Best 3G/4G Provider In Thailand? Dtac? Ais? Other?

BigBikeBKK

My point was that if you do a test with speedtest.net through a True adsl connection you get a fake result.Or how do you explain a ping from Bangkok to New York under 200 Msec.

Errrrrrrrrr......... correct me if i am wrong.........

but.......... speedtest said "searching for nearest server"........... it will select a local server........ one of my last ones, i got a ping of 32ms, and it was in Truemove H 3G+ to a DTAC server (obviously DTAC is now sponsoring Speedtest). so is DTAC faking true's ping for the better??....thats a change ! they usually slag each other off smile.png

is using that ping.net........ my ping to the US is 354 ms just now.

there are tons of guys more expert on this, but i think you need to know what your ping-ing.

What do you think about this one.Now keep in mind that a 38Msec ping to San fransisco is technologically impossible to realise.

post-118355-0-70118800-1335888148_thumb.

Edited by pipo1000

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the packages?

I understood all the operators have high speed data maximum of 3-5GB/month and then the speed is capped to somewhere around 358kbps.

Therefore the max speed is relevant only for a relatively small amount of data.

Only CAT CMDA/EVDO seems to be without limitations.

What about the packages?

I understood all the operators have high speed data maximum of 3-5GB/month and then the speed is capped to somewhere around 358kbps.

Almost all the major mobile broadband service providers now implement fair-use speed limits ranging from 64 Kbps to 384 Kbps. AFAIK, only TOT and perhaps one of their resellers (MVNOs) remain the only provider which may still offer uncapped usage?

TrueMove H may offer the largest volume package at 10 GB (up and down) per month at 1,699 THB/month (before 7 % VAT). The fair-use speed limit 128 Kbps, according to one version of their website. Note that their websites are not necessarily the most professional, a bit like the parent company which remains run by third-rate management.

Speedtests are interesting data points but hardly the be all and end all; you need to look at voice quality, call completion, roaming, SMS delivery, customer service, self-service, account management, et al. True remains the #3 provider here for a reason.

Speedtests are interesting data points but hardly the be all and end all; you need to look at voice quality, call completion, roaming, SMS delivery, customer service, self-service, account management, et al. True remains the #3 provider here for a reason.

Agree. I should add that the main reason they work for me is the data. I rarely make or receive calls or SMS, if my friends don't have iMessages, they'll invariably have Viber, and I don't roam; their customer service sucks, but that's nothing unexpected, and apart from some early hiccups, I am able to apply the packages I want using their iPhone app. Others' mileage may vary, but for an iPad, they're definitely the way to go.

Agree. I should add that the main reason they work for me is the data. I rarely make or receive calls or SMS, if my friends don't have iMessages, they'll invariably have Viber, and I don't roam; their customer service sucks, but that's nothing unexpected, and apart from some early hiccups, I am able to apply the packages I want using their iPhone app. Others' mileage may vary, but for an iPad, they're definitely the way to go.

For data-only applications you may be better off with a SIM/plan from My CAT, same physical network, 590 baht - 4 GB - fair-use speed: 384 Kbps, or TOT, which now has nearly the same coverage as TureMove H/CAT, with a truly unlimited plan (no fair-use speed restrictions) of 790 baht. (TOT and their resellers have other plans as well.)

For data-only applications you may be better off with a SIM/plan from My CAT, same physical network, 590 baht - 4 GB - fair-use speed: 384 Kbps, or TOT, which now has nearly the same coverage as TureMove H/CAT, with a truly unlimited plan (no fair-use speed restrictions) of 790 baht. (TOT and their resellers have other plans as well.)

"But for an iPad, they're definitely the way to go" statement duly retracted. :)

Any idea how the TOT coverage is for Pattaya and surroundings?Their coverage site is completely in Thai and when I paste in google translate it doesn't show the antenna locations anymore.

Ok I figured it out where their antennas are in my area,so I have another question.What is the normal distance range from an antenna.

Edited by pipo1000

Any idea how the TOT coverage is for Pattaya and surroundings?Their coverage site is completely in Thai and when I paste in google translate it doesn't show the antenna locations anymore

http://www.i-bkk.com/ilocation/viewer/

Works for me?

What about the packages?

Almost all the major mobile broadband service providers now implement fair-use speed limits ranging from 64 Kbps to 384 Kbps. AFAIK, only TOT and perhaps one of their resellers (MVNOs) remain the only provider which may still offer uncapped usage?

TrueMove H may offer the largest volume package at 10 GB (up and down) per month at 1,699 THB/month (before 7 % VAT). The fair-use speed limit 128 Kbps, according to one version of their website. Note that their websites are not necessarily the most professional, a bit like the parent company which remains run by third-rate management.

Just checked that TOT does not have coverage on my home area in Phuket. I need to mobile connection as I still can not get an phone line to my home.

Few month back I checked that my usage is about 20GB/month, which include work, watching YouTube and overall browsing and system upgrades etc. No torrents.

CAT EVDO has been good enough for my usage for the last 3 years, but now they are going to ramp it down by the end of the year. Therefore I need an alternative. I'd like to stick with CAT as their customer service has been excellent.

But if that's not posible, then I guess buying two to three True H SIM's would be the solution. I expect transfer amount to go a bit higher with increased speed.

Any idea how the TOT coverage is for Pattaya and surroundings?Their coverage site is completely in Thai and when I paste in google translate it doesn't show the antenna locations anymore

http://www.i-bkk.com/ilocation/viewer/

Works for me?

And for me. Just 'x' that dialogue box and away you go!

Ye I got it also,but how do I know if the antenna is in my range,what is the usual range from an antenna.Is there anyway to check coverage without the need to buy a TOT sim first?

So what's your data on all those stats for TrueMoveH ? It looks like you are using a personal 2G experience and extrapolating it to 3G.

What's your stats for:

voice quality= assuming u have MOS score data already

call completion= drive test results

SMS delivery= what's ur data on this

customer service = what measures ? ABN ?, SLA, business and customer critical errors Rate over COPC recommended?

My personal experience is Dtac is better on self service, True is superior in 3G and smart phone support as they can tap their broad band know how, as earlier posts I have seen and do see drive test results, and DTAC is still behind in the 3G space

As per my earlier post, True has 3x more subs than DTAC according to speed test.net, so why are Dtac lagging badly if all is well w their 3G

Edited by skippybangkok

• 2 weeks later...

I had 3G reception from True on my iPhone 3GS in Vientiane back in the middle of February. I can only guess I was picking it up from Nong Khai. Either way, it worked fine there. As far as the new 3G H I got a move or else message a few days ago (Google translation):

True HD transfer, I invite you to use True True HD 3G because of the 3G services will be Shih True pretty soon. To continue to use 3G. Faster than ever and is available nationwide. The project's original appearance. With free bonus 100 minutes / month for 3 months to confirm the transfer of only one type and send SMS to 90022 (free) before 03/05/12 For more information or check out the pro's True HD www.trueiservice. .com / mnpfortruemove.

This the translation of the message I got on Friday (Google translation):

True HD to transfer you to use 3G service to continue to use 3G. Before migrate one day you will receive an SMS alert to get the power transfer. When you are finished. The signal on the screen may be missing. Or does not work as expected. Please restart the machine to start using True HD. Check the status of the transfer. www.trueiservice.com / mnpfortruemove.

You can go to their website and check (if you have their service now) your phone number and they will give you the details, 42 Mbps, price plan etc. They matched my previous iPhone 3G plan to the baht. I'll let you know when they finish the switch over how good (or bad) it is. Right now the net seems a little wonky here in Chiang Mai, I just ran a speed test and came up with download speeds of 4.34 - 4.96 Mbps

anyone staying on the old TrueMove trial network is a masochist IMHO

I migrated ipad in december, and after my holiday in Phuket, where the ipad had 3G ( even when sailing between phi phi and phuket) , and iphone 2G, i moved my iphone to TrueMove H too.

True switched me over to True-H this morning - total crap! My speeds are almost half of what they were, Truly pitiful.post-130091-0-79437200-1336700795_thumb.post-130091-0-83446400-1336700842_thumb.

I'm on Dtac 3G since the beginning of this month.I'm in very close range of the antenna as my signal shows at 80-90%.

Half of the time I will get only wdma signal.I thought Dtac was so much better then those Thai owned providers.

OP, have a chat to True in the shop, i am on unlimited 3G deal 599baht per month +VAT, includes i believe 300 minutes, 50 sms and 25 mms

You know unlimited is limited in Thailand?I guess at 599 Baht that will be 2 or maximum 2Gb.

OP, have a chat to True in the shop, i am on unlimited 3G deal 599baht per month +VAT, includes i believe 300 minutes, 50 sms and 25 mms

That may be the old, TrueMove iPhone package, aka "Freesize".

The new TrueMove H iPhone "Freesize" plan is still 599 with 300 minutes of voice calls, zero SMSes, zero MMSes, 2 GB of "unlimited" fair-use data with a speed limit of 384 Kbps. I think True wants to try and stop losing money, hence the re-packaging/pricing?

You know unlimited is limited in Thailand?I guess at 599 Baht that will be 2 or maximum 2Gb.

i was limited about 1 year ago, but totally unlimited for the past 8 months or so. May be i have not reached the quota :)

• 3 months later...

Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me what mifi device you are using?

I will be there for a month and am shopping for a device that I can use with prepaid SIM in Thailand, then hopefully also use back in US as well.

Assume you want to use 3G where available?

Which service provider would you use in the U.S.? This is important to understand as it will dictate which device(s) might be recommended.

Where do you want to purchase the device?

There aren't a lot of pre-paid GSM/3G data options in the U.S.: T-Mo on 1700/2100 or 1900 MHz or ATT on 850/1900 MHz.

A device like this may offer the broadest support given your requirements? http://www.totalaircard.com/products/Huawei-E5836S-MiFi-3G%28850%7B47%7D2100Mhz%29.html

Personally I like a unit like this: http://www.totalaircard.com/products/Huawei-B200-3G-Wireless-Router.html

• 11 months later...

OK I am sitting here with 34 mobile phones that I need to top-up for a project I am working on in Thailand so I have a couple of questions that maybe someone on TV can help me with .... I can top up phones from my Thai online bank account but looking at 34 numbers which means doing 34 individual adds with activation codes and then top up which includes more activation codes.. plus I am sure there is a limit of how many I can have a attached to my bank account which means I have to remove mobile numbers to add mobile numbers.. anyway you see my drift... so..

question #1 is there a service or process that can help me streamline topping up 34 mobile phones?

Question #2 How does AIS count your data usage for their 3G service.. Actually all I want to know is uploaded data counted and deducted from the total allowed for the package you purchases ie.. 1G for 350 THB.. which as most of you know is 1 gigabit data for 30 days... You use less OK but no rollover, if you use more then the 1 gigabit before the 30 days are up you roll into their Edge/ GSM service.. So.. Is Uploaded data counted?

TIA

Question #2: all service providers here count both upload and download towards any cap. AIS's 350/1 GB plan is hard-capped so you'll pay when you exceed 1 GB, maybe by the minute or MB. There are plans which offer unlimited internet usage, albeit with a speed limit of 64 Kbps ~ 256 Kbps once you exceed your cap. I think there might be a 1GB/64 Kbps FuP package for 399 baht?

If all 34 numbers are with the same service provider I would contact that service provider to see what arrangements can be made to streamline account management.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all you mobile data experts in TV land... The assignment with the 34 smart phones is over... Getting data plans on the phone using the USSD codes was easy but what was confusing was the 3G service as I could not tell what service the phones where on the old 850 or the new 2100 3G. Now as most of you know apparently to get moved to the new 3G 2100 you need to provide some sort of ID number, Thai or Passport... Frustrating.. But without getting into all that I have a simple question.. How do you know if the mobile is using the old or new 3G? What would be the icon next to the signal strength bars? I have been plowing through the Play Store for the last hour and half trying to find an app that shows in real time what frequency the mobile is using.. Lots of apps that can trend by EDGE, HSDPA, HSPAP... But none that I have tried so far shows what band the mobile is using as I would really like to know if it is connected to the new 2100 or ever was as in reviewing the trending data.. I am currently using DTAC but also have an AIS SIM installed in my backup mobile..So to sum this up

1. What icon will be displayed when connected to a 2100 3G service?

2. What does the new 2100 3G use HSDPA or HSPAP?

3. Can anyone recommended a android app that can show what frequency the mobile is using for data?

TIA

Chances are that unless you purchased a SIM recently, and it was not labeled 2100, that you are not on 2100 MHz.

Which service provider(s) are you talking about?

1. Most phones will not display a unique 2100 MHz identifier; you'll see H, or H+

2. I think HSPA+/HSDPA; does it matter?

3. Some Android phones have service menues which allow one to determine which UMTS band might be being utilized. Just Google the model and "Secret code". http://www.softwaresenior.com/blog/57-samsung-galaxy-secret-code

*#*#4636#*#*

*#*#197328640#*#*

LTE Setting is a one click app which might take you into a service menu? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ru426.android.lte_settingforgx&hl=en then use the Menu, Select radio band.

I'm on DTAC Trinet and have a Samsung S4 (I9500)... when dialing *#0011# it pulls up a Service Mode in my S4 which shows various things to include which frequency I'm on at the moment...such at 2100Mhz Band 1, 850Mhz Band 5, or 1800Mhz. However, if you happen to have an S4 also that code may or may not work...or show the frequency. In another thread talking about TriNet I mentioned how dialer code *#0011# worked for me; but for another person with a S4 (I9500) who was on AIS that dialer code did indeed pull up the service menu I was getting showing a bunch of info, but his service menu "did not" show the frequency. So, I expect the carrier you are on and what "informational coding" they are including in their signal will also determine what a certain service mode would show you.

And from looking at various blogs it has become obvious to me that the firmware loaded by your particular carrier...say you had a phone locked to AT&T...then that would also determine what dialer codes may or may not work on your phone and the different service menus you could pull up.

And each phone model seems to have it's own set of dialer codes/service-info menus....dialer codes that work on say one Samsung model may not work on another model...in fact, I shouldn't even say "may" as X-amount of the codes won't work due to different hardware, firmware, capabilities, etc., of each phone.

I too have looked for that magic App that might show the frequency you are connected to....but haven't found it...but as mentioned the *#0011# dialer code shows that info for me...and remember, I'm on DTAC...if you are on AIS, True, etc., they may not be transmitting "frequency info" with their signal. Since so many Apps really just issue basic commands/codes that pull up info from the phone...like battery status...Wifi status...etc...etc...etc....and then present it in a pretty way.....and since those commands/codes can vary greatly from model to model....manufacturer to manufacturer....I don't thing that magic App exists. I know I haven't been able to find it on Google Play....but if you find it be sure to tell us about it.

I'm on DTAC Trinet and have a Samsung S4 (I9500)... when dialing *#0011# it pulls up a Service Mode in my S4 which shows various things to include which frequency I'm on at the moment...such at 2100Mhz Band 1, 850Mhz Band 5, or 1800Mhz. However, if you happen to have an S4 also that code may or may not work...or show the frequency. In another thread talking about TriNet I mentioned how dialer code *#0011# worked for me; but for another person with a S4 (I9500) who was on AIS that dialer code did indeed pull up the service menu I was getting showing a bunch of info, but his service menu "did not" show the frequency. So, I expect the carrier you are on and what "informational coding" they are including in their signal will also determine what a certain service mode would show you.

And from looking at various blogs it has become obvious to me that the firmware loaded by your particular carrier...say you had a phone locked to AT&T...then that would also determine what dialer codes may or may not work on your phone and the different service menus you could pull up.

And each phone model seems to have it's own set of dialer codes/service-info menus....dialer codes that work on say one Samsung model may not work on another model...in fact, I shouldn't even say "may" as X-amount of the codes won't work due to different hardware, firmware, capabilities, etc., of each phone.

I too have looked for that magic App that might show the frequency you are connected to....but haven't found it...but as mentioned the *#0011# dialer code shows that info for me...and remember, I'm on DTAC...if you are on AIS, True, etc., they may not be transmitting "frequency info" with their signal. Since so many Apps really just issue basic commands/codes that pull up info from the phone...like battery status...Wifi status...etc...etc...etc....and then present it in a pretty way.....and since those commands/codes can vary greatly from model to model....manufacturer to manufacturer....I don't thing that magic App exists. I know I haven't been able to find it on Google Play....but if you find it be sure to tell us about it.

Thank you Mr Pib! This code worked just as you described for me.. I am using DTAC and have a Samsung Note2... And it shows I am currently on 850 Band5 which I am sure is the old 3G... I have been trying to get on the new 3G for over a month now... And yes they gave me a new SIM and got my personal info from my Thai Drivers license at the DTAC shop at the Lotus shopping center on Pattaya Nui but where too busy I was told to put me on the new 3G network.. So I ended up at the DTAC shop in the Big C extra center on Pattaya Klang where they took my passport number and enter something in their computer system and... Then told my GF there is many many customers in the que and when (or if?) my request gets processed I would receive a SMS stating I was now on the new Trinet 3G.. This was about a week or so ago and I am still waiting for that SMS... My current download speed using the "speed test.net" app is roughly 500Kb down and 350Kb up.. Thanks again for this Mr. PIb... Btw, Can you tell me what percentage of time you stay connected @ 2100Mhz?