Buying A Kindle In Chiang Mai?

PoodMaiDai

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just did the sums, and I reckon you are deffo better off ordering direct from Amazon.com (Mine arrived in about 3 days when I ordered mine a year or two ago)

Total from Amazon.com including P&P and Duty Deposit of $45(Some may even be refunded!)

= $175.62 or roughly 5440Baht.

Amazon UK price delivered TO UK

=4400baht (89GBP)

+ Postage to Thailand

+ Possibly getting duty fee's - even if you put sample/gift or whatever.

= Buy direct from Amazon.com!

You can buy from that Kindle Thailand website, but the saving is negligable (considering you are likely to get a small refund of duty as I did, and others), and perhaps tricky to sort out issues with Amazon directly if something goes wrong.

On the other hand, if you buy it in Thailand you can claim any Thai tax back as a rebate at the airport when you leave. You have to have the item with you but since this is portable that should be no problem.

Jan 25 2013 - Amazon Kindle Paperwhite e-reader soon aval in more than 175 countries. In Southeast Asia, the e-reader is only available in Thailand and the Philippines.

It's not available in China.

Both the Wi-Fi and 3G models (ad-free versions only) are available internationally starting at US$139.

Amazon's latest e-reader has the addition of a built-in backlight. Its 6-inch E-Ink screen also boasts a higher contrast (hence its name) and a 1,024 x 768-pixel resolution, an increase from 800 x 600-pixel screen on previous Touch e-reader.

http://asia.cnet.com...ly-62220255.htm

Oh Happy Day and now Night reading! biggrin.png

post-17071-0-08163900-1359246555_thumb.j

On the other hand, if you buy it in Thailand you can claim any Thai tax back as a rebate at the airport when you leave. You have to have the item with you but since this is portable that should be no problem.

And you need to be a tourist.. How many of us here are on tourist visas or visa exemption stays?

And you need to be a tourist.. How many of us here are on tourist visas or visa exemption stays?

Other than buying it from amazon where in Thailand can you get it.

For my self I am going to opt for the DX as I am more concerned with my eyes than my bank account. Comfort plays a part in it to. The smaller screens are smaller than a lot of paper backs and to get the font up to larger size you have to keep one hand on the turn page. They are lighter than the pads and they can do audio, I guess that you can get an ap to do that on the other machines. Amazon offers an incredible amount of Lit. free or $1 if you are in Thailand. A friend of mine got all of Dickinson s work for around $6.

As I say and this is only for me my eyes come first and then comfort. Maybe if some one was to bring out the same screen on a different machine I would look into it.

The smart phone is a relativly new idea. I am wondering how peoples eye sight will be 30 and 40 years.

I agree nothing is better than the kindle ...if anyone wants to buy a 3G 2nd hand for a reasonable price just PM me ....I rarely used it as I read on my itouch for now due to flights.

But I still have a Kindle basic which I read on holidays the font on that machine is insanely good ...

Be back in CM next week let me know if u like to buy it and I will bring it along to CM

I guess that's what makes horse racing! I much prefer the Sonys, the fact that there is less to go wrong being one of the main issues. I belong to several different e-reader forums, and the constant complaints from Kindle users amazes me! Obviously not every user has these troubles, but there seems to be comparatively fewer from the Sony users. For 'my' reading needs, for the past three years of daily use, the Sony has done everything I need an e-reader to do.

Has anyone tried these guys: http://ereaderthailand.lnwshop.com/

or

would it be better to order one fromAmazon, have it sent to someone in the United States, who then sends it to me by USPS

The model I want (paperwhite) is not available for international shipment direct from Amazon.

Thanks for any advice.

T

Just a follow up, in case anyone cares. I ordered my kindle from these guys in Thailand. It arrived a little later than promised. The original, unopened Amazon box was bubble-wrapped and sent in an EMS box, by EMS.

Compared to the iPad, the kindle is a joy to read on when it comes to reading books. I might even use it for long articles.

If the kindle you want is available direct from amazon for international shipping, it's still a good idea to buy direct from them as you have recourse during the warranty period.

T

Has anyone tried these guys: http://ereaderthailand.lnwshop.com/

or

would it be better to order one fromAmazon, have it sent to someone in the United States, who then sends it to me by USPS

The model I want (paperwhite) is not available for international shipment direct from Amazon.

Thanks for any advice.

T

Just a follow up, in case anyone cares. I ordered my kindle from these guys in Thailand. It arrived a little later than promised. The original, unopened Amazon box was bubble-wrapped and sent in an EMS box, by EMS.

Compared to the iPad, the kindle is a joy to read on when it comes to reading books. I might even use it for long articles.

If the kindle you want is available direct from amazon for international shipping, it's still a good idea to buy direct from them as you have recourse during the warranty period.

T

You have full warrantee if you buy off Amazon sent here by them, any problem and they send a new one and you send yours back free.

It is only with grey market and stuff you send through ship it to or such that you have problems with warrantee.

Ordrered a Kindle Paper White, arrived in about 5 days, fired it up, screen died by going all distorted an hour later and now completely unreadable. So now waiting for Amazon to reply to my email and we'll see what happens. In fact a page has just come up that is partly readable and seems to say that my Kindle needs repair, ah well even the device knows its buggerred.

Amazon do live up to their aim of being customer-centric. My Kindle Touch broke after I leaned on it carelessly and they shipped me a new one within 5 days and refunded the mailing cost of returning the broken unit. It looks like they may even give me credit for the tax and duty I had to pay on the one they sent me. The customer service staff are so mind bogglingly helpful that it crossed my mind that Amazon has developed some kind of medication to keep them that way - sort of Customer Service Stepford Wives....

All the books I have, I just drag and drop to the Kindle.

Keep all of them in a folder on my hard drive.

I hate itunes and refuse to use it!

Calibre is a fantastic library, will convert books to mobi for you and display cover and metadata. And it is free, highly recommend it. Works very well if you download books from different sources like torrents.

Amazon is sending me a new replacement, I only have to return the old one within 30 days. The emailed me a lable for UPS for a free drop off, but that doesn't exist in CM so they said to ship it back to them and they would refund me the postage. So yes excellent support for their product and their customer. I actually bought online due to posts here as will be back home later and the same warranty will still apply.

Amazon is sending me a new replacement, I only have to return the old one within 30 days. The emailed me a lable for UPS for a free drop off, but that doesn't exist in CM so they said to ship it back to them and they would refund me the postage. So yes excellent support for their product and their customer. I actually bought online due to posts here as will be back home later and the same warranty will still apply.

If you bought on line with delivery here in Chiang Mai would you mind telling us what the import duty on it was?

Edited by hellodolly

If you bought on line with delivery here in Chiang Mai would you mind telling us what the import duty on it was?

You can find out exactly by going to the amazon site and placing the order but not confirming it. It will be shown on the amount to pay screen before you place the order.

I have literally thousands of kindle books on a USB - not the old free ones but the list includes Stieg Larson, James Patterson, Dan Brown and many more of the usual suspects.

If any members would be interested in downloading to their PC and then on to their Kindle via Calibre - no probs - drop me a line

The tax was $67.57, I also ordered the leather cover with it so not sure it that was taxed as well. That cover is customed to the phone and the Kindle sleeps when it is closed, not like something you'd pick up in a phone shop.

The tax was $67.57, I also ordered the leather cover with it so not sure it that was taxed as well. That cover is customed to the phone and the Kindle sleeps when it is closed, not like something you'd pick up in a phone shop.

Thank you, I have seen the covers they are not a cheap item high quality.

Which Kindle did you purchase?

• 1 month later...

Having decided to buy the Kindle Paperwhite I'd like to know if I am going to regret not spending the extra money and buying the 3G model. I don't travel much and am on wifi at home. But I really don't know the benefits of 3G so will some one explain them to me?

Also is it worth another $39 for the cover?

3G is really an unnecessary option unless you're desperate to buy a book while you are away in the middle of nowhere. I haven't seen the case but I hear it's quite good, especially with the auto switch on feature. I had a leather slip case made locally for a few hundred baht and it does the job fine. BTW, I have a Kindle Touch currently advertised in the TV Classifieds with only a few weeks' use. Amazon sent me a replacement and at about the same time I received a Paperwhite as a gift!

You cannot download movies or music through Amazon when in Thailand. So the fire, which is a device for consuming Amazon content is no good for that here. It will still work as an Android tablet, but as I said above, if your primary reason for looking for kindle is reading books, avoid the fire (or buy both). E-ink screen on the normal kindle devices means that it is the same as reading from a printed page. with the fire, it's like reading a book on your laptop screen or your TV... I.e. not very comfortable for your eyes if reading for lengthy periods (over 45 mins).

Feel free to pm me or post questions on here, as I know both devices very well, and should be able to help.

The best thing for you to do is decide what you want the device for?

GREAT info here. Thanks to all.

Has anyone had a normal Kindle AND a Kindle Fire?

Curious if getting the fire is worth the extra cost. A poster above said something about it being limited abroad. What limits are there?

Great info, thanks.

I'm only wanting this for reading. I figure a Kindle will be cheaper than continuing to have books shipped to me that I can't find in Thailand.

For those of you who are unable to download from Amazing due to being in Thailand, use a VPN connection with a non-Thai IP address. You can choose many different countries. Amazon will think you are in that country and should allow access. That is how many people get past many internet blocks (streaming movies, music, some youtube channels, and so on who block their sites from Thailand) while in Thailand and using their computers and phones. I assume the Kindle Fire can be set up with a VPN, as most devices can. Worth looking into if that is an issue for you.

I don't think I'm allowed to link out, but feel free to PM me for VPN suggestions if you are new to using a VPN. It's the best way to live here and enjoy the internet.

Even before I knew about VPN's, I never had a problem downloading books from Amazon on a Kindle.

3G is really an unnecessary option unless you're desperate to buy a book while you are away in the middle of nowhere. I haven't seen the case but I hear it's quite good, especially with the auto switch on feature. I had a leather slip case made locally for a few hundred baht and it does the job fine. BTW, I have a Kindle Touch currently advertised in the TV Classifieds with only a few weeks' use. Amazon sent me a replacement and at about the same time I received a Paperwhite as a gift!

Thanks Greenside. I will delete the 3G option. You have good friends, I wish someone would give me a Paperwhite. Being able to read them without a bedside light on makes them spouse friendly.

Thanks Greenside. I will delete the 3G option. You have good friends, I wish someone would give me a Paperwhite. Being able to read them without a bedside light on makes them spouse friendly.

The light really seems to be the only advantage. I don't find the type significantly clearer on the Paperwhite as Amazon were touting and the menu arrangement is not as friendly as the Touch but since you don't really come into contact with the operating system very often it's not that big a deal. I'm including my extensive library with my Kindle Touch by the way smile.png

Edited by Greenside

Well I have just bitten the bullet and bought Kindle Paperwhite. This was my first sally with Amazon and I found them about as user friendly online as Air Asia. There were items I tried to buy and they waited to the last to tell my they were not available for shipment to Thailand - has Thailand a black ban on Kindle covers? My shipping address and address for my visa card is different and I ticked the box saying this was so but I was never asked that address. Visa has never approved a purchase before without that adress. Also I was not asked for the three number code on the back of my card, aniother first. All very strange.

The sun total for a $134 Paperwhite and adaptor was $251.42 or $251.33. The first figure was the order summary and the second was what appeared on the confirmation email. The adaptor was advertised at $9.99 a $10 discount but by the time it all went through there was no discount. I'll wait and see what happens when my Kindle arrives sometime between next Friday and the following Tuesday.

I got the kindle paper white from amazon. Shipped it to a friend in the states and got them to bring it here. After using there amazon prime for 10 dollars off and free 2 day shipping and using my aussie credit card for the exchange advantage the total cost came to 108 dollars

Great buy.

also...anyone having problems downloading books from amazon in thailand.......why are you downloading books from amazon. The only reason i bought an e -reader is for the free downloads. It's 2013, who the hell pays for media anymore?

Edited by limegreenpatato
  • Like 1