Any Astro Physics Historians In Pattaya?

Starbooks

Just finished a poster on the solar system and I am interested in starting another called

"Astronomical Stars"

I want to show a timeline sweeping through space showing early scientists through to modern sceintists...

E.g

Copernicus working out that the planets revolving the sun

Newton's law of gravity discovering Neptune by maths

Hubble

Chandra for calculating singularities in Black holes

Hawkin for Black hole radiation etc.

There are many more But I am not aware of all so... any suggestions of who should be in or not are welcome....

No such list would be complete without Archimedes. The Greeks were well aware that the Earth was a globe and that it circled the sun. They even tried to measure the distance to the sun by triangulation.

Google 'Antikythera Mechanism' for curiosity.

Seems like James Maxwell, Michael Faraday, and A. Einstein should be included in there somewhere as well :)

You op has peaked my interest...to see there really are some "thinking" people in Pattaya...I may just have to stop in and check-out your store...though unfortunately, I don't do dead-tree books anymore. Perchance do you have a coffee c afe attached as well?

The Mayan, Egyptians, Babylonians and others studied the solar system very early on to a point that they understood the 25,800 year cycle. Not sure if that helps.

What's the 25800 year cycle...is it something I should be worried about? Query: How did they come to understand a 25800 year cycle of anything when their civilizations lasted only a few thousand years at the longest.

^^

That's the beauty of their sophisticated mathematics and calendar system.

The 25,800 years refers to the time the solar system takes to re-align to the universe in cycles.

Or something like that. It does so again at end 2012.

We can multiply days of a year by any number and they could too - and we live a short life also.

^^

The 25,800 years refers to the time the solar system takes to re-align to the universe in cycles.

We can multiply days of a year by any number and they could too - and we live a short life also.

Sounds like complete mumbo-jumbo non-sense...you need to stop reading Chopra and watching Oprah. :) Leave the science to scientist please.

• Like 1

^^

Sounds like complete mumbo-jumbo non-sense...you need to stop reading Chopra and watching Oprah. smile.png Leave the science to scientist please.

Read something about the galactic alignment and then tell me its mumbo-jumbo. That some ancients calculated this is not debatable.

^^

Sounds like complete mumbo-jumbo non-sense...you need to stop reading Chopra and watching Oprah. smile.png Leave the science to scientist please.

According to Wiki it's about 26000 years. Link beow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecliptic

Just this weekend My friend and I visited Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles. They have updated the place quite a bit.

Galileo. Inertia ideas, Orbits, sun-centric versus earth centric original thinker despite church directions.

Tycho Brahe for making observations accurate enough for Kepler

Kepler who actually determined the elliptical nature of the orbits( Laws of planetary motion)

Newton and law of gravity and actually now being able to calculate orbits.

Spectral lines (Balmer, Frauhoff, Bunsen)

EInstein and General Relativity

Hubble. Size and scale of the universe.

Carl Jansky (Radio Astronomy)

Seems like James Maxwell, Michael Faraday, and A. Einstein should be included in there somewhere as well smile.png

You op has peaked my interest...to see there really are some "thinking" people in Pattaya...I may just have to stop in and check-out your store...though unfortunately, I don't do dead-tree books anymore. Perchance do you have a coffee c afe attached as well?

yep, good coffee and PG tips tea...... ebooks too

Just this weekend My friend and I visited Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles. They have updated the place quite a bit.

Galileo. Inertia ideas, Orbits, sun-centric versus earth centric original thinker despite church directions.

Tycho Brahe for making observations accurate enough for Kepler

Kepler who actually determined the elliptical nature of the orbits( Laws of planetary motion)

Newton and law of gravity and actually now being able to calculate orbits.

Spectral lines (Balmer, Frauhoff, Bunsen)

EInstein and General Relativity

Hubble. Size and scale of the universe.

Carl Jansky (Radio Astronomy)

Thanks, That's more like it. Unless I want the poster to be the size of Pattaya Gallileo is a good start, I will try and mention the Greeks, Mayans and Chinese.....

Newton found the first planet using just calculation... Neptune...

Hubble suggested an expanding universe....

Edited by Starbooks