Orient Thai

h90

Weren't Orient Thai blacklisted a few years ago?

Plenty of ways to live dangerously in LoS without boarding one of their planes.

yes but meanwhile they changed the name and painted the airplanes new.

Their airplanes are a bit old (OK, they are very old, but they are painted new), but else they are more friendly and professional than NOK (at least the flights to NST were). I like them.

I fly before Berjaya Air in Malaysia......nothing can be worse.....

Their airplanes are a bit old (OK, they are very old, but they are painted new), but else they are more friendly and professional than NOK (at least the flights to NST were). I like them.

A lick of paint does wonders for a plane's mechanics and avionics.......sad.png

I can't really comment of service, i've never flown with them, i'll take your word for it on that one.

You should try Syrian Arab Airlines. Probably equally unimpressive.

Berjaya Air was impressive.....

Before start: extreme strong smell from Diesel and extreme hot inside.

Still they could start without explosions....

Party it was fixed with scott tape

The uniforms looked like they were bought second hand from east germany (also that old), but the service wasn't as friendly as I would expect in east germany....

You get 1 cup of water.....not more :-)

Orient Thai....One flight to NST, they cycled there for a real long time. And strangely left and right cycles....Like they can't find the airport.....Don't know why....

To Phuket before landing they came and accelerate, slow down, accelerate, slow down etc etc very strange.

But they are painted beautiful......

Orient Thai has an excellent online booking system

...and a questionable safety record.

On September 2004, an Orient Thai 747 flew within 200 meters of Japan's Tokyo Tower over the heart of downtown Tokyo.[3]

On July 22, 2008, shortly after the crash in Phuket which killed 89 people, and after the internet publication of illegally excessive work hours and check fraud Orient Thai and its subsidiaries were ordered to suspend service for 56 days due to failure to train, failure to have a safety program and failure to supervise safe flight, check ride fraud and breaking the law at Orient Thai and One-Two-GO.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient_Thai_Airlines

But a lot of people don't care if it saves them 100 baht

• Like 1

On September 2004, an Orient Thai 747 flew within 200 meters of Japan's Tokyo Tower over the heart of downtown Tokyo.[3]

Maybe the inflight movie had been Top Gun. Tom Cruise buzzed the tower, no problems.

The thought of a Japanese version of Air Boss Johnson made me chuckle.

But they are painted beautiful......

Nice one.....biggrin.png!!

That is definitely one for the 'proofs you've been acculturated into Thailand' thread.

Looks are everything after all......thumbsup.gif

yes I am over ten years here.

biggrin.png

And not to forget they serve food on an 1 hour flight, that is also very important.

Orient Thai owned ONE Boeing 747 that was blacklisted from International airspace (I think that its still at Ranong airport). However One-Two-Go, of whom Orient is the parent Company, operated internal flights as One-two -Go until the Phuket accident a few years ago. They have now dropped the One-Two-Go title in favour of using the parent Company's name!

Orient Thai has an excellent online booking system

...and a questionable safety record.

On July 22, 2008, shortly after the crash in Phuket which killed 89 people, and after the internet publication of illegally excessive work hours and check fraud Orient Thai and its subsidiaries were ordered to suspend service for 56 days due to failure to train, failure to have a safety program and failure to supervise safe flight, check ride fraud and breaking the law at Orient Thai and One-Two-GO.[4]

http://en.wikipedia....t_Thai_Airlines

But a lot of people don't care if it saves them 100 baht

Actually they have improved 200% And are certainly better than Air Asia (older planes but better service) and other discount airlines. Before you comment on older planes check out American Airlines if you want to understand the full use of older aircraft!

"Orient Thai owned ONE Boeing 747 that was blacklisted from International airspace (I think that its still at Ranong airport)"

In May, 2002 I flew from Taipei to HK on a tired looking China Airways 747-200. Three days later, the same aircraft disintegrated at 29k feet, 20 minutes after taking off from Taipei. Though still being flown by China Airways, both that and one other 200 series had been sold to Orient Thai.

The surviving 200 sat on the tarmac at Don Muang, painted white and unmarked for many years. I always wondered what happened to it.

You couldn't get me onto a 747-200 for any amount of money; I've used my luck up on those antiques.

Edited by dddave

"Orient Thai owned ONE Boeing 747 that was blacklisted from International airspace (I think that its still at Ranong airport)"

In May, 2002 I flew from Taipei to HK on a tired looking China Airways 747-200. Three days later, the same aircraft disintegrated at 29k feet, 20 minutes after taking off from Taipei. Though still being flown by China Airways, both that and one other 200 series had been sold to Orient Thai.

The surviving 200 sat on the tarmac at Don Muang, painted white and unmarked for many years. I always wondered what happened to it.

You couldn't get me onto a 747-200 for any amount of money; I've used my luck up on those antiques.

The aircraft you are talking about had scraped its tale on landing when it was nearly new. It had been incorrectly repaired (the doubler plate was the wrong size and had the wrong number of rivets if my memory serves my right). It was always a ticking time bomb. It was not a inherent fault of the 747-200 that made it crash.

From airfleets.net is seems that Orient Thai fleet average is 24 years.

Aircraft Number Age Rank for the age by aircraft type

Boeing 737 3 26.2 years On 289 airlines operating this type of aircraft Orient Thai ranks 209

Boeing 747 5 24.5 years On 96 airlines operating this type of aircraft Orient Thai ranks 71

Boeing 767 2 20.2 years On 101 airlines operating this type of aircraft Orient Thai ranks 68

McDonnell Douglas

MD-80/90 6 23.7 years On 74 airlines operating this type of aircraft Orient Thai ranks 52

I flew with Orient Thai 6 times in the last year mostly CNX-BKK route. Good booking web site and efficient service. Simple fare structure everything included except airport tax. No extra for using credit card, choosing seat of baggage a allowance or snack. Planes clean. Safety checks for take-off and landing good. Belts-window shade-seat table- no luggage in exit row floor. I guess since the accident they had to improve. Thai and Bangkok air also had crashes in Surat Thani and Phuket and Samui. Many are weather-pilot error.- airport problems

Their 737 are coming from Continental Airlines and some MD 80 from China Southern and refitted if you check data web sites.

Edited by cnx355

The aircraft you are talking about had scraped its tale on landing when it was nearly new. It had been incorrectly repaired (the doubler plate was the wrong size and had the wrong number of rivets if my memory serves my right). It was always a ticking time bomb. It was not a inherent fault of the 747-200 that made it crash.

Didn't one in Japan have the same problem or have you confused the 2?

If you're talking about the one in Japan that crashed near mount Fuji, causing the largest single loss of life in a single crash by one plane, I think that lost part of its tail rudder.

There may have been others. BTW, i'm not an expert on this, i've just watched alot of Air Crash Investigation on Discoverysmile.png .

And not to forget they serve food on an 1 hour flight, that is also very important.

If you can't go a whole hour without eating, I think it's safe to say you're well and truly 'acculturated.'

I am at the airport and see Orient Thai is already preparing thereclap2.gif

soon......

Orient Thai owned ONE Boeing 747 that was blacklisted from International airspace (I think that its still at Ranong airport). However One-Two-Go, of whom Orient is the parent Company, operated internal flights as One-two -Go until the Phuket accident a few years ago. They have now dropped the One-Two-Go title in favour of using the parent Company's name!

There is an Orient Thai 747 that is being dismantled in Bangkok. It is in a field just off Ramkamhang around soi 40 or 50 I think.. Near the Honda motorcycle training track. Looks like the dismantling has sort of petered out over the past year. Not much progress since then.

I can remember flying U-Tapau to Bangkok in about 1997 or 98 numerous times. No matter what the date, flight or time of day or week it was always "Captain McNulty" that was out on the tarmac looking over the plane. Given that it was mostly a decrepit MD-80 we were all relieved that he was so attentive. He was an old grey-haired guy that did not need a walker to get around, but was not very far from it.

But the flights were cheap and uneventful.

Saw one of their planes today. Bloody hell it looked like it belonged in a museum.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

That must be one of the MD-80. My father is always happy when he sees one, they remind him when he was a young man....

Not many MD-80 and steam locomotives around anymore.

They have a couple broken one as well, so they don't need to buy new spare parts....

If you're talking about the one in Japan that crashed near mount Fuji, causing the largest single loss of life in a single crash by one plane, I think that lost part of its tail rudder.

There may have been others. BTW, i'm not an expert on this, i've just watched alot of Air Crash Investigation on Discoverysmile.png .

You are correct, this accident was profiled on "Air Crash Investigation" on Discovery. Not only was the repair done incorrectly, it was also never entered into the aircraft's maintenance logs, thus the repair was never inspected during subsequent overhauls.

There are reportedly over 150,000 individual parts in a 747. I don't care how thorough they claim their inspections are; they can't get 'em all. 30+ years is a lot of flying and a lot of stress and history has shown all to often, all it takes is one bolt, one frayed wire or one burnt out bulb to precipitate a disaster.

If you can't go a whole hour without eating, I think it's safe to say you're well and truly 'acculturated.'

h90 is an Austrian

h90 is an Austrian

Can't Austrians become acculturated then? Sorry, I didn't realise......goof.gif