A Place For One Month In Chiang Mai?

TravelTeach

Hi all,

I'll be coming to Chiang Mai the third week of June for a month. I'd like to rent a place for the duration of my stay. Ideally the place will have a balcony, a pool, and be relatively peacful inside the "square mile" (sorry, I don't know the proper term. Moat?)

I stayed at SK House before and it was OK. But they frowned somewhat on friends dropping by. Also it was a bit too noisy. I would like to find a place that is more of an apartment than anything. I believe their monthly rate was 6000.

I'd pay up to 10,000 if it was a decent place.

Thoughts? Thank you all for your time.

TT

Smith residence is on just on the outside of the moat not sure about a pool

Another with a pool is Royal Lanna. They do monthly rates at about 6000 and are within walking distance to the moat in the heart of the night market.

Smith Residence has a small pool it is located on the roof so you can sunbath there. Not to sure about the balcony. I know the one's with a bedroom do but you are looking at the 18,000 Baht range for them. It is located about a two or three minute walk just outside of the Chiang Mai Gate on the south side of the city.

The Royal Lanna has a decent pool but there is only one floor with balconies and they will not rent them out on a monthly rate. They have studios that they rent out at 6,500 baht if you have your own TV and Fridge if not it is 7,500 baht a month. But I believe they only rent those out at a minimum of three months. Not sure.

They are right behind the Burger King in the Night Bazaar about a ten minute walk to the moat.

A word to the wise both and for a matter of fact all buildings can get awfully hot in the afternoons this time of the year.

Thanks very much guys. Yeah, I did stop by the Smith Residence the last time I was there, but I didn't think much of the rooms for the price range.

I'll check out the other places though. Sakorn and the Dome sound interesting

re .

i use veeracahi court or downtown inn

the downtown inn is closed for repairs .. renovation at the mo !

and will open again ?

Veerachai court has no pool or balconies and is about 5,500 a month five minute walk to the old city.

It would seem no one has any suggestions for inside the old city the OP had asked for.

dave2

The sign says they will open for Loi Kertong.

It's interesting going through the Chiang Mai forum, because it seems that the longer people live in CM, the less they want to live in the old city. Would that make sense for someone just there for a month? Like I said, I've been to the old city and liked it. But the north west part of town does have a lot of cheap places. Yet, is it western-friendly? I don't want to spend my month off hunting down restaurants where I'll be understood. Unfortunately, my Thai is poor.

If your budget is 10.000 THB for a month in June it might be well worth checking out Hotels/Guesthouse as well.

Before I lived here permanently I used to go up and down from Europe and stay 4-6 weeks each time and I found it really hard to rent something descent for less than 3 months in a row.

Some hotels will give a great monthly rate if for that hotel this month is a slow month.

Seems to be different period (except during the great festivals and holidays) for each hotel so you will need to do some intensive "research"

Thanks very much KhunVee. Yeah, I'd take it to 10,000 if the place is decent. I mean for me staying somewhere for a month that's OK and saving a hundred dollars doesn't make sense if that extra 100 will make me feel fantastic. A vacation is a vacation.

• Like 1

Thanks very much KhunVee. Yeah, I'd take it to 10,000 if the place is decent. I mean for me staying somewhere for a month that's OK and saving a hundred dollars doesn't make sense if that extra 100 will make me feel fantastic. A vacation is a vacation.

Agreed there was a time when I preferred the money to accommodations now I am old and look for comfort in my travels. If I have to be a cheap charlie I just don't bother going.

• 2 weeks later...