beyond 2010, a few up to 2012.