One Way Travel Insurance From Thailand To The Uk.

You cannot buy one way insurance, you purchase the number of days you require for the region you wish to visit.

There are many companies which you can search and purchase on the web.

I don't mean this sarcastically, but a genuine curiosity... who buys travel insurance, and why? I've been to 30+ countries and to my knowledge never needed insurance of any type, nor did I ever regret not having it. Whatever it's for, would it not simply be better putting a few bucks in your rainy-day account, let it grow with each trip, and just pocket the thousands of dollars you saved when you are 65 as Git says, and no longer eligible for insurance?

I don't mean this sarcastically, but a genuine curiosity... who buys travel insurance, and why? I've been to 30+ countries and to my knowledge never needed insurance of any type, nor did I ever regret not having it. Whatever it's for, would it not simply be better putting a few bucks in your rainy-day account, let it grow with each trip, and just pocket the thousands of dollars you saved when you are 65 as Git says, and no longer eligible for insurance?

I guess it's kinda like health insurance. Many people never take advantage of it. But when you need it, it is great to have.

I've been to over 70 countries. Only used it one time. When wifey's purse was stolen in Lisbon. We broke even on it.

I read about a lady who slipped while on a remote pacific island. Compound fracture of her leg and a few other complications. Emergency flight out and related costs were covered by her travel insurance. It would take more than a few bucks every year in your rainy day fund to pay for something like this.

When I do my "crazy" trips, I always get travel insurance. It's really not that much money when compared to the money I would need for an emergency flight out while in, say Tanzania or Nepal.

There's saying that goes, 'if you can't afford travel insurance then you certainly can't afford to get sick abroad.'

I've travelled very widely and always had it. I couldn't tell you how much i've paid out for it in my time, but I know I got it all back the one time I was hospitalised here in Thailand. I actually ended up in a private room that was nicer than the apartment I was staying in at the time. I was sick, but it wasn't a bad five day holiday of sorts.

Edited by LucidLucifer

My mum died while I was on a long holiday. One call to my insurence and they took care of booking my flight back home and later back to my holiday address and paid for all travel costs, including new visa. That was a great service to have at a time when you are with your mind on other things.

My mum died while I was on a long holiday. One call to my insurence and they took care of booking my flight back home and later back to my holiday address and paid for all travel costs, including new visa. That was a great service to have at a time when you are with your mind on other things.

With all the stories you hear of insurance companies trying to squirm there way out of payment, that is one story that helps you put a little bit of faith back in the industry.

People like you always annoy me. Haven't you read some of the begging posts here of idiots who have no insurance who have an accident that isn't their fault, and have HUGE hospital bills that they can't pay?

The general statement I get is; 'well I can get on a plane and fly back to UK where healthcare is free'.

Except that if you've been hit by a car/bike/tuk-tuk and you're in a coma in the ICU for 2 weeks, getting on a plane might present some problems. And the costs very quickly mount up. When the hat gets passed around, I always get my health insurance card out and say - I paid, why didn't he?