Lower Cost Bike Shop In Bangkok?

floridaguy

First I am not a serious biker. To give you reference, I bought a cheap $60 USD mountain bike at Wal-Mart in the US and it lasted me 3 years of riding, using it several times a week just for recreation. I just started looking for a bike here in Bangkok, and I can't find a new bike under 5000 baht, and that was for a really cheap feeling bike at Tesco.

Does any place sell decent bicycles for less than 3000 baht? I don't take my bikes "off road" even though I like the mountain bike style. I don't ride fast or hard. I just want to ride on the streets and in parks in an around Bangkok. A mountain bike would suit the rough roads and sidewalks here pretty well.

I really won't take care of it. It will probably sit outside my condo and occasionally I may throw it in the back of my pickup and head out of town. I can't see me spending 12,000 baht for a bike, which is what I found at 2 bike shops on Sukhumvit Rd Soi 66 or 68.

Anywhere to buy a decent cheap bike anywhere in Bangkok?

Thanks!

There are several bike shops located on the outskirts of Khlong Thom market in Chinatown and a few inside the market. Since so many of the bikes in the world are made in China, that's probably a good place to start.

The ones outside the market are on streets Thanon Chaokhamrop and T. Luang (GPS spelling), and close to and on T. Worachak.

I lived for 10+ years in China in the city with more bicycles and manufacturers than any other on earth. Frankly, Walmart in the USA had better prices on decent lower end bikes than I could find in Tianjin. I could find cheaper bikes in Tianjin, but they were of pretty sorry quality. And I bought a couple of nicely kitted out bikes for lower than in the USA- but they were $200 and up. But Walmart's purchasing power seemed to get them great pricing on decently kitted bikes. (And yes, I know that no cycling purist would consider them "decently kitted")

I suspect that after the Thai import duties and VAT, you may be disappointed at the selling prices of run-of-the-mill quality bicycles here in Thailand compared to Walmart. Good luck!

Edited by impulse

I have never seen decent bikes for "less than 3000 Baht" in Thailand. Maybe you can find some second hand bike for this price. New you will only get such bikes for kids that everyone here use e.g. Crocodile brand. For around 5000 Baht you can by a big Crocodile bike that is big enough for adults. But not a good quality.

Sometimes you can find used bikes from China which have a very decent quality. Very heavy made from steel with good brakes. But even for such a used bike you will have to spend more than 3000 Baht.

But Good Luck. Just look around and maybe you will find something. But i guess it will not be a mountain bike for this price.

Here is a shop with a selection of cheap bikes.

http://km8bicycle.weloveshopping.com/store/

They have LA brand:

http://www.la-bicycle.com/la-bicycle/products/

Here a bike for 3000 Baht. Good idea to avoid suspension on such cheap bikes:

http://km8bicycle.weloveshopping.com/store/product/view/BICYCLE_LA_26_SPARK_6_SPEED-14932807-en.html

Or a "mountain bike" for 3750 Baht:

http://km8bicycle.weloveshopping.com/store/product/view/BICYCLE_LA_26_ALFA_6_SPEED-14932492-en.html

And for the GF a crocodile cruiser ;)

I don't know the shop, just saw it in the web. Good Luck :)

Thanks for all your suggestions. That 3000 baht bike is probably as close as I will get. Ah well, it was just a passing interest. It is a shame that bikes are so expensive here, where many Thais can't afford them. It really is a great way to get lots of exercise, see the sites, and park the car to reduce emissions and polution.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Florida Guy.

I am the same as you,not a serious cyclist,but do go out daily.

I searched and only could find undersized or low quality.

I eventually settled for a Fugi,bicycle at Bht 13.000.

A little above your expected price,but a quality bike for the money.

24 speed shimano,26 in rims,front suspension,and disk brakes.

Ideal for on road and casual off road.