Bargain Phuket

stevehaigh

Well to be fair I don't only take lettuce, but I try not to but in things that are dirt cheap by the kilo like cucumbers and pay 10 times the price. Also put a bit of beetroot, quail eggs, cocktail tomatoes etc. I just meant it would be possible to only take lettuce. Personally, I would feel a bit shy to get a whole bowl for 50 Baht cause it would look suspicious.

But I also see why someone who stays over here longer and has a girlfriend wouldn't want to pay 100 baht for a small Singha to hang out in a girly bar. Yes, there is places, even in Patong, where you get a big Leo for 70 Baht. If the objective is to only chat with your mates and have a nice bar atmosphere in the back with a bit of music I think this makes more sense.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well to be fair I don't only take lettuce, but I try not to but in things that are dirt cheap by the kilo like cucumbers and pay 10 times the price. Also put a bit of beetroot, quail eggs, cocktail tomatoes etc. I just meant it would be possible to only take lettuce. Personally, I would feel a bit shy to get a whole bowl for 50 Baht cause it would look suspicious.

But I also see why someone who stays over here longer and has a girlfriend wouldn't want to pay 100 baht for a small Singha to hang out in a girly bar. Yes, there is places, even in Patong, where you get a big Leo for 70 Baht. If the objective is to only chat with your mates and have a nice bar atmosphere in the back with a bit of music I think this makes more sense.

Never been interested in girlie bars myself, there is a bar at the top end of bangla road all beers were 60 baht i think 70 baht now, see all the sights without paying for company you do not want in the price of the beer

Never been interested in girlie bars myself, there is a bar at the top end of bangla road all beers were 60 baht i think 70 baht now, see all the sights without paying for company you do not want in the price of the beer

Have yet to find a bar on Bangla that does this price for a big one though. If you want to watch the girls dance while drinking cheap beer, go inside soi Hollwood, first bar on the left,3 litre tower 350 baht. Works out less than 40 Baht for 330 ml smile.png

Edited by MaikB84

The place I go also sells large bottles of Archa for 37 baht. bah.gif

I'm not talking about a minimart here but a real bar. Actually, when compared to Leo, Archa is not that bad at all. But one of my favourites is Chang Export. It's only been available for a year and I guess they put a bit of effort into developing it. Very smooth and very tasty and way better than Leo. And doesn't change its taste from one batch to the next. Bit more expensive than Chang classic but still slightly cheaper than Singha.

I think if you were to do a blind taste test you will only be able to pick what's Singha because there is a lot of hops and maybe Heineken because its so watery. I think there is no beer in Thailand that truly tastes bad, maybe its about the rice so it all just goes down easily. Best one is imo San Miguel Original (not the light stuff), I don't know what they put in there but it is really really good.

Talking about San Miguel, they also brew Red Horse, available in Familiy Marts (not 7/11s) from 40 Baht for a big one. Tastes pretty good if you like strong beer (6.9%).

But I don't wanna derail the thread, so please keep posting bargains.

Edited by MaikB84

I'm not talking about a minimart here but a real bar. Actually, when compared to Leo, Archa is not that bad at all. But one of my favourites is Chang Export. It's only been available for a year and I guess they put a bit of effort into developing it. Very smooth and very tasty and way better than Leo. And doesn't change its taste from one batch to the next. Bit more expensive than Chang classic but still slightly cheaper than Singha.

I think if you were to do a blind taste test you will only be able to pick what's Singha because there is a lot of hops and maybe Heineken because its so watery. I think there is no beer in Thailand that truly tastes bad, maybe its about the rice so it all just goes down easily. Best one is imo San Miguel Original (not the light stuff), I don't know what they put in there but it is really really good.

Talking about San Miguel, they also brew Red Horse, available in Familiy Marts (not 7/11s) from 40 Baht for a big one. Tastes pretty good if you like strong beer (6.9%).

The place I go to started out as just a simple shop run by a Thai couple. It is now evolving into a bar with more and more furniture and amenities growing around the front. Nice people, good atmosphere, but a long way removed from a girlie bar.

Very handy to my place. Shop prices for beer, but certainly doesn't have the range described above.

A local watering hole, not a big night out.

The place I go to started out as just a simple shop run by a Thai couple. It is now evolving into a bar with more and more furniture and amenities growing around the front. Nice people, good atmosphere, but a long way removed from a girlie bar.

Very handy to my place. Shop prices for beer, but certainly doesn't have the range described above.

But certainly sounds like a nice place with prices cheaper than 7-11. I used to frequent one of these in Pattaya right at the entrance of the entertainment area and watch everyone go to work and come back every now and then to buy single cigarettes or whisky shots for the motorbike taxis. Well, it's gone now but always had a crowd and a good atmosphere every night.

Btw not too much bargain, but if you want to have the best view over Patong drive to Kamala and head towards the road to Kamala Hills, at the very end there is a nice viewpoint restaurant. Beer and food is 60 Baht. Don't stay till after dawn though, too many insects then. Can also be reached via Patong through the jungle, you'll see on Google Maps.

Edited by MaikB84

• 3 weeks later...

Well I thought I'd share the fact that B2S at Central is having a storewide 40% off on books till 31 May 2012. I don't go to Central much so I took this opportunity to snap up early b'day + xmas gifts, etc.

every book or just the ones no one want? Those expensive cookbooks might be worth buying at 40% off, unless they upped the prices 40% before offering the discount.

There is no hope for you in this life have you ever thought about writing a book.

Well I thought I'd share the fact that B2S at Central is having a storewide 40% off on books till 31 May 2012. I don't go to Central much so I took this opportunity to snap up early b'day + xmas gifts, etc.

I love the concept of library. Functional library is one of the few things I miss from my home country.

Really good books are written to be read by larger audience. We wish to educate ourselves, read books, get the information and then remember what was said.

Sometimes we want to own the books, which will give the money for the author. Sometimes we just wish to read the ideas inside.

Could we do an functional library here in Phuket?

We could donate books to the library for other to borrow, after we have read the items. We already have some ok libraries in the island. Do these libraries accept English books as donations?

I could bring some of my books to Thalang library if they would put those to their selves.

Sounds good to me, This thread is about bargiain's but value for money is also a bargain cheap or expensive you can get ripped of anywere.

Sorry i must dash Bugs Bunnie is on the line about the latest prices on Lettuce and he know's a bargain.

every book or just the ones no one want? Those expensive cookbooks might be worth buying at 40% off, unless they upped the prices 40% before offering the discount.

Hi Hostile17, yes 40% off on all books, including those expensive cookbooks, big pictorial hardcover ones, and even kids' books, encyclopedias, etc.

I love the concept of library. Functional library is one of the few things I miss from my home country.

Really good books are written to be read by larger audience. We wish to educate ourselves, read books, get the information and then remember what was said.

Sometimes we want to own the books, which will give the money for the author. Sometimes we just wish to read the ideas inside.

Could we do an functional library here in Phuket?

We could donate books to the library for other to borrow, after we have read the items. We already have some ok libraries in the island. Do these libraries accept English books as donations?

I could bring some of my books to Thalang library if they would put those to their selves.

Likewise, a library is the one thing I miss most from home - the closest thing here to a functional public library is second hand/ book exchange stores.

Oh, and one more that just got into my Facebook: Wcafe is offering free coffee tasting at Friendship Beach today (26 May 2012) between 11am - 4pm. Friendship Beach's restaurant is also offering 20% off their food and beverage for orders taken during the coffee tasting. According to the Facebook post, you can pick up the discount voucher from Wcafe's stand at the restaurant.

Edited by LadyinRed

• 6 months later...

Pls, recommend good place for currency exchange. Usually I use "Airport Exchange" oppsite the way out of airport' parking lot, however it's a little far.. I heard about good place in Phuket town, but WHERE??

All the banks offer much the same exchange rate. And just the same as the "Airport Exchange"

Pls, recommend good place for currency exchange. Usually I use "Airport Exchange" oppsite the way out of airport' parking lot, however it's a little far.. I heard about good place in Phuket town, but WHERE??

On the road that runs along the side of the now closed Thavorn Hotel about 50 metres down on the right....so basically behind Robinsons.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by Rickster

All the banks offer much the same exchange rate. And just the same as the "Airport Exchange"

Not true, if you exchange large amounts banks differ a lot.

Eat for free every day by becoming a balloon chaser (make sure you only order a coke and nurse it for two hours).

Get money for your happy hour beers by rummaging through other people's rubbish to collect cans, plastics and cardboard (best to go at sun-up so you can beat the professional scavangers to the bins).

Save on laundry bills by turning inside out your T-shirts shorts and underpants (using a stiff-bristled brush on the underpants is recommended), a great conversation starter as numerous people will inform you that you have them on inside-out. Feign ignorance.

Flowers for your sweet-heart? Don't buy them, there are loads of magnificent Calla lillies that grow in the storm drains. Absolutely free!

Screen your face with a free base-ball cap. You'll see one lying in the road at least once a week

Free flip-flops.....as above, though you might have to wait a bit to get a right and a left.

I had no idea that people were so hard up in Phuket. That's me in a couple of years time when I pack in full time work, so please don't think that I am gloating. Good tips and a Happy New Year to all!