Honda Shifting More Production To Thailand

bbradsby

Honda Shifting More Production to Thailand

Bart Madson, Managing Editor [from the motorcycle-usa.com website]

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

will shift more motorcycle production away from its domestic factories, according to reports in the Japanese press.
the world’s largest motorcycle manufacturer will begin production of “large and midsize motorcycles” including bikes of 400cc and higher at its Thai facilities.

Honda’s Thai factories currently produce small displacement models, most notable for the U.S. market being the new CBR250, as well as numerous scooters like the PCX and Elite. The models slated for transfer figure to be bikes like the CB400, a mid-displacement standard unavailable in the U.S. but popular in the domestic Japanese market.

It appears that production of large displacement models will remain at the Kumamoto factory, Honda’s sole motorcycle plant in Japan.

[ Interestingly, this last paragraph seems to contradict the first as regards 'large' displacement bikes coming to LoS. Still, if Honda bikes 400cc and above commence production in Thailand, it bodes well for the price of mid-size bikes as well as an increase in selection for us & competition for the manufacturers - I doubt the other Big 4 makers will allow HOnda to be the sole, local, un-taxed entries in this market. Competition is good for the breed- and the consumer. ]
Edited by bbradsby

The big problem is that in Australia, where both bikes are imports, the 400 is 2x as expensive as the 250. If the same pricing structure exists in LOS, that would put the 400 in Kawi's 650 range. Even dyed in the wool Honda fans have to admit that is not a place for the bike to be at; you give up quite a bit of HP as well as having the local non-trained 'mechanics' to take care of the bike (Kawasaki sadly has Honda quite whipped on this aspect; even up in Nakhon Sawan the Kawasaki dealership is a joy to interact with and the mechanic knows his stuff; would I trust any of the Honda dealers...).

You'll only be able to get Honda's big bikes service at the Big Wing Center, not existing Honda dealerships. AP Honda will operate the first one and have dealers open up others in the future, similar to what Kawasaki did. The mechanics at the first Big Wing Center which opens this Thursday are trained and ready to go. Service will be on par with what Kawasaki provides for its big bikes.

You'll only be able to get Honda's big bikes service at the Big Wing Center, not existing Honda dealerships. AP Honda will operate the first one and have dealers open up others in the future, similar to what Kawasaki did. The mechanics at the first Big Wing Center which opens this Thursday are trained and ready to go. Service will be on par with what Kawasaki provides for its big bikes.

Except the price of parts (and labor?) will be double... (And this is NOT a dig at Honda- it's what one should expect for imported bikes of any brand)

Except the price of parts (and labor?) will be double... (And this is NOT a dig at Honda- it's what one should expect for imported bikes of any brand)

Not sure about the labor, but I guess you are right about the parts. Hopefully this will change when Honda starts selling locally made big bikes next year. By the way, how do prices for locally made parts compare price wise to imported ones? Thanks.

Brian

Not sure about the labor, but I guess you are right about the parts. Hopefully this will change when Honda starts selling locally made big bikes next year. By the way, how do prices for locally made parts compare price wise to imported ones? Thanks.

Brian

If you want to see how the prices compare, why don't you price a component on a locally made CB'r' 250 with an equivalent component on your new imported CBR1000RR. Pick something simple like a throttle grip or rear turn signal assembly. If Honda pricing is anything like that of Kawasaki you'll see that the domestically produced part will usually cost less than half the price of the imported part.

As far as labor, I believe Kawasaki, Thailand charges 180-200 baht/hour (seems to vary between dealers but 200 is the most I've ever been charged). Compare that to most of the import dealers that charge anywhere from 700-1000 baht/hour. Any idea what the labor rate will be at the new Honda Big Wing dealership?

Ride On!

Tony action.gif

Brian

If you want to see how the prices compare, why don't you price a component on a locally made CB'r' 250 with an equivalent component on your new imported CBR1000RR. Pick something simple like a throttle grip or rear turn signal assembly. If Honda pricing is anything like that of Kawasaki you'll see that the domestically produced part will usually cost less than half the price of the imported part.

As far as labor, I believe Kawasaki, Thailand charges 180-200 baht/hour (seems to vary between dealers but 200 is the most I've ever been charged). Compare that to most of the import dealers that charge anywhere from 700-1000 baht/hour. Any idea what the labor rate will be at the new Honda Big Wing dealership?

Ride On!

Tony action.gif

I'm not sure, but I'll check when I go to the grand opening on Thursday. I couldn't care less about the labor fees and part prices though. I just want to ride my new bike. Thanks for the info.

Brian

Edited by SumetCycle

Honda has always been quality, makes the other mentioned bikes look like they were made in Afghanistan.

Brian

Ride On!

Tony action.gif

A Thai produced 400cc.

It's what numourous dealers have been telling people to expect.

Now will it be CB400, inline 4, or something new.

Either way, great to see more Thai produced models, especially something between 250cc and 650cc.

It will almost certainly be a fuel efficient single (if it arrives at all - which I doubt). Just a CBr250 with a slightly larger engine. A twin is possible but less likely. No way Honda will manufacture an all-new 400cc inline 4 in Thailand.

Given demand in Thailand and its sensitivity to prices (and how many discussions have we had about bang for the buck), it's hard for me too to imagine that Honda will produce (in these modern times) a 4 cylinder bike. I don't know if it's harder to get hard information out of APHonda than it is generally in Thailand, but seeing is believing - not much else.

Everything Honda have done recently has been aimed more at the New World Petroleum Situation (and Global Heating, I suppose). Re-launching a dinosaur strikes me as being even more unlikely than a liter bike.

Given demand in Thailand and its sensitivity to prices (and how many discussions have we had about bang for the buck), it's hard for me too to imagine that Honda will produce (in these modern times) a 4 cylinder bike. I don't know if it's harder to get hard information out of APHonda than it is generally in Thailand, but seeing is believing - not much else.

Everything Honda have done recently has been aimed more at the New World Petroleum Situation (and Global Heating, I suppose). Re-launching a dinosaur strikes me as being even more unlikely than a liter bike.

Just FYI the inline 4 CB400 is still sold in Japan, with the latest model released in 2009.

Due to the Japanese licensing/insurance laws, 400cc's are in big demand. With a Ducati Monster 400, Er-4n(?) the 400cc version of the Er-6n and the CB400 all sold.

The announced Thai produced 400 has is to take advantage of the Japanese demand and the Thai Japanese trade laws.

Whether it will be a continuation of the inline 4 which is still being produced, or something new, who knows, no doubt it will be what they feel the Japanese demand. It is not like to be released any where except Japan, and Thailand due to the production and new Big Bike enterprise, it probably won't even make it to other ASEAN countries. With the CBR250R they set about a releasing a designing a completely new model and concept, based on being the global leader in that market throughout the World. Will they go through similar R+D and create a whole new and radical engine for a bike that is likely to be sold in two countries?

Who knows, no one on here anyway. smile.png

Just look at the 400cc's it will be competing against in the Japanese market.

Edited by strollling

Apologies, the latest version of the inline 4 CB400 was released last year, not 2009.

Will they release a 400cc competitor with a whole new engine (single or twin), or completely do over the CB400 getting rid of its inline 4 engine, or create a whole new bike just for the Japanese market only time will tell. What does the Japanese market want?

Edited by strollling

All bikes over 250cc are taxed beyond our 7%, as I understand it, even if made within Thailand. Basically, government takes the view that power on two wheels beyond that standard are overpowered, too fast, or a luxury, unnecessary, or else they're going with the Asean flow. Whichever their reasoning, the price is elevated.

My useless wild guess is that to build four cylinders and all parts, even an already developed engine, is not cheap, assuming strict Honda's standards. Even here in our land of smileys.smile.png

But sure, we'll wait and see - and all the while APHonda will be doing their confused dances of the truth obscuring veils.bah.gif

^ The bike is reportedly to be designed for the Japanese market, not the Thai one.

Luckily for us in the Thai market, it is reportedly to be produced here. Without that being the case it would just as likely be about as available as the current inline-4 CB400.

Edited by strollling

Whatever Honda feel the Japanese market demands, and will make them the most Yen.

Where do you get your info? It doesn't jive with reality. Bike sales in Japan remain abysmal. That's why Honda is moving production out of Japan and focusing on other markets with their latest models. Yes, there is a big niche in Japan for 400cc machines, but that niche is already very well served.