Bangkok-Chiang Mai High Speed Rail Ready By 2018: Transport Ministry

webfact

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just what Bangkok needs.. another set of concrete pillars that are left to rot , to match the ones that are out there at Don Muang.

No no no these are already built for the train line Bangkok-Ubon Ratchathani!! w00t.gif

Anywhere else in the world, most projects of such a nature and size take twice as long and cost three times as much as planned.

I have no reason to believe it will not take three times as long and cost five times as much as planned in Thailand.

Will they award the contract to Chinese tablet computer maker, Shenzhen Scope?

unsure.png

Under a total budget of 983.47 billion baht, the Transport Ministry has plans to construct 5 high-speed rail routes, including Bangkok-Chiang Mai, Bangkok-Nong Khai, Bangkok-Ubon Ratchathani, Bangkok-Rayong, and Bangkok-Padang Besar.

I look forward to riding the 1,347 kilometers of high-speed rail between chiang mai and padang besar in six years.

Don`t raise your hopes too high as it will never happen.

Regarding the estimated budget, no way Jose.

I can remember in the UK way back in the 1960s when they were building the London Jubilee line, by the time the project was finally completed the budget had risen 6 fold and it was the same situation when they were building the channel tunnel England/France rail link. The estimated costs were increasing month by month. I believe in the end the whole project cost 10 times more than what they first estimated.

Those that are involved with the new high speed Bangkok/Chiang Mai railway should be studying some historic facts before announcing a date of completion.

It will probably happen, but not in the next 6 years.

historic facts do nothing. They should be studying the ground that they will have to cover. What is suitable and what will have to be replaced and where will they have to build bridges. Then do a estimate of the costs and time involved.

Brilliant idea to propel Thailand into the hi-tek era,...

... this will go along perfectly with the nuclear power station plans,.. 4G, and computer tablets for all 6 year old students!

So we have the next 6 years to develop a public awareness campaign for Pick-up truck drivers to train them to flash their headlights sooner, faster, longer at road/rail crossings to allow time for the high speed train to slow down enough to allow them to complete their uninterrupted rail crossings!

• Like 1

Despite what we've been told by Western media, after Japan's gold-plated Shinkansen, the Chinese high speed rail system is the safest on earth. Remember, the country is run by 8 engineers. Rail safety is measured in fatalities per TPM, or trillion passenger miles. China's bigger, faster system is much safer than Germany's or France's. Much, much safer.

The allegation that the Chinese equipment infringes on Western IP is also rubbish. The Chinese paid billions in licence fees to France and Germany, then went ahead and improved on the designs they'd bought. Siemens complained so the German government sent a commission of 9 engineers and patent attorneys to China for 6 months to investigate. Their report? "No infringement". Today China holds more high speed rail patents than any country on earth.

• Like 2

Doesn't a feasibility study try to determine WHETHER the project is feasible? Perhaps announcing the completion date is a little premature.

Some of the land in the railway corridors may need to be resumed, I guess... and equipment purchased... that's a lot of concrete and rails... 6 years, huh? ... hmmmmm

Plus it will have to go through some flood prone areas ... oh sorry, I forgot, that's all been dealt with hasn't it..!

Seriously, they couldn't get a BTS extension operative without a year and a half delay, what chance do they have of completing a very complex high-speed rail system?.

BTW, who's gonna be the first volunteers to try it out? I reckon I'll sit on the sidelines and watch for about three years before I try it!

I remember the accident of the high speed train in China last year ...... is it the same model which will come in Thailand ? The Chinese only copied the french TGV I just wonder if it will be as reliable. I guess not ....China is famous for his low quality products.

I think it was a copy of a Siemens high speed train, may be a mixture - everything is possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_rail_in_China

Edited by lungmi

Nice to have a government of action and not only words.

300 baht...tablets...high-speed rail...beats hot air balloons, submarines & wars with our neighbours!

If they don't manage (wrong word) get their act together with the flood situation, you could have a high-speed submarine passing through Singburi/Lopburi during the rainy season on it's way north/south!

Wow, that would be the first terrestrial submarine. Can you imagine how much revenue it would generate? The new flagship project of the Tourism Authority of Thailand cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Could be a scary ride, get the cheapest contractor who pays the highest bribe, build with the cheapest materials available, lose a big piece of the bugdet to various government officials who will want to charge various 'administrative fees'. Should be a quality piece of work. :huh:

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

I hope they use wide gauge track because I wouldn't fancy doing 180mph on a narrow gauge. I wonder if the train drivers will get further training ? When we went up to CM on the ' express ' train 4 years ago, it averaged 40mph -- not that much difference I suppose.

there should be a high speed train network throughout SE Asia. Singapore - KL - BKK - Chiang-Mai and also BKK - Phnom Penh - Ho Chi Minh - Hanoi and maybe link up to China from there. In the long run this would reduce over saturated air-traffic in the region. Both Europe and China are way ahead of the States in this technologies, also slow AM-Trak seems always to have tons accidents, so China bashing does not impress

• Like 2

Both Korea and Taiwan have these bullet trains that are relatively new and Japan has had theirs for a long time. Why not consult with them on how to do it right.

You mean ask someone with experience and expertise for help? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by Kananga
  • Like 1

Why just Chiang Mai why not go up a few more miles to Chiang Rai too, whilst I would welcome a faster service, it seems like a certain family are doing the best they can to benefit their own home town.

Chiang Rai is a tiny little town comparing to Chiang Mai.

Ever heard of places developing because they have a railway, last time I looked Chiang Rai doesn't seem to have one. A few more miles into Chiang Rai even at reduced speeds would bring some economic benefits to the people of that town.

Yes, would bring benefits but It is not only a few miles. From what you said the implication was that certain politicians tangle the web around this project this is why Chiang Rai would not be on the line.

In China's defence, the GuangZhou underground system is marvellous and was put together in no time at all. They do know how to get a job done, quickly and efficiently. In China there is at least some effort to beat corruption, which is completely lacking in Thai culture.

The main train station in Bangkok, Hua Lamphong is currently having a skytrain station built. The estimated completion time is 5 years. That sound very slow to me. How on earth could they get a high speed train system of 1,350kms installed from Bangkok to Chiangmai in just 6 years. When it takes 5 years to build one sky train station. Impossible.

Edited by Pui
  • Like 1

Both Korea and Taiwan have these bullet trains that are relatively new and Japan has had theirs for a long time. Why not consult with them on how to do it right.

because the Thai (government, industry, trade) have their blood, heart, and money lines intermingled with the Chinese, not with Korea or Japan

• Like 1

I do not think Thailand is ready for this, let them solve the flood problems first and learn Thai to drive. Such a railway is asking for many problems and a need of thousants of security personel.

Ah, you see, that's precisely the reason for extending the railway network: get more people off the roads... ;-)

• Like 1

It is a good intention... So, bravo. (french proverb: hell is paved with good intentions)

Now for the realisation...plenty of things to fix, cross roads, free buffalos crossing the rails, floods....2018 is obviously too optimistic with all the collateral issues.

But, what I fear much is all the possibilities of corruption around such a sharp project and the disastrous results which may occur when non respecting the specifications and doing low cost "same- same" for masking the grabbed tea money.

We have to encourage them but obviously it will take more time

Having a first hand view of China's system, abit living in HK, one would hope they build a system subject to the specifications, ah la no corruption, no ripping money out of projects into pockets, can U believe that China's vast system has no lightning strike rods, that major safety , machanical, electrical problems, they have created, has resulted in the founding father and fifty of he's cronies now living in prison, and a comlete suspension of all major works pending a comminssion enquiry and to top it all off ABB were astounded when reported that the H/Speed train drivers only do 8 hrs training in a simulator, the average is 3 to 5 years in europe.I rest my case your honour. cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Here we go with a bunch of stupid ignorant negative comments about something positive the Thais are trying to do to improve conditions. Go home.

Pity they couldn't choose a different project partner, do some research on China's plagued system, you'll be amazed at your findings.

Why just Chiang Mai why not go up a few more miles to Chiang Rai too, whilst I would welcome a faster service, it seems like a certain family are doing the best they can to benefit their own home town.

Chiang Rai is a tiny little town comparing to Chiang Mai.

Ever heard of places developing because they have a railway, last time I looked Chiang Rai doesn't seem to have one. A few more miles into Chiang Rai even at reduced speeds would bring some economic benefits to the people of that town.

If you think about taking the line to Chiang Rai, why not carry it one step further and link it up to southern China . . . especially considering they are the ones funding the thing. Wouldn't it be nice to hop on a train in Singapore/BKK/CM and go all the way to Lhasa?