Green Book

Rigger

I posted this on a another thread but didn,t get a answer so here it is again

After 2 or so years riding with out a book or plate I got the dealer to get me a green book and plate. 65,000bht but

when I got home and looked at the book it was Originally ment to be for a 750 and is down as registered in rayong and mines a 1100 and I live in nongbaulamphu.

The book has been corrected to suit my bike and has stamps and sign where every correction was made is this a legal book. And as I am looking at trading it in on a another bike is this going to cause a problem

Thanks

Rigger

You paid 65,000? From what I've read and heard, you should've paid about 25k for that kind of book. :o

I would suggest showing the bike and book to a reputable shop first and see what they say. Red Baron won't have any bike on their premises with falsified books or that have had new engine or frame numbers restamped on them.

Some shops may just say 'No Problem' because they don't want to lose business.

Did the shop/person that got you the green book take the bike off you for a day or two to get it registered?

If they did, and if the engine and frame numbers haven't been changed in the book, and are the same as what is on your bike, then they've stamped on new numbers onto your engine and frame to match with what is in the book. That's surely illegal. :D

Edited by Gazza

Ok

Is your engine and chassis number on the book if so that is worth about 50k - costs about 25k a number to get it transfered over - sometimes closer to 20k.

If it is a case of somebody has stamped a new number onto your bike to match the numbers in the book that is about 25k.

If they have just given you a book with numbers in it and a plate that have no corespondacne to yours then its worth shit.

THE ONLY legal book is one which the duty has been paid for the bike and its been registered at the DMV place and they have issued plates for it. This could have been ten years agon or yesterday - that is a legal book.

DOes it matter - not really unless you are going to chance the name into somebody elses then it can cause problems.

I speak from experience

You paid 65,000? From what I've read and heard, you should've paid about 25k for that kind of book. :o 

I would suggest showing the bike and book to a reputable shop first and see what they say. Red Baron won't have any bike on their premises with falsified books or that have had new engine or frame numbers restamped on them.

Did the shop/person that got you the green book take the bike off you for a day or two to get it registered?

If they did, and if the engine and frame numbers haven't been changed in the book, and are the same as what is on your bike, then they've stamped on new numbers onto your engine and frame to match with what is in the book. That's surely illegal. :D

The guy that did the green book and plate is the same guy I brought the bike from I also have all the shipping papers to show that import tax was paid on the bike. They have a warehouse in Bangkok apparently full of Jap imports.

When I get home I will have a better look at the book and take it in to a dealer and see what they think.

Thanks for the input

Guy's,

I'm buying a bike privately and it only comes with "invoice" From what I have read that means it is unregistered and has any old plate thrown on it. I'm not too worried, I am only buying it to ride around our sleepy village and wouldn't be doing any major tours on it. The guy I am buying it from is adamant that I won't have any problems riding it but if I wanted to get a book for it would that be possible?

Would I have to buy an old crapper with book and pay to have it transfered (which I guess would be the dodgy way) Would it need to be the same cc or do they change everything? Or could I go and pay the import duty and hit the licesing authority and pay a huge amount but have a legit license?

Just thinking how nice it would be to have it fully licensed and ride it anywhere without worry but I think I will probably run the gauntlet and road blocks be damned!

Guy's,

I'm buying a bike privately and it only comes with "invoice" From what I have read that means it is unregistered and has any old plate thrown on it. I'm not too worried, I am only buying it to ride around our sleepy village and wouldn't be doing any major tours on it. The guy I am buying it from is adamant that I won't have any problems riding it but if I wanted to get a book for it would that be possible?

Would I have to buy an old crapper with book and pay to have it transfered (which I guess would be the dodgy way) Would it need to be the same cc or do they change everything? Or could I go and pay the import duty and hit the licesing authority and pay a huge amount but have a legit license?

Just thinking how nice it would be to have it fully licensed and ride it anywhere without worry but I think I will probably run the gauntlet and road blocks be damned!

I road for 2 years all round Isan Udon Khon kean got stoped at many road blocks a was never asked why I dont have a plate. But I have heard storys of the Nongbaulamphu police Conferscating bikes with out plates or paper work lately

What sort of bike is it???

Don't use fake plates.

The fine for no plates is I think 4500k the fine for fake plates is 1 1/2 years inside - in theory.

You are less likely to be stopped and checked with plates on your bike but what happens the time you are and they realise that nothing matches up?

I have ridden with no plates, transfered plates, fake plates and real plates

I was always happier with no plates and real plates.

My transfers were from a 15 year old bike and my 2000 Varadero didn't look 15 years old.

Jeez! 1/12 years! I'll be riding with no plate.

It's ok I live outside of Petchabun and will mostly ride up in the hills of Khao Kho and hack around the village. I'm buying a BMW F650 Dakar.

There are never any road blocks, I drive around there every weekend and know all the back roads, can't wait to try it on a bike there are some great roads!

Been out of biking for a while now, sick of the wave...

You guy's should check it out sometime if your're in the neighbourhood, I'm away working till March but will be back for 2 months then.

Thanks for the tips!

Jeez! 1/12 years! I'll be riding with no plate.

It's ok I live outside of Petchabun and will mostly ride up in the hills of Khao Kho and hack around the village. I'm buying a BMW F650 Dakar.

There are never any road blocks, I drive around there every weekend and know all the back roads, can't wait to try it on a bike there are some great roads!

Been out of biking for a while now, sick of the wave...

You guy's should check it out sometime if your're in the neighbourhood, I'm away working till March but will be back for 2 months then.

Thanks for the tips!

I would not worry to much as I also have a CR 250 motor x race bike and I ride it all over the place no lights no plate loud and it spends most of its time on the rear wheel and the only thing that has ever been said to me was to slow down going through some of the villages other than that the head copper for the area said I can ride any where I like. I prefur to ride up a long the mountain but some times can,t help but do a bit of road racing great rush and @#$% lethal on the bitchemen

Gazza you are spot on, there are two ways to get a book, a new book "legal" or a book from another bike made up to match your bike "illegal"

It is always best to get the legal book as mentioned you will have problems when selling or transfering ownership, the new registration system recently introduced is now on computer and makes it very simple for the authorities to check the authenticity of you bike and paperwork, the registration is a legal document.

I am currently going through this process after buying a bike without plate, the main thing is to make sure you have the correct import documents and invoices when you buy, then find a reputable person that will process this for your plate without ripping you off.

I went to a certain dealer in Pattaya who convinced me that he could do all this for me for 80k, he advised me about how straight he was and that a new book was always best especially if I ever wanted to sell the bike on, so I gave him my paperwork and let him go ahead. through the weeks that followed i discovered that he wasn't doing the work at all, he passed my paperwork to another person that I have met since, I could have gone to this other person myself, his price is 55k, on top of that he did not request a new book for me, he requested a 2nd hand book from another bike and as mentioned above should only have cost 25k, so this guy was trying to make 55k from me for doing nothing, I went to see him not letting on I had uncovered his rip off scam and asked him what sort of book he had requested for me assuring him I would know the difference when I got it, he assurred me it will be a new book, I left and 5 mins later he was on the phone telling the other chap to change the order to a new book.

I will not publish his name on here or his business but if you need a book done in the pattaya/chonburi area or need advice on a bike when buying PM me and I will put you in touch with the right person.

I still don't have my plate yet but it will be interesting when it comes because I won't be giving this dishonest assssshole 80,000baht

once this is played out I will publish his name and business

gharknes, if you've got all the necessary documents did you consider at all doing the registration process yourself?

Here's a step by step guide of someone who has done it.

Quote.

Got the bike into the country and was given all sorts of documents by the

shipping agent. The important ones are the manifest from the shipper, a

YELLOW slip/receipt showing the amount of import tax paid (72K in my

case!!!), a shipping invoice from the person/company who sold you the

vehicle. Along with this you need a notarized document showing your Thai

address, passport copy showing pic page and Visa/Arrival card.

You go to building 2/level 1/counter 5 to submit the initial documents.

Don’t take NO for an answer particularly if you don’t speak Thai. The lady

there on the day I went spoke elementary English which was enough to go to

stage 2. She will staple an inspection sheet to all your forms and will

point to “building 4… inspection”

Stage 2: Inspection… ride bike to building 4 where there is a building and

a garage with 6 (I think) vehicle inspection lanes. Park outside. GO into

room 2 on the ground floor of the building 4 and approach the middle

counter. The lady will check your papers and give you a small blue slip

and she will wave you into LANE 1 for an inspection. Park the bike in

between lane 1 & 2, and wait. You should have time for 3-4 cigarettes while

someone scantly looks over the bike and “brass rubs” the chassis number onto

masking tape. Take papers back inside once complete to the same lady and

wait (15mins) and she will hand everything back to you. Now return to

building 2, 4th floor and show the papers to the info desk. You will be

ushered to a desk out the back to a guy who allocates number plate numbers.

It will be written on the sheet and handed back to you. Now go to ground

floor again, counter 5 and give all the papers in.

You’ll be told to buy compulsory insurance. The Dept of Insurance counter

is right adjacent to Counter 5. Drop your papers in the plastic box on the

booth and they will be processed and you will be issued a handwritten

Insurance disc and asked to pay 645bht. Pay it and go back to counter 5

behind you. Now all things being equal, you should be registered and

insured. Last task is to get the plate from building 6 but in my case,

after 4 hours they took pity on me and sent the runner to get the plate for

me.

Go outside, breathe deeply and light a cigarette if you haven’t smoked them

all already. Tuck the plate in your trousers, put the insurance disc in

your pocket and head on out. In my case, I U-Turned back towards Vibhavbi

Rangsit road past Mo Chit Market and was immediately stopped my a fat

policeman. I smiled, handed him the insurance disc and number plate and

tapped my feet. After 3 minutes of tooth sucking, no offences could be

concocted against me and I was waved on my legal way without paying any

500bht bribes

I used to live in Japan and once did the entire work permit process myself

at the Minato-ku Immigration Bureau – put it this way, I had flash backs to

that experience on Monday.

Easy peasy

Unquote.

Sounds like a lot of money could be saved if you could spare a day to DIY. :o

Edited by Gazza

gharknes, if you've got all the necessary documents did you consider at all doing the registration process yourself?

Here's a step by step guide of someone who has done it.

Quote.

Got the bike into the country and was given all sorts of documents by the

shipping agent. The important ones are the manifest from the shipper, a

YELLOW slip/receipt showing the amount of import tax paid (72K in my

case!!!), a shipping invoice from the person/company who sold you the

vehicle. Along with this you need a notarized document showing your Thai

address, passport copy showing pic page and Visa/Arrival card.

You go to building 2/level 1/counter 5 to submit the initial documents.

Don’t take NO for an answer particularly if you don’t speak Thai. The lady

there on the day I went spoke elementary English which was enough to go to

stage 2. She will staple an inspection sheet to all your forms and will

point to “building 4… inspection”

Stage 2: Inspection… ride bike to building 4 where there is a building and

a garage with 6 (I think) vehicle inspection lanes. Park outside. GO into

room 2 on the ground floor of the building 4 and approach the middle

counter. The lady will check your papers and give you a small blue slip

and she will wave you into LANE 1 for an inspection. Park the bike in

between lane 1 & 2, and wait. You should have time for 3-4 cigarettes while

someone scantly looks over the bike and “brass rubs” the chassis number onto

masking tape. Take papers back inside once complete to the same lady and

wait (15mins) and she will hand everything back to you. Now return to

building 2, 4th floor and show the papers to the info desk. You will be

ushered to a desk out the back to a guy who allocates number plate numbers.

It will be written on the sheet and handed back to you. Now go to ground

floor again, counter 5 and give all the papers in.

You’ll be told to buy compulsory insurance. The Dept of Insurance counter

is right adjacent to Counter 5. Drop your papers in the plastic box on the

booth and they will be processed and you will be issued a handwritten

Insurance disc and asked to pay 645bht. Pay it and go back to counter 5

behind you. Now all things being equal, you should be registered and

insured. Last task is to get the plate from building 6 but in my case,

after 4 hours they took pity on me and sent the runner to get the plate for

me.

Go outside, breathe deeply and light a cigarette if you haven’t smoked them

all already. Tuck the plate in your trousers, put the insurance disc in

your pocket and head on out. In my case, I U-Turned back towards Vibhavbi

Rangsit road past Mo Chit Market and was immediately stopped my a fat

policeman. I smiled, handed him the insurance disc and number plate and

tapped my feet. After 3 minutes of tooth sucking, no offences could be

concocted against me and I was waved on my legal way without paying any

500bht bribes

I used to live in Japan and once did the entire work permit process myself

at the Minato-ku Immigration Bureau – put it this way, I had flash backs to

that experience on Monday.

Easy peasy

Unquote.

Sounds like a lot of money could be saved if you could spare a day to DIY. :o

Yes I did consider doing this myself but I didn't think someone would try to rip me off to the tune of 30k baht, I was willing to pay the person 5-10k for doing it for me, but 25k is just plain rediculous, the guy that is doing the job gets 5k, the bikeshop does nothing and gets 25k, I know how this is going to turn out.

i already paid him 17k baht as a deposite, he wanted 20k, he passed 15k of that onto the guy that is doing it, so worst case senario is he gets to keep 2k and i pay the rest directly to the man which would be 45K

i am hoping the man will let me do this, i might offer him 50k, 5k as an extra bonus, as long as i don't have to deal with mr honest farang motorbike dealer. anyone that wants to know who it is....pm me.....everything i have said is true, so i don't really care

• 4 weeks later...
Gazza you are spot on, there are two ways to get a book, a new book "legal" or a book from another bike made up to match your bike "illegal"

It is always best to get the legal book as mentioned you will have problems when selling or transfering ownership, the new registration system recently introduced is now on computer and makes it very simple for the authorities to check the authenticity of you bike and paperwork, the registration is a legal document.

I am currently going through this process after buying a bike without plate, the main thing is to make sure you have the correct import documents and invoices when you buy, then find a reputable person that will process this for your plate without ripping you off.

I went to a certain dealer in Pattaya who convinced me that he could do all this for me for 80k, he advised me about how straight he was and that a new book was always best especially if I ever wanted to sell the bike on, so I gave him my paperwork and let him go ahead. through the weeks that followed i discovered that he wasn't doing the work at all, he passed my paperwork to another person that I have met since, I could have gone to this other person myself, his price is 55k, on top of that he did not request a new book for me, he requested a 2nd hand book from another bike and as mentioned above should only have cost 25k, so this guy was trying to make 55k from me for doing nothing, I went to see him not letting on I had uncovered his rip off scam and asked him what sort of book he had requested for me assuring him I would know the difference when I got it, he assurred me it will be a new book, I left and 5 mins later he was on the phone telling the other chap to change the order to a new book.

I will not publish his name on here or his business but if you need a book done in the pattaya/chonburi area or need advice on a bike when buying PM me and I will put you in touch with the right person.

I still don't have my plate yet but it will be interesting when it comes because I won't be giving this dishonest assssshole 80,000baht

once this is played out I will publish his name and business

i already paid him 17k baht as a deposite, he wanted 20k, he passed 15k of that onto the guy that is doing it, so worst case senario is he gets to keep 2k and i pay the rest directly to the man which would be 45K

i am hoping the man will let me do this, i might offer him 50k, 5k as an extra bonus, as long as i don't have to deal with mr honest farang motorbike dealer. anyone that wants to know who it is....pm me.....everything i have said is true, so i don't really care

well the Thai guy won't deal with me as he has an arrangement with Mr X so I need to know what options I have.

1. Pay him the full 80kbaht and say nothing

2.Tell him I know every detail about my registration application including the cost's and how you where going to charge me 80k for a 25k plate until I found out just in time and negotiate a fairer price.

3. Wait until he has the said plate then do option "2" and tell him I will give him 65k for it and not 80k, if he doesn't agree then I am prepared to loose my 17k and walk away, this will leave me with my bike registered in my name but without doccuments or plate, it will also leave him owing money to the Thai guy (40k) for doing the real work, I may be able to get these if I just say I lost them. Only problem is if he can get the bike transfered to his name without me being involved, I understand in Thailand that if the my name is on the book then it cannot be changed without my consent. I really don't want all this hassle but 15,000 is a lot of money to give to someone that did nothing for it. I really don't mine giving Mr X maybe 5k for his donation which was nothing more than local knowledge but 15/20k is really taking the pisss, there is a principle here

any opinions advice would be very welcome.

4. Never go back to him and get someone knowledable to process it all again.

Edited by gharknes

You're in a hard place. You need a Thai friend to help you out of this one or you're gonna pay the 80k. Friend might be able to go directly to the vehicle reg. office and intercept the book there or talk to the "stealer" saying you know how much it really costs and try to neg. a new deal. Good luck in getting it done right and a fair price.

Going rate for a new book is about 70k for an improt

So it is not far off.

50k for a transfer book.

So as long as it is a new book then you are paying 10k service fee

If its a transfer burn his ######ing shop down.

it was originally to be a new book 80k as Mr X advised me that was the best thing, I found out from a 3rd party during the process that he had requested a transfer book, i quized Mr X letting him know that i could tell the difference to he assured me it would be a new book, i left his shop and he was on the phone right away getting it changed to a new book, this guy is a crook and I don't like crooks, 55k is what the book is costing, 3rd party takes 5k and mr x gets 20k of my money for doing nothing except give my paperwork to 3rd party who I now know and I could have gone to hime directly for 60k