Gluten Free

butterisbetter

Butter is Better is now offering gluten-free pancake mix for sale at the Chang Klan store. Our daughter couldn't tell the difference between pancakes made with our gluten free mix and our regular pancake mix. The cost of a 400 gram container is 79 Baht. That's enough to make anywhere from 12-18 pancakes.An 800 gram container is 139 baht.

Also, you can order any of our sandwiches and have them made with gluten free bread at no extra charge.

What is the advantage of Gluten free bread and pancake mix?

Also does it no0t have a shorter shelf life?

For people who don't have a problem with digesting gluten, no advantage. For those who do, such as celiacs, plenty.

As for shelf life, there's nothing in the mix that would be any more degradable than whatever is in a wheat based pancake mix.

It's good that Gluten free products are now being offered here in Sunny Chiang Mai. However, I could start a serious discussion about wheat and grain (oats, barley, etc) free products that are so necessary for 'O' blood group people. O blood group peeps are OK with rice and it astounds me that in this land of rice fields it is very difficult to find rice-based cereal products for breakfast. Rice crispies are OK but in the UK I can buy a load of different rice based products which I seem unable to do here. What I can get is cheap soya milk which makes it easier to avoid dairy products, another essential for O blood group folk.

Although regarded by some as a crank idea, eating according to your blood group eliminates ibs and reduces the risk of certain kinds of stomach cancer, cfs and so on. Believe me, it works. It is also a good way of reducing weight and living on this kind of diet means that by the time they are 40 or so most men would not go around looking as if they are pregnant with these massive bellies. So good on you Butter is Better for thinking along Gluten free lines .... just extend your thinking a bit more!

ianf...

Interesting to read what you say. Could i ask you the basis for your confidence about wheat oats barley and dairy products being no good for O type people? When i did my research it seemed that everything on eating to your blood type kept on coming back to dr d'damo (sp?). I have to say that more recently i came across lectins being discussed in relation to blood types which at least had more than one source talking about food compatibility with blood types.

And to the op, what is this gluten-free pancake mix made from? And which country is it from?

The ingredients in the mix are:

Rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, baking powder,sugar, salt, xanthan gum.

We make the mix ourselves here in Chiang Mai. The potato starch is from the Netherlands. Don't know if the xanthan gum is from Thailand or elsewhere. All the other ingredients are Thai. The amount of sugar in the mix is very small. The pancakes don't taste at all sweet. They also don't have any of that artificial vanilla flavor that is usually found in commercial pancake mixes. I don't like that flavor at all. But lots of people do.