Thai State Officials Connected To 22 Deaths In 2010 Protest: DSI

webfact

DSI: Thai state officials connected to 22 deaths in 2010 protest

image_201205181735025F83CC94-B293-5548-3B152D9F1CD61EB9.jpg

BANGKOK, May 19 – Thailand’s Department of Special Investigation (DSI) said on Friday it has concluded that 16 deaths during the 2010 political riots might have been caused by state officials, while 12 other deaths may be caused by red shirt protesters.

DSI Chief Tharit Pengdit said there is solid evidence proving state officials were involved with the deaths of 16 out of 89 persons during the April-May 2010 protest of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD), the red shirt movement.

The cases have been forwarded to the metropolitan police to conduct further investigation but police also asked more investigation files of six other deaths from the department, Mr Tharit said.

Altogether 22 deaths might have been due to state officials, the DSI chief said, adding several cases are already in court.

Mr Tharit however noted that among 89 deaths, 12 were believed to have been killed by the red shirts, while in another 55 cases the identity of the killers were not yet identified.

The DSI chief said that in the case of Col Romklao Thuwatham, Deputy Chief of Staff of the 2nd Infantry Division who died on April 10, 2010 during security operations at Khok Wua intersection, has been classified as the action of the red shirts.

Mr Tharit said the killer of Maj-Gen Khattiya Sawasdipol or Seh Daeng, a hardline red shirt leader who supervised the movement’s security operation and red shirt guards, is still unknown.

The investigation into the Seh Daeng killing will continue although the case happened two years ago and most evidence was destroyed during the chaos.

The DSI chief also reported that investigations of 174 cases out of 266 UDD-related cases have completed during the two-year inquiry. The cases include the terrorism, harm to public and state officials, threat to the government and weapons-related cases.

The red shirt demonstrations against the Abhisit Vejjajiva administration started in mid-March, 2010, but turned deadly with sporadic grenade, bomb and shooting incidents and the May 19 military operation forced them to end their protest. Riots in the protest areas were followed by arson which destroyed or damaged more than 30 buildings including high-end shopping mall CentralWorld.

The clashes left 89 people dead, with both sides, the protesters and the state officials accusing each other of instigating violence that led to heavy casualties. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-05-19

• Like 1

Does anyone think the deaths could be attributed to non-state actors?! Stupid is as stupid does. The deflection and blaming techniques are SO transparent. If only most Thais knew how obvious their little schemes were. The rest of the world needs to see such things, so the lid can be blown off the can of bullsh*t these people sell without a second thought.

I think this is a great start. Placing the blame on both sides, where it belongs. At least now the UDD can't say all the fatalities were committed by the government. It's a start.

And your great plan was for the Thai army to just stand their and not retaliate while trying to remove rabble from the public streets of Bangkok. It is not like they had only been there a week.

You are over looking that the red shirts negotiated a deal to end it peacefully and then reneged on the deal.

Only in a democracy would they have gotten away with what they did so cheaply.

Lets hear your genius idea to remove these armed terrorists with out returning fire. And do not forget they were not firing at every one if they had the death count would have been over1,000 on the red shirt side.

• Like 1

I think this is a great start. Placing the blame on both sides, where it belongs. At least now the UDD can't say all the fatalities were committed by the government. It's a start.

I suspect that the 12 deaths that are being attributed to the Red (or Black)shirts will be either conveniently forgotten or blamed on Fake Redshirts.

Remember how many RPGs were shot at targets that the Redshirts considered to be hostile to their cause (Bangkok Bank, the BTS, etc.)?* Well, how often do those explosions get brought up in the numerous Red/Yellow debates on this board... pretty much never. These 12 deaths will probably conveniently forgotten also.

* BTW, if you search through Bangkok Pundit's old columns you will find an interesting article about the correlation between the release of some of Thaksin's assets and the end of the bombing campaign.

• Like 2

I knew I should have added more. IMHO, the reds were in the wrong. You can't just hijack a city, nor an airport. The government was too lenient and should have dealt with the protests earlier and in a bit more professional manner. Water cannons, etc. But we all know the police weren't going to do anything, and bringing in the army is a very strong move.

As we saw in the Occupy Wall Street protests, no matter how hard you try, casualties are going to happen. Unfortunately.

I suspect that the 12 deaths that are being attributed to the Red (or Black)shirts will be either conveniently forgotten or blamed on Fake Redshirts.

Remember how many RPGs were shot at targets that the Redshirts considered to be hostile to their cause (Bangkok Bank, the BTS, etc.)?* Well, how often do those explosions get brought up in the numerous Red/Yellow debates on this board... pretty much never. These 12 deaths will probably conveniently forgotten also.

* BTW, if you search through Bangkok Pundit's old columns you will find an interesting article about the correlation between the release of some of Thaksin's assets and the end of the bombing campaign.

Right on. Will those 12 people killed get the same compensation as the red shirt members? It was an illegal rally. They knew what they were getting themselves into. Blaming the government is not proper. Kinda like walking across the highway without looking and then blaming the driver who hit you. Uh....that does actually happen here!

I'll try to find that article. I did see one discussing how much the "black" shirts were getting paid. Staggering amounts of money. Seh Dang was well paid by Mr. T.

Thailand’s Department of Special Investigation (DSI);

“Altogether 22 deaths might have been due to state officials”

“Mr Tharit however noted that among 89 deaths, 12 were believed to have been killed by the red shirts, while in another 55 cases the identity of the killers were not yet identified.”

Well, as you may guess, I am not from here. So, could anyone possibly explain to me how the term “Special Investigation” is understood around here?

• Like 1

If you're going to engage in "civil disobedience", you don't build a fort, bring guns, gasoline, spears, RPGs and bottles.

You assemble and if you don't disperse in a reasonable amount of time, you get reasonably hauled away and let the media photograph and tell the story.

Engaging in limited civil war only gets people killed, and often escalates into full blown misery for everyone.

I don't agree with either red or yellow shirt tactics. Both sides are way too violent in nature. Bring some sanity back to protests.

I knew I should have added more. IMHO, the reds were in the wrong. You can't just hijack a city, nor an airport. The government was too lenient and should have dealt with the protests earlier and in a bit more professional manner. Water cannons, etc. But we all know the police weren't going to do anything, and bringing in the army is a very strong move.

As we saw in the Occupy Wall Street protests, no matter how hard you try, casualties are going to happen. Unfortunately.

Water canons were tried, the Red Shirts tore them to pieces. There's a rather ironic photo of some Red Shirts using the "re-purposed" nozzle from one of the trucks to launch rockets from the barricades.

The live firing zones came to be long after more mainstream anti-riot methods proved futile. You can't go with batons and teargas against assault rifles and grenade launchers.

Edited by AleG
  • Like 1

Thailand’s Department of Special Investigation (DSI);

“Altogether 22 deaths might have been due to state officials”

“Mr Tharit however noted that among 89 deaths, 12 were believed to have been killed by the red shirts, while in another 55 cases the identity of the killers were not yet identified.”

Well, as you may guess, I am not from here. So, could anyone possibly explain to me how the term “Special Investigation” is understood around here?

"special Investigation" is when you tell them what results you want before they start investigating. The morally malleable Tharit will then come up with the "right' result, even if he has to change the definition of the crime, so that the case can then be dropped before it gets anywhere near a judge.

It would definitely be the "wrong" result if he had said there would likely would have been no deaths if protesters had come to town NOT criminally carrying illegal weapons - simple possession of which is a crime, use of which would get you shot by law enforcement officers in any city in the world

• Like 1

Can you tell me just how many RPG rounds were fired (excluding the one against an empty oil tank - if that was an rpg)?

Well, you can see the confusion if you keep on about RPG's which are generally conceived as being like this

rpg-fire-team-Gaza.jpg

As opposed to this, the M79 Grenade Launcher here being demonstrated by the Thai Police firing tear gas towards PAD demonstrators

attachmentrm.jpg

http://www.thaiarmed....php?f=11&t=833

Perhaps the "mistake" is deliberate, who knows?

Edited by phiphidon

Can you tell me just how many RPG rounds were fired (excluding the one against an empty oil tank - if that was an rpg)?

Well, you can see the confusion if you keep on about RPG's which are generally conceived as being like this

rpg-fire-team-Gaza.jpg

As opposed to this, the M79 Grenade Launcher here being demonstrated by the Thai Police firing tear gas towards PAD demonstrators

attachmentrm.jpg

To the unitiated, yes, there might be some confusion. I am not. the exact number I am unsure of, but certain of at least 3 RPGs fired. The oil tank was positively identified as an RPG. Empty, hmm, argualble, but did the firer know if it was or not? Even if it was, firing an RPG into a tank farm is an act of callous indifference to human life.

RPG fired at jet fuel depot in Pathum Thani

Published on April 21, 2010

Culprits fired a rocket propelled grenade to PTT's jet fuel depot in Pathum Thani's Lumlukka district on Wednesday morning.

Police believed the attack was an attempt to stage a sabotage in the country.

Police found the RPG's components at the depots.

The attack caused a hole at the T410D depot which contained 22 million liters of oil. Luckily, officials could extinguish a small fire and sealed the hole in time before the fire extended.

Then we have the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, for which red-shirt k Bandit confessed and is serving 38 years. And the hotel whose name I forget.

BTW Simon will be along soon to tell us those aren't M-79s

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__3608668

Dusit Thani tells all customers to check out by noon following RPG attacks

Three RPG rockets were fired at the Dusit Thani Hotel late Sunday night, prompting evacuation of tourists and reporters staying inside.

One of the rockets caused fire but was quickly put out.

Later in the morning, the hotel told all customers to check out by noon for their own safety.

The rockets landed on the 21st and 17th floors.

Only skeleton of staffs would remain working.

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__3608668

Dusit Thani tells all customers to check out by noon following RPG attacks

Three RPG rockets were fired at the Dusit Thani Hotel late Sunday night, prompting evacuation of tourists and reporters staying inside.

One of the rockets caused fire but was quickly put out.

Later in the morning, the hotel told all customers to check out by noon for their own safety.

The rockets landed on the 21st and 17th floors.

Only skeleton of staffs would remain working.

There was also another RPG fired at the Makasan BTS station, about 500 meters from were I live. It left a nice, smokey hole in the metal cladding.

Plus, of course the RPG rounds found in the possession of Red Shirts and "associates" at various times.

rpg-fire-team-Gaza.jpg

attachmentrm.jpg

They kill people and don't believe in civilians' hands. Doesn't matter what make and model it is. You can give up on trying to justify thugs firing army equiptment stolen from the army to use to insight terror and unleash hell on innocent people around BKK.

rpg-fire-team-Gaza.jpg

attachmentrm.jpg

They kill people and don't believe in civilians' hands. Doesn't matter what make and model it is. You can give up on trying to justify thugs firing army equiptment stolen from the army to use to insight terror and unleash hell on innocent people around BKK.

I recall that the granade launchers werent just stolen but were being manufactured. Several of these workshops were discovered prior to the protests/ riots and a police officer carrying many granades was stopped at a checkpiont but ran off.

Mr Tharit said the killer of Maj-Gen Khattiya Sawasdipol or Seh Daeng, a hardline red shirt leader who supervised the movement’s security operation and red shirt guards, is still unknown.

I do not understand, Deputy PM. Chalerm has told us that the assination was done by the police

I do not understand, Deputy PM. Chalerm has told us that the assination was done by the police

It might pay to check if one of Chalerms son's has had sniper training! They have experience of murdering people that get in the way. Allegedly :ph34r:

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App