Irish Long Stay Visa

Heard of 1,000 signatures on a letter from an MP to UKBA boss to support a Thai woman who's child is in the UK to a Brit husband who's visa was refused as she had had too many tourist visas (and the husband was in process of divorcing his brit wife). It worked and she got in again on a tourist visa and later commonlaw wife visa (cant rememebr the name of it).

They are very happy now. Thing is, he is a millionaire and they still didnt allow at first! Crazy. She used to be HR manager at Nike Bangkok!!!!!

As Irishguy said if you get refused what harm can it do. I would make sure whoever you petition is in Government (that is there party is in government) as it makes things alot easier because certain doors are open to them. It wouldnt be unheard of for a TD to "help" with the application.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to add my experience. I have applied for 3 visa's for my girlfriend, now wife, to go to Ireland. I had been with my girlfriend for 5 years before going over to Ireland the first time, and living in Thailand for 4 years. Our first visa was refused, on what appeared to be every point. We did appeal to Dublin, adding more paperwork, photo's that were date stamped, copies of bank books showing monies transferred from my internet account at Bank of Ireland into Bank of Bangkok accounts. Visa was given. Only 1 month single entry. Second visa, we were more savvy about what they wanted so took lots of paperwork etc down with us, the girls behind the counter sifted through everything. Got visa no problem. Third visa application was earlier this year and the first time we had returned as man and wife, have been married for over 2 years by now. Still have to produce the same paperwork as we did before we were married but this time with copies of wedding cert and its translation. I also had to write a letter of invitation to my wife in the consulate itself inviting her to come over to Ireland. I must be one of the few men in the world that has to write a letter to my wife asking her to come on holiday with me, when shes stood next to me.

There must be a better way of doing this, what if one of my parents dies, how quick could a visa be issued for my wife, or would I have to go over there on my own.

I enjoy my home in Ireland as does my wife, but this continual jumping through hoops really takes the edge off it.

Ihope this does not put you off too much. One poster says it possibly gets easier if you were married, well in my experience it doesn't, it just gets cheaper, 500 baht admin fees is all it costs now.

Good luck.

Nice post.....its a fairly draconian system when you think about it....I mean you are husband and wife and they want a bunch of stuff from you so that you can go on a holiday home. It should be an inherent right to do so. You shouldnt have to get a holiday visa for her....it should be as simple as popping down to the consulate application form, marriage cert...and bobs your uncle....there you go...That would be an ideal world. A certain amount of common sense should be used in these matters i feel ....especially from the embassy in KL. In your case married now....clearly in a relationship, same person 5 years....there should be very little paperwork ......but I guess in Ireland we cant make things easy for anyone.......sorry about the rant lol.......

Edited by 7by7
Unnecessary full quote of preceding post removed.

Heard of 1,000 signatures on a letter from an MP to UKBA boss to support a Thai woman who's child is in the UK to a Brit husband who's visa was refused as she had had too many tourist visas (and the husband was in process of divorcing his brit wife). It worked and she got in again on a tourist visa and later commonlaw wife visa (cant rememebr the name of it).

They are very happy now. Thing is, he is a millionaire and they still didnt allow at first! Crazy. She used to be HR manager at Nike Bangkok!!!!!

Odd post from someone who has previously criticised another member for posting about UK visas in an Irish visa topic!

I think the key phrase in the above is "Heard of."

In the UK an MP can only act if the UKBA have not followed the correct procedures or have made decisions which do not comply with the Immigration Rules. An MP cannot make the UKBA break the Immigration Rules; which are, after all, set by Parliament, i.e. MPs.

I stand to be corrected, but I suspect that it is the same for TDs and the INIS.

Just to add my experience. I have applied for 3 visa's for my girlfriend, now wife, to go to Ireland. I had been with my girlfriend for 5 years before going over to Ireland the first time, and living in Thailand for 4 years. Our first visa was refused, on what appeared to be every point. We did appeal to Dublin, adding more paperwork, photo's that were date stamped, copies of bank books showing monies transferred from my internet account at Bank of Ireland into Bank of Bangkok accounts. Visa was given. Only 1 month single entry. Second visa, we were more savvy about what they wanted so took lots of paperwork etc down with us, the girls behind the counter sifted through everything. Got visa no problem. Third visa application was earlier this year and the first time we had returned as man and wife, have been married for over 2 years by now. Still have to produce the same paperwork as we did before we were married but this time with copies of wedding cert and its translation. I also had to write a letter of invitation to my wife in the consulate itself inviting her to come over to Ireland. I must be one of the few men in the world that has to write a letter to my wife asking her to come on holiday with me, when shes stood next to me.

There must be a better way of doing this, what if one of my parents dies, how quick could a visa be issued for my wife, or would I have to go over there on my own.

I enjoy my home in Ireland as does my wife, but this continual jumping through hoops really takes the edge off it.

Ihope this does not put you off too much. One poster says it possibly gets easier if you were married, well in my experience it doesn't, it just gets cheaper, 500 baht admin fees is all it costs now.

Good luck.

Yeah I had to give all that documentation in as well even though we were married,

Odd post from someone who has previously criticised another member for posting about UK visas in an Irish visa topic!

I think the key phrase in the above is "Heard of."

In the UK an MP can only act if the UKBA have not followed the correct procedures or have made decisions which do not comply with the Immigration Rules. An MP cannot make the UKBA break the Immigration Rules; which are, after all, set by Parliament, i.e. MPs.

I stand to be corrected, but I suspect that it is the same for TDs and the INIS.

its a little bit like Thailand.....its who you know....I'll give you an example....I am and my family are "how can i say put this" "close/" friends with a well known midlands retired TD. I have been told on several occasions that if ever have problems to contact them and they will " look into it" for me. The whole point here is these people are all buddy buddy with each other. This person I refer to would have the minister for foreign affairs on speed dial in there phone. In Ireland problems are resolved a lot of the time by simply going to your TD. Its just the way things are. Im not claiming they are corrupt in any way but TD's are there to help. Sometimes Immigration just need a little nudge in the right direction lol.....

Im not too sure myself that a TD can help much in immigration matters in Ireland. However having done countless work permits /visits to immigration over the last 8 years (I ran a Thai Restaurant) ,my experience is if you have your paperwork in order you will have few problems.

Good luck.

Reading the posts on here, the approval system certainly seems to be a bit hit & miss, some posters seem to have more difficulty than others, I imagine theres a lot of truth in what Spongeman has said and a lot of it boils down to the quaility of the paper work, it's the first time I have ever been in this situtation but having seen the amount of different foreign nationals of every creed and nationality walking around Dublin ( I am not racist and this is not an opening for racist remarks its just an observesation ) & I assume these people are in on some sort of legal visa, I have been suprised at how difficult it is to get a Thai person with genuine sponsorship in, even just for a holiday.

Good luck.

Reading the posts on here, the approval system certainly seems to be a bit hit & miss, some posters seem to have more difficulty than others, I imagine theres a lot of truth in what Spongeman has said and a lot of it boils down to the quaility of the paper work, it's the first time I have ever been in this situtation but having seen the amount of different foreign nationals of every creed and nationality walking around Dublin ( I am not racist and this is not an opening for racist remarks its just an observesation ) & I assume these people are in on some sort of legal visa, I have been suprised at how difficult it is to get a Thai person with genuine sponsorship in, even just for a holiday.

I understand exactly what you are saying and you are right. But the truth is the people who try to things the right way normally get shafted and that's the stone cold truth. (and you are not being racist, you are stating your observation which is bang on).

Also agree mate nothing to do with racism I am mates with many nationalities over here and even they agree that it's ridiculous the hoops I have to jump through to get my fianc饠over here. I have even been told by a contact in a highly respected English school here that Thais do not get the same treatment as every where else. It's a disgrace.

Also agree mate nothing to do with racism I am mates with many nationalities over here and even they agree that it's ridiculous the hoops I have to jump through to get my fianc饠over here. I have even been told by a contact in a highly respected English school here that Thais do not get the same treatment as every where else. It's a disgrace.

True its very difficult for Thais to get student visas for here, chinese seem to have no probs. Strange

True its very difficult for Thais to get student visas for here, chinese seem to have no probs. Strange

This intresting article was on the front page of TV today, it explains alot about the international value of the Thai passport which in turn probably partly explains the Irish embassys negative stance on issuing visas to Thai's

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/518472-what-is-the-value-of-a-thai-passport/

• 2 weeks later...

hi newbepat.... i have researched this issue a lot. Ireland has no visa that will allow an unmarried spouse requiring a visa to live in Ireland for that period of time. You can apply for a tourist visa which will give you 3 months but the 3 months is up to the discretion of the Immigration official at the airport. Also note that for a tourist visa you will need you will need a lot of supporting paper work, proof of relationship, finances, reason for her to return to Thailand, her bank account details etc. You can also apply for a fiancée visa but again similar to the tourist and she must return to Thailand when the visa expires. I believe this is also 90 days and again plenty of paper work etc. Spouse Visa is only for people who are married.

Well now since I first posted I also have researched the subject of long stay visa for a Thai girlfriend (not married) and i have to say you are incorrect. You cannot apply for a longstay visa from Thailand.Your Girlfriend must be in Ireland to apply. so first things first she must come to Ireland on a 90 day tourist visa lots of paper work needed for that as others have already said. but the main reason for refusal is reason to return to Thailand. without a job working for about 2/3 years it is difficult to get the tourist visa first time.If and when she gets a tourist visa she can apply for a De Facto Visa to stay up to 1 year. but you must prove you are in a relationship for more than 2 years you must prove that you are living as a couple show joint bank accounts joint leases on property ect ect. Its difficult but if you follow the rules on the Irish Immigration site, it can be done. best advice is Google Irish Immigration its all there in black and white, you can also email them and they will answer any questions in about a day or two. Also if g/f is in Ireland on a tourist visa she can stay in Ireland until the result comes to you even it is passed the 90 day tourist visa. I am not saying its easy but it can and has been done many times over. Sorry for the rant but I hope it helps. Pat

hi newbepat.... i have researched this issue a lot. Ireland has no visa that will allow an unmarried spouse requiring a visa to live in Ireland for that period of time. You can apply for a tourist visa which will give you 3 months but the 3 months is up to the discretion of the Immigration official at the airport. Also note that for a tourist visa you will need you will need a lot of supporting paper work, proof of relationship, finances, reason for her to return to Thailand, her bank account details etc. You can also apply for a fiancée visa but again similar to the tourist and she must return to Thailand when the visa expires. I believe this is also 90 days and again plenty of paper work etc. Spouse Visa is only for people who are married.

Well now since I first posted I also have researched the subject of long stay visa for a Thai girlfriend (not married) and i have to say you are incorrect. You cannot apply for a longstay visa from Thailand.Your Girlfriend must be in Ireland to apply. so first things first she must come to Ireland on a 90 day tourist visa lots of paper work needed for that as others have already said. but the main reason for refusal is reason to return to Thailand. without a job working for about 2/3 years it is difficult to get the tourist visa first time.If and when she gets a tourist visa she can apply for a De Facto Visa to stay up to 1 year. but you must prove you are in a relationship for more than 2 years you must prove that you are living as a couple show joint bank accounts joint leases on property ect ect. Its difficult but if you follow the rules on the Irish Immigration site, it can be done. best advice is Google Irish Immigration its all there in black and white, you can also email them and they will answer any questions in about a day or two. Also if g/f is in Ireland on a tourist visa she can stay in Ireland until the result comes to you even it is passed the 90 day tourist visa. I am not saying its easy but it can and has been done many times over. Sorry for the rant but I hope it helps. Pat

Hi Pat...........if you read what i said, i never said you could apply for a long stay visa for your GF. You can apply for a long stay visa (d) for your spouse, married, and you can do this from Thailand, absolutely.

I am a bit confused though by your next statement. You can apply for a de-facto visa once she has a arrived on a tourist visa? Isnt the whole point of the tourist visa that she is going on a holiday right? You have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt you will return to Thailand? How can you do that if your intention is not too? You are also making the assumption that you will be given a 90 day visa. That is up to the discretion of the Immigration officer at Dublin Airports. But more to the point is that when you turn up to do all this wont Irish Immigration look at this as a form of deception on your part?

Im certainly not arguing with you on this, bc maybe you have found some loophole in the system, but i would be sceptical of it.

if you read what SPONGman posted at the top of the page this would be slightly in contradiction to what you said, also his posting was taken from INIS website. "Evidence of relationship of at least 4 years duration (i.e. tenancy agreement, utility bills, bank statements, etc)".(defacto relationship with non eea )

Anyway I wonder has anyone heard of this...........and be interested in other comments.......

read that post again it says

Non EEA nationals who wish to remain the State and are in a de facto relationship with an Irish National must be in a position to provide evidence of a durable attested relationship of at least 2 years. The following documents must be provided to General Immigration, INIS, 13-14 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2

also is says Non EEA nationals who wish to remain the State and are in a de-facto relationship with a non EEA national must be in a position to provide evidence of a durable attested relationship of at least 4 years. The following documents must be provided to their General Immigration, INIS, 13-14 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2.

If i could get on to the INIS website i would look but NEWBIWPAT I have just being reading some posts on boards.............ie...........and it sems you are correct........my apologies for doubting you.....

This was the post which sealed it for me......

"

e Facto visa success

Myself and my boyfriend found out on Tuesday that we had gotten the de facto visa, so I thought I'd post what we did for anyone looking for info.

I am Irish and he is Thai, we have been together for almost three years, the first year and a half, we lived together in thailand, and in the last year I have been here in Ireland and he came over once in January (tourist visa) and came back again in july on another tourist visa. I called the immigration in burgh quay and they explained that it is possible to apply while he is here on a tourist visa and that he has to be here in the country to apply. (You can call them Tues and Thurs between 10-12.30, they are really helpful).

The big problem we were worried about was the fact that we had absolutely no proof that we lived together for the year and a half, as we did not have a tenancy agreement or even any receipts. What we did supply wastongue.gifhotos, emails, invitations to us both, our recent bank statements, copy of every page of our passports, phone bills from the times we were apart, my car insurance policy with his name on it and it stated that he was my 'common law spouse' (the only official doc with our names on it), letter to explain our relationship, letter to show we had our accomodation sorted, letter from him saying he would not be a burden on the state.

I think the main thing is that if they see you are genuine you will be ok, we didn't really have any official documents with both our names on it or anything like joint bank accounts.

He was due to go back two weeks before we applied, I explained this and we got it back exactely a week after they recieved it.

Good Luck to anyone applying, and i advise anyone with any questions to call them, I was very impressed with their friendliness and the help they gave us.

So there is hope out there for everyone.........

WELL done NEWBIEPAT...........................great research..............

No problem glad to be of help and there are many many more reports like that.. if you every have to get a tourist visa (short stay) you would need to show a one to two years relateionship with your partner anyway. you have to show photos.flight tickets, 6 months bank account statments ect ect so the long stay visa ( one year) is another further step.there is no distinction between girl friend or boyfriend. Pat

Oh I forgot to say any employment records, payslips, letters from employers etc etc etc.

Good luck

This is the most important piece of paper work you will need, showing a job or that you have the means to support her

while she is here in Ireland and for her to show she has been working for a lease 1 or 2 years she must get a

letter from her employer that she will have a job to go back to, so she can show reason to return sorry I can't undo the

underline on this post Pat

• 4 weeks later...

Update

I have just received word that our visa application has been approved, yesterday I had an email from the Embassy in Dublin asking for a signed letter from my girlfriend that she would abide by the visa rules, this I emailed this morning and had a reply an hour later, so its taken from 9th of May until the 5th of July to process...not too bad, and I must say everyone who I dealt with at both the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate in Bangkok were extremely helpful.

Now I just have to look at buying the GF some warm clothes.

Update

I have just received word that our visa application has been approved, yesterday I had an email from the Embassy in Dublin asking for a signed letter from my girlfriend that she would abide by the visa rules, this I emailed this morning and had a reply an hour later, so its taken from 9th of May until the 5th of July to process...not too bad, and I must say everyone who I dealt with at both the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate in Bangkok were extremely helpful.

Now I just have to look at buying the GF some warm clothes.

Well done and congrats................

Just to clarify a few points which were brought up in this discussion which my case have proven to be incorrect.

It has been stated you need to be in a mininum of a two year relationship, this cannot be the case as we have only been together 14 months and stated this on the application form.

My GF does not have a job, she's kinda like a housewife with me so we did not provide an employers letter.

She owns very little property, two motorbikes of which we did provide translated proof of ownership.

In our favour I would say we were able to prove healthy bank balances and historical accounts, ( as well as supporting my GF by transferring a fixed ammount monthly I also pay the monthly rent money into her thai account and then she in turn pays the landlady) this makes her bank account look exceptionally healthy, I would suggest for record keeping for the Embassy bank transfers look better than western union receipts.

I was also able to prove that I would be unable to return to Ireland to live therefore strengthing our holiday visa application.

I would suggest the careful wording of all cover letters is also critical, you cannot put enough information in these letters.

And as a previous poster has alluded to it all boils down to the discretion of the officer in charge of the case.

They seemed very interested in our proof that my GF would not become a 'burden on the state'

I think if you can prove this you have cracked it.

If anyone wants any more advice on the information we provided feel free to PM me.

Good luck.