Rental Laws In Thailand - House Owner Comes Onto The Property When He Feels Like It. What Is The Law?

We have rented a nice house in the north of Phuket from a local guy and he turns up to the property whenever he wants.

He never calls and even when he turns up unannounced he does not even let us know he is here - he strolls around doing jobs and yells out when he feels like it to tell us something insignificant.

Im not new to Thailand and have been here in Phuket for many years, so I do understand the culture, but Im after information on the actual law if there is one..

Does a Thai owner have to give notice prior to coming onto the property?

Thanks

I suspect it's all written in the 'Rental Agreement' - do you not have one?

For our rentals, as landlord, I or the other half, need to give 'reasonable notice'. Unless an emergency, I consider this to be a couple of days.

There again, though, I tend to bring my UK standard landlord behaviours here, so I'm aware that has no relation to the shysters around this place.

BTM: I don't know your situation, but there's always a solution:

If your better half is Thai, then perhaps she could have a 'friendly chat' with the Landlord and explain some of the "strange" cultural things when it comes to Farang renting a house . . . . .

If you are not endowed with a terrific Thai wife, it would be very worthwhile for you to select a trusted Thai, within your group of mates, in order to have that very same 'friendly chat' with your landlord.

BTW, I sympathize with your predicament; and maybe this will help you resolve the "little problem" ?

On another thread "can I sue my landlord?", you will find a very good lawyer from the wellknown lawfirm B.A.R. Stool, his name is phl and is an expert on cases just like yours. According to him it is a clear case of trespassing, and the police MUST arrest your landlord straight away. Bail for a serious offence like that is 250.000 baht !! So don't waste your time here, but pm Dr phl.