Pheu Thai Blames Poll Loss On Flood Policies

webfact

Waiting for the PTP supporters to come in and put their spin on it, surely they have a good excuse.

Oh they do. PTP was still suing democrats about food distribution during the flood. The democrats through is back in PTP,s face, knowing who had control.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

local Red Shirt aficionado nostitz's comments after the previous election would support your points as the UDD apparently played a major role in the previous PTP MP in Pathum Thani getting elected.

The the large working class areas such as Don Mueang, Pathum Thani or Samut Prakan especially have very strong Red Shirt organizations, also reflected in the elections in which you saw in those areas clear election victories of Puah Thai Party.

Edit to Add:

Hmmm... when that is coupled with the low voter turnout for this election, perhaps a lot of the Red Shirts didn't make it back in time from the Thaksin Tribute in Siem Reap, Cambodia and that cost the PTP the by-election.

Except that less than 7,400 reds entered Cambodia (Cambodian figures) to see the big T, so unless they all came from Pathum Thani it had no effect

Sorry, I was going by what phil said:

So , it's pretty clear.

About 50,000 people attended.

For comparison, here is how district 5 in Pathum Thani voted last year

PTP - 49,242 - 55%

Democrat - 34,402 - 38%

BJT - 6,026 - 6%

Interesting that this was a seat that PTP won with a majority of the vote, as many of their seats outside of the N and NE were not. You'd expect it more in one of the seats they won with 30% of the vote, not in one with a majority.

That aspect certainly lends credence to Korn's remark:

He made the whole thing as if it was for fun and has taken public support for granted.

That means he didn't hand out the usual 500 Baht.

That why only 30 % went voting.

It doesn't mean anything if the government is popular or not. The usual PTP supporter doesn't see any reason to go voting beside collecting his money.

As opposed to the 1000 baht that the democrats were handing out in the south last year?

Waiting for the PTP supporters to come in and put their spin on it, surely they have a good excuse.

Oh they do. PTP was still suing democrats about food distribution during the flood. The democrats through is back in PTP,s face, knowing who had control.

And the democrat party were suing PTP MP's at the same time. Their cases were also dismissed. What's your point?

PTP - 49,242 - 55%

Democrat - 34,402 - 38%

BJT - 6,026 - 6%

Interesting that this was a seat that PTP won with a majority of the vote, as many of their seats outside of the N and NE were not. You'd expect it more in one of the seats they won with 30% of the vote, not in one with a majority.

He made the whole thing as if it was for fun and has taken public support for granted.

It doesn't mean anything if the government is popular or not. The usual PTP supporter doesn't see any reason to go voting beside collecting his money.

As opposed to the 1000 baht that the democrats were handing out in the south last year?

All the south, with exception of the Muslim are voting for the Democrats anyhow, no matter what.

So neither I heard about it, nor do I believe that the Democrats do vote buying in areas that would vote for them anyhow.

If you spin a story about Democrats do vote buying in areas of Bangkok where it isn't sure which candidate wins than I may believe it, but in the south it would be a waste of money.

Bye elections normally have a low turn out and are not true barometers of public opinion. These elections are often used as a protest vote to show dissatisfaction with present actions or non actions of the party in power. However, in a full General election most voters return to their basic loyalties.

This is the situation in the UK, it is probably the same in most countries.

Perhaps it may have helped if the party leader visited the electorate to support the candidate, but he/she was out of the country.

It is more likely that Yingluck weighed up the options of suporting a local by election or attending the Japan - Mekong Summit. The Summit won it seems and maybe it was just a bit more important as the Japanese Government pledged 227 Billion baht in aid to develop infrastructure in the 5 Mekong Region countries which includes Thailand.

It is even more likely that Yingluck took this and every other opportunity to be out of the country, or parliament when something important is about to occur.
  • Like 1

Bye elections normally have a low turn out and are not true barometers of public opinion. These elections are often used as a protest vote to show dissatisfaction with present actions or non actions of the party in power. However, in a full General election most voters return to their basic loyalties.

This is the situation in the UK, it is probably the same in most countries.

I agree, however, most people are not dissatisfied after only a few months. Perhaps people don't like the deputy prime minister saying that PTP can "rule eternally"

The most likely reason for the Democrat win was the UDD did not fully mobilize in support of the PTP candidate. The reason for this is not known, but it could be due to UDD dissatisfaction with the PTP for allowing an MP for whom the UDD had spent a lot of effort in getting elected to just quit after 8 months and run in the PAO president race.

Another reason may be it is not so easy these days to get people all excited about the UDD’s cause as most everything they spouted was about an un-elected, appointed government run by the Democrats. Now that the PTP is running the government, there is little to complain about without addressing the issues the UDD’s behind the scenes supporters will not allow to be discussed. Things like land reform, income inequality, local monopolies, etc.

TH

They was 100% sure to win, support not needed. Major misstake.

Red-shirt minister Natthawut says Pathum Thani election defeat of Pheu Thai doesn't signify public's distrust of govt, urges govt to perform /TANN

What does it signify? That the electorate don't want the PTP in office?

Right not Distrust of GOVERNMENT

< but of PTP as the government..

Perhaps it may have helped if the party leader visited the electorate to support the candidate, but he/she was out of the country.

It is more likely that Yingluck weighed up the options of suporting a local by election or attending the Japan - Mekong Summit. The Summit won it seems and maybe it was just a bit more important as the Japanese Government pledged 227 Billion baht in aid to develop infrastructure in the 5 Mekong Region countries which includes Thailand.

As usual, you missed my points - the ambiguity of who actually leads the party, and that neither of the supposed leaders spend much time in Thailand.

That summit may have been important, as are others. But there is always another summit or meeting, and very little presence IN Thailand.

I admit that Surapong is an idiot, but he is the idiot SHE supposedly appointed as MoFA, and should be attending as Thailand's representative while she has least has the manners to appear in parliament occasionally.

I can only assume she knows that it is better to look like a fool than to open your mouth and prove it.

• Like 1

PTP - 49,242 - 55%

Democrat - 34,402 - 38%

BJT - 6,026 - 6%

Could it not just be a lot people didn't vote for PTP this time because they have failed to push through any of their election promises except the one cutting the tax for rich corporations?

That might hack off a lot of voters.

The MP that resigned causing this by-election (Sumet Rithakhani) lost the PAO election by a huge margin to the former PAO head Chan Phuangphet (an independent) by 110,974 to 214,429 votes.

Seeing that the governor (Nayok OBJ) can quite easily make more though graft than an MP in some Provinces/Jungwats, it is not surprising that he has jumped ship on what he thinks is a sure winner, only to get trounced.

It serves the greedy ******* right. :lol:

It would appear that PTP's 'lack of performance for the people', is being noted by the electorate,

by either active disinterest in them and their policies, or apathetic ennui to even vote for them.

Not to mention the political extent of what caused the flood to be worse, and it's aftermath.

Pretty stupid to have the lawsuit by PTP against the Dems for getting aid supplies for flood victims

come to a head and be thrown out just before the election, showed how the flood relief were used

as a political cudgel and not an impartial aide to the people as it should have been.

It is no doubt partly a sea change caused buy the excessive water issue,

but also a growing distrust they will do their actual promises, besides work for Thaksin.

And very possibly the spectre of Charter Amendment/Thaksin Help schemes showing likelihood

of reviving the situation that caused the last coup and the PAD in the streets phenomenon.

I'd venture the mass of the people are more than a little tired of having the economy,

and their lives disrupted by yet another round of all the political infighting.

"Pretty stupid to have the lawsuit by PTP against the Dems for getting aid supplies for flood victims

come to a head and be thrown out just before the election, showed how the flood relief were used

as a political cudgel and not an impartial aide to the people as it should have been."

So you're saying that the Thai public took this idea on and voted against the PTP?

Whilst at the same time a case against 7 PTP MP's by the democrat party for "allegedly interfering in the work of government officials in the distribution of flood relief supplies" was also dismissed as groundless, you are saying that only the PTP were using flood relief "as a political cudgel and not an impartial aide to the people as it should have been".

More hyprocisy. For once I agree with Abhisit who put the low turnout (30%) down to the public being fed up with both political parties.

The whole thing was stupid, but I am sure it contributed.

The Dems filed tit for tat.

1 ) But PTP filed to try and intimidate the Dems from Distributing Aid.

So quite obviously PTP could take credit.

2 ) The Dems filed because the PTP were NOT distributing aide equally.

Very different reasons and aims and public benefits

So if you talk about hypocrisy, PTP takes the booby prize every time.

PS.

You just upbraided Bucholz about rule 30,

but you just 'cut up my post and inserted your own text'.

Do not cut my posts and add comments. If there is any need to cut posts because of exceeding the no.of quotes then cut the earlier ones, do not cut the content. Rule 30, you should know it by now. For your benefit here it is:

Even if the whole post was also above.

Since you are picking nits, this is also glaring hypocrisy.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

Remark from th countryside.

The last three days , I followed a Buddhist ordination for 77 baby monks in southern Lampang district.. One of my family ordained,

I had to participate. My brother in law (Democrat officer for culture and social developement in the local administration) was the ceremonial master for the Wat, not for the buddhist ceremony. Incredible event. Electricity couldn't follow, crash for 20 minutes.

No problem. The organizers were overwhelmed by te support of families in this district.

The refuge to the Buddha (even if they don't know the Buddha's Teaching correctly), to the old cultural traditions, beyond political

misuse, was for me an indicator .

My conclusion: Thai people are not stupid.

There were political people of all colors, but they were beyond.

The young monks had the sceptre

of argumention. I hope

they can use it.

The most likely reason for the Democrat win was the UDD did not fully mobilize in support of the PTP candidate. The reason for this is not known, but it could be due to UDD dissatisfaction with the PTP for allowing an MP for whom the UDD had spent a lot of effort in getting elected to just quit after 8 months and run in the PAO president race.

Another reason may be it is not so easy these days to get people all excited about the UDD’s cause as most everything they spouted was about an un-elected, appointed government run by the Democrats. Now that the PTP is running the government, there is little to complain about without addressing the issues the UDD’s behind the scenes supporters will not allow to be discussed. Things like land reform, income inequality, local monopolies, etc.

local Red Shirt aficionado nostitz's comments after the previous election would support your points as the UDD apparently played a major role in the previous PTP MP in Pathum Thani getting elected.

The the large working class areas such as Don Mueang, Pathum Thani or Samut Prakan especially have very strong Red Shirt organizations, also reflected in the elections in which you saw in those areas clear election victories of Puah Thai Party.

Edit to Add:

Hmmm... when that is coupled with the low voter turnout for this election, perhaps a lot of the Red Shirts didn't make it back in time from the Thaksin Tribute in Siem Reap, Cambodia and that cost the PTP the by-election.

Or possibly the PT couldn't afford to buy the same seat twice in nine months.

Thaksin is a very rich man but after the money he spent on the red shirts attempt to burn Thailand down and the amount he put into the last election he is a little reluctant to pour more money out when it is not really going to change the balance of power.wai.gif

Thaksin is a very rich man but after the money he spent on the red shirts attempt to burn Thailand down and the amount he put into the last election he is a little reluctant to pour more money out when it is not really going to change the balance of power.wai.gif

What happened with the concept of face and loosing face? Not important, washed down the drains with floodwaters?

What happened with the concept of face and loosing face? Not important, washed down the drains with floodwaters?

Probably. But lets face it Thaksin has no idea of face and losing it.

If he did he would stick the same story. He just changes stories to meet his immediate needs,

That is not really keeping face.

Probably. But lets face it Thaksin has no idea of face and losing it.

If he did he would stick the same story. He just changes stories to meet his immediate needs,

That is not really keeping face.

Now I understand the importance of those Thaksin masks, that's to help keeping face rolleyes.gif

Sorry, can't help myself. No offence meant.wai.gif

It would appear that PTP's 'lack of performance for the people', is being noted by the electorate,

by either active disinterest in them and their policies, or apathetic ennui to even vote for them.

Not to mention the political extent of what caused the flood to be worse, and it's aftermath.

Pretty stupid to have the lawsuit by PTP against the Dems for getting aid supplies for flood victims

as a political cudgel and not an impartial aide to the people as it should have been.

It is no doubt partly a sea change caused buy the excessive water issue,

but also a growing distrust they will do their actual promises, besides work for Thaksin.

And very possibly the spectre of Charter Amendment/Thaksin Help schemes showing likelihood

of reviving the situation that caused the last coup and the PAD in the streets phenomenon.

I'd venture the mass of the people are more than a little tired of having the economy,

and their lives disrupted by yet another round of all the political infighting.

"Pretty stupid to have the lawsuit by PTP against the Dems for getting aid supplies for flood victims

as a political cudgel and not an impartial aide to the people as it should have been."

So you're saying that the Thai public took this idea on and voted against the PTP?

Whilst at the same time a case against 7 PTP MP's by the democrat party for "allegedly interfering in the work of government officials in the distribution of flood relief supplies" was also dismissed as groundless, you are saying that only the PTP were using flood relief "as a political cudgel and not an impartial aide to the people as it should have been".

More hyprocisy. For once I agree with Abhisit who put the low turnout (30%) down to the public being fed up with both political parties.

The whole thing was stupid, but I am sure it contributed.

The Dems filed tit for tat.

1 ) But PTP filed to try and intimidate the Dems from Distributing Aid.

So quite obviously PTP could take credit.

2 ) The Dems filed because the PTP were NOT distributing aide equally.

Very different reasons and aims and public benefits

So if you talk about hypocrisy, PTP takes the booby prize every time.

PS.

You just upbraided Bucholz about rule 30,

but you just 'cut up my post and inserted your own text'.

Do not cut my posts and add comments. If there is any need to cut posts because of exceeding the no.of quotes then cut the earlier ones, do not cut the content. Rule 30, you should know it by now. For your benefit here it is:

Even if the whole post was also above.

Since you are picking nits, this is also glaring hypocrisy.

I'm not picking nits. I didn't touch your post as you have admitted. I c and p'd the portion of your post to highlight the portion I was answering. Simple as that - people can still read your post in its entirity.

you guys can talk all you want about PTP being morons and they certainly are, but when you are the party of the underclasses, in a democracy, and the underclass makes up 80%+ of the population, there is a whole lot more room for you to grow.

what is mark's plan to help the poor? what does he offer them? what has the ruling class ever offered?

Thaksin is a very rich man but after the money he spent on the red shirts attempt to burn Thailand down

Just when I thought the oft used " burning of Bangkok" couldn't be trumped. biggrin.png

Edited by mca

Prompong said major causes of the Pheu Thai defeat was that only 30 per cent of eligible voters exercised their voting rights, and turning of public sentiment against the government for its handling of the flooding.

Culprit #1: the voters

Culprit #2: the weather

Bright.

But true, the handling was a disaster in itself indeed.

Edited by Mitker