Best Way For Thai Gf To Have Baby In Uk?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmm good point, I'm intending to get dual nationality by registering the birth at the UK embassey, not sure how that will affect things in the future!!

Dual nationality is 100% certain as it will be the child of a Thai (irrespective of birth in the UK or Thailand). Just bear in mind my last post as there are 2 kinds of UK citizenships. For Thailand make sure you are MARRIED before birth.

Edited by AngryParent

It would seem your best option is to forget about her coming on a visitor visa and for you to return to thailand a,s,a,p. get married and apply for settlement visa, So as long as her english is good for A1 part of the requirements for settlement visa if not get her learning now

Don't make it clear that she is pregnant on application as there's no need to mention it

It would seem your best option is to forget about her coming on a visitor visa and for you to return to thailand a,s,a,p. get married and apply for settlement visa, So as long as her english is good for A1 part of the requirements for settlement visa if not get her learning now

Don't make it clear that she is pregnant on application as there's no need to mention it

What is the qualifying period or Visa requirement for a 'newcomer' to the UK to qualify for free NHS ... the ability to have a baby at no cost under the UK free hospital system?

Does a 'rushed' marriage in Thailand a better outcome then 'free' childbirth in the UK?

What happens if the UK Settlement Visa is delayed, or worse, declined?

I'm an Aussie hence maybe the inexact terms used above, but trying to understand your system over there.

In Australia, there are exceptions, but the general wait for receiving government benefits including Medicare (free hospital) is 104 weeks ... 2 years.

Mmmm good point, I'm intending to get dual nationality by registering the birth at the UK embassey, not sure how that will affect things in the future!!

Dual nationality is 100% certain as it will be the child of a Thai (irrespective of birth in the UK or Thailand). Just bear in mind my last post as there are 2 kinds of UK citizenships. For Thailand make sure you are MARRIED before birth.

Isn't it more important to recognised as the parent of the child then the husband of the Thai woman?

If you do have the child together in Thailand and NOT married (legally) at the time, make sure you read one of the Mod's posts ... how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father http://www.thaivisa....ts-as-a-father/ ... just because you are on the birth certificate doesn't equate to recognised as the 'legal' Father.

Edited by David48

David48, There's no qualifiying period on settlement visa for nhs in the uk

She can travel easily upto 28 weeks into pregnancy which should give her enough time for visa to be prossessed

Tigger01 will be able to claim child benifit from the birth of the child and put in a claim for child tax relief

all that's needed is to get her a national insurance no, when she goes to the uk

Settlement Visa is unlikely to be declined as they have granted her a visit visa already

Isn't it more important to recognised as the parent of the child then the husband of the Thai woman?

If one is married at the time of the birth the husband is recognized as the father. To go backwards and try and be recognized after the birth is complicated and invlolves legal action.

I might be wrong so please double check this yourself.

I think that a visa valid for six months means that she will be able to enter the uk anytime in those six months and get a three month stamp (duration of stay) on her passport so she can stay for three months then the visa will expire.

So, for example, if she enters in May, her duration of stay will be until August ie three months later, then she will have to leave.

So if you do get her there in August then she would be able to stay past September until November.

Again I might be only familiar with the old rules so don't take my word for it. This happened to me before with Ireland, I went there in January, my visa was going to expire in february. Thought I had to return because my "visa" expired but the entry stamp said I could stay another two months.

Good luck. And I do apologize in advance if my post was redundant and BS!

I'm afraid that you are wrong.

Many years ago a UK visit visa was valid for 6 months from the date it was first used to enter the UK. This was changed at least 10 years ago so that now it is valid for 6 months from the date of issue; although the valid from date can be post dated for up to 3 months after this.

With respect, the Republic of Ireland is not part of the UK and their visa rules and procedures have no bearing on those of the UK.

Ah I see. Thanks for informing me about this. :)

Thanks again to al. Having seen the cost of a settllement visa, I want to be sure that she'll be granted the visa so I think it's best to stick to my plan stated earlier, let her come to the UK in 3 weeks time, return to Thailand for 4 to 6 weeks, then let her come to the UK for a second 4 week stay, that way, it proves that she will come and go as stated. I can then go to Thailand for the birth in December, make preperations to get married, apply for a settlement visa, then return a month or two later and hopefully return to the UK with her?? By doing this, it proves we have a good relationship so the settlement visa should be granted on first application?

• Like 1

Tigger01 ... my comment about awesome first post was tongue in cheek. We get quite a few through here who are bored and just want to pull the chain, they post once or twice, get lot's of replies then dissapear ... you have proved different.

From an outsiders perspective a really sensible plan you have outlined above.

Just remember to not only be on the birth certificate but also recoginised as the legal father and there's heaps of posts pointing to that stuff over in the Famly Forum.

My Lassie has just returned back her job and Thailand after her second visit (to Australia).

Come over and say hello on our thread ... fish-and-shrimp-farm ... http://www.thaivisa....nd-shrimp-farm/

Dive into some of the other sections here on the Thai Visa Forum and this place really is a mine of information full of helpful people and how do we say ... some more colourful ones with even more colourful attitudes.

When you have gone through all the processes, come back and share them with us because a lot of guys learn from reading from the sidelines (as I did) before actually posting. I say below 'your last post', but it's in jest, just a nice way to finish.

So let me go off and enjoy my modest size piece of Humble Pie and let me congratulate you on an awesome last post ... thumbsup.gif

David48 cowboy.gif

Thank you David, I will indeed spend some time reading other posts on here, I can see that there is a lot of info and hopefully, I will update you all and perhaps be of some use to other newbies!! I do have another question though that I know someone will answer with ease, to get a settlement visa, I know she needs to do an A1 English test, is this something she does in Thailand or is it an assessment she has to take at the UK embassey or VFS?? I'm asuming its a certificate she has to get froman approved "college" or "learning centre" in Thailand?? So I guess they are in all major cities?

I know she needs to do an A1 English test, is this something she does in Thailand or is it an assessment she has to take at the UK embassey or VFS?? I'm asuming its a certificate she has to get froman approved "college" or "learning centre" in Thailand??

Yes she will do the test in Thailand at an approved test centre, not the embassy or VFS

So I guess they are in all major cities?

No, there are only three centres within Thailand and all are in Bangkok. The most popular seems to be the BULATS (business language) test offered by Vantage Siam

Although she will be unable to study whilst in the UK as a visitor, she could take the English test!

This may save some time and running around once she is back in Thailand, although the test fee will probable be higher in the UK than Thailand.

List of approved providers, with contact details.

In case you ask; no, she cannot have the TB test done in the UK, this must be done in Thailand.

You may find UK Settlement Visa Basics useful.

Thanks very much Toddmeister and great idea from 7by7!! She is able to speak English but I wouldn't say she is fluent, I know it says A1 is basic English so how basic is basic?? Difficult question to answer I suppose but I do speak to her on the phone every day and we communicate pretty well albeit there are sometimes when we give up trying to explain something!! She also emails me in English, again pretty basic stuff.

Very basic, "Hello, my name is, what's yours? Where is the station? How much are these bananas?" sort of stuff.

If she can hold a conversation in English with you then she should have no problems with the test.

CEFR A1 definition:-

A1

Can understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type. Can introduce him/herself and others and can ask and answer questions about personal details such as where he/she lives, people he/she knows and things he/she has. Can interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help

Although she will be unable to study whilst in the UK as a visitor, she could take the English test!

This may save some time and running around once she is back in Thailand, although the test fee will probable be higher in the UK than Thailand.

The Trinity College GESE test at A1 standard, grade 2 pass required a settlement visa, the cost of this test is £75, a lot cheaper than doing a test in Thailand. The test is speaking/listening only and last for about 5 or 6 minutes, there are some videos of the test on the website. My wife took the test in January, she was a visit visa and passed the test. It's on page 13, the last page of the UKBA approved tests.

http://www.trinityco...uk/site/?id=368

Edited by tribalfusion001

If she is applying for a settlement Visa she will have to have a chest xray, she should declare that she is pregnant before. as advised.

Again, Thank you all for the info, having seen how basic it is, I think she'll be OK. Tribalfusion, thanks for that info, I'll have a look at the link and I'll get her to take the test here then!! Will update you all when I know more.

• Like 1

Again, Thank you all for the info, having seen how basic it is, I think she'll be OK. Tribalfusion, thanks for that info, I'll have a look at the link and I'll get her to take the test here then!! Will update you all when I know more.

I looked at quite a few English tests and Trinity GESE test seemed to the best, it's a shame they don't have it Thailand.

If she is applying for a settlement Visa she will have to have a chest xray, she should declare that she is pregnant before. as advised.

No TB test is done at the I,O,M, she would only need to tell them that she was pregnant as not to x-ray and to do sputum test instead, there's no need to add it to visa application

That she is pregnant by her sponsor is a material fact, and not mentioning it in any visa application, visit or settlement, could be deemed deception and so result not only in a refusal but also a ban on applying again.

The golden rule in any visa application must be to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

N.B. If her TB certificate shows that the result had been obtained via sputum tests due to pregnancy this would be a bit of a hint to the ECO!

• Like 2

Tigger01, a thought.

The two of you could marry while she is in the UK as a visitor. She couldn't convert her visit visa to settlement in the UK, but it would mean that when she returns to Thailand she can then apply for settlement as your wife rather than your fiance. This would save an FLR application and it's fee.

See Getting married or registering a civil partnership in the UK

That she is pregnant by her sponsor is a material fact, and not mentioning it in any visa application, visit or settlement, could be deemed deception and so result not only in a refusal but also a ban on applying again.

The golden rule in any visa application must be to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

N.B. If her TB certificate shows that the result had been obtained via sputum tests due to pregnancy this would be a bit of a hint to the ECO!

When my wife applied in 2010 when pregnant for settlement there was no question are you pregnant on the form,If question is not asked then how can you tell an untruth so could not be deemed as deception

The following wording appears in the declaration signed by all applicants, no matter the type of visa applied for or form used:-

............The information I have given is complete and true to the best of my knowledge...............

........I am also aware that my application will be automatically refused and I may be banned from going to the UK for 10 years if I use a false document, lie or withhold relevant information. I may also be banned if I have breached immigration laws in the UK. I am further aware that should I use a false document, lie or withhold relevant information my details may be passed to law enforcement agencies............(my emphasis)

You may not consider the fact that the applicant for a visa is pregnant by her sponsor to be a relevant information, but I bet the ECO will think differently.

If a question is not directly asked but there is information which may be relevant to the application, then that is what the 'Additional Information' box is for.

That you didn't mention your wife's pregnancy and got away with it does not mean other applicants will be so lucky.

I should add, though, that pregnancy would be less of an issue in a settlement application than in a visit one. Indeed, in a settlement application it might even help!

• Like 1

If one is married at the time of the birth the husband is recognized as the father. To go backwards and try and be recognized after the birth is complicated and invlolves legal action.

sorry have to disagree i was not married when our daughter was born and i got her a british citizen passport just this year and she is 6yrs old now, however we were married within one year of the childs birth, my name was on her birth certificate when the missus registered the baby at amphur though and also on the hospital birth certificate, so if you have the baby in thailand there is no problem getting child a brit p,port after as long as you have the correct paperwork, i applied and got her passport back in less than 3 weeks, first time passports can still be done at uk embassy in bkok. And baby having a brit passport is more of a help than a hinderance when you apply for your girlfriend(wife's fiancee's) uk visa, best of luck with everything tigger hope it all goes well, if you want more info about paperwork for childs passport pm me.

The Trinity College GESE test at A1 standard, grade 2 pass required a settlement visa, the cost of this test is £75, a lot cheaper than doing a test in Thailand. The test is speaking/listening only and last for about 5 or 6 minutes, there are some videos of the test on the website. My wife took the test in January, she was a visit visa and passed the test. It's on page 13, the last page of the UKBA approved tests.

http://www.trinityco...uk/site/?id=368

have to agree my wife did the two TOEIC tests in bkok speaking and writing and listening and reading and they cost 5000baht over 100quid and she checked the BULATS price and that one was about 7000baht 150quid plus dont know where your GF is but for my missus return travel from phuket to bkok and a night in a hotel another 5000baht 100quid, so if you can get her to do the test in the uk go for it save yourself a few quid cos you'll need your dosh when the baby arrives for sure. Edited by moonbarman