Protein Drinks

Markland

I would always drink them years ago but stopped.Use creating on and off i have good tone everywhere but i can never accept what i really want.Sometimes just lean with some good muscle but not as much as other in the gym

or just more muscle everywhere

my training is perfect but my diet is not.I don't consume enough food everyday recently have not been eating to much.I have protein and vegetables and most meals but i don't think i am getting anywhere near enough protein

do you guys use protein drinks and what is the benefit you get from them ?

Im a very strong user of protein powder. I currently import Optimum whey (carmel toffee fudge, cookies and cream, cake batter), Dymatize (XT Blueberry, Bannana nut, Elite Chocolate), Xtreme Formulations (Cinnabun), and a few others but these are the staples.

My protein in take is about 200g a day atm and its a bit boreing to reach that purely from whole foods on a day to day basis.

The benefit you will get? You are getting extra protein, 1 scoop of Optimum or dymatize is about = to 100g raw skinless boneless chicken breast.

There are NO magical effects from protein, it is NOT needed to drink after a workout and meal timing is largely irrelevant.

If you are truely interested in how much protein you intake a day count what you eat. This is difficult eating out unless its a steak or something.

I cannot post the site that I use for my supplements cause apparently its not ok to help members get cheaper supplements but it is ok to advertise whores.

• Like 1

great reply thank you.Does your protein drinks help you strengh wise do you feel ?

i know nothing is magic cure except steroids and even then you still have to work hard

the protein you are buying sounds excellent i am just wondering should i import it back into my diet

i dont know why recently i have been eating less

maybe the heat but i burn allot of calories 5 times a week and i enjoy cardio

just eating all that protein everyday is difficult for me

all thos eggs and chicken nuts everything

i think i certainly might benefit take again

do you notice strenght gains when you take your protein everyday ?

my strenght increases so much when on creatine

To be honest i could not really tell you. I do know its a convenient way to get protein. I use them as a supplement. My diet is pretty good and i think that is the main thing. But i would not know if it made me gain extra or not. I have never seen much difference. But gaining muscle is not something that happens over night. So i think its also hard to link it to protein drinks or not.

But i take them because i think it helps and being positive is good too.

Yeah your muscle gain will be no different if your diet is already spot on, only difference is convince and variety. Now if you need lets say 180g a day and your only getting 120 then your going to be slowing your progress down a bit. Would supplementing that 60 with a shake or 2 help, sure, will it make you feel a whole lot different, probably not.

Its all about what your calorie intake is, and your macros Pro/Fat/Carbs. Do you know what your trying to hit a day?

Thats the problem i don't/I know how to do it just tiresome.But i will start again.Right now i am lean with good enough muscle mass but have certainly dropped fat and muscle.Just pisses off me when i am strong but not as strong as some guys

but some guys use steroid

i know i can bulk up quick if i want and get stronger quickl i have been doing for year but sometimes when i get to big i am not happy the way i look but then when i get to small i am not happy about that either.Pants i buy only 6 weeks ago which felt good around me is now falling off my ass and i havent been dieting

though i have been more cardio

Don't compare yourself to anyone at the gym besides for yourself in the past. If your going to go around the gym comparing yourself to others its only a recipe for disappointment. A lot of people have been working out for longer than I have been alive, if I compared myself to them I probably wouldn't be to happy.

And as you said MANY gym goers in Thailand are on Cycles, it is legal and readily available here.

To be honest i could not really tell you. I do know its a convenient way to get protein. I use them as a supplement. My diet is pretty good and i think that is the main thing. But i would not know if it made me gain extra or not. I have never seen much difference. But gaining muscle is not something that happens over night. So i think its also hard to link it to protein drinks or not.

It would be very difficult to determine the benefit from extra protein in the form of powder because the daily protein requirements are so much lower than stated by bodybuilders and other athletes that most people eating "normally" would be getting more protein than they really need anyway.

Once you're reached your daily protein allowance, the extra will just be used as fuel or stored as fat. The only decent scientific studies I've seen indicate that an athlete doesn't need much more than 1g/kg of bodyweight per day. Just bear in mind that a lot of the protein requirement advice is given by bodybuilders on "juice". We're never going to see scientific studies about their requirements.

Glbv get's about 200g per day - that's probably less than I'm taking/eating, but not because I feel I need it but because I have to eat something and I cannot eat too many carbs.

I disagree wholeheartedly with glbv about timing. It's absolutely necessary for me to get a good whack of WPI after a 2 hour workout and as quickly as possible after I finish. (but we've already discussed his weird fasting type diet before at length on another thread laugh.png ).

It would be very difficult to determine the benefit from extra protein in the form of powder because the daily protein requirements are so much lower than stated by bodybuilders and other athletes that most people eating "normally" would be getting more protein than they really need anyway.

Once you're reached your daily protein allowance, the extra will just be used as fuel or stored as fat. The only decent scientific studies I've seen indicate that an athlete doesn't need much more than 1g/kg of bodyweight per day. Just bear in mind that a lot of the protein requirement advice is given by bodybuilders on "juice". We're never going to see scientific studies about their requirements.

Glbv get's about 200g per day - that's probably less than I'm taking/eating, but not because I feel I need it but because I have to eat something and I cannot eat too many carbs.

I disagree wholeheartedly with glbv about timing. It's absolutely necessary for me to get a good whack of WPI after a 2 hour workout and as quickly as possible after I finish. (but we've already discussed his weird fasting type diet before at length on another thread laugh.png ).

I have read a lot of stuff about the timing, timing is just a myth just look it up on testostorone nation. But thing is with all things even scientific research is never 100% conclusive.

I have read a lot of stuff about the timing, timing is just a myth just look it up on testostorone nation. But thing is with all things even scientific research is never 100% conclusive.

I don't think it's a myth at all. By the time I finish a very intense 2 hour workout, including the trip to and from the gym, it's nearly 5 hours since I've eaten my last protein meal. In order to aid my recovery I need good quality, easily assimilable protein back in the system asap. It just makes sense. If I eat a meal, then it's several more hours before that protein can be digested and assimilated. That just cannot be a good idea after a very intense training session.

Now if you train for a shorter time, less intensely and closer to your pre-workout meal you may get away with waiting long hours to eat after you're finished. All workouts are not equal.

Testosterone Nation can say what they like, but ALL the big guys eat protein every 3 hours minimum. Some wake up in the night to replenish. We'll only ever have anecdotal information to go on because no one is about to conduct experiments on hard training bodybuilders, especially the juiced up ones.

We can argue about this all day long - we're never going to know. Muscle building is such a slow process how could you possibly test a theory one way or another. People saying this method or that method works for me means absolutely nothing at all. It almost like having faith in a religion. You choose your belief and stick with that.

Even if you tried it one way for a few months and then another way for a few months - that also proves nothing, because there are too many other variables in everyone's diet and training programs.

OK well here are some threads that include extensive studies with scientific backing showing that meal timing is largely irrelevant among the other extremely common bro science that i see tossed around constantly.

If you are able to provide any threads countering this information backed by science and not just ohh Jay Cuttler does it so should you, then I will bow at your greatness.

Meal frequency myth discussed and put to rest

Common bodybuilding myths discussed and put to rest

Fasting Myths put to rest

I am all for supplements but they are in no shape or form required or even truely beneficial unless your diet is lacking. The only supplement in my opinion that is a true staple for me is a Multi Vitamin. Unless you are eating an extremely wide variety of foods every day then you could use one.

I use protein after work out, and amino acids before and after work out. Personally I am a fan of it, because my diet is not enough to reach daily intake of needed nutrients and just can't be bothered thinking when, what and how much I have to eat in a day, so YES for protein shakes. Sometimes I drink one as a snack :-), with some ice cream in it, hehe.

OK well here are some threads that include extensive studies with scientific backing showing that meal timing is largely irrelevant among the other extremely common bro science that i see tossed around constantly.

If you are able to provide any threads countering this information backed by science and not just ohh Jay Cuttler does it so should you, then I will bow at your greatness.

I am all for supplements but they are in no shape or form required or even truely beneficial unless your diet is lacking. The only supplement in my opinion that is a true staple for me is a Multi Vitamin. Unless you are eating an extremely wide variety of foods every day then you could use one.

glbv I'm surprised that you have linked to leangains. I do intermittent fasting as prescribed by Martin Berkhan. I have lost a good amount of bodyfat and achieved great recomp using the RPT split routine. However, I wanted to tell you that Martin Berkhan is a HUGE proponent of meal timing. You even have a fasting window during the day where you eat your food - 8 hours for men, 10 for women. Granted he is against six meals a day and eating "within an hour" of working out, but meal even he says meal timing is important in that you have certain macros post workout or on training days (high carb, low fat) and low carb, highER fat on rest days while you are in a deficit.

Meal timing doesn't have to meal 6 meals a day but it is important.

Do us all a favour and knock of this stupid "bro science" terminology. I've never come across the term before so I'm guessing what you mean by it, but here you're mainly talking with older people who have been training longer than you've been living, not a bunch of ignorant teenagers from bodybuilding.com. I don't think many of us have "gym-bros". Most of my old "gym-bros" probably gave up training before you were born.

I would also like you to consider that many if not most of us are not American and don't use the word "bro". I've never used the word in my entire life and I'm not about to start.biggrin.png

I'll carefully go through the links you've provided and see what I can find. I hope it's more convincing that the marketing stuff you were presenting as science trying to back up your weird fasting diet.

Edited by tropo

Tropo so because you have been doing something longer than im alive that means your right and anyone with knowledge about the subject that's younger than you is wrong? And sorry but its 2012 not 1980, new phrases come along in the lifting community, one is bro science which is to basically say that it is information constantly spouted by gym goers that has little/no scientific backing besides for "thats how its always been done" or "thats what the pros do".

As for saying protein drinks are a rippoff, in what way. They are doing what they say, giving you protein in an easy to consume form. Lots of people inc myself around the 200lb mark and lifting heavily. That means to get to their protein for the day its quite a bit of volume. Some days i dont feel like sitting down and eating half a kilo of chicken (roughly 100g protein) so even with that i still need about 100 more. Thats a shit ton of food, id rather make some protein banana bread like I do an boom 40 right there.

Edited by glbv

Tropo so because you have been doing something longer than im alive that means your right and anyone with knowledge about the subject that's younger than you is wrong? And sorry but its 2012 not 1980, new phrases come along in the lifting community, one is bro science which is to basically say that it is information constantly spouted by gym goers that has little/no scientific backing besides for "thats how its always been done" or "thats what the pros do".

As for saying protein drinks are a rippoff, in what way. They are doing what they say, giving you protein in an easy to consume form. Lots of people inc myself around the 200lb mark and lifting heavily. That means to get to their protein for the day its quite a bit of volume. Some days i dont feel like sitting down and eating half a kilo of chicken (roughly 100g protein) so even with that i still need about 100 more. Thats a shit ton of food, id rather make some protein banana bread like I do an boom 40 right there.

(The protein drink comment was not mine. Please address that part of your reply to the one who made it)

Just for the hell of it I looked up the word on the Urban dictionary. This definition was absolutely classic and had me roflmao... You come across to me as a Professor Shnootgarten in this hypothetical dialogue because of the way you always claim to be quoting science when others are only "spouting" (in your words) "broscience". It's not so much you using the word "broscience" in your discourses that is annoying but rather they way you use it.

Enjoy....

Broscience

A sarcastic term implying that the time tested, muscle building wealth of knowledge developed and utilized by successful, experienced bodybuilders is inferior to the continually shifting hypotheses of articulate, textbook-savvy 155lb. chemists with little or no real world first-person experience to substantiate their conclusions. The term "Broscience" is oft repeated on bodybuilding and fitness oriented internet forums in an attempt to demonstrate online dominance as a substitution for success in the arena of actual bodybuilding.

Professor Shnootgarten: What are you drinking there?

Tommy: Just a protein shake with some carbs; I need to get my 350 grams daily.

Professor Shnootgarten: According to the 30 pubmed studies that I’ve downloaded, any amount greater than 22.341 grams of protein post workout is superfluous for greater protein synthesis. Additionally, insulin spiking, if that’s your intended objective, is neither necessary nor helpful toward replenishing glycogen stores unless, of course, your focus is high rep, time under tension endurance tolerance rather than maximal load, low rep hypertrophy stimulation.

Tommy: Dude, over the last 8 years, I’ve gone from a 148 pound weakling to a 220 pound beast doing the same stuff that worked for my dad, and you’re a buck fifteen and have never actually seen the inside of a gym.

Professor Shnootgarten: Well, according to last year’s in-vitro study of skeletal-muscle glycogen phosphorylase done at the University of Stuttgart School of Bio-Organic Chemistry Deluxe...

Tommy: Spare me the science lesson Mr. Wizard; you’ll change your mind next week when new studies reveal the opposite conclusions. You can take your research and your weak pale self, and I’ll take the 500+lb.deadlift that I got with hard work and a little help from broscience.

I am with GLBV on this one, i like scientific studies. One bodybuilder with a brain Franco Columbu friend of Arnold. Anyway just that someone is big does not mean his is right there are freaks that have been dealt the genes and can eat all they want however bad and still get big while others won't even if they do everything right.

I also read a lot about meal timing not being as needed as people say and how the myths came into existence.

4. There’s a one-hour window of opportunity for protein synthesis following a workout.

You may be wondering: is this a myth because the real window is half an hour? Two or 3 hours? Maybe 6 hours? Sadly, in the past 2 weeks I’ve read different articles, all suggesting that the "window" is one of the above lengths of time.

It’s not surprising that with this type of inconsistency that this is probably the most pervasive myth in bodybuilding today! Worse yet, it stems directly from the scientific research itself. The most often cited research on the protein synthetic post workout window, used elderly subjects (Esmark et al., 2001) and cardio exercise findings (Levenhagen et al., 2001) to make their predictions. While this is a completely acceptable practice when these are the only data we have to go on, there are a couple noteworthy problems.

Elderly individuals digest and absorb protein differently than healthy adults. In fact, they digest and absorb whey protein in a similar manner as they do casein (Dangin et al., 2003); in other words they have slow digestion and absorption for whey. Elderly also benefit from having 80% of their daily protein consumed at a single sitting (Arnal et al., 1999), in contrast to the benefits of our multiple feedings.

Additionally, the traditionally referenced Esmark et al. (2001), study showed that consuming the post workout meal just 2 hours after working out actually prevented any improvements induced by the training! Figure that one out and you get a prize.

Secondly, with regards to cardio…well, let’s just say that there’s an obvious difference between how our muscles respond to the two forms of exercise. Bear in mind that with regard to carbohydrate metabolism following a workout, there might not be much of a difference—we just don’t know, but certainly the long-term protein metabolism differences can be seen.

So now what are we supposed to base our nutrition on? Enter the most underrated scientific paper in the last 5 years. Tipton and colleagues (2003) examined responsiveness of protein synthesis for a day after a workout, and found it to reflect a 24 hour enhanced level. That’s right folks, a FULL DAY! This means that having a morning shake will have the same impact on muscle protein synthesis as one consumed following the workout!

These results shouldn’t be too surprising because we’ve known for over a decade that postworkout protein synthesis is jacked up for this long (MacDougall et al., 1995), but if you’re discovering this for the first time, then it’s pretty exciting!

Some research suggests that even 48 hours after the workout our protein synthesis levels can be elevated by ~33% (Phillips et al., 1997), giving us an even longer period during which we can maximize our muscle growth with protein drinks.

I still take my protein drinks as a convenience but they are not absolutely necessary. But come on all of us use them.

• Like 1

I am with GLBV on this one, i like scientific studies. One bodybuilder with a brain Franco Columbu friend of Arnold. Anyway just that someone is big does not mean his is right there are freaks that have been dealt the genes and can eat all they want however bad and still get big while others won't even if they do everything right.

I also read a lot about meal timing not being as needed as people say and how the myths came into existence.

4. There’s a one-hour window of opportunity for protein synthesis following a workout.

You may be wondering: is this a myth because the real window is half an hour? Two or 3 hours? Maybe 6 hours? Sadly, in the past 2 weeks I’ve read different articles, all suggesting that the "window" is one of the above lengths of time.

It’s not surprising that with this type of inconsistency that this is probably the most pervasive myth in bodybuilding today! Worse yet, it stems directly from the scientific research itself. The most often cited research on the protein synthetic post workout window, used elderly subjects (Esmark et al., 2001) and cardio exercise findings (Levenhagen et al., 2001) to make their predictions. While this is a completely acceptable practice when these are the only data we have to go on, there are a couple noteworthy problems.

Elderly individuals digest and absorb protein differently than healthy adults. In fact, they digest and absorb whey protein in a similar manner as they do casein (Dangin et al., 2003); in other words they have slow digestion and absorption for whey. Elderly also benefit from having 80% of their daily protein consumed at a single sitting (Arnal et al., 1999), in contrast to the benefits of our multiple feedings.

Additionally, the traditionally referenced Esmark et al. (2001), study showed that consuming the post workout meal just 2 hours after working out actually prevented any improvements induced by the training! Figure that one out and you get a prize.

Secondly, with regards to cardio…well, let’s just say that there’s an obvious difference between how our muscles respond to the two forms of exercise. Bear in mind that with regard to carbohydrate metabolism following a workout, there might not be much of a difference—we just don’t know, but certainly the long-term protein metabolism differences can be seen.

So now what are we supposed to base our nutrition on? Enter the most underrated scientific paper in the last 5 years. Tipton and colleagues (2003) examined responsiveness of protein synthesis for a day after a workout, and found it to reflect a 24 hour enhanced level. That’s right folks, a FULL DAY! This means that having a morning shake will have the same impact on muscle protein synthesis as one consumed following the workout!

These results shouldn’t be too surprising because we’ve known for over a decade that postworkout protein synthesis is jacked up for this long (MacDougall et al., 1995), but if you’re discovering this for the first time, then it’s pretty exciting!

Some research suggests that even 48 hours after the workout our protein synthesis levels can be elevated by ~33% (Phillips et al., 1997), giving us an even longer period during which we can maximize our muscle growth with protein drinks.

I still take my protein drinks as a convenience but they are not absolutely necessary. But come on all of us use them.

thumbsup.gif Science is good.

I want to add that you don't have to have a protein drink for recovery - a chicken breast can give you up to 50g protein depending on the size. A scoop of protein powder (generally) will give you 24g protein.

I eat 140g protein per day but I get at least 100g of it from food. Sometimes if I am too full for another piece of chicken or eggs or whatever, I just have a protein shake. Nothing wrong with getting all your protein from food but sometimes it gets tiring and you just want a tasty drink instead of meat.coffee1.gif

I use Dymatize all natural Vanilla whey and sometimes ON chocolate whey for making protein bars or cakes at home. :)

I heard that heating whey was a bad thing ? I could be wrong.

I take a protein drink for a reason. I usually eat 1 or 2 hours before training and then after training i just cant eat a chicken breast as im not hungry. I could go for a couple of boiled eggs though.

Im a very strong user of protein powder. I currently import Optimum whey (carmel toffee fudge, cookies and cream, cake batter), Dymatize (XT Blueberry, Bannana nut, Elite Chocolate), Xtreme Formulations (Cinnabun), and a few others but these are the staples.

Just curious, by getting it from overseas, do customs slug you with any type tax??

Ok, as promised I went through the science you presented in the link above. Ironically you labeled the link "meal frequency myth discussed and put to rest". Nothing could be further from the truth and I doubt that the poster, Emma-leigh on Bodybuilding.com that linked to the 11 Pubmed studies even read the studies or she didn't understand them.

Certainly you didn't read them because if you had you wouldn't have posted the link.

Note that not one study was conducted on athletes or people exercising. It's also important to note that none of these articles cover the subject of protein assimilation.

Just about every one of the 11 Pubmed studies show that eating frequent smaller meals is better than eating bigger meals less frequently.

I've summarized each of the 11 Pubmed articles. I've included important information such as the date published and the subjects studies along with the most relevant extract from each article. If you want to see the full Pubmed article, merely click on the links.

All direct quotes from the Pubmed articles have been italicized. At least now that I've set them out in an easy to read form you can quite easily debate aspects of each article.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/1905998

March 1991

Influence of the feeding frequency on nutrient utilization in man: consequences for energy metabolism.

Subjects: 2 males and 11 females

When the daily energy intake is consumed in a small number of large meals, there is an increased chance to become overweight, possibly by an elevated lipogenesis (fat synthesis and accumulation) or storage of energy after the meal.

2. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11319656

April 2001

Compared with nibbling, neither gorging nor a morning fast affect short-term energy balance in obese patients in a chamber calorimeter.

Subjects: Obese patients (didn’t say how many)

(This test was designed to determine whether obese people ate more if they were given 2 big meals per day or 6 small meals providing the same calories. They had access to additional food)

3. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18053311

June 1999

Acute effects on metabolism and appetite profile of one meal difference in the lower range of meal frequency.

Subjects: 14 normal weight woman.

A gorging pattern of food intake has been shown to enhance lipogenesis and increase body weight, which may be due to large fluctuations in storage and mobilisation of nutrients.

Conclusion: Eating three meals compared with two meals increased 24 h fat oxidation, but decreased the amount of fat oxidised from the breakfast. The same amount of energy divided over three meals compared with over two meals increased satiety feelings over 24 h. In healthy, normal-weight women, decreasing the inter-meal interval sustains satiety, particularly during the day, and sustains fat oxidation, particularly during the night.

4. http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9155494

April 1997 (not a scientific experiment)

Meal frequency and energy balance.

Although some short-term studies suggest that the thermic effect of feeding is higher when an isoenergetic test load is divided into multiple small meals, other studies refute this, and most are neutral.

(please note: This is not a study, but a conclusion made through analysis of studies made up until 1997)

5. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15806828

2003 (not a scientific experiment)

Highlighting the positive impact of increasing feeding frequency on metabolism and weight management

Increased feeding frequency leads to a reduction in the total secretion of insulin, an improvement in insulin resistance and a better blood glucose control, as well as an improvement in the blood lipid profile. The experts agreed that, as long as we do not consume more energy than we use up and we only eat when we are hungry, it may be useful to split our total energy intake into as many meals as our social pattern allows.

6. http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9504318

February 1998

Evidence that eating frequency is inversely related to body weight status in male, but not female, non-obese adults reporting valid dietary intakes.

Subjects: 48 men and 47 women (aged 20-55 y, body mass index (BMI) 18-30)

These results indicate that a high EF (eating frequency) is likely to lead to a high carbohydrate diet, which may be favourable for weight control. Our findings suggest that in this population, a high EF was associated with leanness in men, and there was no link between EF and body weight status in women.

7. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15085170

May 2004

Decreased thermic effect of food after an irregular compared with a regular meal pattern in healthy lean women.

Subjects: 9 healthy lean women

Decreased thermic effect of food after an irregular compared with a regular meal pattern in healthy lean women.

CONCLUSION: Irregular meal frequency led to a lower postprandial energy expenditure compared with the regular meal frequency, while the mean energy intake was not significantly different between the two. The reduced TEF (thermic effect of food) with the irregular meal frequency may lead to weight gain in the long term.

8. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15220950

July 2004

Regular meal frequency creates more appropriate insulin sensitivity and lipid profiles compared with irregular meal frequency in healthy lean women.

Subjects: 9 healthy lean women

CONCLUSION: The irregular meal frequency appears to produce a degree of insulin resistance and higher fasting lipid profiles, which may indicate a deleterious effect on these cardiovascular risk factors.

9. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17228037

January 2007

Association of eating frequency with body fatness in pre- and postmenopausal women.

Subjects: 220 free-living women, 64 pre- and 50 postmenopausal non-low-energy-reporting women were further analyzed (age, 24 to 74 years; BMI, 18.5 to 38.6 kg/m2).

Frequent eating was not found to be related to adiposity in premenopausal women, but it was associated with increased body fat in postmenopausal women.

10. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15640455

January 2008

Beneficial metabolic effects of regular meal frequency on dietary thermogenesis, insulin sensitivity, and fasting lipid profiles in healthy obese women.

Subjects: 10 obese women with BMI 37.1 +/- 4.8

CONCLUSION: Regular eating has beneficial effects on fasting lipid and postprandial insulin profiles and thermogenesis.

11. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10578205

November 1999

Acute appetite reduction associated with an increased frequency of eating in obese males.

Subjects: Obese men (doesn’t indicate how many)

CONCLUSION: Obese males fed an isoenergetic pre-load sub-divided into a multi-meal plan consumed 27% less at a subsequent ad libitum test meal than did the same men when given the pre-load as a single meal. Prolonged but attenuated increases in serum insulin concentration on the multi-meal programme may facilitate this acute reduction in appetite.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by tropo

I heard that heating whey was a bad thing ? I could be wrong.

I take a protein drink for a reason. I usually eat 1 or 2 hours before training and then after training i just cant eat a chicken breast as im not hungry. I could go for a couple of boiled eggs though.

Hi Rob.

Actually you are partly correct - if whey protein is heated up in a regular cake recipe, it gets a horrible rubber like texture so you need to use different recipes for it to make the batter. The main thing is to use a "wet" ingredient like dairy or fruit puree. For example, try taking 1 scoop chocolate/vanilla whey and mixing it with yogurt or cottage cheese (for the extra protein), throw in some sweetener (I use equal) or sugar and a handful of oats (for texture). Only add enough yogurt/cottage cheese to get a batter-like consistency. Then put it in the oven or make pancakes!! Pancakes are delicious but you will need some kind of syrup.... Instead of syrup I use another scoop of protein powder (you could try a berry one for variation) and mix it with very little water to make it like syrup.

It's all very delicious and I do have it once in a while when I'm craving a treat. I also love to cook so it's fun to experiment with protein powder. However, I don't make these a staple in my meals otherwise my veggie intake goes way down!!.

Edit: Several recipes available on proteinpow.com including ice cream, apple pie etc.

Edited by Neha

Unless im mistaken every study you cited what referring to obesity, some fat guy with low activity is going to need a hell of a lot less protein to live. These studies are showing that people who eat on a steadier basis will in fact have a better chance to not become obese.

Some of these are referring to quite large people, there is nothing saying here that an athlete that is consuming his daily nutrition in a 4 hour period is any worse of than someone who spaces their meals.

As for the subject of the heating of protein, the only difference is that protien when heated to 41C will denature. Basicly a normal protein looks like a ball of string held together with little balls. Now lets say these balls are wax and the string is the useable protein. When the max melts the protein will unravel becoming denatured. But by no means becomes worthless. Granted as neha said unless you account for cooking time and wetness when cooking powders your food can come out a bit dry/rubbery.

Unless im mistaken every study you cited what referring to obesity, some fat guy with low activity is going to need a hell of a lot less protein to live. These studies are showing that people who eat on a steadier basis will in fact have a better chance to not become obese.

Some of these are referring to quite large people, there is nothing saying here that an athlete that is consuming his daily nutrition in a 4 hour period is any worse of than someone who spaces their meals.

You're confused. The studies I cited are the studies you linked here:

All I did was go through the 11 Pubmed articles YOU linked to find out that they prove the opposite of you what you stated - that meal frequency DOES matter. You provided 11 studies that proved I'm right. Well done!

I suggest if you link studies you read them first, especially if you want to use them to argue that someone else is spouting "broscience"... and even patronizing them with a dig about Jay Cutler.

... and yet you're still trying to worm your way out instead of admitting you were wrong.