Why The Big Forum Obsession With Thai-Chinese Tail?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok coming from a expat who's married to a Thai-Chinese woman from a decent family;

What I can't understand is some westerners obsession with other westerners who are with Thai Chinese women who come from a decent back ground. They always come off sounding like spiteful crabs, jealous and mocking. Almost as if to say, "I rescued some splay toed Essan hooker from the bar and a broken family, why didn't you?!?"

Guys, really, stop riding us, we don't care who you marry here, why do you care about us?

I think you are all missing the point.  The OP asked why you told people about it not why Thai Chinese women are so much better than Thai women.  The answer of course is, that the men who care what other people think of their wife or wives are very insecure.  The same genre as the illiterate kids on here who find it offensive that old men have beautiful women.  Insecurity.  Unless you are making a point about Thai Chinese women being less expensive than Thai women to keep.  I can see that.  Or being good cooks.  But why would you mention her ethnic background.  Or to insult someone mention her toes?  One of the above posters said something about splayed toes.  Now that is weird.    My wife is a good cook and has a tight *****.  Now those are qualities that would endear a women to most men.  Or my wife does not nag me.  Or my wife smells good.  Who cares where she is from or what shade of brown she is?  More importantly why would you think I/we care?

I am guilty a bit of what you mention, although I did it to illustrate a point about many (not all) people.

I agree with some of what you said, but I don't think you can pin it all on some insecurity.  Some of us just live by different standards and motivations, that's all.  I'd be prouder to own a Lamborghini than to own a Honda City.  I'd be prouder of a woman who owns a successful national business than one who works in a massage parlor.  I'd be more interested and proud of a women who forsakes cooking for me (which would be a selfish want of mine) to attain higher levels of learning and career success.  I'm more interested in a women who has ambition and class.  I'll likely fair better in my own success being tied to a woman (and she to me) if our families are of some importance within the society we've chosen to live in.  Like that.  Some guys are happy with a tight a** and someone cooking for them, and that is perfectly respectable.  But, some guys are onto higher order things in the world which is also perfectly respectable.  But, if you ask our side to argue against your side, these are the kinds of arguments we'll make.  

Just differing values.  Not sure what the other poster (the one you were addressing) thinks, but that's how I see it.  It's like, ... do what you want to for your own happiness, and I'll respect your choices and any decent human being would, but I'll draw a line if you start trying to compare your bargirl to my wife.  NOT YOU KERRYK! smile.png

NOT all people are created equally, and, even if they are, they dam_n sure don't stay that way.

I would never compare your wife to a bar girl. Not me. Rudyard Kipling might but not me. Then I was ordered to Burma,Actin' in charge o' Bazar,An' I got me a tiddy live 'eathenThrough buyin' supplies off 'er pa.Funny an' yellow an' faithful --Doll in a teacup she were,But we lived on the square, like a true-married pair,An' I learned about women from 'er!What did the Colonel's Lady think?Nobody never knew.Somebody asked the Sergeant's wife, ~An'~ she told 'em true!When you get to a man in the case,They're like as a row of pins --For the Colonel's Lady an' Judy O'GradyAre sisters under their skins!

Anyway, I take back some of what I said. Who the h3ll cares? If a man and his partner are happy, that is what matters. That's it. Some are happy working and toiling away; others are happy cumming and eating. All good things.

And, to the poster above, I'm sure many bar girls can make excellent wives especially depending upon what a man fancies.

The stereotypes do exist here, and they help answer the OP's question, and I'm sure the perceptions around the stereotypes are why many people bring this topic up.

Edited by xthAi76s

Obviously, if you're married to a Thai-Chinese Hi-So, everyone else should bow to you with their foreheads two inches into the mud. The multitude of farang husbands of the ruling class wondering around TVF are just being friendly by pointing out their high position via a post, instead of just simply letting the triads cut your head off for disrespect. How nice of them.

KerryK - am not insecure in the slightest. I learned not to be when I was in the S.A.S. before hooking up with my very rich, well educated Hiso Sino-Thai wife. And I was a Concorde pilot.

Sorry. I`m in one of those moods today.

I have days like that too - my therapist usually recommends doubling the regular dosage

It's simply an easy way to make a distinction in Thailand. The Thais of Chinese decent, many would argue, are what have made Thailand half-way decent. They most certainly (even in their relatively small population in Thailand) have racked up the most success and it's quite obvious from the top all way down. Look at the best businesses, the best schools, the most prestigious families, they are overwhelmingly Chinese descent. Thai-Chinese women from decent families usually live a Thai life which is an existence away from your typically more brown, real Thai. They're quite different. Many have been educated abroad in quite good schools in the US, Europe and UK and are realistically far more affluent (financially and culturally) than many Farang here in Thailand. They also go to some lengths to remind many of that. Don't dare confuse them with the average Thais. Here's a list of common THAI stereotypes:

1. Thai-Chinese has prettier, fairer skin and better looks than brown Thai

2. Thai-Chinese has more wealth

3. Thai-Chinese has more power

4. Thai-Chinese has more education

5. Thai-Chinese has more status

ect...

So, generally speaking, Thai-Chinese women (and men) are much more highly regard in Thailand by Thais. Being with a Thai-Chinese girl from a decent or well-established family can be used to say to the guys who marry bar girls in Issan, 'hey, I'm better than you and here's some proof.'

It's also a way to say, 'see, look at you. Despite your White skin privilege and relative 'wealth' to the majority of Thais, you are still a bum to many quite wealthy and travelled (Thais or) Thai-Chinese here who aren't the slightest interested in you or your life. Thusly, you got the bottom of the barrel so-to-speak of the very much poorly regarded, crusty, sunburnt, illiterate, ambition-less, dirty-feet country girls.' A truly accomplished man, be he Farang White or other will be able to pull a respectable woman in any country.

Of course, there are plenty of girls in between these stereotypes, but in Thailand this easy system serves as an easy way to separate oneself from the vast majority of far-from-impressive Western men who have been rolling up on these shores for decades.

Having a Thai-Chinese wife who is from a successful family is like owning a real luxury car, making tons of money, being good looking and intelligent. In other words, it's a way for people to know (generally) that I am quite different from you, so Farang buddy, don't invite us over for drinks with your questionable girl friend or wife. We are nothing like you. I speak Thai fluently as a second (or third) language. My wife speaks English fluently as a second (or third) language. She's Ivy League educated as am I with advanced degrees. Etc etc. We are nothing like you and have no interests in pretending that we are, so thanks but no thanks.

Thats a shame, guess I won't be asking you and your wife round to help with making a good "British" Chinese curry.

But thats OK, a friend once told me that 97% of the higher educated could tell you off the tops of their heads the cubic capacity of the jar that containd the curry paste, but only 3% of them could get the lid off the jar. So probably wouldn't be much help anyway.

We all live in our own little worlds over here, and mostly enjoy it!

(I am only joking with you by the way.)

while we may both have thai wives 20 years younger than ourselfves ,they most certaintly are NOT cut from the same cloth

my wife comes from an exotic hi -society region of thai chinese origin and she is fantastically well educated ,successful and wealthy and her family are also immensely wealthy and powerful +she was a virgin when we got married

your wife is the illigitmate daughter of a peasant in an esarn village ,she has no education ,no skills bar sucking and swallowing and scamming customers at the pattaya bar where you found her

i dont want to sound judgemental but some of us like differnt things from our women ......... whistling.gif

cheesy.gif

Edited by wana
  • Like 2

Ok coming from a expat who's married to a Thai-Chinese woman from a decent family;

What I can't understand is some westerners obsession with other westerners who are with Thai Chinese women who come from a decent back ground. They always come off sounding like spiteful crabs, jealous and mocking. Almost as if to say, "I rescued some splay toed Essan hooker from the bar and a broken family, why didn't you?!?"

Guys, really, stop riding us, we don't care who you marry here, why do you care about us?

I think you are all missing the point. The OP asked why you told people about it not why Thai Chinese women are so much better than Thai women. The answer of course is, that the men who care what other people think of their wife or wives are very insecure. The same genre as the illiterate kids on here who find it offensive that old men have beautiful women. Insecurity. Unless you are making a point about Thai Chinese women being less expensive than Thai women to keep. I can see that. Or being good cooks. But why would you mention her ethnic background. Or to insult someone mention her toes? One of the above posters said something about splayed toes. Now that is weird. My wife is a good cook and has a tight *****. Now those are qualities that would endear a women to most men. Or my wife does not nag me. Or my wife smells good. Who cares where she is from or what shade of brown she is? More importantly why would you think I/we care?

And what is it that leads men to get women much younger than them based entirely on their looks and age instead of a independent succesful woman their own age ? Insecurity ?

I think you are all missing the point. The OP asked why you told people about it not why Thai Chinese women are so much better than Thai women. The answer of course is, that the men who care what other people think of their wife or wives are very insecure. The same genre as the illiterate kids on here who find it offensive that old men have beautiful women. Insecurity. Unless you are making a point about Thai Chinese women being less expensive than Thai women to keep. I can see that. Or being good cooks. But why would you mention her ethnic background. Or to insult someone mention her toes? One of the above posters said something about splayed toes. Now that is weird. My wife is a good cook and has a tight *****. Now those are qualities that would endear a women to most men. Or my wife does not nag me. Or my wife smells good. Who cares where she is from or what shade of brown she is? More importantly why would you think I/we care?

I am guilty a bit of what you mention, although I did it to illustrate a point about many (not all) people.

I agree with some of what you said, but I don't think you can pin it all on some insecurity. Some of us just live by different standards and motivations, that's all. I'd be prouder to own a Lamborghini than to own a Honda City. I'd be prouder of a woman who owns a successful national business than one who works in a massage parlor. I'd be more interested and proud of a women who forsakes cooking for me (which would be a selfish want of mine) to attain higher levels of learning and career success. I'm more interested in a women who has ambition and class. I'll likely fair better in my own success being tied to a woman (and she to me) if our families are of some importance within the society we've chosen to live in. Like that. Some guys are happy with a tight a** and someone cooking for them, and that is perfectly respectable. But, some guys are onto higher order things in the world which is also perfectly respectable. But, if you ask our side to argue against your side, these are the kinds of arguments we'll make.

Just differing values. Not sure what the other poster (the one you were addressing) thinks, but that's how I see it. It's like, ... do what you want to for your own happiness, and I'll respect your choices and any decent human being would, but I'll draw a line if you start trying to compare your bargirl to my wife. NOT YOU KERRYK! smile.png

NOT all people are created equally, and, even if they are, they dam_n sure don't stay that way.

And your profile says you live in a place called BRUSSELLS - where is that?

I think you are all missing the point.  The OP asked why you told people about it not why Thai Chinese women are so much better than Thai women.  The answer of course is, that the men who care what other people think of their wife or wives are very insecure.  The same genre as the illiterate kids on here who find it offensive that old men have beautiful women.  Insecurity.  Unless you are making a point about Thai Chinese women being less expensive than Thai women to keep.  I can see that.  Or being good cooks.  But why would you mention her ethnic background.  Or to insult someone mention her toes?  One of the above posters said something about splayed toes.  Now that is weird.    My wife is a good cook and has a tight *****.  Now those are qualities that would endear a women to most men.  Or my wife does not nag me.  Or my wife smells good.  Who cares where she is from or what shade of brown she is?  More importantly why would you think I/we care?

And what is it that leads men to get women much younger than them based entirely on their looks and age instead of a independent succesful woman their own age ?  Insecurity ?

You are a funny guy. Lets take a friend of mine Ian for example. I would use myself but GH told me TV is a nest of Vipers. Ian is 70 years old. Have you ever been intimate with a 70 year old woman? Just asking here. Why would you assume that a man chooses a young woman based entirely on looks? Not I. The first thing I check is her ethnicity. I ask for her relatives going back at least 200 years. After checking her identity I give her a quick IQ test, coordination tests, blood tests, smear (of course). Then we get to the important stuff, pole dancing and of course smiling in mirrors while dancing. Then I check her language skills. If she speaks, German, English or Japanese she is an auto out. Seriously though, if you were correct there would be nothing but beautiful women working in Pattaya and as anyone can tell you 90% of the female employees in Pattaya are anything but beautiful. So I think it is time for you to go back to the drawing board.

• Like 1

I would have thought it was simply because when people discuss their wives on this forum they may fear that others may perceive that 'they married a bar girl' and they may not want the prevailing notion to be that is what they did if they didn't so they go out of their way to mention 'Chinese-Thai' as a nod to 'my g/f isn't or wasn't a hooker'.

Granted not all darker skinned girls are hookers or want your money and not all fair skinned girls are innocent virgins but I always perceived the mentions of wives origins as letting others know they haven't married a hooker.

I am not married to a Thai but if I was and they weren't a former bar girl I may wonder if everyone thought my wife used to be a bar girl as it seems it's quite common

• Like 2

It's simply an easy way to make a distinction in Thailand. The Thais of Chinese decent, many would argue, are what have made Thailand half-way decent. They most certainly (even in their relatively small population in Thailand) have racked up the most success and it's quite obvious from the top all way down. Look at the best businesses, the best schools, the most prestigious families, they are overwhelmingly Chinese descent. Thai-Chinese women from decent families usually live a Thai life which is an existence away from your typically more brown, real Thai. They're quite different. Many have been educated abroad in quite good schools in the US, Europe and UK and are realistically far more affluent (financially and culturally) than many Farang here in Thailand. They also go to some lengths to remind many of that. Don't dare confuse them with the average Thais. Here's a list of common THAI stereotypes:

1. Thai-Chinese has prettier, fairer skin and better looks than brown Thai

2. Thai-Chinese has more wealth

3. Thai-Chinese has more power

4. Thai-Chinese has more education

5. Thai-Chinese has more status

ect...

So, generally speaking, Thai-Chinese women (and men) are much more highly regard in Thailand by Thais. Being with a Thai-Chinese girl from a decent or well-established family can be used to say to the guys who marry bar girls in Issan, 'hey, I'm better than you and here's some proof.'

It's also a way to say, 'see, look at you. Despite your White skin privilege and relative 'wealth' to the majority of Thais, you are still a bum to many quite wealthy and travelled (Thais or) Thai-Chinese here who aren't the slightest interested in you or your life. Thusly, you got the bottom of the barrel so-to-speak of the very much poorly regarded, crusty, sunburnt, illiterate, ambition-less, dirty-feet country girls.' A truly accomplished man, be he Farang White or other will be able to pull a respectable woman in any country.

Of course, there are plenty of girls in between these stereotypes, but in Thailand this easy system serves as an easy way to separate oneself from the vast majority of far-from-impressive Western men who have been rolling up on these shores for decades.

Having a Thai-Chinese wife who is from a successful family is like owning a real luxury car, making tons of money, being good looking and intelligent. In other words, it's a way for people to know (generally) that I am quite different from you, so Farang buddy, don't invite us over for drinks with your questionable girl friend or wife. We are nothing like you. I speak Thai fluently as a second (or third) language. My wife speaks English fluently as a second (or third) language. She's Ivy League educated as am I with advanced degrees. Etc etc. We are nothing like you and have no interests in pretending that we are, so thanks but no thanks.

Thats a shame, guess I won't be asking you and your wife round to help with making a good "British" Chinese curry.

But thats OK, a friend once told me that 97% of the higher educated could tell you off the tops of their heads the cubic capacity of the jar that containd the curry paste, but only 3% of them could get the lid off the jar. So probably wouldn't be much help anyway.

We all live in our own little worlds over here, and mostly enjoy it!

(I am only joking with you by the way.)

I know. Actually, though, that post was just to illustrate the point and to attempt to make a guess at why some people use this topic to create division and distinction. I am actually quite down to earth and know that there is something to be learned from just about everyone on this planet. I do, however, draw some lines sometimes but the decision making process is not based solely on appearances or where a person hails from. Would I tend to hang out with the kind of guys that marry obviously former prostitues? Probably not, but perhaps that is my bias showing through a bit.

smile.png

Edited by xthAi76s

I agree with some of what you said, but I don't think you can pin it all on some insecurity. Some of us just live by different standards and motivations, that's all. I'd be prouder to own a Lamborghini than to own a Honda City. I'd be prouder of a woman who owns a successful national business than one who works in a massage parlor. I'd be more interested and proud of a women who forsakes cooking for me (which would be a selfish want of mine) to attain higher levels of learning and career success. I'm more interested in a women who has ambition and class. I'll likely fair better in my own success being tied to a woman (and she to me) if our families are of some importance within the society we've chosen to live in. Like that. Some guys are happy with a tight a** and someone cooking for them, and that is perfectly respectable. But, some guys are onto higher order things in the world which is also perfectly respectable. But, if you ask our side to argue against your side, these are the kinds of arguments we'll make.

Just differing values. Not sure what the other poster (the one you were addressing) thinks, but that's how I see it. It's like, ... do what you want to for your own happiness, and I'll respect your choices and any decent human being would, but I'll draw a line if you start trying to compare your bargirl to my wife. NOT YOU KERRYK! smile.png

And your profile says you live in a place called BRUSSELLS - where is that?

It's where they grow brussell sprouts, of course.

And what is it that leads men to get women much younger than them based entirely on their looks and age instead of a independent succesful woman their own age ? Insecurity ?

You are a funny guy. Lets take a friend of mine Ian for example. I would use myself but GH told me TV is a nest of Vipers. Ian is 70 years old. Have you ever been intimate with a 70 year old woman? Just asking here. Why would you assume that a man chooses a young woman based entirely on looks? Not I. The first thing I check is her ethnicity. I ask for her relatives going back at least 200 years. After checking her identity I give her a quick IQ test, coordination tests, blood tests, smear (of course). Then we get to the important stuff, pole dancing and of course smiling in mirrors while dancing. Then I check her language skills. If she speaks, German, English or Japanese she is an auto out. Seriously though, if you were correct there would be nothing but beautiful women working in Pattaya and as anyone can tell you 90% of the female employees in Pattaya are anything but beautiful. So I think it is time for you to go back to the drawing board.

biggrin.png

See we can all accuse other people of being this or that without knowing the real reasons behind it.

And no to the seventy year old woman.

Edit:spelling.

Edited by arthurwait

Most Thai-Chinese I meet cant speak Chinese, have never been to China, do not hold a Chinese passport and there claim to being Chinese is their great great grandfather was Chinese. How is this being Chinese? The answer of it's my BLOOD is ridiculous - do Chinese have a different blood to the rest of the world?

When does a nationality in ones heritage become obselete? My son is half English half Thai, but if all of his decendants were to marry Thai, would they all say they are English? Even in 2,000,0000 years time?

If a Thai-Chinese considers it important enough to let you know, it's because s/he takes price in that background, perhaps thinks it sets them above the "native" Thais. That has rubbed off on those farang that associate with them.

Most of the ones I know are between 3 and 5 generations new, and all of them maintain language, religous and cultural aspects of their cultural identity in addition to their very well acculturated and more public Thai identity.

It is true since they are on average wealthier that they are less likely to have a background in the sex industry. However all the little knocking shops in the back alleys of Yaowarat ("Texas" of course just like in Korea - from "best little whorehouse in?") are staffed by usually more recent immigrants.

I agree that it's very silly trying to use any code word for "my partner isn't a sex worker", as many here just find that impossible to believe anyway. And personally I find that information even if true, completely irrelevant to any discussion of cross-cultural difficulties.

• Like 1

I would have thought it was simply because when people discuss their wives on this forum they may fear that others may perceive that 'they married a bar girl' and they may not want the prevailing notion to be that is what they did if they didn't so they go out of their way to mention 'Chinese-Thai' as a nod to 'my g/f isn't or wasn't a hooker'.

Granted not all darker skinned girls are hookers or want your money and not all fair skinned girls are innocent virgins but I always perceived the mentions of wives origins as letting others know they haven't married a hooker.

I am not married to a Thai but if I was and they weren't a former bar girl I may wonder if everyone thought my wife used to be a bar girl as it seems it's quite common

Nice post.

I suppose managing the perceptions of one's peers - even if you've never met them - is really important for those who measure themselves by life's more superficial benchmarks.

Nice post.

I suppose managing the perceptions of one's peers - even if you've never met them - is really important for those who measure themselves by life's more superficial benchmarks.

Yes, but, and for some of us who are forced into caring about this type of thing. It's one thing to know that this ridiculous superficiality is not in and of itself important, but it's another thing to know that image is indeed an important part of the game -- esp in these 3rd world countries where people are far more likely to judge a person at FACE value at least initially (and then even throughout much of a relationship). Indeed, many here in Thailand and similar as of yet developed countries know not how to judge to 'properly' judge a person (at least not in a way many of us Westerners would consider proper).

These things are as important here as they were in Europe and America a hundred - a couple hundred years ago. Sucks, but it's true. Who I marry can open/close doors for me here -- despite my own family history and background/accomplishments.

No mate, that's Brussels sprouts named after the Belgian city; looks like your Ivy League education came up short if you can't spell where you live with your HiSo wife

OK, you got me. Sorry.

Note:

I thought about playing the game with you, but I anticipated that it wouldn't be much fun since we both know more-or-less how it's going to go.

You bait me. I rip you. You come back. Perhaps another guy joins in on either side. The mod comes in and deletes our stupid posts and issues us warnings. One or two 'responsible' posters make posts about getting back onto the topic. You and I get a bit upset that we typed these long-winded, silly posts that are now deleted and realize that we are powerless to get them back, and because we have no real interest in actually arguing our points with each other, rather than sending personal messages to each other, we instead just give up, more interested in selfishly feeding our individual boredom, ignoring each other for the rest of the day, and we get back to posting random, often silly things on an anonymous board.

Nice post.

Who I marry can open/close doors for me here -- despite my own family history and background/accomplishments.

Yeah . . . . but not on Thaivisa

Nice post.

Who I marry can open/close doors for me here -- despite my own family history and background/accomplishments.

Yeah . . . . but not on Thaivisa

LOL! Right! Can't deny that at all.

What I find bizarre is why members would boast about it? Is it not reverse gold digging? I would be far more impressed with people standing on their own two feet and creating companies and businesses which are a compliment to their own ability.

Sort of reminds me of the pissing contest of ex-bargirls about who's snagged the best farang. Taking the logic further it does set farangs boasting about Thai-Chinese wives/girlfriends at the same levels as the bargirls, doesn't it ? Not exactly the desired effect, I suppose.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1