Meditation Bell, Where-O-Where To Find...

Soulwy

I am looking for a meditation bell.

A standard one is fine, but I wouldn't mind if it comes with a (hi)story (old, from a certain temple or something like that)

Am also interested in singing bowls.

Thank you!

post-67111-0-18637300-1336066021_thumb.j

post-67111-0-58570900-1336066332_thumb.j

There's a shop on Loi Khroh Road that sells all those kind of things. Coming from moat past Raming Lodge before Wat Pantong on right hand side just before a BKK Bank ATM. An army surplus kind of shop next door.

Is there such a thing as a Thai singing bowl. Must admit I've never heard of it.

Not so sure Thai monks use the small cymbals either.

you're right it's not part of the culture here at all but, as pointed out, if the OP wants one they are on Loi Khroh but I don't think they are specifically for 'meditation' more a focusing agent and some use them for 'space clearing' etc.

Can't be specific but these cymbals and bowls are extremely common and relatively inexpensive throughout India - hence , would recommend a contact with any of the Indian shop-keepers at Wororot Market area for directions to a good supplier.

I have previously owned cymbals as well as "singing bowls" and it is the quality of the bell-metal that is all important rather than it's previous owner's fame/infamy which will have no bearing whatsoever on the vibrations and resonance of the instrument. In fact, there is absolutely nothing to indicate that older bell-metal is any better than new since it is (or should be) all crafted by hand. Experience passed down through the ages will actually produce a far better quality in modern bell-metal. You will know immediately by the sound.

As a tip;- remember, also, that the striker of the bowl should be carefully selected in order to produce that wonderful sound.

Good luck.

Cheers.

Edited by SwaziBird

CMSally, Udonguy, Basinboy, Swazibird:

Thank you so much for the info.

Loi Kroh has 2 shops, across 7-11 there's a little shop with only bowls.

The other one a little farther away (coming from the moat) has meditation bells as well. The guy told me about the bowls, some were machine made, others handmade. These were made out of old bowls (recycled material)

The bowls are from Tibet, but I am not sure if this is the truth (as we tend to value bowls from Tibet holier than those from other countries, so it is saleswise easier to market them as Tibetan bowls) I wouldn't be surprised if they were from Nepal or India. Prices are around 1,500 baht for the smaller handmade ones (around 13 cm). Depending on the weight. The bigger shop also has older bowls.

With the traffic in front of the shops it was difficult to hear the sounds well. I think I need more time and effort to find 'the one' wink.png

Thanks again!

Bells, dorjes, cymbals, malas, mantras, mandalas, yantras, all the paraphernalia grafted onto Buddhism as it was distorted by absorption with Vedic/Hinduism, and, later Tantric developments, etc., are "spiritual schlock," but I used to enjoy the lovely sound of the very small bell that was struck to signal the start, and end, of the meditation period at the Berkeley Zendo (an offshoot of Suzuki Roshi's San Francisco base), way back when. It defined the start and end of the ritual, the liminal period, the temenos between ordinary and "objectless but concentrated" awareness.

And "ritual," personal ritual, I think, does help focus the mind, and make easier the transition from our normal self-absorbed state to whatever personal form of meditation, or contemplation, or prayer, we practice: possibly it re-inforces regular practice ? The same way if I force myself to go the gym, no matter how tired I am, and get "dressed out" for exercise: dam_n if the motivation to work-out doesn't seem to arise the moment I go into the room with the treadmills and the weights smile.png ?

Ab origine Theravadan tradition, as revived by great Thai teacher/reformers like Buddhdhasa Bhikku, may reflect possibly the "purest" form of the somewhat preserved original teachings of Siddhartha, noble of a clan of Sakyas, turned yogic ascetic, and, finally, abandoning a fast almost to death, and realizing the "middle way," become ... after a heroic meditation under a Bo Tree: "Gautama the Buddha:"

He emphasized the necessities for meditation practice was following basic moral precepts, and a very basic technique that was focused not on some "object of concentration," but on "watching the breath," (anapasati, vipassana, with sitting, standing, walking, variations), hopefully learning to do so with the guidance of someone advanced in the practice, because is it not as "simple as it sounds." Certainly there were oral transmissions related to practice as well, which are surely lost, and, of course, the guidelines for times of practice in terms of cycles of sleep, chanting, rainy season retreat, posture, eating food, etc. : these are preserved, meticulously defined in the enormous codification of behavior for communities of Monks and Nuns, the Vinaya, to which Gautama the Buddha devoted a great deal of his energy.

The idea that one bell is "holier than another" is right up there with the idea that a black-cat walking in front of you means bad luck smile.png

But, yes, singing bowls sound nice; and some sound really extra-nice; they are pleasant, calming, soothing to listen to. As "spiritual toys," they are fun.

That same Gautama the Buddha also said, in his famous address to the people gathered at the area of Rajagaha, on "karuna metta:" "loving kindness:"

"Greater than all religious accomplishments is loving kindness.

As the light of the moon is sixteen times stronger than the light of all the stars, so loving kindness is sixteen times more efficacious in liberating the heart than all other religious accomplishments taken together.

By the practice of loving kindness I have attained liberation of heart, and thus I am assured that I shall never return in renewed births. I have even now attained Nirvana.

"Gifts are great, the founding of viharas is meritorious, meditations and religious exercises pacify the heart, and comprehension of the truth leads to Nirvana, but greater than all is loving kindness.”

And now: time to meditate: nope, no bell: just watching the breath, watching the "movie," gently returning to the "reality" of the breath when I become aware I've been "sucked into" the movie smile.png I have never yet seen the title screen of the movie, but I suspect it's something like: "ME !: The Greatest Story Ever Told," possibly sub-titled: "How everything that wasn't good for ME !: was someone else's fault." smile.png

best, Bill

Edited by orang37

Make a afternoon pilgrimage up to Doi Suthep Temple... Check out the vendors just to the left before the naga steps and on the road to the parking lot...

Edited by sfokevin

Bells, dorjes, cymbals, malas, mantras, mandalas, yantras, all the paraphernalia grafted onto Buddhism as it was distorted by absorption with Vedic/Hinduism, and, later Tantric developments, etc., are "spiritual schlock," but I used to enjoy the lovely sound of the very small bell that was struck to signal the start, and end, of the meditation period at the Berkeley Zendo (an offshoot of Suzuki Roshi's San Francisco base), way back when. It defined the start and end of the ritual, the liminal period, the temenos between ordinary and "objectless but concentrated" awareness.

And "ritual," personal ritual, I think, does help focus the mind, and make easier the transition from our normal self-absorbed state to whatever personal form of meditation, or contemplation, or prayer, we practice: possibly it re-inforces regular practice ? The same way if I force myself to go the gym, no matter how tired I am, and get "dressed out" for exercise: dam_n if the motivation to work-out doesn't seem to arise the moment I go into the room with the treadmills and the weights smile.png ?

Ab origine Theravadan tradition, as revived by great Thai teacher/reformers like Buddhdhasa Bhikku, may reflect possibly the "purest" form of the somewhat preserved original teachings of Siddhartha, noble of a clan of Sakyas, turned yogic ascetic, and, finally, abandoning a fast almost to death, and realizing the "middle way," become ... after a heroic meditation under a Bo Tree: "Gautama the Buddha:"

He emphasized the necessities for meditation practice was following basic moral precepts, and a very basic technique that was focused not on some "object of concentration," but on "watching the breath," (anapasati, vipassana, with sitting, standing, walking, variations), hopefully learning to do so with the guidance of someone advanced in the practice, because is it not as "simple as it sounds." Certainly there were oral transmissions related to practice as well, which are surely lost, and, of course, the guidelines for times of practice in terms of cycles of sleep, chanting, rainy season retreat, posture, eating food, etc. : these are preserved, meticulously defined in the enormous codification of behavior for communities of Monks and Nuns, the Vinaya, to which Gautama the Buddha devoted a great deal of his energy.

The idea that one bell is "holier than another" is right up there with the idea that a black-cat walking in front of you means bad luck smile.png

But, yes, singing bowls sound nice; and some sound really extra-nice; they are pleasant, calming, soothing to listen to. As "spiritual toys," they are fun.

That same Gautama the Buddha also said, in his famous address to the people gathered at the area of Rajagaha, on "karuna metta:" "loving kindness:"

"Greater than all religious accomplishments is loving kindness.

As the light of the moon is sixteen times stronger than the light of all the stars, so loving kindness is sixteen times more efficacious in liberating the heart than all other religious accomplishments taken together.

By the practice of loving kindness I have attained liberation of heart, and thus I am assured that I shall never return in renewed births. I have even now attained Nirvana.

"Gifts are great, the founding of viharas is meritorious, meditations and religious exercises pacify the heart, and comprehension of the truth leads to Nirvana, but greater than all is loving kindness.”

And now: time to meditate: nope, no bell: just watching the breath, watching the "movie," gently returning to the "reality" of the breath when I become aware I've been "sucked into" the movie smile.png I have never yet seen the title screen of the movie, but I suspect it's something like: "ME !: The Greatest Story Ever Told," possibly sub-titled: "How everything that wasn't good for ME !: was someone else's fault." smile.png

best, Bill

Haha some real truths hidden away in there

Orang37, how do you do it, posting stories like this over and over again... why not hand over your magic keyboard to me...? wink.png

To be honest with you, I don't need these for meditation practice. I have been meditating for decades without them, and I still don't feel like I need a prop.

Besides, what I like about meditation and yoga is that the only 'thing' you need is nothing but yourself.

And call it blasphemy, but I am not even interested in Buddhism, history and theory around meditation, I just like plain sitting (or walking for that matter). Nothing more, nothing less.

But as I am a big fan of silence, I am also a big fan of beautiful sounds. I love the sound of the bowls, how it resonates, how you can play with it, how you can literally feel it.

It is where 2 senses, hearing and feeling, come together.

I want to choose a bowl the way I chose my music instruments, and Loi Kroh is a bit too noisy.

The meditation bell is a gift for someone, but personally I find them soundwise less interesting.

Just listen...

Edited by Soulwy