Moving To Singapore, Want Tg To Live With Me

Howdy,

I'm relocating from the UK to SG shortly and once there I'd like to have my Thai girlfriend come live with me.

I have a horrible feeling this is going to be really difficult because SG is really strict on long-term visas. Has anyone moved to SG and successfully got a long-term visa for their Thai girlfriend (not married)?

I met her in a bar like most farangs, and as usual fell completely in love. It's been 6 months now and I've just come back from Thailand after seeing her again, and we definitely want to be together and make plans for the future. Singapore made a lot of sense for me as I love South East Asia and my line of work is in abundance. It's also very close to her home so she can see her family often.

My SG salary should cover our living expenses, but a little extra would always help. I'm not sure what work she could do in SG as she only has a basic school education. Anyone know if she'd be able to work anywhere, even if it's low paid?

Thanks.

I don't want to take her from one bar and have her work in another sad.png

There is more than one to choose from in Orchard towers.....laugh.png ....glad to see you have a sense of humour unlike most TV posters, but back to your question, she can get 30 days a time without a visa in SG and i am sure with a little help from your company..ie letters etc she could be issued a longer term visa

I think the main issue I face is that a Dependant Pass requires you to be married, and a Long Term Visitor Pass requires common-law marriage (and we haven't lived together, so that doesn't seem provable).

Could you not "employ" her as your maid...I am being serious here ?

• Like 1

I suggest enrolling her in a college course in Singapore and applying for a student visa

I am assuming (given where you met) that she could benefit from some further education

Good on you for rescuing this poor girl and good on you for being so honest about it here

• Like 1

The Student Pass is an interesting idea, you should follow that one up. In practical terms there is little between a DEP and an LTVP, except that it is easier to gain permission to work if under a DEP. Singapore Ministry of Manpower (MOM) is very user friendly and usually display a 'can do' attitude to any issues that crop up, so long as you aren't trying to pull the wool over their eyes, and have a well-remunerated job offer in Singapore for which you are well qualified. Why not contact them and ask them what paperwork they would want to see to consider an application for a DEP / LTVP?

My missus and I have been living in Singapore since late 2006 and we both like it here (for differing reasons). For her, it is distinctively SE Asian, there is a large Thai community and it is certainly a good place to improve English language skills.

Good luck.

Very easy. When the 30 days are up just hop across to Johore (malaysia) and your girkfriend will get another 30 days in Singapre when she returns,. I did this for many years with no problem. By bus about 30 minutes,

The Student Pass is an interesting idea, you should follow that one up. In practical terms there is little between a DEP and an LTVP, except that it is easier to gain permission to work if under a DEP. Singapore Ministry of Manpower (MOM) is very user friendly and usually display a 'can do' attitude to any issues that crop up, so long as you aren't trying to pull the wool over their eyes, and have a well-remunerated job offer in Singapore for which you are well qualified. Why not contact them and ask them what paperwork they would want to see to consider an application for a DEP / LTVP?

My missus and I have been living in Singapore since late 2006 and we both like it here (for differing reasons). For her, it is distinctively SE Asian, there is a large Thai community and it is certainly a good place to improve English language skills.

Good luck.

I think I will follow up on the Student Pass, thanks brit1984. Cost will be my only hurdle but I can look into that.

Captain Chaos - I've looked at the MOM website for DEP and LTVP and it is quite clearly listed what the requirements are. I'd have no problem marrying her if everything continues as it is, probably after we've been together a little longer and I'm settled in Singapore. Not sure if Singapore recognises Thai marriage (she'd want to marry in Thailand), but if not maybe marry in Singapore too??!

I'm not on a full blown expat package, but the pay is decent for SG. Monthly SGD after tax will be $6350, and although I know property rental is expensive in SG, I think that should still be enough for two people to live on - so I'd hope MOM sees I have enough to take care of her even if she isn't working. It's just knowing which form fits us, as there is a catch 22 situation with her needing to live with me to prove common-law marriage, which will be hard if she only gets a 30 day travel visa (and I don't want to risk immigration flagging anything with multiple re-entries).

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

Good luck.

I think I will follow up on the Student Pass, thanks brit1984. Cost will be my only hurdle but I can look into that.

Captain Chaos - I've looked at the MOM website for DEP and LTVP and it is quite clearly listed what the requirements are. I'd have no problem marrying her if everything continues as it is, probably after we've been together a little longer and I'm settled in Singapore. Not sure if Singapore recognises Thai marriage (she'd want to marry in Thailand), but if not maybe marry in Singapore too??!

I'm not on a full blown expat package, but the pay is decent for SG. Monthly SGD after tax will be $6350, and although I know property rental is expensive in SG, I think that should still be enough for two people to live on - so I'd hope MOM sees I have enough to take care of her even if she isn't working. It's just knowing which form fits us, as there is a catch 22 situation with her needing to live with me to prove common-law marriage, which will be hard if she only gets a 30 day travel visa (and I don't want to risk immigration flagging anything with multiple re-entries).

Thai marriage is recognised...ie the one at the Amphur, not the buddist one..

Further I am not aware of any restriction on the number of visa waivers a Thai national can get in Singapore, ie she could travel in for 30 days leave for a couple of days and comeback.

You are obviously aware of the reason of why Thai ladies come under scrutinity entering Singapore, but in your case she would be there for legitimate reasons and your company could provide a letter to this effect stating they will take "responsiblity" for her

Singapore immigration are pretty understanding and accomadating on a lot of things provided you don't BS them

Good luck.

The 30 day social pass will work for a while, but you will need to go through immigration every time to be sure they don't turn her away. I suspect that after a few months they will warn you to stop using the 30 day social pass.

You will need to go ahead and register the marriage in Thailand (no need for the ceremony if you don't want it) and get her a dependent pass.

I'm sorry, but you are nuts to go work in Singapore for that kind of money. You are going to end up in a 2 room HDB flat and spending 25% or your income on that. Anything decent is going to be S$3-4K a month. Our housing allowance in Singapore is S$8,000 a month alone.

Good luck, I hope it works out.

TH

I'm not bothered about an ultra fancy condo - and looking at the cost of living it seemed like the remainder (say $3500) was plenty for the living expenses (I don't really drink or eat out at expensive restaurants). If locals can manage on a LOT less I'm sure we'll manage.

Good luck.

The 30 day social pass will work for a while, but you will need to go through immigration every time to be sure they don't turn her away. I suspect that after a few months they will warn you to stop using the 30 day social pass.

You will need to go ahead and register the marriage in Thailand (no need for the ceremony if you don't want it) and get her a dependent pass.

I'm sorry, but you are nuts to go work in Singapore for that kind of money. You are going to end up in a 2 room HDB flat and spending 25% or your income on that. Anything decent is going to be S$3-4K a month. Our housing allowance in Singapore is S$8,000 a month alone.

Good luck, I hope it works out.

TH

Yes, i agree. There may be no official restrictions on the visa waivers for Thais (all ASEAN and so on) but I know two European guys working here, whose quite legit girlfriends were refused entry and/or given a thorough grilling at Changi immigration, after visiting repeatedly. A long term visa is the way to go. Still think the OP should call MOM, or even go see them in person once he is here, has his EP etc. They are usually super helpful if you make the effort to go over there.

My wife and I got married in Bang Rak. No need to register marriage in Singapore too. You will need to get an English translation of the marriage cert made, and have the Thai embassy certify it. This is all pretty straight forward stuff but will take a few days.

Off topic: would agree that S$6,350 may be a little tight in Singapore these days. Yes, locals live on much lower salaries, but they tend to live at the parents home until relatively late in life, so no rental or mortgage costs. That said, I know a couple of expats who prefer the out of town life and live in HDBs over in Tampines etc and seem very happy doing so!

Did your wife get an LVTP then? i.e. common-law marriage?

I'll take your advice though and go and see MoM when I get there. I'm sure if I explain what the outcome I want is they can advise the right course of action.

I'd be fine in a HDB - some of them are pretty nice! As long as we can live on about $3500 a month I'm sure we'll manage (and going forward if she does secure some work, even if its a low salary, it will all help).

Thanks again for the information.

No, a DEP ... We are "legally" married in Thailand (ie, at the Amphur). I meant that there was no need to go through another marriage process in Singapore. I just got the Thai marriage certificate translated into English and had the Thai embassy certify that translation. Then showed it to MOM.

My stepson got a LTVP to start with. They wouldn't grant a DEP I assume because he's not my biological son. It was all pretty straightforward though. He's on a (primary school) Student Pass now which is a really good scheme - can be up to a 6 year visa!

MrsChaos and I have become Singapore PRs now, so we have to deal with ICA rather than MOM. That's a shame as MOM are far more user friendly.

Good luck.

Edited by Captain Chaos

I've lived here in Singapore for almost 13 years now, and I regret to tell you that it won't be easy. The gov't has really tightened things up over the past 2 years, and there seems to be a real bias in immigration policy (or implementation) against Thai nationals ... for what reason I don't know. Thais frequently get turned back at airport immigration, even on their first visit, especially if their English is not good. If she visits you, make sure she carries your business card with her as well as something showing your residential address.

DO NOT, as suggested by some, try the 30-day+extention+U-turn from Malaysia (etc). It will work a couple of times and then it will be very hard for her to come her again. My Thai gf has come here maybe a dozen times in the last 2 years, but it's because she comes for a week or so at a time (she has a shop in Amnat Charoen to take care of). She never had a problem at the airport. A previous gf once had a small problem, but I believe it was because she had stayed here for longer periods (though hadn't come here many times)... in that case, the immigration officer called me and warned me that if she worked while she was here, I'd be held responsible.

Student visas used to be much easier to get than now. They've shut down a lot of dodgy schools over the past year, and most of the survivors now have electronic 'check-in' systems to ensure the students are actually attending classes [foreign students must tap a smartcard outside the classrooms they use]. This route is still a possibility, but she will obviously have to have the qualifications for the programme and will have to attend classes.

Jobs here are extremely hard to come by for Thais. I have repeatedly tried to help a Thai restaurant hire Thai chefs here (doing all the applications for them etc.) After the third rejection I call the Ministry of Manpower and was told that it was essentially easier to hire an (unqualified) Chinese national, Malaysia national, or Thai permanent resident rather than a Thai national from Thailand with string qualifications. Even the woman I talked to understood the absurdity of having to hire a Chinese national who has never tasted Thai food over a Thai national with many years of experience as a chef.

Good luck!!

The one possible employment option I'm aware of is what is called an "entertainment pass". I believe that they only go to a max of 6 months, but they're for singers, dancers, and drinks girls (in some cases). There are dodgy places here that you will want to keep her away from: Orchard Towers has been mentioned. OT is mostly for tourist visa girls working illegally on the 'night shift' (if you get my drift); clearly not the place for your gf. However, there are now many "Thai Discos" here, and they're the ones that will hire legit girls. They're not that dodgy either... the girls make money off getting male customers to buy absurdly priced drinks for them and sometimes dancing on stage. But they're not 'for hire', even though romances obviously sometimes start up. If you do a visit here, go to Golden Mile Complex (not Tower) on Beach Rd. That place is 'Thai central', and has about a half dozen Thai discos. Maybe if you visit at night, you can talk to a couple of drinks girls ($60 for three small watered-down tequilas) and find out how they got in.

hope this helps a little

BTW, Singapore has even made it difficult to bring a wife here over the past couple of years. Now the marriage has to be of a certain length, and there are all sorts of other hurdles and restrictions. There have been a number of stories in the press about the difficulties experienced by men who 'buy' a wife through a marriage agency here and are unable to get her into the country. Again, I detect a real bias against Thai nationals, and it may be more difficult to bring a Thai wife in rather than one from China or Vietnam (the more common 'source countries' for Chinese Singaporean men).

I think the main issue I face is that a Dependant Pass requires you to be married, and a Long Term Visitor Pass requires common-law marriage (and we haven't lived together, so that doesn't seem provable).

Nope, cannot be done. Maids here can only come from the following countries: Philippines, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India. I may have missed one or two, but I'm 100% sure that Thailand is not on the list.

BTW, Singapore has even made it difficult to bring a wife here over the past couple of years. Now the marriage has to be of a certain length, and there are all sorts of other hurdles and restrictions. There have been a number of stories in the press about the difficulties experienced by men who 'buy' a wife through a marriage agency here and are unable to get her into the country. Again, I detect a real bias against Thai nationals, and it may be more difficult to bring a Thai wife in rather than one from China or Vietnam (the more common 'source countries' for Chinese Singaporean men).

That's very interesting and I have also seen the odd story in the Straits Times or Today (I don't read the local papers that often) about elderly local gentlemen who "imported" brides from VN, CN etc and then the lady disappeared ASAP. No doubt the authorities have or will crack down as a result. However - these are all Singaporean men so their "wives" visas would fall under ICA's remit (I think!). The OP is a foreigner, offered employment in Singapore, so his other half's visa would be under MOM's authority. Having fairly recently moved from an Employment Pass to Permanent Resident, I know that MOM operate quite differently to ICA. Don't disagree that it will require considerable patience and persistence from the OP, plus a gazillion bits of paper, to get it done, but I wouldn't be totally dispirited just yet...

I met her in a bar like most farangs, and as usual fell completely in love

In a bar? Like most? I am not so sure about that.............

I have a friend who was unmarried but wanted to accompany her boyfriend, however, like above visas were a problem so his workplace hired her on a domestic visa with the workplace as his home (so she was a domestic in his home) and they did it that way.

Then, she later got a job for an oil company and transfered to the company sposnsorship. This continued for 18 months until they actually decided marriage was right for them. Now, they live there still and she works for the same oil company.

The only hard issues was tranfering from domestic to professional work visa, I think.

Jazz

Could also try the Sing Embassy in Thailand..

Mostly Thai people working there and they could be more accommodating than Sing services as they would be helping on of them.

Did the same in Phnom Penh for Cambodian wife: only Buddhist ceremony so no papers = Thai immigration always said no.... 4 years I have been able to get get visa for her using my Thai visa + work permit and a company letter.

My point is, it could be worth trying both: Sing Embassy in Thailand as well as immigration in Sing: might find out they do not ask for the same papers 100%.

GL

Edited by CantSpell

Nope, cannot be done. Maids here can only come from the following countries: Philippines, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India. I may have missed one or two, but I'm 100% sure that Thailand is not on the list.

From the Singapore MOM site

Work Permit (Foreign Domestic Worker) – Before Employment

Foreign Domestic Worker requirements

A Foreign Domestic Worker (FDW) must meet the following requirements:

• Female
  • From an approved source Country/territory. These Countries/territories include Bangladesh, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Macau, Malaysia, The Republic of the Union of Myanmar, Philippines, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, and Thailand

I don't believe much of your other posts either.

It is true that a single Thai woman will be looked at when entering Singapore, but that has been true for a long time. If she is accompanied by husband or BF then she will be let in unless it is an ongoing turnaround.

The maid route is the best way, but it will cost S$265 in levy plus he will have to actually pay her a salary as that can be audited.

TH

Edited by thaihome

From the Singapore MOM site

Work Permit (Foreign Domestic Worker) – Before Employment

Foreign Domestic Worker requirements

A Foreign Domestic Worker (FDW) must meet the following requirements:

• Female
  • From an approved source Country/territory. These Countries/territories include Bangladesh, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Macau, Malaysia, The Republic of the Union of Myanmar, Philippines, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, and Thailand

I don't believe much of your other posts either.

It is true that a single Thai woman will be looked at when entering Singapore, but that has been true for a long time. If she is accompanied by husband or BF then she will be let in unless it is an ongoing turnaround.

The maid route is the best way, but it will cost S$265 in levy plus he will have to actually pay her a salary as that can be audited.

TH

This seems like a good idea to get her in there but would it not make it difficult for her to gain PR and citizenship in the future?

I don't know all the details but my understanding is the rights of these maids are fairly limited.

This seems like a good idea to get her in there but would it not make it difficult for her to gain PR and citizenship in the future?

I don't know all the details but my understanding is the rights of these maids are fairly limited.

You're right, but I think the focus should be on getting the lady into Singapore to start with. PR has become very difficult to get now, even for western expats on large remuneration packages, so I think for the OP and his girlfriend an application for PR is going to be a long way down the tracks...

I can't comment on the Thai G/F aspect but I think that taking a job in SG on a net salary of SGD 6,350 a month is crazy, after home rental costs you might just have 80SGD a day to pay for everything else you need to buy.

I can't comment on the Thai G/F aspect but I think that taking a job in SG on a net salary of SGD 6,350 a month is crazy, after home rental costs you might just have 80SGD a day to pay for everything else you need to buy.

I see people saying this a lot but I still can't work out _why_. I totally get some expats are on huge packages and spend a fortune on housing and lifestyle, but I've researched cost of living for everything else and can't see any issues on living on say S$3500 a month after rental.

Edited by LoveThaiGirls