Bangkok District To Live

Datebayo

Hi,

I am still contemplating in which are to live in Bangok for 1 year. I know for certain that I do not want to live in the busy silom or sukhumit area. So I came down to these three districts to choose from. Anyone can mention some details about these neighboorhoods and your preference? Location is not really important to me, as I figured I can be anywhere with the BTS/MRT/riverboats. So preferably closeby a BTS/MRT.

1. Ladprao/Pahonyothin/ari

2. Higher sukhumvit, Onnut and further. What about Udomsuk, not much info on the internet about this new developing neighboorhood with the new BTS line.

3. rathadaphisek

So which of these area's do you prefer to live, and why.

Thank you.

Ladprao/Pahonyothin/ari are much busier than the quieter areas of Silom. So if you don't want busy, cross those areas off your list.

Nonsense.

Depending on what part of the Paholyothin or Ladprao area you choose, there are many quiet sois and every level of service available, from very little (deep in the soi) to frenetic (nearer major intersections). What there isn't is a big farang ghetto, as in Silom or Sukhumvit. Ari and the area around Victory Monument are MUCH busier, and have seen an influx of the more adventurous tourists, who are utterly annoying (at least to me).

To live in the quieter neighborhoods, however, you should know some serviceable level of Thai, and be prepared to take motorcycle taxis everywhere, or get a bicycle or motorbike, since the nearest stores are likely to be too far to walk. As always, having a look around will be the best way to find something well located, and well-priced. Forget Craigslist or other classified ads, unless you want to pay big money for little value.

Look in the sois on Ladprao, east or west of the Ladprao MRT, and you may find something good. I like the area because it's quiet, but close to the subway, which also has motorcycle and bicycle parking.

As for upper Sukhumvit, inflation has already hit, since the anticipation of the BTS extension, and now that it's in operation, prices are going up fast. Pretty plastic area, if you ask me. Ratchadapisek IS busy, especially in Huay Kwang, but, really, all the way from Rama 9 to Sutthisan. A nice area might be around the Saphan Kwai BTS, which is an interesting part of Bangkok, with plenty of services available, but maybe more busy than you prefer.

Good luck.

Ladprao/Pahonyothin/ari are much busier than the quieter areas of Silom. So if you don't want busy, cross those areas off your list.

What there isn't is a big farang ghetto, as in Silom or Sukhumvit.

LOL. When I'm out an about in Silom less than 1% of the people I see are farang. Certainly not a farang ghetto. Have you have been to Silom?

@ Sateev

Thanks for your very informative reply.

I do not mind if it's busy, as long as it is not crowded all the time like silom and lower sukhumvit.

Saphan kwai looks interesting and easily to reach transportation I guess

Out of the OP's list, I'd suggest Udomsuk - it offers an interesting balance, but skip to the end to see my overall recommendation.

You could find a condo to rent very close to the new BTS line - 10k/month for a 32sqm unit (ball-park figure, but expect people to try it on). You'll then be a short walk away from a very enjoyable BTS ride to anywhere decent that Bangkok has to offer. Conversely, for as little as 12baht you could take a van down Udomsuk road; it crosses over Srinakarin Road with the Seacon and Paradise Park malls (a mini-version of Central World) and becomes Chalermprakiat Road with the beautiful Rama 9 park. This park is incredible, you can easily forget you are in the capital; there are boating lakes, a museum, an outdoor gym, a botanical gardens and a bit further down is the watersports park where, for a flat fee you can enjoy rowing and wind-sailing.

Alternatively, you could live in the nice serviced apartment opposite the park, 8k for a 72sq/m room (forget the name), but it's next to a mini-shopping mall with a Big C, several banks, an opticians, S&P and Scoozie pizza restaurant. I would stay here for a year; the air and the views are better and cleaner and you are a 12b van-ride away from Udomsuk BTS.

• Like 2

Last post got cut off...

...predominantly Thai area, which has many benefits.

Also, it is only about 25 min drive to Sukhumvit (outside of rush hour). Finally, i am only about 20 min drive to the airport.

Hope that helps.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great!

So if you had to choose between Saphan kwai and on nut, which district would you chose to live, and why?

Dont know much about Saphan Kwai but On Nut is a shithole.

Totally disagree with On Nut being a shit hole. I have lived here for 1 year and enjoy the location. I have a Tesco-Lotus connected to the On Nut BTS station and a Big C only a 15 minute walk away. Also, about 8 new condos are being built in the area. There is also the On Nut beer garden on Sukhumvit which I went to once and decided it was not for me. However, I am quite pleased with the amenities available in the area.

I live in Muang Thong Thani (impact) its a pleasent enviroment, all shoppingfacilities nearby (Central, Tesco, BigC, BigC Extra, HomePro, Makro, Foodland, Tops, VillaMarket, good connections by minivan to downtown,Near Expressway(take 40 minutes in rush hour to Saladaeng), numerous restaurants and last but not least the rental is more than 50% lower than downtown. I pay fora 85m² 2 Bed en bathroom 13500 THB per month all inclusive exept electric.

Its a typical Thai middle class enviroment, with few western expats.

http://www.mttbkk.com/index.htm

This website is a litle bit outdatet but give you some Idea.

Edited by henryalleman

Out of the OP's list, I'd suggest Udomsuk - it offers an interesting balance, but skip to the end to see my overall recommendation.

You could find a condo to rent very close to the new BTS line - 10k/month for a 32sqm unit (ball-park figure, but expect people to try it on). You'll then be a short walk away from a very enjoyable BTS ride to anywhere decent that Bangkok has to offer. Conversely, for as little as 12baht you could take a van down Udomsuk road; it crosses over Srinakarin Road with the Seacon and Paradise Park malls (a mini-version of Central World) and becomes Chalermprakiat Road with the beautiful Rama 9 park. This park is incredible, you can easily forget you are in the capital; there are boating lakes, a museum, an outdoor gym, a botanical gardens and a bit further down is the watersports park where, for a flat fee you can enjoy rowing and wind-sailing.

Alternatively, you could live in the nice serviced apartment opposite the park, 8k for a 72sq/m room (forget the name), but it's next to a mini-shopping mall with a Big C, several banks, an opticians, S&P and Scoozie pizza restaurant. I would stay here for a year; the air and the views are better and cleaner and you are a 12b van-ride away from Udomsuk BTS.

The more I read about Srinakarin and the Rama 9 area the more I want to check it. Can you suggest any condo or moo baans in the area?

Thanks for your post thumbsup.gif

RAZZ

Totally disagree with On Nut being a shit hole. I have lived here for 1 year and enjoy the location. I have a Tesco-Lotus connected to the On Nut BTS station and a Big C only a 15 minute walk away. Also, about 8 new condos are being built in the area. There is also the On Nut beer garden on Sukhumvit which I went to once and decided it was not for me. However, I am quite pleased with the amenities available in the area.

Its dirty, traffic is congested and there are a lot of unpleasant characters around. However, if you find that having 2 bargain basement supermarkets and 8 shoebox condos you dont live in makes the area enjoyable for you then who am I to say anything.

I live in Bang Kapi, off of Ramkhamheang just opposite of Bang Kapi Mall. Lumpini Ville Condos. 12,500 thb / month covers rent, electric, internet, gold true cable, and water. 45 sqm one bedroom apartment with a proper kitchen (electric stove and hood), washing machine on balcony, on 17th floor. Amenities within complex include pool, big fitness area, sauna, steam-room, 24 hr mini-mart, barbershop, laundry, dry-clean shop, 2x coffee shops, 2x restaurants. Hourly shuttle service to mall and airport link. BTS/MRT are no where near, but the Saen Saeb canal is across the road and for 20 thb it can take me all the way to Central world or many places in between ie Ramkamhaeng Station (airport link), Petchaburi MRT etc., and a hell of a lot faster than a taxi could. A lot of great street food and restaurants around plus Tesco, Big C, Villa, Foodland, Tops, HomePro, 4x Cinemas. Mall has a bowling alley and waterpark too. Plus all the eye candy from Ramkamhaeng University ain't too bad either!!!!

Edited by tjhorner

I would not recommend On-Nut, too congested and it is dirty, but you cannot knock the amenities near by. An earlier post about Udom Suk was good, and the further you get away from the Sukhumvit and cross over the Sinarkarin rd, that area is nice. I live near the junction of Bang-Na/ Sinarkarin and would recommend it but for some people still a little far from BTS ( 10 mins if traffic is ok )

I likely will start a job very close to the Grand Palace in July or August. I am looking for a small apartment or studio, nothing fancy. I am not into clubs, drinking, etc. I prefer to live close to work to avoid commuting, but don't know anything about that area of the city. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I likely will start a job very close to the Grand Palace in July or August. I am looking for a small apartment or studio, nothing fancy. I am not into clubs, drinking, etc. I prefer to live close to work to avoid commuting, but don't know anything about that area of the city. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Across the river. There are some bargains there and a boat ride to work can be nice.

Across the river. There are some bargains there and a boat ride to work can be nice.

Thanks. Does that mean that on the Grand Palace side is undesirable?

Are there any parks in the Nana area?

There is Chewit Gardens between soi 8 and 10 and then Benjasiri park between soi 22 and 24.

except chuwit gardens is closed from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm daily. it is open about 2 hrs on either side of those times.

There is also the whole of sirikit park, which can be accessed from the end of soi 10, in near the convention center

Edited by tinfoilhat

Are there any parks in the Nana area?

There is Chewit Gardens between soi 8 and 10 and then Benjasiri park between soi 22 and 24.

except chuwit gardens is closed from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm daily. it is open about 2 hrs on either side of those times.

There is also the whole of sirikit park, which can be accessed from the end of soi 10, in near the convention center

Always seems to be open when I walk past at different times of the day.

Thanks. Does that mean that on the Grand Palace side is undesirable?

Not sure about accommodation near the GP. It's unfortunate the BTS/MRT don't serve this area.

Just thinking a boat to work might be nice and you get more apartment for the money over there.