Koh Samui

Hi I'm looking for a room to rent in chaweng koh samui I do not have a good job in uk so am saving up to come to samui for six months then return to uk save up again ect how much money would you suggest it would take to stay I'm samui for six months with basic room touring the island cost of living food drink ect I know this is a random question but was wondering if anybody on here has done anything similar any advice would be great many thanks

I lived on Samui for 7 months about 8 years ago. I was spending between 60-80,000 b a month. Yes you can do it a lot cheaper, but the problem I had was due to not working I spending more money.

At work you cant spend money, on holiday all you do is spend money.

Thanks for all the advice it's much apreciated I plan just to travel the island and I do enjoy the nightlife over there but realise being there for six months is completely different to being on a two week holiday I would also like to visit other near by islands

A lot will depend on the type of lifestyle you adopt. If you are up in the morning haing a swim...at the beach then a couple of beers and supper. Home to watcha bit of TV then not a lot.

As Boater suggested 25000 Baht a month.

If you are out all night partying then much much more is the answer.

I reckon your £3000 would be gone in two months living like that.

Thanks for all the advice it's much apreciated I plan just to travel the island and I do enjoy the nightlife over there but realise being there for six months is completely different to being on a two week holiday I would also like to visit other near by islands

25,000 a month won't cover that sadly.

Basic accomodation .... maybe 10,000

Bike hire, gas etc .... another 3,000 minimum.

Everyday eating cheaply ..... another 3,000

Telephone, internet etc ...... 500?

Electric, water ..... 400 - 1,500 depending on a/c use.

Incidentals ....... ????

Visa run ..... 2,000

Then, we have the bits where you have fun.

Day trip to Koh Tao .... 1,000 (?)

KPP .... 500 (?)

Getting off the island by any other way than ferry is expensive. And you won't be able to take the rental bike with you whichever method you choose.

Eating out ..... 200-300 per dinner with beer ...... minimum 3,000

Drinks/nightlife ........ the sky is the limit depending on location and what you define as fun.

Being on Samui is great, don't get me wrong. But it does cost. Doing it without the spending money can get tedious. All the free things all over the island are great, but if a book on the beach is your thing, then it will cost you 500 for a book in English, (plenty of second hand ones around tho') plus water or juice, plus snacks, etc. It all adds up.

I would rather have a budget of 50,000 a month.

• Like 1

Incidentals ....... ????

Visa run ..... 2,000

KPP .... 500 (?)

Getting off the island by any other way than ferry is expensive. And you won't be able to take the rental bike with you whichever method you choose.

Drinks/nightlife ........ the sky is the limit depending on location and what you define as fun.

Being on Samui is great, don't get me wrong. But it does cost. Doing it without the spending money can get tedious. All the free things all over the island are great, but if a book on the beach is your thing, then it will cost you 500 for a book in English, (plenty of second hand ones around tho') plus water or juice, plus snacks, etc. It all adds up.

Funny thing is, I'd say the OP could do it for 25k a month but it would take 6 months to find out how. OP could knock a chunk off by avoiding living in Chaweng and not having a motorbike though that would imposed quite a limit. Other than that, the figures you have given are very realistic so I hope the OP takes notice. I've noticed that more of the 6 monthers are buying bikes over the last few years. Member who returned to the UK a month or so ago bought his for 18k then sold it 5 1/2 months later for 16k. Bit of money to be saved there.

Thanks for the advice I'm having second thoughts now maybe six months is a bit too long to stay if I stayed for three months at a time I would have more money to spend and as you say six months is a long time to do nothing but I'm sure I could have a good go at it lol. When it comes to visas does anybody know how easy it is to get one and if I went for three months would I have to make a visa run ? I have a private tutor starting next week who is going to teach me how to speak thai as I thought it would be important just to know how to speak a little to get me by. I'm planning to go to samui in December for two weeks and try to sort things out before I go in April thank you for all of your help it's been great I didn't realise how un prepared I was once again many thanks

Incidentals ....... ????

Visa run ..... 2,000

KPP .... 500 (?)

Funny thing is, I'd say the OP could do it for 25k a month but it would take 6 months to find out how. OP could knock a chunk off by avoiding living in Chaweng and not having a motorbike though that would imposed quite a limit. Other than that, the figures you have given are very realistic so I hope the OP takes notice. I've noticed that more of the 6 monthers are buying bikes over the last few years. Member who returned to the UK a month or so ago bought his for 18k then sold it 5 1/2 months later for 16k. Bit of money to be saved there.

Thanks for the advice I'm having second thoughts now maybe six months is a bit too long to stay if I stayed for three months at a time I would have more money to spend and as you say six months is a long time to do nothing but I'm sure I could have a good go at it lol. When it comes to visas does anybody know how easy it is to get one and if I went for three months would I have to make a visa run ? I have a private tutor starting next week who is going to teach me how to speak thai as I thought it would be important just to know how to speak a little to get me by. I'm planning to go to samui in December for two weeks and try to sort things out before I go in April thank you for all of your help it's been great I didn't realise how un prepared I was once again many thanks

Sensible plan! Your trip in December will you give you a better feel for just how much money you will need later.

2 weeks in December ...... no visa needed, just a 30 day visa exemption on arrival at the airport.

Afterwards, you should buy a 60 day tourist visa before travelling, from a Thai Consulate in the UK ..... Hull, London, etc etc. Can be done by post. Easily obtained, but don't apply too early as it has a 'sell-by/utilise before' date on it. This allows a 60 day visit and can be extended for THB 1,900 at the Immigration Office on Samui for a further 30 days, ie about 3 months in total.

English is widely used on the island, but I admire and support your plan to learn some Thai before coming over.clap2.gif

With knowledge of Thai language and a 2 week fact finding mission beforehand, the OP seems to be up to the task of living on Samui. I was going to mention food costs but I think he would be hard pressed to get it lower than 3k a month. Upon reflection, having a place where he can cook could save a bit because he could then eat before he goes out. Having a full belly reduces the temptation to say bugger it and get a 500 Baht steak after a couple of beers. This kicks back some of the money from the fun part into the living costs. I've had friends show me how to make the Thai food I really like which means for the most part I would RATHER eat at home. Not so much what he spends but what he doesn't spend.