Police Stopping Motorcyclists

Asiantravel

The whole idea of the movement to say man contributes to global warming is very specious so my use of a big diesel SUV is not a problem for me. One volcano's hour of output is about equivalent to a lifetime of my effect on things. And to feel that a car is more of a penile extension than a bike is just as specious IMHO.

Never felt the need to learn to drive a car.

I don't want to destroy the planet and my dick's big enough not to need a substitute.

translates cant drive and no dosh, dumb comment about essential form of transport. on the destroy the planet thing well guess you swam here. Surley could not have used high emmision aircraft, or buy from stores who have delivery's on high emmisions trucks. yes pull on things long enough they do tend to get bigger.

• Like 1

And if they want to be real dicks and can't find anything to ticket you for, they will point to something stock on your bike and say it's modified, which is illegal, which earns you a ticket even though it's not modified. That doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen.

The solution for this is to drive a rental bike.

If you have:

- international driver's license with category A allowed

- helmet

- properly functioning rental bike with contract

- not drunk/no drugs

They will let you off the hook in 99% of cases if you discuss politely, because after 5 minutes of discussing with you, they missed at least two of the plenty of other fishes.

Edited by manarak

And if they want to be real dicks and can't find anything to ticket you for, they will point to something stock on your bike and say it's modified, which is illegal, which earns you a ticket even though it's not modified. That doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen.

If you have:

- helmet

- not drunk/no drugs

They will let you off the hook in 99% of cases if you discuss politely, because after 5 minutes of discussing with you, they missed at least two of the plenty of other fishes.

Small problem with that solution is that the rental cost works out to far more than the tea money!

If you have:

- helmet

- not drunk/no drugs

Small problem with that solution is that the rental cost works out to far more than the tea money!

ah well, including repairs and tyres, oil, etc. I find that I need to pay 3 years of rental to break even on a bike, not to mention that I get a replacement bike if for some reason I don't like the one I have or if it has to be serviced.

if you really really want to buy your own, then put a sticker of a rental company where the cops will see it.

Was pulled over once for being in the 'wrong lane' on a bypass. The guy admitted I wasn't speeding but said (with a straight face) the fast lane was for overtaking only. After 5 minutes of protesting he gave up and flagged down an easier 200B.

Was pulled over once for being in the 'wrong lane' on a bypass. The guy admitted I wasn't speeding but said (with a straight face) the fast lane was for overtaking only. After 5 minutes of protesting he gave up and flagged down an easier 200B.

Technically the fast lane is for overtaking only , ie if the left hand lane is clear you should be in it (section 34, I think, of road traffic "rules")

Of course you could have just got done for DWW (Driving whilst white) rolleyes.gif

Yes, picking on motorbike drivers is alot easier to collect 200 baht than stopping a speeding car or bus bulleting down Beach Road. There are cameras along the highways (I don't know the locations) that will "catch" speeding cars. In the mail, one gets a copy of their license plate and the speed they were driving. The police can sit in their office and do this procedure.

The police have lots of valid reasons to conduct spot-checks on those pesky motocycle drivers/riders. The ones I can think of off the top of my head include: (1) Licence and current registration, (2) Mandatory insurance, (3) Helmets [as you mentioned], (4) Front light turned on, (5) Drunk-Yaba driving, (6) Excessive riders, (7) Telephone use while driving. I'm sure I could think of a few more if I wanted too.

Easy solution...buy/rent a car...in over a decade of driving a CAR in Thailand have never been stopped at any check-point smile.png

Doesn't always work that way. I use my bike 90% of the time and have only been stopped twice in 11 years. In the car, on the other hand I have been pulled over 7 or 8 times despite rarely using it and obeying speed limits.

You are an exception. They never stop cars.

once in a while they do. i was stopped some months ago and two policemen politely asked whether they can look under the hood of my car and when they did they were eager to know how many horsepowers and what top speed the car has.

Seems they've got a new place to stop bikes. Just before the Ambassador as you are heading towards Pattaya. They've got a proper station there (I'm sure with AC) and plastic barriers to block off the road. Went through it last night. No cars were being stopped. Only bikes. And LOTS of farangs. All looking like deer in headlights. Must have had 20 pulled over.

I don't want to destroy the planet and my dick's big enough not to need a substitute.

translates cant drive and no dosh, dumb comment about essential form of transport. on the destroy the planet thing well guess you swam here. Surley could not have used high emmision aircraft, or buy from stores who have delivery's on high emmisions trucks. yes pull on things long enough they do tend to get bigger.

Can drive and got dosh.

As said, never needed a penile extension and never seen it as essential.

Agree with big wheels for work, but not for overweight ppl not walking when they should.

And my name isn't surly and what's an emmision?

Surly, yer ejukashon made you all yer dosh.

Edited by Soi Sauce

The police have lots of valid reasons to conduct spot-checks on those pesky motocycle drivers/riders. The ones I can think of off the top of my head include: (1) Licence and current registration, (2) Mandatory insurance, (3) Helmets [as you mentioned], (4) Front light turned on, (5) Drunk-Yaba driving, (6) Excessive riders, (7) Telephone use while driving. I'm sure I could think of a few more if I wanted too.

Easy solution...buy/rent a car...in over a decade of driving a CAR in Thailand have never been stopped at any check-point smile.png

Doesn't always work that way. I use my bike 90% of the time and have only been stopped twice in 11 years. In the car, on the other hand I have been pulled over 7 or 8 times despite rarely using it and obeying speed limits.

You are an exception. They never stop cars.

If you are saying that Thai police don't stop cars at check points then you must not get out of Pattaya much other than to go to the airport.

I sure hope you swam here then or I don't know how you can live with yourself.